Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by GLSP3022
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

74DFD2E8-F6C4-418A-A13A-10A540129652 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4216 (resized).JPG
    IMG_4215 (resized).JPG
    20180104_221835 (resized).jpg
    20180104_221845 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

Check out this awesome new method I just learned if you have the wrong size rubber on hand or an old stretched rubber. All you need to do is take a couple of deck screws and drill them into the playfield.....

Just found this during the tear down of the Jurassic Park I just bought. I almost can't believe it. I am sure you people who buy, sell, and restore machines all the time have probably seen worse but this was unbelievable to me!

20180104_221845 (resized).jpg20180104_221845 (resized).jpg

20180104_221835 (resized).jpg20180104_221835 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

This just makes my heart hurt.

#3 6 years ago

You could drasticly reduce ball loss to the side drains with this method.

#4 6 years ago

GENIUS! I love damaging a $800+ playfield to save a quarter on rubber! Especially when for f**ks sake a zip tie would have worked for a quick and dirty keep it playing fix. Op hackery at its finest!

I'm dealing with a lot of shit like that on my "new" CFTBL:
    IMG_4216 (resized).JPGIMG_4216 (resized).JPG
    Okay, you took the easy way out, made a new hole. It screws up how a plastic fits and how the ball comes off of that lane guide, but I almost get it.

IMG_4215 (resized).JPGIMG_4215 (resized).JPG
    WHAT THE HELL MAN? 7 holes where there should be two. HACK!

#6 6 years ago

That IS a classic, but these seem pretty minor in comparison.

Seriously tho, did they HAVE to drill the holes in the PF art tho?? Savages, I tell you.

#7 6 years ago

You were so preoccupied with whether you could that you didn't stop to think of whether you should.

#8 6 years ago

Putting thst rubber on jp was a pain, I didn't have the right size when I followed the manual, so I kind if get it. I wouldn't ever put a screw through though, haha

#9 6 years ago

Someone made a good point in the other thread which was, a lot of these hacks probably took place before the internet was common place. Things like where to buy the right sized rubbers etc. was not information that was super easy to find.

Still though a screw through the playfield is never a good idea.

#10 6 years ago

All to common. Last two machines I bought. This genius, three holes per outlane.

74DFD2E8-F6C4-418A-A13A-10A540129652 (resized).jpeg74DFD2E8-F6C4-418A-A13A-10A540129652 (resized).jpeg

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from Texastravis:

Check out this awesome new method I just learned if you have the wrong size rubber on hand or an old stretched rubber. All you need to do is take a couple of deck screws and drill them into the playfield.....
    Just found this during the tear down of the Jurassic Park I just bought. I almost can't believe it. I am sure you people who buy, sell, and restore machines all the time have probably seen worse but this was unbelievable to me!

Hopefully you can put a star post there and cover most of that up.

Also the manuals are wrong a lot on the 2 data east titles I own, especially when it comes to rubbers.

#12 6 years ago

"Awesome new way to ruin your playfield!"

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from DCRand:

This genius, three holes per outlane.

Not Genius enough.

I would bet money on this.
    Top hole was first, oops, ball now gets stuck between new post and original playfield post.
    Middle post placement, oops again, ball rolls down the original playfield guide, hits new post, bounces down between the flippers.
    Bottom post placement, ya, got it right finally. Ball hits new post then bounces to the flipper. Third time is the Charm.

#14 6 years ago

Lol. I guess back when maybe there was no internet. I didn't know there was a thread dedicated to this idocracy though! I will have to post these pictures there!

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Not Genius enough.
    I would bet money on this.
    Top hole was first, oops, ball now gets stuck between new post and original playfield post.
    Middle post placement, oops again, ball rolls down the original playfield guide, hits new post, bounces down between the flippers.
    Bottom post placement, ya, got it right finally. Ball hits new post then bounces to the flipper. Third time is the Charm.

Makes more sense than anything. That particular spot may be the worst on the CFTBL field for a misplaced/ill-fitting post or guide, or any of this MacGyver stuff with all the center lane balls coming down that way to the upper half of the flipper to shoot it again. Too bad about those nasty holes in that PF art though. Must have not been a NOS replacement they tried to rig.

#16 6 years ago

I've seen a good bit of drywall screw usage in stuff like this. It sucks to see, but at least it's an easy repair (assuming it's hidden under a plastic or posts). Lately I've run into some real head scratch situations. Some of the repair hacks seem harder to pull off than to do it right. More expensive too.

#17 6 years ago

Can the ball get stuck between that post and the bumper? Adding the screws could be an attempt to fill the gap to reduce ball traps instead of a hack to install bigger rubbers.

#18 6 years ago

Yeah like some others have suggested, this is a common spot for ball traps. I may try to replace the post with a star post or use one of those new holes for a thin post. Hmm

#19 6 years ago

A lot of DE games like LW3 had a small coiled up spring with a little 'finger' that stuck out near the pops to keep balls out of those areas. Not sure if JP had these? They attached to the top of the post near the pop.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/awesome-new-way-to-reuse-stretched-and-wrong-sized-rubber?hl=clempo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.