• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200305_200009 (resized).jpg
20200224_212433 (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

I've had this game for about 17 years with no trouble but now a lot of crazy stuff is happening.
First it powered up with sound but no picture and only a few lights on the playfield.
I cleaned all the connectors amd tried again.
Then one of the coils made a loud noise so i turned it off.

I tried again and then i had video + all the lights on the playfield but i noticed that the high s ore table jad beem reset.
Played a game and seemed to be ok.I then let stay on and after about 30 min. i heard the power up sound and turned it off.
When i turned it back on it suddenly had a different high score table (first one had 500000 as the highest score and the second one had 300000 as the highest score)

After a little while ,the sreen looked like this.

Any suggestions om what the problem can be ?
Mabye the vidiot pcb ?

20200224_212433 (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago

Any tips on what the problem could be ?

#3 1 year ago

That screen indicates that there is no connectivity between the MPU and Vidiot board. That could either be because there is no physical connection, or something is seriously wrong with one or both boards.

Considering that you can access that diagnostic screen, the vidiot board goes through a full boot, so that's probably fine.

Did you mix up any of the connectors?

If not, there could be a problem with the MPU. Does it go through all the LED flashes? Is there any battery damage from a leaking battery?

1 week later
#4 1 year ago

Led flashes on both MPU and Vidiot board upon power-up with tune.
Battery is all good.
Now nothing shows up on the screen and only a couple of lights on the playfield but sometimes everything seems normal but after awhile it goes back to "communications rcv xmit rcv" whatever that means.

20200305_200009 (resized).jpg
#5 1 year ago
Quoted from BentleyBear:

Battery is all good.

So you get the appropriate amount of flashes on the MPU? Is that what you are saying? It looks like you might have some battery puke on your board...

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

So you get the appropriate amount of flashes on the MPU? Is that what you are saying? It looks like you might have some battery puke on your board...

Yeah, there's a lot of untreated battery damage there.

How many flashes are you seeing on the MPU?

Quoted from BentleyBear:

it goes back to "communications rcv xmit rcv" whatever that means.

That's the diagnostic screen for showing if there's a communication problem between the MPU and vidiot board. Normally, there would be two columns of numbers under the transmit and receive labels.

https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Baby_Pac-Man#Communications_Test_Problems

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from BentleyBear:

[quoted image]

The led doesn't just 'flash', it goes through a start up test and gives a flash for each successful test. The vidiot should have 10 flashes, and the mpu should have 6 (iirc) on baby pac. If either board doesn't fully boot the game will not work. Confirming that each board is booting will help narrow down your problem to one board, or the communication circuit between them.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from gutz:

The led doesn't just 'flash', it goes through a start up test and gives a flash for each successful test. The vidiot should have 10 flashes, and the mpu should have 6 (iirc) on baby pac. If either board doesn't fully boot the game will not work. Confirming that each board is booting will help narrow down your problem to one board, or the communication circuit between them.

Thanks for the info.I'll check both boards on how many times they each flash.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yeah, there's a lot of untreated battery damage there.
How many flashes are you seeing on the MPU?

That's the diagnostic screen for showing if there's a communication problem between the MPU and vidiot board. Normally, there would be two columns of numbers under the transmit and receive labels.
https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Baby_Pac-Man#Communications_Test_Problems

Thanks for the link and tips.

#10 1 year ago

Led on MPU stays lit.
Led on Vidiot board flashes 10 times.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from BentleyBear:

Led on MPU stays lit.

Then your mpu is not booting. You'll probably need to address the battery damage. If you don't want to repair it yourself or send it out for repair, there are a couple of aftermarket replacement options available.

https://nvram.weebly.com/new-pcbs.html

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Then your mpu is not booting. You'll probably need to address the battery damage. If you don't want to repair it yourself or send it out for repair, there are a couple of aftermarket replacement options available.
https://nvram.weebly.com/new-pcbs.html

Thanks. Decided to invest in a new MPU.After a closer inspection, the old MPU looks ready for retirement

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from BentleyBear:

the old MPU looks ready for retirement

How much for the old one? I'll bring her back.

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

How much for the old one? I'll bring her back.

I have a tech guy who can try to fix it but i figured baby pac deserved a new board at this point.

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from BentleyBear:

I have a tech guy who can try to fix it but i figured baby pac deserved a new board at this point.

I’ve got a few spare MPUs. They’re perfectly fine. It’s just likely your untreated battery damage cooked or severed some traces. Get it repaired and keep it for a backup. Baby Pac always has issues. I’ve had mine 3 years now and the damn thing loves to randomly shit it’s diaper. I totally understand why ops hated it.

4 weeks later
#16 1 year ago

Installed the new MPU ,boots correctly but no image on the screen.
Vidiot led flashes 10 times.

#17 1 year ago

Any tip on what i need to check next ?

#18 1 year ago

Easter bump

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside