Aztec Owners Club (Not a Pyramid Scheme)

By wizard_mode

4 months ago

Stats

• 23 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 month ago by Gerry
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Aztec art 1.JPG
Aztec art 2.JPG
Aztec art 3.JPG
aztec_pinball_1.jpg
DSCF1989 (resized).JPG
playfield_repopulated_bottom (resized).jpg
DSCF1632 (resized).JPG
1486610346294-1170311456 (resized).jpg
1486610284699-1752332060 (resized).jpg

#1 4 months ago

I love my Aztec. It is my only EM and I seem to play it as much as whatever newer games are next to it in my lineup. Once I got the spinner spinning correctly, I just cannot get enough of that thing!
It seems like this machine is popular, so I figured I would start a group to discuss all things Aztec. If there is anyone else out there, let's discuss!

#2 4 months ago

It's a great game. I'm looking for a nice copy if anyone has a decent working game for sale

#3 4 months ago

I enjoy my Aztec. Also my only EM. My favorite is when the ball goes from the catapult to the pop bumper repeatedly. 12 cycles best to date. I need to get the parts and rebuild the flippers and coil sleeves for the rest of it.

#4 4 months ago
Quoted from bayoubilly70:

It's a great game. I'm looking for a nice copy if anyone has a decent working game for sale

Just sold mine Monday, guy is picking it up tomorrow.
I'm more of a Bally guy I think...... but wow, Aztec is one fast EM with the DC pop bumpers. I will miss it but had to clear up space for freshly restored projects.

#5 4 months ago

I love my Aztec
Best shot is a lot spinner
Bzzzzinggggg

#6 4 months ago

Only thing Aztec that I have is a set of schematics for the solid state version. Kinda cool but not really something I have a use for.
If anybody wants them I'd be interested in selling at $100 shipped.

-Hans

#7 4 months ago

Here is mine right now in mid-shop state. Anyone ever LED an Aztec? I figure the GI would be ok but how about the inserts? Also, what is up with the rubber rings under the bumper caps? They supposed to be there?

1486610284699-1752332060 (resized).jpg

1486610346294-1170311456 (resized).jpg

#8 4 months ago

I have both aztec the pinball, and aztec the ball bowler. love both of them.

#9 4 months ago

I should post something here since I can't imagine that anyone else has three, count 'em, three Aztecs.

I acquired Aztec 1 here in Tucson from an arcade vendor. Even though I got it for $50 less than offered, I still overpaid for it. The backbox was wobbly and I thought that it would come crashing down at any moment. The chimes clunked. The backglass had been badly retouched and still had large areas missing. The mechs were filthy. The playfield was the worst part. There was a large area missing, worn to the wood, between and just above the flippers. I spent more than two months fixing this one up. I just fixed one of the last problems, player 1 getting extra balls, just this week. The only problem left to fix is the match lights not working.

Retouching the artwork was quite a challenge. I'm not that artistic, so it took a lot of time and effort to get it right.

DSCF1632 (resized).JPG

DSCF1989 (resized).JPG

playfield_repopulated_bottom (resized).jpg

Aztec 2 came from Phoenix and was in much better shape. The playfield is nice but the backglass is missing large areas of artwork.

Aztec 3 also came from Phoenix and except for the backglass which is the best of the three still is bad enough to need a repro. It is the most complete EM with the nicest playfield I have purchased. It came complete with a backbox door, original Williams coin box with lid plus manual and schematics.

Why three Aztecs, you may ask. You may ask! This is the fastest EM I have played. I just laugh sometimes when the pinball goes screaming by on the 5+ coats of clear and past my flippers! The spinner is a rush to get when lit for 1000 points. I couldn't turn them down for the prices I paid and I know they will be great players again one day when I am done with them.

I wonder if BGresto gives discounts for three backglasses in one order?

Yep, Aztec is a fun game - overlooked and underrated by the uninformed. That's fine with me.

#10 4 months ago
Quoted from wizard_mode:

Anyone ever LED an Aztec?

I have done a complete led job on mine
I used retro's for the gi though
I have also done it in yellow rubber
It looks great to me

#11 4 months ago
Quoted from Stretch7:

I have done a complete led job on mine
I used retro's for the gi though
I have also done it in yellow rubber
It looks great to me

Thanks. Any issues with ghosting or flickering for the inserts?

#12 4 months ago
Quoted from Pecos:

I should post something here since I can't imagine that anyone else has three, count 'em, three Aztecs.
I acquired Aztec 1 here in Tucson from an arcade vendor. Even though I got it for $50 less than offered, I still overpaid for it. The backbox was wobbly and I thought that it would come crashing down at any moment. The chimes clunked. The backglass had been badly retouched and still had large areas missing. The mechs were filthy. The playfield was the worst part. There was a large area missing, worn to the wood, between and just above the flippers. I spent more than two months fixing this one up. I just fixed one of the last problems, player 1 getting extra balls, just this week. The only problem left to fix is the match lights not working.
Retouching the artwork was quite a challenge. I'm not that artistic, so it took a lot of time and effort to get it right.

Aztec 2 came from Phoenix and was in much better shape. The playfield is nice but the backglass is missing large areas of artwork.
Aztec 3 also came from Phoenix and except for the backglass which is the best of the three still is bad enough to need a repro. It is the most complete EM with the nicest playfield I have purchased. It came complete with a backbox door, original Williams coin box with lid plus manual and schematics.
Why three Aztecs, you may ask. You may ask! This is the fastest EM I have played. I just laugh sometimes when the pinball goes screaming by on the 5+ coats of clear and past my flippers! The spinner is a rush to get when lit for 1000 points. I couldn't turn them down for the prices I paid and I know they will be great players again one day when I am done with them.
I wonder if BGresto gives discounts for three backglasses in one order?
Yep, Aztec is a fun game - overlooked and underrated by the uninformed. That's fine with me.

Pecos nice job on that PF painting BTW! 3 Aztecs? SWEET!

#13 4 months ago

I mentioned this on another thread as well. While I am shopping my Aztec, I am repainting and decaling my spinning target. I printed a full sheet of decals as shown below. If anyone wants a set of decals, PM me your address and I will ship you some.

#14 4 months ago

I too love my Aztec. It was the first game I ever got (over 25 years ago), and I still have it and still love playing it.

Dropped some colored incandescents and some LEDs in the playfield to liven up a few of the milk-white inserts.

I found a 1950's National Geographic book on Native cultures in the Americas and found the art from the backglass was taken (copied exactly) from a couple of the book's illustrations.

Oh yes, that spinner shot. Damn it's fun and so, so fast.

Don C.

#15 4 months ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Only thing Aztec that I have is a set of schematics for the solid state version. Kinda cool but not really something I have a use for.
If anybody wants them I'd be interested in selling at $100 shipped.
-Hans

Here's the playfield to go with those schematics:

ebay.com link » Rare 1976 Williams Solid State Aztec Pinball Machine Playfield Fully Populated

Looks just like my Aztec playfields except for the connectors. Okay, the pop bumper caps are different too! $425 is a hefty price to pay for different connectors and white pop bumper caps!

#16 4 months ago

The art for Aztec BG was 'borrowed' from a book called "Indians of the Americas" published by National Geographic in 1955 (the book is one year older than me!). The artist is H. M. Herget, the style is classic mid fifties Natgeo. The people at Ad Posters and other graphics houses that the pinball industry used played fast and loose with copyrights back in the day. (Some European games rip off Frank Frazetta in the 80s) The main priest is flipped along the vertical, and some colors were changed. The two guards are flipped and placed behind the priest. In the background, the wall, boat and guy peeping over the platform are copied. The tied up lady was added for subtle but kinky sexiness! (She seems surprisingly relaxed...) Nothing like her in the book.

The book itself is a mishmash of stereotypes and cultural attitudes prevalent at the time; along the lines of "yes, we wiped out these great civilizations, but it's OK because later we built a clinic on a reservation and some Indians work building skyscrapers, so we are all good, right? Look at the colorfully dressed dancers entertaining the tourists!"

Don C.

aztec_pinball_1.jpg

Aztec art 3.JPG

Aztec art 2.JPG

Aztec art 1.JPG

2 months later
#17 52 days ago

Just got an Aztec over Easter weekend. I've never restored a pin before but can't wait to get this running!

#18 52 days ago

I have a story about Aztec, my friend squired one for free when he helped someone move. It was working for a while then had some issues probably from non usage. He asked me if I wanted it but I had no room. I tried to convince him to get it fixed but finally I asked if I could donate it to where I work at Little Flower a respite treatment center for children with disabilities. He agreed so I got help from work and delivered it. I had a local guy Mike repair it on the cheap and the kids and staff love it! They are now talking about getting more pins for the Rec room.

#19 52 days ago
Quoted from Red77:

Just got an Aztec over Easter weekend. I've never restored a pin before but can't wait to get this running!

Congrats on your acquisition. It's a fun one for sure! I made some waterslide decals of the spinner art. If you would like a set, just pm me your address and I will send it over.

#20 52 days ago
Quoted from wizard_mode:

Congrats on your acquisition. It's a fun one for sure! I made some waterslide decals of the spinner art. If you would like a set, just pm me your address and I will send it over.

Much appreciated! Mine are not in the best of shape. PM sent.

#21 51 days ago
Quoted from Pecos:

Here's the playfield to go with those schematics:
ebay.com link » Rare 1976 Williams Solid State Aztec Pinball Machine Playfield Fully Populated
Looks just like my Aztec playfields except for the connectors. Okay, the pop bumper caps are different too! $425 is a hefty price to pay for different connectors and white pop bumper caps!

That playfield is odd. It will not match the schematics that Hans (or I) have; that's for sure.

From the looks of the screw holes in the back of that eBay playfield, it MAY at one time have been in prototype of some sorts. But was then completely re-wired with System 3 harness pieces. (my guess)

The "real" Aztec (and at least one Argosy I know of) prototypes, had System 1 MPU's, with all sorts of fun little driver boards, and lamp & solenoid driver packages mounted to the playfield. Those boards & devices are what match the official Williams System 1 schematics.

Picture of the underside of mine: http://www.racepainter.com/temp/aztec/pages/IMG_1390.htm

(the various prototype boards do seem to line up with the empty holes in that eBay playfield... but are missing)

#22 51 days ago

I've had my Aztec for over 30 years... Great machine... I always thought the stock playfield lighting was a bit dark, so I added some of those fire LEDs to liven up the playfield.

https://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/fire.htm

I always wondered how many Aztecs they made with yellow bumper caps and red bumper caps. I've seen many Aztecs over the years with yellow, red and white flippers. Did Williams build them with all three flipper colors?

#23 51 days ago

mine has yellow on it, and the spare PF i have has red... go figure

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.95
$ 50.00
Lighting - Led
Rock Custom Pinball
€ 49.95
Playfield - Plastics
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 194.99
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys
$ 128.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 59.99
Hardware
Chroma Pinball
$ 38.00
Playfield - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 239.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Tim's Pinball Mods
$ 9.95
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods
$ 119.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 24.50
$ 140.00
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.