(Topic ID: 169917)

Awful first experience with PBR, any good alternatives?

By Otaku

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 237 posts
  • 117 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ag (resized).jpg
    kitnlogo (resized).jpg
    mob-enforcer (resized).jpg
    c64 (resized).PNG
    Capture (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    nosoup (resized).jpg
    Analogue_modem_-_acoustic_coupler (resized).jpg
    modem (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    Steve-Young (resized).jpg
    tumblr_msf8xv7npZ1sh0lomo1_500 (resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 237 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 7 years ago

[EDIT: Please read my final say on the matter and WHY it is not okay to just deal with Steve's attitude: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/awful-first-experience-with-pbr-any-good-alternatives/page/5#post-3460614]

[EDIT #2: Going to have this closed as I feel we left it at a good spot for it. It's settled. I'm sure anybody else who has similar sentiments can make their own thread as I never intended this to be the "mega-thread" for it, but it has definitely helped my argument and I am grateful to those who also spoke out! Thank you. I think we're done here though!]

E-mailed PBR with my first order (saying I wanted to pick up), then something pretty large came up in my life so I decided for the sake of me and PBR I better just have it shipped so neither of us have to wait too long for what we want. They said it would have to be repacked. It was. In a confusing shift of times, I was able to get back in the area (2 hours away but was willing to make the trip for the York show coming up, couldn't wait for shipping) so I called the phone number hoping to get some going for today and was very forward about definitely being able to come get it today, or if not. continue with getting it shipped.

I am 18 so getting the money together and the check in the mail kind of thing is still new to me as was ordering from PBR, with a payment system so old I had actually never ordered anything by check or phone in my lifetime, but at no point was I trying to be a jerk about it and was always respectful and apologetic in my e-mails and phone call during my first go around with not only ordering from PBR, but also my first check order. After fussing with getting the checks in the first place and all of that, I figured it was time to bite the bullet and just pick it up. Was very excited about this and getting a brand new restoration for people to play at the show, with no asking price as 0 of the 3 machines I am bringing for people to enjoy are for sale. As usual. I do this for about 4 shows every year and always try to get my games into tip top shape in the essence of a "show".

I'm also apparently not even allowed to re-order after making a mistake, this is all so new to me, and confusing. What an awful call!

Anyways, it went like this (order is a week old):

"Hi, my name is Steven, I ordered by e-mail and would like to see if it would be possible to pick up my order today."

"Alright, sure, what is your full name so I can check on that for you?"

"Great! My full name is [full name]."

"Alright, give me 2 seconds and I will check on that for you."

[5 minutes later]

"Are you there?"

"Yes." (-Me)

"Unfortunately your order has been restocked, if you would have called yesterday I saw the box around still but since you took so long it's back up on the shelves."

"Oh, okay... Sorry! So there's no possibility..."

"Like I said, it's back up on the shelves. It's gone."

Is there anything I can do, how should I go about redoing my order, should I send another e-mail, or do it here, or?"

"We're not interested in fulfillng your order anymore. You've caused too much trouble for us here. That's that." in a very snarky tone.

Then there was about 10 seconds of silence as I waited for him to offer some sort of alternative or opportunity for me to apologize but obviously there was none, so I said "Okay." and then hung up. Kind of disappointed. I mentioned in the e-mail that I was looking to be a long-term customer as I have many machines and this will be a great asset and that I was excited to do business with them. But apparently they don't want my money. Their loss. I heard many times that they're snarky but decided to give them a chance anyways. Looks like I'm not ordering from them anymore... if I'm even allowed to?

Anyways, although now my restoration won't be finished in time for all to enjoy at York, I would still like to buy the parts new. Does anybody know if anywhere else would happen to have these parts? I know they're pretty exclusive, some of them, but I figure it's worth a shot. My order was a pretty big one worth quite a lot. Otherwise, I'll just ask somebody else to tack it onto the end of their order and pay them what it costs and pay for their shipping. Thanks!

GTB-A8857 - $0.50 each - metal post - Quantity: 21
    GTB-SC125 - $0.20 each - speed nut - Quantity: 21
    Gottlieb #131 - $1.71 each - pop bumper light socket - Quantity: 3
    B-8246 - $0.75 each - non-adhesive pop bumper mylar - Quantity: 3
    KT-GSTEP-01 - $6.75 each - stepper unit (w/ reset) spring kit - Quantity: 1
    GTB-A4524A - $3.25 each - Red Metal Door Push Button - Quantity: 1
    Ring HDW-CRING14 - $0.10 each - Retaining Ring CRING14 for above button, and also front door hole plug - Quantity: 11 (yes, eleven)
    #C10715+ - $2.50 each - Gottlieb 25c coin entry plate - Quantity: 2
    #A10727+ - $2.00 each - Gottlieb 25c for 2 (two) plays coin entry insert - Quantity: 2
    GTB-A4386A - $2.90 each - Coin reject rod - Quantity: 2
    Ring HDW-CRING38 - $0.14 each - Coin reject retainer ring - Quantity: 2
    Plug GTB-A7478A - $2.40 each - Front Door Hole Plug - Quantity: 1
    #LOCK - $4.00 each - Lock 7/8" (One for coin door, one for original back door) - Quantity: 2
    #A9995 - $1.50 each - Ball In Play Card - Quantity: 1
    A-15166 RED - $4.00 each - 'Moves 10X Target Lite When Lit' Pop Bumper Cap in RED - Quantity: 1
    A-13905 RED - $6.00 each - Gottlieb® White Pop Bumper Body RED - Quantity: 1
    A-11426 BLUE - $4.00 each - '100 Points When Lit' Pop Bumper Cap in BLUE - Quantity: 2
    A-13905 BLUE - $6.00 each - Gottlieb® White Pop Bumper Body BLUE - Quantity: 2
    B10432W WHITE - $1.09 each - Bumper Base - Quantity: 3
    A1218B BLUE - $0.85 each - 6 Hole Pop Bumper Skirt - Quantity: 2
    A1218R RED - $0.85 each - 6 Hole Pop Bumper Skirt - Quantity: 1
    BALL116 - $1.60 each - Pinball - Quantity: 1
    C11561W WHITE - $0.50 each - 1 “Facetted Post - Quantity: 45

#2 7 years ago

Also note that I hope this is just a misunderstanding and I am not looking to trash PBR, but just to share my experience. I feel like shit and hopefully this situation can possibly be rectified in the future, and if not, that's incredibly silly, and I will gladly survive with my business going elsewhere just like it has for the last 2 years due to worry about figuring out how to order so "old school" and just not wanting to deal with the overcomplicatedness, and always reading the bad reviews online also prolonged that. But I decided now to suck it up and give it a shot and things backfired. Hopefully this can be mended eventually, although no clue where to start.

#3 7 years ago

Sometimes people are just hard to deal with. Communication is hard. Sorry to hear of your troubles.

PBR and PHOF, both owned by two unique individuals.

#4 7 years ago

pbr rules and you sound like kind of a pain in the ass as a customer. They are very busy and don't have time to deal with bullshit like this.

And can you stop reminding us you are 18 every time you post? The babe in the woods routine is getting kind of old. You are an adult now, act like it. Part of that is working out minor disputes like this without dragging them before the court.

You are into the old games - and if you are gonna make that your passion you are gonna have to learn how to work with pinball resource and steve young - who are both HUGE assets to the hobby

Clearly you are off to a shitty start.

#5 7 years ago

They are a very particular company when it comes to ordering. I found it odd how they were so dated myself, but after getting established with the first order, I can now just email my order with my customer number, they send the stuff with an invoice, and I send a check back.

They are really the only good spot for Gottlieb stuff. Maybe you can get some one else to order the stuff for you?

Honestly, you did cause a lot of back and forth for no reason. Pick up or ship, choose, dont go back and forth. LOL

#6 7 years ago

tumblr_msf8xv7npZ1sh0lomo1_500 (resized).jpgtumblr_msf8xv7npZ1sh0lomo1_500 (resized).jpg

#7 7 years ago

I normally just list the parts out in a email, get a confirmation of what is/isn't in stock, confirm the order, and a few days later, it's on my doorstep. Then I verify that everything is correct and mail out the check.

Your problem was changing your mind back and forth between pick-up and shipping. Stick to one or the other, and don't flip flop. This is probably what caused your order to become a hassle to deal with.

#8 7 years ago

Honestly there is nothing over complicated about ordering from Steve. First, phone your order in while having all of your part numbers at the ready. Tell him everything you want, phone call ends, Steve immediately packs your order and ships it out. At that point you wait for arrival which for you would be 2 days tops maybe even one because you are close to him. Unlike other places he ships same day and does not hold onto packages for 1-2 days before shipping. Unfortunately, you wasted your time fooling with trying to get checks. All you had to do was wait for the package to arrive, get a postal or western union money order which can be found at allot of places immediately, 7-11, grocery stores etc and send it out, end of transaction. It sounds like you had him do allot of unnecessary stuff and that ticked him off. He has an extremely tight system that he follows to a T and if you screw that up for him he will not be happy.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Then there was about 10 seconds of silence as I waited for him to offer some sort of alternative or opportunity for me to apologize but obviously there was none, so I said "Okay." and then hung up.

It sounds like that was your opportunity to apologize.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'd say you could try to order again later and they would let you. Just try to figure out if you want it shipped or picked up and stick with it, especially with such a large order. Also mail the check same day as you place the order.

Edit: It sounds like Forceflow has the process figured out. That makes me think maybe you should have asked here how to place an order with them. I know I will be learning from your mistakes.

Quoted from Otaku:

how to order so "old school" and just not wanting to deal with the overcomplicatedness

It's not really that complicated. Have a part number and mail a check. You should have checks if you have a bank account.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from sohchx:

Unfortunately, you wasted your time fooling with trying to get checks. All you had to do was wait for the package to arrive, get a postal or western union money order which can be found at allot of places immediately, 7-11, grocery stores etc and send it out, end of transaction.

First-time email orders at PBR need to be paid before they're shipped.

#11 7 years ago

Right on. Ordering from steve is EASY. Call him and tell him what you want. Then the stuff shows up, and then you pay.

I don't understand this post slagging Steve who a) will probably never read it, and b) wouldn't give a shit anyway.

The right thing to do is call him, adult to adult, and say "hey sorry about the other day lets try again."

Done and done. I 100% guarantee you that would have worked. And it would have gotten much better results then telling us you are 18 for the 50th time and looking for sympathy.

Come on man. Steve is a GREAT guy and literally thousands of games exist today because of the services he's offered since the 1970s.

#12 7 years ago

Thanks for the reply all. I agree that this is mainly my fault but this time I had already cleared my day to make sure I can fulfill my promise to get this over with. This was truly going to be the end of it and they were going to get paid and I was going to get my items. I wish I just had another chance to apologize but obviously after that during the phone call I was feeling a bit more confused/flustered rather than inclined to pour my heart out. Maybe another try another day will be a good option.

I still have dealt with other people who definitely would have accomadated for this and I do know that Steve is a very particular kind of guy so I should have realized this better. It was just a very weird situation with a lot of private stuff conflicting, usually I don't string people along (or try not to). All I know is cash & PayPal. And when I finally just wanted to get it over with, I had a envelope of cash and a full tank of gas ready to go right when I called. Unfortunately at that point it was too late though, which I understand, but at the same time it had only been a week. I think it became a much bigger deal than it should have been at least. I would understand this response if it were a lot longer than it was but most of that delay was due to lack of response from their end due to their hours and closures on the weekend. Not a problem (can't work all the time!), I'm just saying that it was also a factor.

Again, I'm not trying to pass the blame. I get his reasoning. Just a little intense.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

And can you stop reminding us you are 18 every time you post? The babe in the woods routine is getting kind of old.

I was just using that as context for never ordering by mail before. It's simply just something before my time that I hadn't been given the chance to learn previously. Being totally honest, I think the last time I've written a check was in 6th grade when we learned to write checks. So far there has been no other need, most of my bills/expenses are online now.

I am only looking to make friends in this hobby, not enemies. Next time I will be more thoughtful when dealing with somebody's business.

#13 7 years ago

Call steve, work it out, and you are back in business. I guarantee it.

Trust me with your passion for old games you are gonna need him more than he needs you

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't understand this post slagging Steve

I don't think he was slagging Steve but he's just worried that he won't ever have access to parts. Kid-worries. Like you said though, call him, apologize like an adult, and place another order. Everything will work out fine.

I'm sure at the time of the call Steve was a little perturbed at packing the parts twice and then putting them back on the shelf.

I know when I order online I sometimes worry if I remember everything. You'll always have to place another order so get used to it.

#15 7 years ago

My friends and I have ordered dozens of times from PBR and don't mind sending checks/money orders. This helps to keep costs down and prices low. I'm all for keeping the prices down. Lower prices means I can afford to buy more parts.

Sure, you can buy parts from Marco Specialties, but you'll pay double the price for the same parts.

My buddy Welby has literally purchased thousands of dollars of parts from PBR over the past 5 years.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

E-mailed PBR with my first order (saying I wanted to pick up), then something pretty large came up in my life so I decided for the sake of me and PBR I better just have it shipped so neither of us have to wait too long for what we want. They said it would have to be repacked. It was. In a confusing shift of times, I was able to get back in the area (2 hours away but was willing to make the trip for the York show coming up, couldn't wait for shipping) so I called the phone number hoping to get some going for today and was very forward about definitely being able to come get it today, or if not. continue with getting it shipped.

They are essentially the Soup Nazi of the pinball parts world. Place order by email or phone(not both), receive order, send check, repeat. Don't change it up, ask for extra bread, etc. That said they are invaluable for Gottlieb restores. They must have extremely low margins to keep prices so reasonable. Losing a few percent profit for the option to accept credit cards isn't worth it, as is time spent on customers who can't make up their freaking minds no matter how polite they are on the phone.

I can dig the old school ordering.

#17 7 years ago

Order by email. Use your customer number, offer to pre-pay.

I didn't have to pre-pay on my first order.

Jimmy has always answered my emails and been great to deal with. I've never talked to anyone at PBR on the phone.

#18 7 years ago

I get why Steve is sometimes a kind of brash. Most pinheads are really easy to work with, but there are some that require a lot more attention and communication than others.

Just respect Steve is probably really busy, so you need to make it easy for him or else he will apparently cut you off. I do board repair, and when people start to dick me around or give me the impression they may cause me a headache, I usually cut them off in the nicest way possible. Not enough time for everyone unfortunately so I go for the low hanging fruit.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Order by email. Use your customer number, offer to pre-pay.
    I didn't have to pre-pay on my first order.
    Jimmy has always answered my emails and been great to deal with. I've never talked to anyone at PBR on the phone.

When ordering, Jimmy never gave me a customer number (even after my order was ready) and I was only allowed to pre-pay, I guess due to how expensive the order was. He said from the start if I ever wanted to pick up the parts instead, I needed to call Steve. So I did.

Everything just got a little confusing at some point and I am aware I am involved in that. Thanks for your response.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

It's simply just something before my time that I hadn't been given the chance to learn previously. Being totally honest, I think the last time I've written a check was in 6th grade when we learned to write checks. So far there has been no other need, most of my bills/expenses are online now.

It's really not before your time though. You could use checks today if you wanted. It's just a new skill you are learning. In my area there are many places that only take cash or check. Feed stores, Grocery stores, Building supplies, Machine shops. It actually saves the business money because of service fees associated with credit/debit cards.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

You could use checks today if you wanted.

I still pay all my bills by check.

If you don't have a checkbook, then roll on down to the local 7-11 and get a money order.

#23 7 years ago

I've never heard of anyone picking up an order at PBR. Has anyone here picked up an order?

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from osudrummer:

They are essentially the Soup Nazi of the pinball parts world. Place order by email or phone(not both), receive order, send check, repeat. Don't change it up, ask for extra bread, etc.

LOL. This is spot on. And hilarious.

#25 7 years ago

I have never called to PBR to place an order, only email... I get prompt responses from Jimmy, but same rules applies, have a list of the parts you need ready, make your research before, keep the chit-chat to a minimum, and please.. DO NOT send any photos attached to your email, otherwise you will be sent to the penalty box.

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

I get why Steve is sometimes a kind of brash. Most pinheads are really easy to work with, but there are some that require a lot more attention and communication than others.
    Just respect Steve is probably really busy, so you need to make it easy for him or else he will apparently cut you off. I do board repair, and when people start to dick me around or give me the impression they may cause me a headache, I usually cut them off in the nicest way possible. Not enough time for everyone unfortunately so I go for the low hanging fruit.

Thanks for your response. At times I do tend to be the one who has more questions or has more trouble getting everything together (particularly money, which is also convieniently a topic many people lie about with similar excuses, so I understand) but I try to be apologetic and honest always, as well as doing the same for others. At times it just really is genuinely hard to sort everything out, especially when a decent amount of money is involved. People have told me to leave the hobby before because of it (because it's a "you need money hobby") but I find that I can make my way with good projects and effort. I should have been faster this time, especially as a first time customer.

As for the second part, that makes sense.

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I normally just list the parts out in a email, get a confirmation of what is/isn't in stock, confirm the order, and a few days later, it's on my doorstep. Then I verify that everything is correct and mail out the check.
    Your problem was changing your mind back and forth between pick-up and shipping. Stick to one or the other, and don't flip flop. This is probably what caused your order to become a hassle to deal with.

(EDIT - a lot of what I wrote already was posted while I wrote my post! Sorry about the repeat info)

Just to confirm, everything about calling in is good, but like FF said you can also do it all by email as an alternative. That's how I do it, I have never called there, I have done it all by email since the beginning and I have never had a problem with a number of orders for a variety of different parts. I don't have time for phone calls and I prefer email anyway so I can see everything written down and confirm it.

Usually it is Jimmy that helps with the emails. He has always helped me when I had some questions. I have never had an issue with any of my orders. No problems at all. Just do not send in any pictures unless asked to!

As far as the part of having never written a check in your life, it was a bit humorous to us "old people", but the reality is, it is totally understandable. I would imagine that a lot of people get by nowadays with no checking account. So you will need to get a money order which is a little more work.

Is it all somewhat more of a pain than the usual way we do things nowadays, with simple click and order carts and easy payment by credit card or Paypal? Sure, but for me its OK. I consider it amazing that we can even get all these parts for these pinball machines that are 30, 40, or 50 years old. What a bummer it would be if those weren't available.

On a final note, I have always found that doing "Will Call" or local pickup for almost any of these types of businesses ends up being a pain. I have done it a number of times since there are various places near me, but it always seems to end up being more of a hassle than just getting it shipped. These places tend to have a system in place geared toward shipping stuff out the door, and it always seems like me showing up to pick up a package causes them to have to veer away from that.

#28 7 years ago

1) Everyone on Earth has the perception of losing a pound of verbal flesh to Steve's direct conversation style. You really didn't. In time you will understand.

2)They are WAY to busy to deal with indecisiveness. Again, direct, to the point and accurate.

3)That was a big order to have to restock. That is highly annoying.

4)I have never hear of them banning anyone from ordering. If you have the bill or know the correct amount, resubmit your order BY MAIL WITH THE CHECK ENCLOSED. If you want to include a SHORT note apologizing (whether you think you need to or not) for flip-flopping on them, would be a good thing. I would be surprised if they deny your order.

If you search the archives you will find dozens of posts very similar to yours, who are now happy, lifetime PR customers. You can be one too.

#29 7 years ago

Why is op whining?

PBR is old school. Yeah, checks suck. They also do not charge an extra fee to pbr which jacks up their cost. Steven runs his business his way and given how long he has been around and how loyal people are to him he must be doing something right.

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

1) Everyone on Earth has the perception of losing a pound of verbal flesh to Steve's direct conversation style. You really didn't. In time you will understand.
    2)They are WAY to busy to deal with indecisiveness. Again, direct, to the point and accurate.
    3)That was a big order to have to restock. That is highly annoying.
    4)I have never hear of them banning anyone from ordering. If you have the bill or know the correct amount, resubmit your order BY MAIL WITH THE CHECK ENCLOSED. If you want to include a SHORT note apologizing (whether you think you need to or not) for flip-flopping on them, would be a good thing. I would be surprised if they deny your order.
    If you search the archives you will find dozens of posts very similar to yours, who are now happy, lifetime PR customers. You can be one too.

Ordering by mail sounds like a great idea, I didn't think of that. Having everything together (order, check, address) as it should be will help a lot and also eliminates sometimes tough communication. I will try that, and also include a short note. Thanks!

In terms of understanding, I do understand that I did run him around a bit (strictly unintentionally, of course) and that this has probably happened to him many times before by lazy people or people with worse intentions and that he has a business to run.

#31 7 years ago

old enough to go to war. not old enough to know what a check is. lol. good luck kid.

#32 7 years ago

18 year olds shouldn't be drinking PBR

#33 7 years ago

Order from your BF/GF's email address and postal address.

Make sure all your numbers are correct before you order

Steve-Young (resized).jpgSteve-Young (resized).jpg

#34 7 years ago

Like Cody Chunn has said, everyone has had their ear chewed up by Steve at some point or another. Hell, he once ripped me up just because he thought I wasn't ordering the right parts (or maybe it was too many parts, I don't remember. That was years ago.)

Time marches on. If you choose to write a note, make it hand written. Hand written sentiments are always more personal than a typed up one. Then again, knowing Steve, he'd probably scoff and complain he can't read your handwriting

Either way, don't let it get to you. I'm sure it'll all work out.

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

everyone has had their ear chewed up by Steve at some point or another.

The only ear chewing he ever gave me was a nice long phone conversation about this and that and what not.

I knew from the beginning his way of doing things was my way of doing things, so we hit it off no problem.

#36 7 years ago

When i first seen this thread i thought it was about bull riding {PBR}. Thought maybe you got a horn in your ass.

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

If you choose to write a note, make it hand written. Hand written sentiments are always more personal than a typed up one. Then again, knowing Steve, he'd probably scoff and complain he can't read your handwriting

Make sure you print in block letters.

There is no way Steve has time to decipher your scribble.

And use Black ink. When you write in Red, it reminds Steve of being in grade school.

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

The only ear chewing he ever gave me was a nice long phone conversation about this and that and what not.
    I knew from the begining his way of doing things was my way of doing things, so we hit it off no problem.

Very cool. I really didn't know what to expect that long ago when I first ordered from him, so I got the "lecture" from him. Fast forward to present, and I've had nothing but super pleasant inquiries with him and the others that work there. You just gotta know what to expect, I guess.

#39 7 years ago

Before I called Steve for the first time I did the research. Had parts numbers ready, but was confused about a few. When i called I explained right away that I knew nothing about repairing pinball machines and that I heard he was a grouchy bastard. Once I got him laughing I knew I had it made. He was VERY helpful and gave me a good schooling. He explained how he worked and didn't put up with bullshit.
    He also told me he may not do any more shows. (don't know if that's true)
    PS: I like Steve.

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Very cool. I really didn't know what to expect that long ago when I first ordered from him, so I got the "lecture" from him.

I think one of the reasons he never gave me a hard time is my first order included a game manual. That's the start of a good relationship with PBR.

#41 7 years ago

Honestly, I only order from them when I have to. If I can get the same parts somewhere else, I will. Sucks there are some things you can only find at PBR but so be it.

I don't think you have anything to feel sorry for. PBR is a business and you are a consumer. They aren't doing some kind of special public service that requires your fealty or worship. Plenty of other businesses in the same space perform similar function without these problems. That said, more power to them to conduct business as they please, but they ultimately lose many hundreds of dollars in sales per year from me because of it. They don't care, I don't care.

And I don't see how being bullied by pinsiders to entirely modify your view as a customer makes you an adult. Quite the opposite.

#42 7 years ago

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#43 7 years ago

Anybody that has ever been in the automotive repair business and has had to deal with Ford and their obsolete and superseded part numbers will tell you ordering from PBR is a walk in the park relatively speaking.

#44 7 years ago

I have done tons of orders with pbr - always fine and any issues/wrong parts etc get sorted out.

I have NEVER spoken to them.

Just send parts with part numbers in an email.

Send check to cover or more and go into credit.

If you are into em's you need pbr 100%.

Just email Jimmy and do orders via email and apologize for any inconvenience.

Don't let pride stop you getting what you need! I have heard many stories about Steve and pbr but email orders are very easy.

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from uncle_jose:

DO NOT send any photos attached to your email, otherwise you will be sent to the penalty box.

Actually i find this is not true. I have sent pics of a few oddball parts from older machines and they are ok with it or say "no we dont have that style" bu again its oddball parts and part # are not avail.

you can normally send an electronic check thru your bank without the need for a physical check in your hand.

I would email a new order , prepay, ship and make no mention of what has come before.

--jeff

#46 7 years ago

Agree with Soup Nazi analogy, always how I describe Steve. He is easy to work with IF you follow the rules for ordering. If you talked to him more than once about your order when it was not due to him asking a question, you were already in trouble, then changing things, oy vey.

I just email with part numbers, wait for email saying "confirmed", wait for arrival send check same day. Always include customer number.

I'd be careful ordering all the exact same stuff via a friend, likely to get them banned as well.

#47 7 years ago

Once you figure in your 10% discount for exceeding $100 on your order, you will find the PBR to always be the least expensive option, with the best quality parts.

The only reason that PBRs prices are so good is because they don't accept Paypal or CreditCards.

Their shipping prices, even on large items like playfields, is rock bottom.

PBRs rubber is excellent, and their pop caps (unlike other sellers) are correct.

If you can get your ship together, PBR is one of pinball's best resources.

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

If you can get your ship together, PBR is one of pinball's best resources.

Some would say it's THE pinball resource.

#49 7 years ago

PBR is great. Reminds me that I need to be precise and prepared. This is a good thing.

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Ordering by mail sounds like a great idea, I didn't think of that. Having everything together (order, check, address) as it should be will help a lot and also eliminates sometimes tough communication. I will try that, and also include a short note. Thanks!
    In terms of understanding, I do understand that I did run him around a bit (strictly unintentionally, of course) and that this has probably happened to him many times before by lazy people or people with worse intentions and that he has a business to run.

Don't feel bad. Dealing with Steve is the equivalent of popping your pinball cherry.

A LONG time ago I did my research, had the proper #'s...called... and I was always polite and he was always rude. Always.

Finally I got fed up and told him off and then strangely he was fine to deal with from then on. Friendly even...

I figured it was a NY kind of thing...

There are 237 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/awful-first-experience-with-pbr-any-good-alternatives and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.