• Latest reply 4 years ago by Ott
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Aztec 100 point relay (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

I have a Williams Aztec that when the 100 points roll over it locks up the 100 and 1,000 point relays score reel and chime. It does this on all 4 players and if you score 10 points everything unlocks.
* If ball drains while locked will not award bonus points.
*I have cleaned all the 100 and 1,000 point reel switches and relay and all seem to be operating correctly also see no wires touching.
*Cleaned the player stepper unit, match unit, rebuilt pop bumpers, new flippers, and cleaned all of player 1 score reels.
What am i missing?

#2 4 years ago

Check your EOS switches on the score reels.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Ott:

when the 100 points roll over it locks up the 100 and 1,000 point relays

Here's a wild theory and the schematic to explain it:
Aztec 100 point relay (resized).jpgAztec 100 point relay (resized).jpg
Any time the 100 point relay fires the lock in switch on the 100 point relay in the lower red box closes and keeps power applied to the 100 point relay until one of the four 100 point Score Reel EOS switches opens. That seems to work fine most of the time.

If the problem only happens when 900 points rolls over to the next 1000 points then the path through the Player Unit must be involved somehow. Usually there is no path between the yellow wire on the left side and the O-Blu-2 wire connected to the 100 point relay switch in the upper red box. However once the 100 point is about to rollover the yellow and orange-blue wires get connected together so the next time the 100 point relay fires the 1000 point relay fires too.

Notice that both switches in the red boxes are on the 100 point relay. When the 100 point relay fires both of those switches close. If the switches are damaged, or if their solder tabs or wires are shorted together you could get the relay to lock on as you describe. Since the yellow wire is connected to the O-Blu-2 wire that means that the yellow wire is effectively somewhere in the 100 point relay switch stack. If it touches some part of the lock in switch it could keep the 100 point relay stuck on even if one of the Score Reel EOS switches open.

Have a close look at all of the wires, solder tabs, spacers, contacts, etc. on the 100 point relay and see if anything might be touching something it shouldn't.

/Mark

#4 4 years ago

I have been through all the score reels EOS and other switches seem to be working properly and nothing touching (i did adjust couple switches but still locking up). I do see that when i manually operate the 10 point relay and it goes from 9 to 0 it operates the 100 and 1,000 point score at the same time but never locks up. It does this on each player during their play. Manually operating the 100 relay on the roll over locks up the 100 and 1,000 relay and score reels, when i then manually score 10 points they unlock.
Does that help anyone solve this problem. Seems to me the logic is somewhere in the 100 point relay and not a score reel since it does it on all players when their turn.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Ashburn, VA
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aztec-score-locks-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.