I just picked up an Aztec. Flipper coil was bad, and I replaced. All was well, except the middle rollover button didn't kick off a chime.
Cleaned ball sworls out of the playfield and waxed it with some paste wax to restore the shine, and then after about 3 more games, some weirdness started.
When I started a game, the score reel reset wouldn't stop spinning. I turned the game off and back on and that stopped. Then, I fired up another game, and found that the following:
1) chimes intermittent
2) 1000 point score reels for all players will not advance, except for +1 at the end of a ball, even if the bonus is much higher
3) The game will grind like it is counting bonus, but it is not reflected in the score reels. All I get no matter what is +1000
4) The 1000 numbers are centered at the beginning of the ball, but when they are supposed to advance, they just move slightly off towards the next number, but it is slight
5) the spinner works when lit for 100, but when lit for 1000, nothing is registered and no chimes sound
6) when there should be scoring but the reels aren't moving, there is a faint hum
I checked the playfield. I know that paste wax can sometimes jam the switches, especially the rollovers, but it does not appear to be the case. I used paste wax since I had to use a magic eraser to get out the ground-in ball sworls, and it was the best to restore the shine.
Since it's happening for all players, I assume it's something wrong with the relays in the cabinet, but I'm new to EMs, and even Clay's excellent guides aren't helping me. I'm sure it's something small. Any ideas would be most appreciated!