1-8 (resized).JPG
0 (resized).JPG
az3 (resized).PNG
az2 (resized).PNG
az1 (resized).PNG
A_MB_SW (resized).jpg
Latchwcolors (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

I have a Williams Aztec that I am trying to fix up to playable condition, and was hoping for some ideas on how to fix a problem with Player 1 scoring. Specifically:

1) When resetting the game, the 100's wheel spins around through numbers seemingly at random each pulse of the reset. It might start at 1, next pulse be at 6, next at 3, etc. However, it will eventually reach zero and when it does, the reset process stops as you would expect.

2) During game play, the 100's wheel will occasionally (e.g. not consistently) increment by more than 1 digit... hitting a 100 target may result in 200 or 300 points.

3) During game play, the 100's wheel will increment randomly through numbers, similar to the reset, when a 1000 point target is hit rapidly. For example, if the spinner is lit for 1000 points, a good rip will result in both the 100's and 1000's wheel moving. Oddly, if the 100's digit is zero, it will not increment - similar to the reset process when it hits zero the odd behavior stops.

3a) When looking in the backbox during a spinner rip, I can see the 1000's scoring relay going, and occasionally can see a spark in the switches of the 100's wheel.

I am new at this and stumped. Any idea why this might happen? Thanks in advance.

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from EMNewbie:

fix a problem with Player 1 scoring.

It seems that one or more of the switches on the reel need adjustment. Read more here: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#reels

#3 3 years ago

Does the reel operate correctly if you press the solenoid with your fingers? Ie does to easily increment one step for each push? I’m wondering if the mech is jammed or spring weak/broken allowing it to jump several steps for each trigger of the coil?

#4 3 years ago

Yes, everything seems to work ok manually.

I am starting to get worried that wires might be connecting things that shouldn't. I could live with the weird reset behavior, but there should be no reason the 1,000s wheel should cause the 100's wheel to spin, for example, at least that I can think of. I have no idea how to troubleshoot that, however.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from EMNewbie:

I have no idea how to troubleshoot that, however.

Did you look at the link I posted? It's likely that a sw. on the 100s reel is gapped to close and the vibration from the 1000s is getting it going. Other misgapped sw. will cause the problems you're having.

#6 3 years ago

Does the scoring issue happen with all four players or only 1 player in particular?

#7 3 years ago

It is with player 1 only.

Currieddog - I have read it a few times, I keep understanding it a little more each time as I am new to this. I tried a few tweaks tonight and it did seem like the gameplay problems (2 & 3) went away which was really encouraging. I'll retest and fiddle some more this weekend. Thank you for your help.

#8 3 years ago

@emnewbie, you can look at the same reel on player 2-4 and compare to player 1 to see if any of the gaps are incorrect.

Work the player 2 100's reel by hand noting the position of the switches as you go through the numbers and then see if player 1 behaves the same.

Also, just because a switch looks open (or closed) don't trust your eyes, use a multimeter to ohm it out.

#9 3 years ago

I have the same machine, it was rebuilt by ChipScott (pinside member) he may can help.

#10 3 years ago

Assuming the score reelS are the same you try swapping player 1 reel with another to see if the fault moves with it. You’ll then know if it’s in the score reel or elsewhere.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from EMNewbie:

1) When resetting the game, the 100's wheel spins around through numbers seemingly at random each pulse of the reset. It might start at 1, next pulse be at 6, next at 3, etc.

Probably a mechanical problem with Player 1 100 Point Drum (score) unit. The way the drum units work is:

1. Electricity pulls the solenoid plunger in
  2. When the electric pulse turns off, the solenoid plunger moves out of the coil
  3. This solenoid plunger release rotates the score drum
  4. There's a stop attached to the solenoid plunger whose job it is to make sure the score drum only turns a single position

If you're having trouble seeing this action, take a slow motion video of a good and the bad unit in action with your cell phone

#12 3 years ago

Check the make/break switch on the A relay. It controls the spinner scoring. When it pulls in the blade that breaks circuit might not be opening properly.

#13 3 years ago

Still struggling with this issue and issue #2 and #3 is back today. HowardR - I tried to take a really careful look while resetting... I'm sure there are better ways to do it than what I did, but at least I got my exercise in running back and forth... and it does seem like maybe it is mechanical after all? I observed that when resetting, the mech is spinning and it looks like it's pulsing ok, but not connecting with that stop very well (there is in fact a little bit of a horizontal wear mark on it from sliding off?).

It looks like it's trying to catch but it is just failing and numbers spin far too freely until, every once in a while, the catch holds up a little stronger and if that happens to be at zero, the game starts.

Any thoughts on next steps? I really appreciate any help - very new at this and I'm learning a ton.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from EMNewbie:

Any thoughts on next steps?

You could swap the big round score reel with a working one

#15 3 years ago

As suggested earlier, try swapping the score reel with one of the others (check it’s the same configuration). This will prove the problem if the fault moves with the reel. If so you either need a new score reel of some overhaul work.

#16 3 years ago

I still think it's the switches on the reel. Are the screws that hold them tight?

#17 3 years ago

Just found this thread. I have an Aztec. Maybe I can help you out.

I have included a picture here. I am going to start very basic just to cover the obvious. If you can take a picture of your 100's reel and post it here that may help tremendously.

Unless you have a specific reason to suspect someone has tampered with the wiring I would rule that out at this point. These EM machines have hundreds of switches and they all must work together to operate properly.

With the fact the reel is "bouncing all over the place" during reset makes me think you may have a broken/weak spring.

1. Check that the reel does not move freely by hand. It should lock on a number and not be able to move freely. (if one of the levers is not latching properly the number reel will move to some extent)
2. Check the springs and that they are there and attached. the Green spring (I colored it green for identification) is the one I am mostly concerned about.
3. The Blue spring pulls the solenoid plunger back into the home position (out of the coil).
4. if the red latch is not latching on the reel you will get the symptoms you are describing.

Hope this helps.

And a picture paints a thousand words. include one if you can
Latchwcolors (resized).jpgLatchwcolors (resized).jpg

#18 3 years ago

Lots of good info here. Hopefully should be able to clear up your issues.

Is the game new to you? Did these problems just start happening?

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from EMNewbie:

3) During game play, the 100's wheel will increment randomly through numbers, similar to the reset, when a 1000 point target is hit rapidly. For example, if the spinner is lit for 1000 points, a good rip will result in both the 100's and 1000's wheel moving. Oddly, if the 100's digit is zero, it will not increment - similar to the reset process when it hits zero the odd behavior stops.
3a) When looking in the backbox during a spinner rip, I can see the 1000's scoring relay going, and occasionally can see a spark in the switches of the 100's wheel.

This issue is a bit more involved. This may have to do with switch alignment as mentioned. The 1000's point and 100's point relays are wired to common Make-or-Break (M/B) switches. One M/B switch is on the "A Relay" that is pulsed by the spinner. The other M/B switches (2 of them) are pulsed by the Center, Right and Left Jet Bumpers. If these switch blades are not properly aligned then you could get both 1000's and 100's reel to pulse at the same time.

Since you referred to the spinner causing the problem that is the M/B switch I am going to focus on. See picture below. Make sure your switches look like the area I have highlighted.

If both leaf switch contacts are touching that is your problem If the switch looks normal, like the example below, we need to do some more investigation.
A_MB_SW (resized).jpgA_MB_SW (resized).jpg

#20 3 years ago

>Are the screws that hold them tight? Yes, the screws seem tight, couldn't turn them a bit

>Is the game new to you? Did these problems just start happening? Yes it is new to me. If I can believe what I am told, this issue was not known before. Maybe it was there, maybe it happened during transport?

>And a picture paints a thousand words. include one if you can - Attached

This morning I tested the screws to see that they were tight. I also gave the switches a thorough cleaning with flexstone to be sure. I made an adjustment to the EOS switch to make sure it was closed at rest more securely. I didn't have a lot more time (burgers later today) but I wanted to take a couple pics as requested (and for reference).

After doing this, the issues during game play seemed to disappear. (In fairness, I thought that a few days ago too but they came back) Maybe the EOS switch was a difference maker? However, the reset issue is still happening, at times it spins wildly until it finally holds.

I will try "swapping the score reel with one of the others" next, and I'm sorry to ask a dumb question but how much of the score reel should I move? Does this involve soldering/desoldering?

Thank you again for all your help, I really appreciate it.

az1 (resized).PNGaz1 (resized).PNGaz2 (resized).PNGaz2 (resized).PNGaz3 (resized).PNGaz3 (resized).PNG
#21 3 years ago

I will also check out the A relay too, thank you for the idea.

#22 3 years ago

Possible issues is the mechanism is gummed up. The springs appear to be good.

If you move the plastic arm on the top of your first picture does it move freely?

Check the switch positions against your other 100's score reel mechanisms for players 2-4.

There are 3 different switch configurations, 0, 1-8, & 9 position.

Position 0 (or Zero Switch) - opens all circuits and prevents the coil from actuating via the score motor and No. 1 reset relay

Position 1-8 - 2 switches are closed and 1 is open

Position 9 - All switches are closed

Here are pics of correct positions.

This is the "0" position
0 (resized).JPG0 (resized).JPG

This is the "1-8" Position
1-8 (resized).JPG1-8 (resized).JPG

This is the "9" position
9 (resized).JPG9 (resized).JPG

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from EMNewbie:

>Are the screws that hold them tight? Yes, the screws seem tight, couldn't turn them a bit
>Is the game new to you? Did these problems just start happening? Yes it is new to me. If I can believe what I am told, this issue was not known before. Maybe it was there, maybe it happened during transport?
>And a picture paints a thousand words. include one if you can - Attached
This morning I tested the screws to see that they were tight. I also gave the switches a thorough cleaning with flexstone to be sure. I made an adjustment to the EOS switch to make sure it was closed at rest more securely. I didn't have a lot more time (burgers later today) but I wanted to take a couple pics as requested (and for reference).
After doing this, the issues during game play seemed to disappear. (In fairness, I thought that a few days ago too but they came back) Maybe the EOS switch was a difference maker? However, the reset issue is still happening, at times it spins wildly until it finally holds.
I will try "swapping the score reel with one of the others" next, and I'm sorry to ask a dumb question but how much of the score reel should I move? Does this involve soldering/desoldering?
Thank you again for all your help, I really appreciate it.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Moving the plastic score reel itself is a little involved. It is a little tricky taking it off without having to remove several parts. Remove the C-clip then the plastic arms need to be moved out of the way and the reel slid off the post.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin-Pilot:

Moving the plastic score reel itself is a little involved. It is a little tricky taking it off without having to remove several parts. Remove the C-clip then the plastic arms need to be moved out of the way and the reel slid off the post.

I was suggesting moving the whole score unit, not just the plastic reel itself. In other words desolder the unit and another the same, swap them and resolder. See if the prob moves with the unit. You do need to make sure that the switches are all the same on the ones you swap though or you will get yourself in a mess. And depending on which one it is you may not have an identical swap possible.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from Geofflove:

I was suggesting moving the whole score unit, not just the plastic reel itself. In other words desolder the unit and another the same, swap them and resolder. See if the prob moves with the unit. You do need to make sure that the switches are all the same on the ones you swap though or you will get yourself in a mess. And depending on which one it is you may not have an identical swap possible.

That is quite a bit of work. Making sure the wires are marked and re-soldered good. Not easy soldering in place. If you could do it on a bench that would be better. You could end up with a bigger mess on your hands. I would not suggest that route. Visually looking at the parts will tell a lot.

Some basic mechanical checks can be performed and eliminate a lot of teardown and time.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from EMNewbie:

I will try "swapping the score reel with one of the others" next, and I'm sorry to ask a dumb question but how much of the score reel should I move?

Start by swapping parts that are easy. Take lots of pictures and make drawings so you can put things back together EXACTLY the way they came apart.

1 week later
#27 3 years ago

Any Luck on your Aztec issues?

I have been cleaning up my Aztec Score Reels. Lots of cleaning and parts tumbling.

Here is my current situation.
IMG_1111 (resized).JPGIMG_1111 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aztec-scoring-reel-problem?hl=peruman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.