View topic image gallery

4 Change contact sw. sch..JPG
3 C Re. sch..JPG
2 # match s.u..JPG
1 Change re..JPG
BlueChipRestoSept14 062-401.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Howdy,

I just purchased our first pin for our game room. The Aztec is in great shape, too. My question for you knowledgable posters is about the lack of spin on the spinner of the Aztec. I think I am really smacking the ball up to it, and the ball goes all the way up and around to the top...but the spinner only spins 5 or 6 times....

Any thoughts on why? Lack of power on my hit? Old parts?

Thanks for your responses. Much appreciated.

#2 9 years ago

Unless something is bent i recommend superlube.
http://www.super-lube.com/super-lube-multipurpose-aerosol-ezp-68.html

Put a rag under it when spraying. Light touch on the button too.

#3 9 years ago

Agree with Pin-it, something binding!!

#4 9 years ago

Cool. I will stop by Ace an pick up a can. I want mine to spin like that dude on the PAPA video....lol.

Thank you for your help.

#5 9 years ago

Go under the playfield and carefully inspected the spinner switch.With the playfield cropped up with the metal rod locked in place you will now be able to can take your finger and manually spin the spinner watching carefully to see if the switch is too close,twisted or bent out of shape,etc...

These switches can be tricky to set up especially after someone else might have tried to tweak it. I just set up two spinners on my Williams Blue Chip and spent some serious time dialing them into perfection.I was lucky though because the Blue Chip has two spinners which gave me a reference point since one of my spinners was working very good, but not perfect.

Take some pictures of your spinner switch under the playfield and post of possible....maybe we can see something not right and explain to you how to correct it.Make sure you use a bright light and magnifier too if it might be helpful for you.

BlueChipRestoSept14 062-401.jpgBlueChipRestoSept14 062-401.jpg

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from pipewrench:

Cool. I will stop by Ace an pick up a can. I want mine to spin like that dude on the PAPA video....lol.
Thank you for your help.

DON'T SPRAY DIRECTLY ON SPINNER!
It takes just a VERY small amount. Put a bit on the tip of a toothpick & ever so gently apply a SMALL amount to any pivot points. Less is more.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

It takes just a VERY small amount. Put a bit on the tip of a toothpick & ever so gently apply a SMALL amount to any pivot points. Less is more.

I totally agree with this. I put just a little on a Q-Tip and then just work it around a bit on both sides of the spinner. Just did this tonight, in fact. You'll be surprised at how responsive the spinner can get. The spinner in my Williams Space Odyssey goes and goes if you hit it solid.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Quoted from SilverBallKid:

I totally agree with this. I put just a little on a Q-Tip and then just work it around a bit on both sides of the spinner. Just did this tonight, in fact. You'll be surprised at how responsive the spinner can get. The spinner in my Williams Space Odyssey goes and goes if you hit it solid.

Yes ↑↑↑absolutely don`t fire hose the assembly, just a drop or two on the linkage using something to apply the lube unless you can spray with a light touch,i can apply it very well by setting a rag at the linkage and prevent any extra flow from going awry.

They also manufacture a precision oiler too you can get at home depot or a good hardware store . http://www.homedepot.com/p/Super-Lube-7ml-Precision-Oiler-Oil-with-Syncolon-PTFE-Lubricant-Per-Each-51010/202932717

1 week later
#9 9 years ago

So, after 1.5 weeks of play, the spinner seems to be doing its thing. I guess it was just a lack of use? I didn't put any Super Lube on it...it just seemed to improve it's spin the more we played the game.

I do, however, have another question for you. The top two pop bumper do not light up at all. Scoring is always 100..never 1000. I have opened the playfield up and used a business card to clean between the solenoid and the other relay below both bumpers. No change. I did change the bulbs first, of course. Any thoughts on why it a) isn't lighting up and b) not changing the scoring to 1,000?

Admitedly, I am a noob in the world of pins so please pardon if these are easily remedied issues. I appreciate any/all help from you folks. Thank you.

#10 9 years ago

Look for a 1,000 point relay under the pf or on the mb. It should energize to make things score 1,000 instead of 100. Maybe a dirty contact on it. Without schematic, it's a guess, but worth a look.

#11 9 years ago

Looks like the Number match S.u. which is triggered by a 10 point relay contact then engages a match unit alternating switch which energizes the change relay coil moving the make and break switches, 2 sets of m&b contacts positions gives 100 and the other position gives 1000[one m&b[d]contacts is for center jet bumper the other m&b[e]contacts is for left & right jet bumpers] while the other m&b[f] contact switch within that change re. controls the lite . Start inspection with the 10 point relay contact ,then see the match unit alternating switch, then the change relay contacts[ F-E-&D],check all of them as you go along,clean/gap any as needed.

1 Change re..JPG1 Change re..JPG

Change re.↑

2 # match s.u..JPG2 # match s.u..JPG

Match s.u.↑

3 C Re. sch..JPG3 C Re. sch..JPG

C re.↑

4 Change contact sw. sch..JPG4 Change contact sw. sch..JPG

Change contacts↑

#12 9 years ago

Thanks for the tips. I will investigate. (It's almost a new language talking about EM machines...)

#13 9 years ago

I am still trying to understand the schematic I got with the machine...getting somewhat frustrated at my lack of electrical wiring knowledge. Is the 10 pt relay the same as the 10 cent relay? I don't even understand what 10 cents is for. LOL. Lots to learn here.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from pipewrench:

Is the 10 pt relay the same as the 10 cent relay?

No.

Hopefully you have the Owners Manual as well seeing it explains the Relays and Steppers in Detail along with Gameplay and other important information. If you do not own one, copy and print this one for free:

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=aztec&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#119

Ken

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Ashburn, VA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aztec-spinner-not-so-spinny and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.