9 (resized).JPG
1-8 (resized).JPG
0 (resized).JPG
az3 (resized).PNG
az2 (resized).PNG
az1 (resized).PNG
A_MB_SW (resized).jpg
Latchwcolors (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pin-Pilot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 3 years ago

Just found this thread. I have an Aztec. Maybe I can help you out.

I have included a picture here. I am going to start very basic just to cover the obvious. If you can take a picture of your 100's reel and post it here that may help tremendously.

Unless you have a specific reason to suspect someone has tampered with the wiring I would rule that out at this point. These EM machines have hundreds of switches and they all must work together to operate properly.

With the fact the reel is "bouncing all over the place" during reset makes me think you may have a broken/weak spring.

1. Check that the reel does not move freely by hand. It should lock on a number and not be able to move freely. (if one of the levers is not latching properly the number reel will move to some extent)
2. Check the springs and that they are there and attached. the Green spring (I colored it green for identification) is the one I am mostly concerned about.
3. The Blue spring pulls the solenoid plunger back into the home position (out of the coil).
4. if the red latch is not latching on the reel you will get the symptoms you are describing.

Hope this helps.

And a picture paints a thousand words. include one if you can
Latchwcolors (resized).jpgLatchwcolors (resized).jpg

#18 3 years ago

Lots of good info here. Hopefully should be able to clear up your issues.

Is the game new to you? Did these problems just start happening?

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from EMNewbie:

3) During game play, the 100's wheel will increment randomly through numbers, similar to the reset, when a 1000 point target is hit rapidly. For example, if the spinner is lit for 1000 points, a good rip will result in both the 100's and 1000's wheel moving. Oddly, if the 100's digit is zero, it will not increment - similar to the reset process when it hits zero the odd behavior stops.
3a) When looking in the backbox during a spinner rip, I can see the 1000's scoring relay going, and occasionally can see a spark in the switches of the 100's wheel.

This issue is a bit more involved. This may have to do with switch alignment as mentioned. The 1000's point and 100's point relays are wired to common Make-or-Break (M/B) switches. One M/B switch is on the "A Relay" that is pulsed by the spinner. The other M/B switches (2 of them) are pulsed by the Center, Right and Left Jet Bumpers. If these switch blades are not properly aligned then you could get both 1000's and 100's reel to pulse at the same time.

Since you referred to the spinner causing the problem that is the M/B switch I am going to focus on. See picture below. Make sure your switches look like the area I have highlighted.

If both leaf switch contacts are touching that is your problem If the switch looks normal, like the example below, we need to do some more investigation.
A_MB_SW (resized).jpgA_MB_SW (resized).jpg

#22 3 years ago

Possible issues is the mechanism is gummed up. The springs appear to be good.

If you move the plastic arm on the top of your first picture does it move freely?

Check the switch positions against your other 100's score reel mechanisms for players 2-4.

There are 3 different switch configurations, 0, 1-8, & 9 position.

Position 0 (or Zero Switch) - opens all circuits and prevents the coil from actuating via the score motor and No. 1 reset relay

Position 1-8 - 2 switches are closed and 1 is open

Position 9 - All switches are closed

Here are pics of correct positions.

This is the "0" position
0 (resized).JPG0 (resized).JPG

This is the "1-8" Position
1-8 (resized).JPG1-8 (resized).JPG

This is the "9" position
9 (resized).JPG9 (resized).JPG

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from EMNewbie:

>Are the screws that hold them tight? Yes, the screws seem tight, couldn't turn them a bit
>Is the game new to you? Did these problems just start happening? Yes it is new to me. If I can believe what I am told, this issue was not known before. Maybe it was there, maybe it happened during transport?
>And a picture paints a thousand words. include one if you can - Attached
This morning I tested the screws to see that they were tight. I also gave the switches a thorough cleaning with flexstone to be sure. I made an adjustment to the EOS switch to make sure it was closed at rest more securely. I didn't have a lot more time (burgers later today) but I wanted to take a couple pics as requested (and for reference).
After doing this, the issues during game play seemed to disappear. (In fairness, I thought that a few days ago too but they came back) Maybe the EOS switch was a difference maker? However, the reset issue is still happening, at times it spins wildly until it finally holds.
I will try "swapping the score reel with one of the others" next, and I'm sorry to ask a dumb question but how much of the score reel should I move? Does this involve soldering/desoldering?
Thank you again for all your help, I really appreciate it.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Moving the plastic score reel itself is a little involved. It is a little tricky taking it off without having to remove several parts. Remove the C-clip then the plastic arms need to be moved out of the way and the reel slid off the post.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from Geofflove:

I was suggesting moving the whole score unit, not just the plastic reel itself. In other words desolder the unit and another the same, swap them and resolder. See if the prob moves with the unit. You do need to make sure that the switches are all the same on the ones you swap though or you will get yourself in a mess. And depending on which one it is you may not have an identical swap possible.

That is quite a bit of work. Making sure the wires are marked and re-soldered good. Not easy soldering in place. If you could do it on a bench that would be better. You could end up with a bigger mess on your hands. I would not suggest that route. Visually looking at the parts will tell a lot.

Some basic mechanical checks can be performed and eliminate a lot of teardown and time.

1 week later
#27 3 years ago

Any Luck on your Aztec issues?

I have been cleaning up my Aztec Score Reels. Lots of cleaning and parts tumbling.

Here is my current situation.
IMG_1111 (resized).JPGIMG_1111 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Saint Petersburg, FL
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pin-Pilot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aztec-scoring-reel-problem?tu=Pin-Pilot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.