(Topic ID: 169917)

Awful first experience with PBR, any good alternatives?

By Otaku

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 237 posts
  • 117 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ag (resized).jpg
    kitnlogo (resized).jpg
    mob-enforcer (resized).jpg
    c64 (resized).PNG
    Capture (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    nosoup (resized).jpg
    Analogue_modem_-_acoustic_coupler (resized).jpg
    modem (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    Steve-Young (resized).jpg
    tumblr_msf8xv7npZ1sh0lomo1_500 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider metallik.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#60 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

If you have to send pictures, link to them, rather than attach them. Jimmy seems to be ok with that.
    I'm guessing downloading large attachments hold up the works.

Yep, oldschool internet does not like large pics

modem (resized).jpgmodem (resized).jpg

#63 7 years ago

Beat ya to it Vid but snarky minds think alike LOL

#112 7 years ago
    Quoted from Richthofen:

Look, I can call out my friends, who I have known for half my life or more, like that. We've earned that trust through mutual shared experiences. But I don't know Steve from Adam. If someone passing me on the sidewalk in my neighborhood who I didn't know talked to me like that, I'd tell them to go fuck off, at the very least. There's nothing he communicated to me that he couldn't have communicated to me using a decent amount of politeness. Which is how you are supposed to interact with people you don't know.

He's from NY, you're from Boston. I can understand the friction... you need a thicker skin, you're too delicate for the way they do business over there

#126 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I will say the only thing about Steve that rubs me the wrong way...when I ask for a part and he barks out "No Longer Available," I always swear I feel a hint of sadistic joy in his voice.
    But, he also then works with me to find a solution, and we usually come up with something.

"NLA" is right there with "DQ" as one of the most hated acronyms in pinball...

#149 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

I understand he has a monopoly on the Gottlieb parts but I don't understand the whole "Ohhhhh, that's just a Steve thing! Respect him! You should be thankful when he yells at you!" after he tells you off. I hate that, so much, when anybody gets that 'right'. Usually you hear about it with snobby old celebrities... but they're legends... so it's okay and it's your fault! (Not really, and not really)

Except this was your fault. Don't waste his time and you won't get yelled at.

Quoted from Otaku:

The reason he does this is because he has no reason to stop:
    A) Because he knows he's the only one who can legally reproduce all of these parts, again, monopoly
    B) Because apparently he has such a solid following as seen here, where somehow even being an asshole gains him more respect in some initiation (see video above, LOL) stockholm syndrome sort of way

Considering the HUGE amount of time and effort Steve undertakes to get these parts to us, he can act however he damn well pleases. If you are incapable of interacting with real human beings with emotions and tons of history in their head, and prefer soulless, corporate politeness, then by all means stick to email. I would MUCH rather have Steve yell at me that I'm doing it wrong (and subsequently tell me how to do it right), than listen to some call center schmuck who hates their job, telling me how much their conglomerate company cares about me (bullshit) and how he's trying hard to solve my issue (which he is not) and if he could just please place me on hold (again) so he can check with a supervisor (take a piss) .. thank you very much.. not.

#153 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

That post was aimed generally, I know it was my fault, but otherwise I meant based on everything else and why I probably won't call back anyways and why I was nervous to call in the first place

So you screwed up and got on his bad side, but you're afraid to call back and fix it now because of this thread?

Grow some skin. Call back, apologize for the first order and do it over. Yes, Steve has emotions. One of them is annoyance. Another is forgiveness. Try them both

#159 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Thanks for your reply, that is a very valid response. That being said, however, that doesn't make people like Richtofen's statements wrong.

Rich is the fella who refuses to live anywhere but the friendly confines of metro Boston because he doesn't want to expose his future family to the rest of the big bad world. Some people are more sheltered than others. IMHO it's best to learn how to interact with ALL types of personalities and people as early in life as possible. Gruff but well-storied folks like Steve (and M Pacak and others) are definitely worth the effort.

3 weeks later
    #195 7 years ago
    Quoted from mg81:

PBR may hate me for saying this, but I have totally given up on finding parts numbers when I call in the an order. After reading the warnings I went to great efforts to look up part numbers and have my list ready. What happened? Over half of the parts were "not available, but this is the replacement part number" or "this is the available substitute".

That's normal.. Steve is just letting you know the updated number in the hope you will update YOUR notes and use the new number in the future. But, it's your original part numbers that allowed Steve to find the parts you needed in the first place, regardless of new numbers, so looking them up was totally not a waste of time

4 weeks later
    #212 7 years ago
    Quoted from CubeSnake:

I've ordered from Mr. Young in the past without issue. I knew what to order, what the part #'s were and that's it. I have no love or hate for him. BUT-his yelling at and "chiding" people whom he THINKS are going to mis-use a tool is just plain discourteous and ill mannered. A person can disagree without being disagreeable. I don't think Mr. Young has ever mastered that.

"disagreeable" is a subjective term. I'd rather a competent Steve talk to me like a real person and give real advice than deal with fake customer service reps at large (not pinball) companies who are as nice and polite as can be while they completely f*ck up the simple task they're supposed to be helping with.

#224 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Meanwhile, it seems like it's some kind of "I got past Steve's bad side by sucking up!" cult going on around here, like it's some kind of accomplishment to get him on a good day for your first call or just manage to wave through the ocean of shit long enough before you finally can have a decent conversation with him.

No, it's called simply being an adult. You need to get over this whole Steve thing. You screwed up and got off on the wrong foot with someone and instead of just apologizing and getting on with things, you write books on forums about it. It's not a cult, it's just learning to deal with different kinds of people. If you can't deal with him, then yea, email is the way.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider metallik.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/awful-first-experience-with-pbr-any-good-alternatives?tu=metallik and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.