Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by electricsquirrel
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

gtbaxrelay2 (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

I've got quite a few 70s Gottliebs, but a friend bought a non-working Target Alpha that I ended up working on.

I always pull the bottom relay board out and go through everything. Tighten switch stacks, clean and adjust contacts. After all that, I put it all back together and nothing changed. Then had to pull it out again and go over everything again. Still didn't see anything obvious.

Putting it in the cabinet and hooking it all up, it really came down to the AX, DX and their associated reset relays. Between not latching correctly or the switches not traveling enough, I must have spent 5 hours adjusting those relays. I always hate loosening the screws and sliding them around because that always seems to make it worse.

Well, it's finally working now, but what a PITA! I hate those relays! So who's with me?

gtbaxrelay2 (resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago

Yeah, they can be a bear, but it was a major cost cutting move by Gottlieb, eliminating a lot of extra hardware in their games.

#3 2 years ago

I just fixed a Solar City in which "someone" had "adjusted" the AX relay leaf blades and the switch blades on the start relay too. Those AX blades are tricky to adjust, what a pain.

#4 2 years ago

Right, those little short throw Gottlieb relays are a pain in the ass. Not to mention those damn decagon score reels.
Give me a Bally EM to work on any day.

#5 2 years ago

Add me to the list. The only mechs I dislike more are the smaller Chicago Coin score reels.

#6 2 years ago

YEP! Pain in the arse!

#7 2 years ago

I'll give you an "A-men", brother.

If I am forced to loosen those set screws and start sliding the 2 assemblies around, I can usually resign myself to a couple hours of frustration and lots of cursing.

In some of their manuals, Gottlieb would sometimes provide steps to adjust a mechanism. They could have used such with those evil beasts.

#8 2 years ago

Hey, those relays are just the extra touch of originality and quality Gottlieb was proud of.

#9 2 years ago

Hi schudel5 +
I fully agree - what a PITA - in rather nice words: I do NOT like them.
Here http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#axrelayvideo the video. At 1:34 to 1:42 "Clay (?)" shows a working such thing - then the adjusting is shown, starting at 2:47, from 4:12 he shows a RARE "adjusting the MOVED blade" - to have more tension.

I have Orbit and Far Out WITH Control-Bank --- I happen to have Surf Champ. "Lucky me" - the AX-Relay functions when mounted in its holding - secured with the "pin / splint / cotter ?" - it does NOT work when I take it out and lay it to the side. Greetings Rolf

#10 2 years ago

Pain in the arse vote for me. I had one that worked fine until I mounted it back into the relay holder with its cotter pin/clip.
The game wouldn't reset. The wires put just enough pressure on those switch blades when mounted in holder that it changed everything.

Lesson learned was standard rule of tightening switch stacks before adjusting switch stacks

#11 2 years ago

I feel your pain. I totally refurbished a Target Alpha that would work great for long periods of time, only to have these relays sporadically be the source of reset failure. Such a PITA!

#12 2 years ago

Yep they can be a real pain especially if a fat fingered po has messed them up trying to get a game to start!

#13 2 years ago

Those tiny make/break switches are generally the "go to" switches when you have a problem. PITA indeed! I find once you go through the relays completely and take your time they usually are set to go for quite a while, hopefully.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Yeah, they can be a bear, but it was a major cost cutting move by Gottlieb, eliminating a lot of extra hardware in their games.

That's all well and good but they were engineered horribly. Bally and Williams both have similar relays that have a much longer throw and are much easier to service.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That's all well and good but they were engineered horribly. Bally and Williams both have similar relays that have a much longer throw and are much easier to service.

You'll pay dearly for this heresy.

#16 2 years ago

My 1974 Top Card has the latch relay. Might be the first game to have it?? I like that you can adjust it and if the tips of the latches have any burrs on them, sand them smooth. But, if I don't play the game for a while I sometimes have to manually trip it to complete the reset sequence the first time I start it up. Otherwise, I think 70's single player Gottlieb wedge heads are the "easiest" games to repair...as long as they're not a hacked mess to begin with. Right now I'm finishing up my Bally Centaur with its unique trough design , overly complicated coin door and strange pop bumper assemblies. If I didn't love the game so much...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 8.40
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hamilton, MA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 8.00
Cabinet Parts
RPGCor
$ 6.00
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 10.00
$ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 799.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 2.50
Various Novelties
Pinball Wheezer
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 24.25
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple
€ 8.10
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
$ 30.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
€ 279.00
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D MODS
$ 495.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside