9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Pin-it
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BabyLeland05.jpg
    BabyLeland04.jpg
    BabyLeland02.jpg
    BabyLeland01.jpg
    BabyLeland03.jpg
    BabyLeland.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

My early collecting days included picking up pre-flipper games from the 1930's. (I collected what I could find!) I recently ran across my old photo album of games (with real printed photographs - this was before digital cameras and the WWW), and have finally scanned them. I'll share a few of the pre-flipper examples that I had.

This one is called 'Baby Leland' and dates to 1933. Interestingly, it was sold by Chicago Coin, but made by Stoner (Stoner apparently had the castings).

I was fortunate to have corresponded with the late Dick Bueschel regarding this game, and always enjoyed the info he shared. (RIP, Dick.) If you like the early pinball games, I highly recommend Dick's books.

I bought this game at an art auction that was held in a shopping mall. About the strangest auction I've ever been too. Yes, inside a shopping mall. It was an art gallery sort of place, and the auction was for paintings and sculpture and such. And they had this one little old pinball game for some reason (and it was listed in the ad - in a newspaper!). I think I got it for $139. I later traded it for my first Gottlieb Atlantis.

BabyLeland.jpgBabyLeland.jpg
    BabyLeland01.jpgBabyLeland01.jpg
    BabyLeland02.jpgBabyLeland02.jpg
    BabyLeland03.jpgBabyLeland03.jpg
    BabyLeland04.jpgBabyLeland04.jpg
    BabyLeland05.jpgBabyLeland05.jpg

#2 9 years ago

What a cool game. How does the ball get into the lower horseshoe?

--Luke

#3 9 years ago
    Quoted from HighNoon:

What a cool game. How does the ball get into the lower horseshoe?
    --Luke

It's probably not so evident from the pictures, but basically the ball does two loop-the-loops; it comes around the top arch and runs into the top horseshoe, loops there and out and then is sent into the bottom horseshoe, loops there and is sent out and is then sent into the top of the lower playfield area.

#4 9 years ago

That would be fun to watch. The 2 loops and the 3rd upper loop over. Hopefully this will not be in the next Stern pin.

#5 9 years ago

I disagree - something of the like would be neat in a modern pin. A modern horse racing theme would be cool with this kind of callback. Cost would be too much with those steel cast moldings!

Yet another gorgeous game, Dirt!

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from bingopodcast:

I disagree - something of the like would be neat in a modern pin. A modern horse racing theme would be cool with this kind of callback. Cost would be too much with those steel cast moldings!
    Yet another gorgeous game, Dirt!

Quoted from Darcy:

Hopefully this will not be in the next Stern pin.

Sorry. Sarcasm does not translate well in print.

#7 9 years ago

Funny, its kinda like a laptop version of the larger,take it with you as it small enough to carry.

The walnut playfield is the cream of the crop...
    Nice example of a bygone era,thanks for sharing DirtFlipper.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baby-leland and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.