(Topic ID: 202680)

Ax Bx Relays for ball gate and kickback not staying open.

By fusion301

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by fusion301
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3983 (resized).JPG
0623fcd5524eee1a9839d520d5e3bdc895d7203f (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Hi everyone I picked up a 1974 2 player Gottlieb Out of Sight which uses the ax and bx relays not to reset the game but to hold open two different ball gates one for the kick back on the left outland and one for a ball return gate to the shooter lane on the right side outlane.

When the ball rolls over either of the switches for these relays the gate will open for a second and then close. I checked all the switch contacts, gaps etc. everything looks ok, any idea exactly how these relays hold the gates open until the other switch is activated to tell it to close?

The relay looks very similar to this image attached I will try and take photos of what I have shortly if that will help.

0623fcd5524eee1a9839d520d5e3bdc895d7203f (resized).jpg0623fcd5524eee1a9839d520d5e3bdc895d7203f (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

anyone, anyone

#3 6 years ago

Can you post the schematic portion at 3E ?

#4 6 years ago

here you go let me know if this helps

IMG_3983 (resized).JPGIMG_3983 (resized).JPG

#5 6 years ago

Well since neither gate is holding and both are misbehaving in the same manner, I'd suspect the common switch in their hold circuits - namely the NC switch on P at the right of the posted schematic pic. P is the add player unit relay and has 3 NO switches, 1 NC switch and 1 MB switch. The suspect NC switch has a GR+WH lug and a lug with whatever color that runs down the right-hand side of schematic from the NC P switch - RED+WH maybe? I'd inspect P's NC switch for proper closure and clean it too.

#6 6 years ago

Thanks so much Jeff, you nailed it was one of the switches needed cleaning in the add player unit. Not sure which because I cleaned them all but it solved the issue!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ax-bx-relays-for-ball-gate-and-kickback-not-staying-open and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.