• Latest reply 10 years ago by o-din
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th-3.jpeg
#1 10 years ago

Which are your favorite B titles and why ? Just curious since these opinions vary so much for so many different reasons.

#2 10 years ago

Black Knight
Black Knight 2000
BSD
Breakshot
Big Hurt

Would you like the C titles now?

th-3.jpegth-3.jpeg
#3 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Black Knight
Black Knight 2000
BSD
Breakshot
Big Hurt

th-3.jpeg 0

I think the OP was looking for EM B titles, not SS

#5 10 years ago

Buccaneer. It's a good looking game. I don't like to play it though. The spinner blocks off the whole field.

Bow and Arrow. Nothing too special about it but it's just fun. Collecting bonus during play is always cool.

It's not a B-title but I sure do like Pro Football. It gets panned but I thought it was fun to play.

The line from A to B is hard to define with SS games. Seems impossible to differentiate EMs that way.

#6 10 years ago

Is Night Rider considered a "B" title? what criteria are you using for what is in the "A" group?

#7 10 years ago

Em guys don't really do the A & B thing. I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to make a list of some "A"s. Everything after gets really subjective. Clay does grade some Gottlieb woodrails which I find to be very helpful as it's not always easy to get an opportunity to play them before buying.
http://www.pinrepair.com/gtb/

#8 10 years ago

Doctor Who and BSD are both classic early 90's B titles. Doctor Who has the funnest multi ball (with the clearest objectives you can have) in pinball and BSD is one of the fastest most brutal scoring games with great theme and gameplay. I love the shot layout on BSD.

RFM is still considered a B title and that is the most advanced game in pinball history (next to WOZ).

More modern B titles for me include FGY, which has my favorite toy in pinball history - Stewie's mini playfield.

#9 10 years ago

BSD seems to be the most prevalent one.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from ReallifePin:

Buccaneer. It's a good looking game. I don't like to play it though. The spinner blocks off the whole field.
Bow and Arrow. Nothing too special about it but it's just fun. Collecting bonus during play is always cool.
It's not a B-title but I sure do like Pro Football. It gets panned but I thought it was fun to play.

The line from A to B is hard to define with SS games. Seems impossible to differentiate EMs that way.

woot! another person who likes "pro football"! i thought i was the only one... mine gets played a LOT...

on topic... count me as one who is very happy that the "a/b/c title" foolishness hasn't spread to the em side of the world...

there are "more desirable" and "less desirable" machines, without a doubt... as well as a few that are very difficult to lay your hands on, and ones that you couldn't give away... but the need to "classify" them doesn't seem to exist, and for that i'm very glad...

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Doctor Who and BSD are both classic early 90's B titles. Doctor Who has the funnest multi ball (with the clearest objectives you can have) in pinball and BSD is one of the fastest most brutal scoring games with great theme and gameplay. I love the shot layout on BSD.
RFM is still considered a B title and that is the most advanced game in pinball history (next to WOZ).
More modern B titles for me include FGY, which has my favorite toy in pinball history - Stewie's mini playfield.

tiger... darnit you are a mod... pay attention to the subforum this was posted in...

although with the server upgrade, us em guys got no respect ("electro-mechanic"?)

#12 10 years ago

Oh come on Man! Bally pins are not that bad, B-titles really.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Oh come on Man! Bally pins are not that bad, B-titles really.

actually, for some people, only g-pins of the flavor w are the only ones that will do...

#14 10 years ago

I love early 80s Bally and Stern games that many would consider "B" (although I don't).

#15 10 years ago

For EM's? I don't even know what the "A" titles are.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Black Knight
Black Knight 2000
BSD
Breakshot
Big Hurt

th-3.jpeg 0

Barracora
Big Bang Bar
BatMan
Batman TDK
Bad Girls
... and so on, and so on ...

#17 10 years ago

Black Rose

#18 10 years ago

Bad Cats

#19 10 years ago

Fish Tales and RFM. Fish Tales is fast a hell and requires you to get into a rhythm to put up big scores. RFM has a bunch of humor that most pins now lack, and I like how you need to ace modes to earn the attack mars (plus, when you get to AM, how they integrate the secondary buttons into the gameplay is awesome).

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

woot! another person who likes "pro football"! i thought i was the only one... mine gets played a LOT...
on topic... count me as one who is very happy that the "a/b/c title" foolishness hasn't spread to the em side of the world...
there are "more desirable" and "less desirable" machines, without a doubt... as well as a few that are very difficult to lay your hands on, and ones that you couldn't give away... but the need to "classify" them doesn't seem to exist, and for that i'm very glad...

Don't forget the 2 player version, Gridiron, plays a little different but same playfield, an excellent game!!

Never thought of EM's in terms of a ABC grade, quite glad for that

#21 10 years ago

I really enjoy Mars Trek, King of Diamonds, Jumping Jack and Fireball. Also anything add a ball or with zipper flippers is always a plus for this era in my book.

#22 10 years ago

Jungle Lord - 1/3 the price of Black Knight, even more fun with "new tricks" software.
WOZ - No need for a flame war, it's a solid B, but you are compelled to play it anyway.
Disco Fever - No disco music is a huge plus - curved flippers adds to the challenge.
Dolly Parton - No joke that game is fun.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

Don't forget the 2 player version, Gridiron, plays a little different but same playfield, an excellent game!!

yea true. that's another game that gets lost in the shuffle a bit. and it really is more fun to compete...

both titles are definitely "take it or leave it" games though. as noted, i play mine a lot, but my bestie (as well as swmbo) rarely will play it. neither one of them care for the double flippers, or the ball launching from the trough. i think it's mostly because both of them tend to be "flip as soon as they see the ball is coming" type players. and with two flippers on each side, it "visually reinforces" that type of play. which is exactly the opposite of how you "should" play this particular game, the real key to playing it is learning NOT to flip at every opportunity...

it is fun to watch them flail at it though... it's a "instant tilt" if swmbo loses the ball "in between" the flippers...

#24 10 years ago

Why is everyone naming SS machines?

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

#26 10 years ago

I guess Baseball by Gottlieb 1070 would be a perfect B title as great to play but lousy artwork.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Barracora
Big Bang Bar
BatMan
Batman TDK
Bad Girls
... and so on, and so on ...

No Batman Forever?

I like that one.

Personally, I can't wait until we do the best "J" titles out there. I'm voting for Johnny Mnemonic and Judge Dredd.

#28 10 years ago

I guess if it is your favorite B title, that would make it an A title, right?

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

No Batman Forever?

That's part of " and so on"

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Ok then, I'll name Fast Draw.

#31 10 years ago

Bon Voyage
Buckaroo
Big Chief
Big Daddy
Big Hit
Bank A Ball

#32 10 years ago

Bingo Bango

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Because very few people bother to read (listen) before they write (talk).

#34 10 years ago

You're killin' me Alex!

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Em guys don't really do the A & B thing. I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to make a list of some "A"s. Everything after gets really subjective. Clay does grade some Gottlieb woodrails which I find to be very helpful as it's not always easy to get an opportunity to play them before buying.
http://www.pinrepair.com/gtb/

Exactly. Even the most fun EMs are pretty cheap compared to modern pins (unless one has particular collector value). And the price differences aren't that great between the best EMs and average EMs.

That said, some of my favorite EMs (my "A list"?) include games like Mars Trek, Prospector (both Sonics), SuperFlite-StratoFlite, GTB Gold Strike/El Dorado/Target Alpha/etc. (common pf), Gulfstream, BLY Night Rider, Spirit of 76, Twin Win, any decent EM with spinners and/or drop targets! I tend to prefer early/mid-70s WMS games as they tend to be faster and peppier. Also not a huge fan of a few perennial favorites like Fireball and 4,000,000 BC. YMMV.

#36 10 years ago

It's pretty evident in this thread to see who gets the joke, and who doesn't.

Pete

#37 10 years ago

Blackout
Black Flag
Black Gold
Black Belt
Black Pyramid
Black Rose
Black Water 100
BlackJack
Black Hole
Black Velvet

See, I even included some EM's (and a few that are both!).

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

It's pretty evident in this thread to see who gets the joke, and who doesn't.

Pete

......or who got it the first, second, third, fourth and fifth time it got trotted out and even found it mildly amusing the first time, but actually thought the OP was asking a serious question.

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from newmantjn:

but actually thought the OP was asking a serious question.

Yes, my apologies to the OP if he didn't get the answers he was looking for. This thread may have gone in a different direction if that picture of Archie had ended up in my prior post on a different thread as I intended. But the new pinside software is directing images that way. But it looked like it fit, so I left it. If you look though, there are plenty of great games listed by everyone.

#40 10 years ago

Mr Bill ^^

#41 10 years ago

The OP has posted this in the wrong Sub-forum. The profile he has only has 1991 to now as a pinball checked off. The Want Ad he has posted is for a Gottlieb Buck Rogers.

EM pins are usually not ranked as A or B. EM pins can only be rated by the person looking and playing them.
Statements like, great player, great art, good play, good art, average play, poor play. These are thrown around a lot.

It has to be Friday soon as o-din has changed his avatar.

#42 10 years ago

You read me like a book. Oh nooooooooo............

#43 10 years ago

For EMs, I'd go with Grand Prix, Card Whiz, and Sea Ray.

#44 10 years ago

EMs get no respect. Trigger-happy SS thread crashers!

I have a GTB Baseball wedgehead. Couldn't care if it's A,B or D, it's fun and brutally difficult.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You read me like a book. Oh nooooooooo............

Schultz.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

yea true. that's another game that gets lost in the shuffle a bit. and it really is more fun to compete...
both titles are definitely "take it or leave it" games though. as noted, i play mine a lot, but my bestie (as well as swmbo) rarely will play it. neither one of them care for the double flippers, or the ball launching from the trough. i think it's mostly because both of them tend to be "flip as soon as they see the ball is coming" type players. and with two flippers on each side, it "visually reinforces" that type of play. which is exactly the opposite of how you "should" play this particular game, the real key to playing it is learning NOT to flip at every opportunity...
it is fun to watch them flail at it though... it's a "instant tilt" if swmbo loses the ball "in between" the flippers...

Well, thanks guys. Now I'm going to put up a Wanted ad for Gridiron and Pro Football

3 weeks later
#47 10 years ago

1971 Bally Mariner / Sea Ray
1974 Gtb Sky Jump

These two titles come to mind.

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

1974 Gtb Sky Jump

I guess there's a "b" in Gottlieb.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 39.99
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1,059.00
3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shawnee, KS
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 20.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 45.00
Flipper Parts
Tom's Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/b-titles and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.