Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by johnnyutah
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

If you're looking to but one of these which one is best ? Gameplay ? Reliability / parts ? Are any fun or cool to own ?

Or just call me an idiot for considering it... Take your pick. : )

#2 8 years ago

The weak link in all these systems are the video boards and monitors.

Baby Pacman is probably the easiest to find. I've seen half a dozen of them crop up in the past few months. There was one non-working one for sale in the marketplace not too long ago. As long as you have a working monitor and a vidiot board that isn't hacked up, it's pretty fairly servicable. There are some quirks that make it different than a standard -35 Bally system which might trip you up during troubleshooting (ie, no voltage for digit displays and one less diagnostic flash on the MPU). Side art, plastics, the control panel overlay, and a playfield overlay are all available from phoenix arcade. Decals for the spinners are available, but some are poor quality. Classic Arcades remade the entire spinner a while back--not sure if they are still in stock or not.

Granny is a rarer find, but I've seen 2 of those crop up in the past few months. One is still available, I think. Supposedly, the gameplay isn't all that great, but I haven't had the opportunity yet to play one. Baby Pacman has more appeal because, well, it's pacman. The last time I had some folks over, they all seemed to gravitate to the Baby Pacman machine first rather than the pins since the theme was somewhat familiar, I think. Granny is probably a bit more difficult to restore/service since it's a rarer game, and parts are harder to find. The vidiot deluxe board is nearly impossible to find. I saw one for nearly $600 on ksarcade a few months back.

I saw one caveman for sale in the past year. From what I understand, the backbox is very top-heavy, and is known for breaking at the neck. I don't know much more beyond that, but from what I've heard, it's looked down upon as a game that doesn't play very well. But, either way, it's on my wishlist if I happen across one for the right price.

Personally, I find these hybrid machines fairly interesting. Also, since there's barely any info on these machines, I ended up adding a bunch of info on pinwiki on Baby Pacman.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baby-pacman-clubwaka-waka-waka

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Baby_Pac-Man

#3 8 years ago

Great reply Ty !!!! Ok who wants to sell me a baby pacman ?

#4 8 years ago

I'd say Caveman is the best, as it's the "most pinball".

I'm a huge Pac-Man fan...but Baby Pac-Man sucks. I love how the cabinet looks...but the Pac portion is terrible with eye-less ghosts and bad mazes, and the pinball portion is boring. I'd rather have any of the "real " Pac-Man games & a Mr. & Mrs. Pac-Man Pinball.

Granny flat out blows.

#5 8 years ago

Baby Pac - been in my line up 5 years + still love it and gets non-pinheads in the room.
Granny just is dull.
If you like Pac man (bad mazes and slow as it may be..)its cool interaction with lower PF.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

If you're looking to but one of these which one is best ? Gameplay ? Reliability / parts ? Are any fun or cool to own ?

Oh dude, its a nicer Pinside so I don't want to use your "I" word from your last choice, so lets just say you are acting like an uninformed enthusiast that might be heading down a bad path.

I knew better than Baby Pac from bad play and seeing years of people trying to dump. And my friends talked me out of Caveman after seeing those PCBs lined up and looking scary just to run a simple video game inside that cab.

As Officer Bar Brady would say - "Move along, nothing to see here"

A screw it, look at your collection. Get all 3

#7 8 years ago

Baby Pacs are easy to come by and there are plenty of parts out there for it. Gameplay kinda sucks but its a unique piece to have in a collection. Yes the video part looks very much like an afterthought but the pin side is decent for a small playfield.
I have seen a few Grannys for sale in the past year, they are out there but nowhere close to the numbers of baby pac.

#9 8 years ago

It's a novelty piece. I watched some videos of baby pac and it looked neat. Playing the pinball to earn stuff for the video game. I know neither part is a homerun, but I do enjoy oddball stuff. I have a bunch of odd vintage arcade games and they are always a fun diversion. Keep the opinions coming.

#10 8 years ago

I would love to find a good granny. Played one quite a long time ago and got pretty good at the arcade portion of it. It's very fun game for me.

#11 8 years ago

I had a baby pacman. Its actually not a bad game. I have played caveman and granny.
They both suck.

Granny is boring. And caveman is more of a real pinball machine but the the sounds are horrible. And the vid portion is bad.

Baby pacman wasn't a keeper for me. But I do miss it. The video game portion is good for what it is, a harder version of pacman. And the pinball part is fun too.

Pick Baby pacman 100% out of the 3 choices.

#12 8 years ago

I find that most people do not realize you need to play the pinball portion to earn power pellets in the video on baby pac. Once they realize the strategy the game makes more sense and its fun to play. The video part is very difficult so if you enjoy a challenge this is your game.

#13 8 years ago

I love these games

Played baby quite a few times but never played the others, I would love too

#14 8 years ago

3 turds, but Baby Pac is the best of the 3.

#15 8 years ago

I understand all the hate for Caveman but of those three, I would love to bring home a mint, fully working example. Used to play it all the time as a kid.

#16 8 years ago

Baby Pac will never leave our collection. Game is amazing.

#17 8 years ago

I might be willing to part with my Baby Pacman. I'm unavailable for a few days and need to make sure the girlfriend won't mind. PM if interested I'm a couple hours from you Pinball Star

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from ff6735:

I might be willing to part with my Baby Pacman. I'm unavailable for a few days and need to make sure the girlfriend won't mind. PM if interested I'm a couple hours from you Pinball Star

Hmmm.... Tell the girlfriend you will give her some sweet lovin' and sell it to me... lol That's a new one the girlfriend / wife NOT letting you sell something... She's a keeper ! : )

PM sent

#19 8 years ago

Baby Pac

GatG

Caveman

So many people didn't want Caveman Todd had to destroy some:

viperrwk

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

Hmmm.... Tell the girlfriend you will give her some sweet lovin' and sell it to me... lol That's a new one the girlfriend / wife NOT letting you sell something... She's a keeper ! : )
PM sent

Agreed, she likes it for its novelty but she gravitates way more towards ACDC these days so she will probably be ok with it tho. You're right tho, she's great, usually always goes with me to get or look at games and even helps with break down, set up and going up and down stairs etc. She is pretty awesome.

#21 8 years ago

Baby Pacman for all the reasons stated. Non-pinheads visiting our gameroom still line up to play it.

#22 8 years ago

Baby Pac is a non-pinhead favorite at my house too.

I haven't played the others, but if you like pacman, and a challenge, get baby pac. If you take the time to learn the strategy, it opens up quite a bit.

Btw, for those of you that are dogging on the mazes of baby pac, you should get better so you can maybe get to levels 7,8, and 9 and beyond.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Baby Pac is a non-pinhead favorite at my house too.
I haven't played the others, but if you like pacman, and a challenge, get baby pac. If you take the time to learn the strategy, it opens up quite a bit.
Btw, for those of you that are dogging on the mazes of baby pac, you should get better so you can maybe get to levels 7,8, and 9 and beyond.

I have to keep it on 5 ball. The game really kicks my ass, but I like it.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

You should have added a poll on which to get.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

I have to keep it on 5 ball. The game really kicks my ass, but I like it.

I had it on 5 for the longest time, then recently switched to three. Game kicks my ass now. Cannot make any mistakes and it's hard to get past the second set of levels. I need at least two lives to get through the third level type. So hard.

#26 8 years ago

I recently pick one of these, baby pac . Nice game i like to switch between video and pinball. Like wise non pinhead magnet for sure .
It seems to draw kids to playing pinball.

#27 8 years ago

I've got a Baby Pac and love it. The Pinball portion is fun and the maze, despite not the best graphic represention of Pac and ghosts, is very challenging and fun. You just have to learn how to play the video portions, there are a lot of techniques. It will never leave my collection.

Granny on the other hand has a very boring pinball portion and video game. The cab is really nice looking and play field art is fun but the game is not at all. I got to play it at PAGG this year and really wanted to like it but it is terrible.

Have no idea about Caveman.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 199.95
$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baby-pac-granny-or-caveman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.