(Topic ID: 257850)

Official Rick and Morty Club - You are not like other carbon based life forms.

By TheNoTrashCougar

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20,219 posts
  • 742 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 41 hours ago by Jigz
  • Topic is favorited by 333 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3963 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3962 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3961 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3960 (resized).jpeg
RAM ALT Translite 2022.3.19 (resized).jpg
IMG_3481 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_6211325_0 (resized).png
IMG_1914 (resized).jpeg
RAM L Loop Guard fail2b 2024.3.24 (resized).jpg
b5f006fa-9417-42d1-8730-250ad8488fb6.__CR0,0,1080,1080_PT0_SX300_V1___ (resized).jpg
P3230229 (resized).JPG
P3230228 (resized).JPG
rm-bcm (resized).jpg
20240213_184156 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
422528975_3643555955960477_8769668710301573887_n (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

106 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #256 Rules posted by Eric as of Feb 2020 Posted by epthegeek (4 years ago)

Post #510 R&M Options Posted by Morinack (4 years ago)

Post #589 Useful post for coin door comparison. Posted by NeilMcRae (4 years ago)

Post #637 More code rules - Adventures full lost Posted by epthegeek (4 years ago)

Post #745 Club thread reminder. Posted by TigerLaw (4 years ago)

Post #748 Cards for the game rules and what not. Posted by Coindropper (4 years ago)

Post #751 Darker outline for instruction cards. Posted by Coindropper (4 years ago)

Post #976 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Wireform ball launch and coil adjustment Posted by timmmmyboy (4 years ago)

Post #1006 TECH:Pitch recommendation from Scott. Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#314 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Nah, that might get us in trouble with Costco.

"Kirkland Signature" brand was named after Kirkland, WA which was the location of the corp headquarters initially. I am no lawyer, but it seems one could find clever ways to use the city name and not the Costco trademark to achieve the same result...

2 weeks later
#1314 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Us west coasters have pinball envy.

No kidding! 8-bit in Renton is getting one *eventually*.

8 months later
#7292 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkA:

- Cabinet Speaker Excursion: (This is the big one!) The speaker surround hits the speaker grill and / or the cabinet hole edge! This is what gives you that nasty rattle/distortion on the really low frequencies like when your ball is over.

Found my TNA had the same issue. I fixed it with high density foam tape;
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome/page/147#post-5945367

PXL_20201031_034733115 (resized).jpgPXL_20201031_034733115 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#9070 3 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

Yo' pinball people.
Ok... spent some time on the phone with the mfg. We have never changed anything in the flipper mechs and have been running the same everything since day one here at Spooky over the course of well over 2,000 games to date in that regard.
BUT... looking at older Spooky games here vs Rick and Morty ... you pinball maniacs ain't wrong. The flippers do sit a bit higher with this same ol' same ol' Wms style bushing.
ALSO BUT... some of you do see this as a problem. And we all do agree here that this CAN BE IMPROVED REGARDLESS.
So... since it can be improved... our manufacturer has agreed to work with us and yep, we'll be getting our very own Spooky Pinball specific flipper bushing tooling put together.
Anyone who feels they want to change theirs out, give us an email: [email protected] ... it will take a couple months (best guess) to get this tooling change tested, made, and in stock but we'll happily replace your bushings and obviously they'll be factory installed on all future production.
So there you have it... you spoke, we listened. Anyone who wants a set of 3 bushings for Rick and Morty we'll happily ship you them free of charge.
Hope that helps, and HAPPY HOLIDAYS! Peace, love, and all things pinball ya'll.

Well done Charlie. Two questions.

1) When the new parts are available, will new games be built with these going forward?

2) Do you plan a little play testing of your first prototype of the updated bushings to see if you can provide some kind of qualitative assessment between the two? Not that Pinside isn't the de facto truth for all and everything....but it sure would be nice to hear from the manufacturer the results of their own Pepsi challenge.

I am also curious if the whitewood or the early proto games have the flippers sitting lower than the production versions.

#9082 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

(1) was answered in Charlie's post..."they'll be factory installed on all future production."

whoops. Pinball is easy... reading is hard.

1 month later
#10434 3 years ago

#563 invoiced for options. Spooky's manufacturing speed has increased while my project completion speed has decreased. Time to get creative for game space. It's a wonderfully terrible problem to have.

#10527 3 years ago

I'm on the fence for the speaker LEDs. Is the glare when playing as bad as the the pictures/videos seem to show? I didn't have them on my TNA, so I don't have a good reference on what to expect.

#10646 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Exactly. Why not collaborate with the P-ROC provider to solve this problem? Based on another comment, Houdini had this problem as well? If so, the solution should be shared with other P-ROC platforms. Just shocking to me that this isn't getting more airplay.
Again, my son just visited me and just started playing the game and immediately commented on how odd and disorienting the flipper fallback is. It's already a tough game, and bugs like this shouldn't make the game more difficult.
Flipper fallback really sucks during multi-balls. Never experienced this on any Stern or Bally/Williams games.

For Houdini, the game was designed with flippers without EOS switches. All hold power was determined by software. Hold strength was a game setting, and I found that bumping this up to max cleared up most problems for me. On top of that, adding EOS switches was expected to clear up the remaining knockbacks that would occur only on the hardest hit. I sold my Houdini right after installing, so can't really be sure the problem went away completely. I not sure the severity with R&M as I am still waiting for my game, but for Houdini, a hard hit would cause an up flipper to completely drop and would not be usable again until the flipper button was released and re-pressed. This makes sense when you think without an EOS switch, only the flipper button gives an indication to switch to hold power. So my guess is, the R&M behavior is way better than what Houdini was out of the box.

Interesting, I never had this problem on TNA which is also the same hardware as R&M (and theoretically the same control software?).

1 month later
#11761 3 years ago
Quoted from gstellenberg:

So now the programming/settings tradeoff is how strongly to hold the flipper up (which creates more heat ) vs how often to re-energize the coil to overcome knockdowns (which also generates heat, but not nearly as much as constantly pulsing the coil).

Gerry, does the system design support the idea of adjusting hold power dynamically based on game events? I had the thought that total hold strength could be a combination of the base hold pwm value and a modifier value (either an adder or multiplier). The modifier would dynamically change based on game events. So for example in R&M, when the slam ring is triggered (or scoop), the modifier would jump and the total hold power would go up to deal with the impending force but only for a small time window. The modifier would have a fast decay rate to bring the total hold power down to the base. It might even be beneficial to have a negative modifier for mundane events to reduce temp build up even more; say when a ball is cradled for more than a couple seconds, or when orbits, ramps, locks, etc are detected.

I haven't studied the proc design or the API set, so I don't know if this is possible, or if it would all have to be implemented in software. If the latter, then I would worry about timing. Anyway, it would be a way to get max hold power with the least amount of power usage.

#11774 3 years ago

<technical discussion of possible flipper-control software>

Your idea would more intelligently detect certain cases where a knockdown is more likely to happen and increase hold power to avoid an EOS event, but it's unnecessary.
- Gerry
https://www.multimorphic.com

Sure, unnecessary for control, but a potential strategy to lower power consumption which should result in reduced coil temps. Overly simplified, if the majority of gameplay requires say 40% hold power to mitigate reflips, but a couple specific conditions require 100% hold power it seems you could significantly lower the average versus trying to statically split the difference at 80%. I'm making up numbers of course, but it should be straightforward to log total hold "on" time to see how much this approach could save.

Certainly off topic and happy to move to a dedicated thread if so desired. I don't seem to have anything better to do but obsess in the thread until #563 shows up at my door...

1 week later
#12015 3 years ago

Ooowee.... #563 shipped out today.

It probably would have shipped a week or two ago, but I ran into payment delays.

#12033 3 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

BUG REPORT (using latest rm-gamecode-20210311.pkg)
I was in the "horn sounds" dimension (didn't look at the screen to read the name, sorry) when I started "Show me what you got!" mode. That mode kills the game sound effects, intentionally, I assume, so my horn sounds went away. But once the mode ended the game sounds stayed off, and there was only call-outs and music, no sounds from hitting targets, etc.

I noticed a similar (but opposite) issue when watching this game stream. In this case the game sounds were fine, but the callouts stopped shortly after starting Roy and MB and immediately following "mystery is lit" callout. The callouts stay off for the remainder of the stream through multiple new game starts (link starts video at the start of the issue).

#12035 3 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

LOL! You beat me to it. That's my stream. It's happened multiple times now. I have to turn off the game to get the sounds back.
P.S. Sorry for my mush mouth. The whiskey was flowing pretty good that night. haha!

Nice! I enjoyed watching the gameplay. Thank you both for the stream.

#12076 3 years ago

#563 landed, thankfully unmolested by fedex. An interesting side benefit to ordering the coin box is that it is in a separate box that is strapped to the top of the game box which discourages any stacking hijinks!

#12194 3 years ago

I also see occasions where the ball goes to the garage when the portal isn't lit. I think this happens when the right oribit switch doesn't register correctly. I haven't done any adjustment to that switch since pulling the game out of the box. It is on the todo list.

1 week later
#12287 3 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Prior to the latest update my flippers were rock solid with default settings. After the update I'm getting knock-downs again. Guess I need to change the settings.

UPDATE:
It turns out one of my EOS switch wires fell off, so the switch was not registering. This was the cause to my knockbacks, not the code update.

Same here. With the previous version, my flippers were dialed in perfectly. Zero knockdowns and plenty of power at lower settings. After the new update, I am having significant problems. I changed the settings to Aggressive and High hold strength. I thought that had cleared it up, but a fast return on the horseshoe knocked the right flipper from full up to full down and quivering. I made no other adjustments other than the code update. It's bad enough for me that after 15 minutes of playing I am going to revert back and wait to see how it pans out.

I did get to play the new mode a couple of times. I am really appreciative that the game continues to get significant additions. I did note, that there were no game sounds (switch hits, regular callouts, etc) during moonmen. I wasn't sure if it was intentional or a bug.

#12289 3 years ago

Are there specific steps to revert code versions? I rolled back to 0311 by the normal update method. While at first it boots and starts a game, when I go into the coil setting menu, I can see the 0405 hold adjustments. A couple seconds after paging through the coil settings, the game reboots. It seems like there are now pieces of 0405 that are still around in the game after reverting the code. Not great.

#12309 3 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

The only thing that changed with the flipper control between the March release and the April release is that the 'default' hold power was turned down to make them heat up slower. Nothing about what controls how the flippers recover was touched between those two releases.
DEFAULT/MEDIUM is significantly lower duty cycle than it was in March.
AGRESSIVE/HIGH is almost exactly what DEFAULT/MEDIUM used to be - just VERY SLIGHTLY less (16ms pauses versus 14ms).
If you're still somehow getting a full knockdown, either your EOS didn't properly work (to trigger the recovery) or the "recovery pulse" time isn't high enough.

Thanks for the info Eric. I moved back to the April release to fiddle with it more. It turns out that one of the wires on my right EOS switch detached itself from the tab and the switch was inoperable. What an amazing and annoying coincidence that it happened on the first game after the initial code update. Go figure. After fixing that and with it set to aggressive/high, the flippers feel as good as they did previously. Yeehaw.

#12350 3 years ago

I have had my game for a couple weeks now and yeah, it is fantastic. Kudos to the Spooky team. This game makes me laugh like no other. I am happy to report mine did play really well straight out of the box. Of course the more I have played it, the more I found things to fine tune. It hasn't taken much to improve from good to great. Besides the typical ball guides and flipper adjustments, an area that I wanted to improve was the consistency of the ball launches. A small percentage of the time the ball would travel a bit too far up the loop and sort of rattle its way to the upper flipper which would pretty much kill any chance of a successful skill shot. Other times, the launcher wasn't able to get it out of the lane and it would roll back down for a relaunch. I did spend a good amount of time tweaking the launch wireform and adjusting the launch power settings. I could never get it quite how I liked it.

I ended up designing a little helper that replaces the black ball trap post that is installed on the rail. I thought some of you might find it interesting. Assuming there is interest, I'll end up adding it to my pinside shop and probably make the 3d files available on thingiverse. The current version is perfectly functional. The balls now land in exactly the same location and feed the upper flipper the same every single time. I was also able to bump the launch power up a bit, so balls get back into the game a bit quicker now. I am probably going to refine the design a little further and see about getting some purple filament

20210411_183122 (resized).jpg20210411_183122 (resized).jpg20210411_183136 (resized).jpg20210411_183136 (resized).jpg20210411_183217 (resized).jpg20210411_183217 (resized).jpg
#12358 3 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

this is exactly what pinball life's aftermarket ramp does, but nice fix. I would only worry about the plastic deforming after thousands of ball hits.
If it were me I would do this:
* release this on thingiverse as-is (or you could post it on shapeways and make a small profit for every one sold)
* SELL a better version that adds a metal plate with a screw hole to the angled wall

Thanks for the thoughts. Honestly, I'm not that concerned with the plastic deforming or breaking. Material and design choices can prevent these type of failures. Also the end wire form ring still takes some of the energy. My main concern is the stress added to the screw and that it could eventually loosen and pull out of the wood. I did recess the screw hole so the mount screw would go deeper in the rail, but I will probably increase the base footprint to give more support.

#12608 3 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

Hey all recently my pop bumper (slam ring) isn't wanting to fire when the ball is coming straight down on it with low force. It has been a real slow progression with this happening as it's getting worse and worse. I can't adjust my switch any more closed as it would start to fire with a bump or flipper hit so that's not the culprit.
It almost seems like the skirt bottom isn't pointing dead straight down into the cup to activate the switch. Maybe its not centred in the cup making it more difficult to activate in that one direction. Also maybe there's just a bit too much friction in the cup from the skirt poker end.
Anyone ever put a tiny dot of lithium grease on a Q tip or something and rubbed it in the cup to create less friction? Anyone had this happen? any thoughts?
I know this is more of a pop bumper thing than a R&M thing, but figured i'd try the masses on this first.

Yep, I have had this problem too. For me it was dirty contacts for the spoon switch (like klr650 mentioned). You can test this by putting the playfield on the service rails, go into switch test and manually manipulate skirt or the switch blades directly. For me, the switch could be closed and not trigger unless I used extra force on the blades. In game, a slow roller from the top across the outer edge of the skirt wouldn't do anything, but a full hit from the side would be enough down force to trigger. After a quick swipe with my contact cleaning tool, it worked as expected. The interesting thing is that the problem came back after may another 40ish games. I used some contact cleaning solution and cleaned again. If the problem comes back I am going to try replacing with new contact pieces. It seems strange to me that the contacts are having difficulty conducting after such little usage.

#12611 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Pop is next to the flippers, might be getting more black dust that typical on the contacts.

If that was the culprit, wouldn't it be more of a problem with the EOS switches?

#12614 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Try putting a little flitz on a q-tip, polish the contact and buff off with a couple clean q-tips.
I have done this with finicky contacts and it works wonders.
The flitz keeps the contacts from oxidizing and also dries out leaving a slick coating.
It also works for old crusty blackish looking, gold contacts that paper wont clear off.
As always, dont sand gold contacts, it ruins them.
If you see color on your q-tip, you know its cleaning off some oxidation.
Though gold doesnt oxidize, oxidation from the copper leafs gets on them and plates them with gunk.

Good tip, I'll try that next opportunity. I use deoxit for chemical cleaning.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I3G272M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

Right, never sand paper. I use the GC contact cleaner stick. Business card/equiv works fine too.
https://www.pinballlife.com/contact-burnisher.html

#12648 3 years ago

epthegeek - In Looks Who Purging Now, if mystery awards a grenade during the mode, how do you use it? It doesn't seem to relight the blue arrow for collection on the left loop. I think I am missing something.

#12665 3 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

You had the grenade, the bug was in the light coming back on. Fixed. Thanks!

Awesome, thanks! Yes I could see that the grenade count in the text at the the bottom of the screen went from 0 to 1, but I couldn't figure out a way to use it.

Is posting in this thread your preferred way to receive these kind of potential bug reports?

#12691 3 years ago

I ran across the lost sound fx bug on the latest code. Since the game didn't crash, does pulling the debug log help in troubleshooting?

#12730 2 years ago

epthegeek - I think I have another new bug to report. I still am not sure if this is the right place to report these, so I will also send this info to your email which I think is in this thread somewhere. Also, I am not sure if debug logs help at all when the game doesn't crash.

Summary:
During gromofolite MB, the scoop switch becomes inoperative and the scoop stops ejecting. There is no ball search and the game essentially is stuck.

How to reproduce:
I am not sure. I have seen this two times now and only on the latest code. In both cases I was running a mode (moonmen the first time, total rickall the second) and the MB simultaneously. For the most recent example, I started the MB and the mode at the same time (can't remember if this was true for the other time, but I think it was). The MB/mode started while in a dimension. In the recent example, I changed dimensions during as well. Sometime during play a ball would go into the scoop and then just never come out. The game continues to run otherwise. It's hard to remember exactly what's going on when it stops working, but it seems to me the ball getting stuck in the scoop coincides with draining a ball down the middle (no outlane switch triggers). So perhaps there is a scenario when both happen simultaneously, some kind of race condition is exposed. I can imagine this will be tricky to find.

Other Notes;
Since I had seen this before, I was a little more prepared to run a few experiments. While the game was stuck in this state, I pulled the glass off and tested a few other switches. They all worked fine. Thinking about it more, I probably should have confirmed that I was testing switches that share the same switch board to see if it was a serial communication loss with the whole board. I then pulled all the balls out of the game (this time I had managed to get 3 balls trapped in the scoop) and manually manipulated the scoop switch. It did not trigger. I then lifted the playfield and manipulated the switch from below, it didn't trigger. I went directly from game stuck to switch test and without changing anything, I confirmed that triggering the switch in the same way showed correct behavior in the switch test. I also went into switch test immediately after my first time seeing this bug and also confirmed the switch was registering as expected. To me this rules out flaky hardware.

#12738 2 years ago

Ok - it looked unusually large to me. Maybe an optical illusion.
- Gerry
https://www.multimorphic.com

This is a really good observation Gerry. I have a harder time with drop catches on this game. My thought has always been that the return springs seem stronger than other games and it messes with my timing. Interesting...

#12740 2 years ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

Maybe I'll try replacing the spring now and see if that does anything. I'll report back.
Can someone who is having no problems hitting the left ramp and has not changed the alignment of their flippers, send a photo so I can see where they are lined up.

I mean, it is pure speculation on my part. I haven't checked anything to confirm. But it tickled my brain when Gerry asked the question. The last thing we need is another rabbit hole to chase

#12743 2 years ago

Where my flippers currently are...[quoted image]

Yours are a bit higher than mine. On the left, I basically have it eyeballed so that the flipper rubber is right at where the alignment hole starts. The right flipper I have it maybe 1mm higher than that. This wasn't quite where they were from the factory. I dialed these in to prioritize the right orbit (from the left) and backhanding the right ramp (from the right). I am really happy with how my game shoots.

20210424_141201 (resized).jpg20210424_141201 (resized).jpg
#12810 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I just tried testing this another dozen times and can't get it to fail as described. So "How to reproduce" wasn't really accurate. Yes, I know it can still pop up - no, I don't know what causes it (because I can't make it happen on purpose).

Yeah, I have tried to reproduce several times with the glass off to no avail. When this shows up again, what kind of data would be helpful to collect? Do you have debug builds that log game state and switch changes?

#12838 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Yeah, the multiball + mode thing is the common thread - and I've tested it every way I can think of with that stack. "What if (this set of events), what if (that set of events)" - haven't ever managed to create the problem. I keep throwing in extra checks/tests to try to prevent what MIGHT be the problem; but so far haven't hit it swinging blindly.

Eric, I had a thought. Will PM you directly to keep the thread noise down.

#12848 2 years ago
Quoted from orlandu81:

Yes how can I forget. Drained...like a B***H

Or when you lose a ball with the ball save on...."Hiding in the ball trough, bitch?" I laughed hard at that one. There is another that doesn't come up often; if you manage to get a 5-ball multiball, the game has to reload the portal. There is a great Rick callout when this happens

I used to restart new games before the match sequences finished (since they are non-skippable), but I realized I was missing far too many awesome end of game comments. I have since turned the match off so I get to enjoy them after every game. Seeing the look on my wife's face from hearing "That....was f***ing aweful" was priceless haha.

#12867 2 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Just had a killer game. ~50M were in Love Potion #9. With the new cooler running flipper code and fan running, the flippers played strong throughout!
Really love the scoring on this game...always feeling like a "good ball" rewards you. Some games you can flail away and never get rewarded (in terms of points). Dialed In is a great example...almost all the points are in the SIM card shot.
[quoted image]

In the words of the great noobnoob...."Gaaawd Damn!"

#12874 2 years ago
Quoted from db666:

Small bug I noticed I think epthegeek - I started Whirly Dirly and Gromflomite Multiball at the scoop at the same time. Shot 2 loops so right ramp was lit purple for the kill shot but while right ramp was lit both sides of the U turn were still lit purple as well (just the u turn was still lit, not the other loops).

Similar to this, there are times when I start Whirly Dirly (w/o MB) and the u-turn shots are not lit and do not progress the mode shots. This last time I saw this, after completed the mode, the u-turn then lit up both purple inserts (while in between modes). Shooting them didn't count for anything.

#12876 2 years ago
Quoted from fnord:

The ship shots don't light up for Whirly if you have a lock lit or a ball in the lock. I think Whirly wants loop shots which the ship isn't if locks are involved.

Ah, good to know. Although, I am pretty sure I did not have any balls locked. Even so it wouldn't explain them lighting up after the mode completed.

#12905 2 years ago
Quoted from marspinball:

Anyone have any issues installing the mantis garage protector? It won't slide into place. It's just a hair too large. I don't want to damage the clear and don't want to use any more force than necessary.
Any suggestions?

Stick it in the freezer for a bit and try to install it quickly?

#12910 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

So I saw someone say there's a 5 ball MB? I have not seen that yet? Is that true? How does it reload the portal?

It reloads itself next time you shoot the portal.

#12934 2 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

No, literally when MB started the flippers started auto flipping

Is this while holding the flippers up they flutter, or are you saying you have your hands off the flipper buttons and the bats go up and down by themselves? I see the former, not the latter.

#12997 2 years ago
Quoted from Exgametrader:

Definitely have the match turned on and it goes through the match sequence but never seems to actually match and give out any free games

On free play at least, matches do happen and the awarded game callouts are played. I wonder if matching breaks when switched off free play? Pretty sure there's an audit for how many matched free games have been given.

#13186 2 years ago

I enjoyed Bowen's video. Does anybody know if those rule "cards" (used as video overlays) are posted somewhere?

#13225 2 years ago

epthegeek - Is disabling anti-gravity when the right flipper in use (and the launch lane switch too, I think) intentional?

#13229 2 years ago
Quoted from bitternerd:

yes- intentional. i think it was too much for the fuse or something. posted several months ago.

Ah, thanks. I see it now in the 2020.08.10 code release notes.

Dang, this messes me up in MB, more than I would like to admit.

#13419 2 years ago
Quoted from klr650:

Question: Could a person weld the current diverter components together as well or would it be too weak or maybe the two metals are not the same?? So far haven't had issues with my diverter but I would definitely consider it.

Possible to move the bend over portion to the other side of the post, tap new threads in the post through holes and use new screws from the backside?

It isn't clear to me what specific issue this attempts to fix.

#13436 2 years ago

Is the flippergate page new (link at the bottom of the code page)? https://soldmy.org/pin/rm/rm_flippers.html

There are a lot of good technical details documented.

#13448 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

One thing I haven't gotten around to doing is measuring the ACTUAL Stern Spike duty cycle for their flipper coil holds in real time. It seems like there HAS to be something special going on there because the heat build when holding is SO MUCH less on Spike than SAM or Whitestar Stern systems. I think there's some know-how left there for Spooky to mine.

Yeah, hooking up my scope to some spike coils is on my todo list.

#13451 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Some multimeters have a duty cycle measurement setting, too.

Sure, but that doesn't mean you are getting the right info. I think it will be important to see the waveforms. We are sliding back into alt.flipper.nerd. We really need a dedicated technical thread for this topic, or feel free to continue via PM.

1 week later
#13756 2 years ago

That reminds me.... for those with 3D printers, I finally uploaded my launch fix to thingiverse. It's an alternative to the updated wireform.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aw-jeez-official-rick-and-morty-club/page/247#post-6223596
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4865438

My first test piece has held up just fine after hundreds of launches. I'll take some videos and create a new thread. I found some purple sparkly filament that as an added bonus glows in the dark haha.

#13844 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

What are you using for filament? Maybe using some Ninjaflex so the part is a little spongy would absorb impacts instead of cracking/breaking.

I was going to suggest along the same lines; try TPU filament. You may not find the exact color you want, but it will never crack. Generic TPU is cheaper and easier to print than ninjaflex. If I get a chance to play around with it, I have some black TPU to try out.

1 month later
#15068 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

For like 15 cents of filament, this made sure my shooter wireform had zero issues. I understand why some would rather have a new wireform sold by pinball life. But at least try this first to see if you actually need it. I am surprised there aren’t more positive reviews of this simple mod.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4865438

Thanks for the positive feedback. I still have a video to post and will add it to my store. I have a full spool of purple sparkle ready to go.

#15072 2 years ago

Can you post a photo of what it looks like installed?

The purple isn't a perfect match, but it does glow in the dark!

1626502529171513097450336459859 (resized).jpg1626502529171513097450336459859 (resized).jpg
#15094 2 years ago
Quoted from XatchieS:

We did anti rattle tape first, then we added zip tie. Then we put foam between hinge brackets and siderails as there seemed to be very few screws holding side rails tightened.

Tap on the glass with your finger and find where the glass rattles. Then address those specific areas. For me, the wire wrap/fuzzy/anti-rattle tape at along the ends of the glass, plus 3 trimmed zip-tie ends under the glass channel each side completely eliminated any possible rattle for me. I like it so much, all my games now get this same treatment.

#15104 2 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

So, why couldn’t it be an option? Those other people can just not turn the option on. And it wasn't just "after x," it was if no switch has been triggered in so long, as well. Like I said, at some point it's pretty obvious that the ball must be trapped.
This is like when my ideas for WOZ were dismissed out of hand all over again. Dunno why I bother. Meanwhile, if I came up with some pricey hardware solution, I'd be a hero.

Man, you should let this go. You said your piece. Brow beating someone with your opinion over and over again won't change any minds. If you really can't find peace with this (like with something in the past on WOZ??) I suggest you write your own flipper code, validate it on a PROC test rig, take measurements and submit your solution to Spooky tech support.

My unsolicited opinion is that as the control code sits today, flipper behavior is as good as it ever has been. There may be coil heat built up as a trade off. Fans have proven to be an effective mitigation. It may not be perfect, but I am perfectly happy. If each owner would get a vote, I would say; leave the flippers alone and use every last second of remaining coding time on adding more game content and squashing the last few bugs.

2 weeks later
#15337 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

And if you ‘clear’ all the mega seeds in a dimension and then jump to another one without going ‘home’ you get +1 (so 6 or 4)

Neat! Is that for the rest of the game, current ball, or just that next dimension only?

1 week later
#15610 2 years ago

I am really happy to try this new option! Thanks for this.

Added: New setting to allow Antigravity while right flipper is on (may need larger fuse - use at own risk)

When Erik confirmed this was disabled due to over power consumption and popped fuses, I looked through the PROC datasheet and couldn't find it listed what the fuse value was for the driver board. It seems it is left up to the end application to decide what is needed to protect the components. From the PD16 datasheet: "Users should make sure to use a fuse with the proper current rating for their application"

@gstellenberg, can you comment on what the max current rating is for bankA of the PD16?

#15629 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

FYI - I added that setting at Scott's request. I don't know what size fuse he'd recommend, or if he's even comfortable telling other people what size he would recommend.

Yep exactly why I asked Gerry's to chime in on what the driver board can take. I am comfortable incrementing fuse values up to that number. Without extensive testing, I wouldn't expect Spooky to give any suggestion on this. I am just really happy that this option was added to experiment with.

#15631 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I'm pretty sure what the board 'can take' is much higher than would be recommended or needed in this use case. I'm also pretty sure we shouldn't bother Gerry with something a Spooky game is doing with his hardware.

Yeah it's a general question on capabilities of the PROC board, not Spooky related. Fair to say that the question should be asked directly an not necessarily in this thread's context. I am being sloppy with my terms to keep things from getting overly technical. I am comfortable in evaluating such things, but always easier to get the info straight from the vendor.

#15638 2 years ago

Oh! I totally skipped over this part of the release notes. I misread it as some kind of callout update;

Fixed: "my balls are stuck in the scoop, Morty!" is FIXED! HOORAY!

epthegeek Is this the ever allusive scoop no-op during MB issue?? That's fantastic!

#15644 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Yeah. The issue where the balls would go into the scoop and not eject and ball search wouldn’t happen. In the end, it was an issue that would occur if you completed the targets to light mystery during the awarding of a mystery, which is a very short window during multiball because it happens quickly, but it exists. Once I realized where it was going wrong, it was a simple fix. The game stacks mystery awards now, if you light a new one while the other one is happening.

Excellent. Well done tracking that down.

Is the loss of callout bug still floating around?

1 week later
#15780 2 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

I am really happy to try this new option! Thanks for this.
Added: New setting to allow Antigravity while right flipper is on (may need larger fuse - use at own risk)/blockquote>

epthegeek I finally got a chance to try this out and the setting doesn't seem to change anything. With it set to "enable" the right flipper still blocks the magnet use. I did a power cycle in case the change wasn't picked up, but still no dice.

4 months later
#16693 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Just hasn't been enough else changed to warrant updating so far.

Is it too late to consider polishing a couple small audio rough spots?
1) in the schwifty adventure, when you fail; at some point after the call out "DISQUALIFIED" the audio level drops.
2) In Scary Terry, when you get the call out "He sure says Bitch a lot" you can hear Terry start to say something right at the end of the clip. That just needs like 1/4 second trimmed off.
Really nit picky stuff

Also, I have been meaning to ask; when you have a slam save, what happens when you spell s-l-a-m again? It doesn't stack another save and it doesn't seem to add points unless I missed it. Maybe each time it's spelled it could extend the length of the slam save grace period or something else beneficial? I like TNA's lane save rule that allows stacking of the ball saves with multiple lane completions. But for R&M I do think stacking slam saves would a bit game breaking.

#16703 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

When you complete "SLAM" it add a slam bonus hit to the pop bumper, indicated by a colored flashing light, with a matching color wave outward when you actually hit it. If you spell slam a second time, without hitting the pop, the value goes up and the light changes color. There are five levels of this. The scoring is exponential, so it gets big - and it ups the value of the actual slam save.

Got it. Thanks for the explanation.

#16731 2 years ago
Quoted from Jigz:

Pickle Rick: This mode is unique among the implemented modes so far because unlike the other Adventures, it can only be started at the garage; both shots that lead to the garage will begin flashing purple when this mode is qualified instead of the center scoop and Rick will begin telling you to come to the Garage. Landing the shot in the Garage to start the mode will actually hold the ball (instead of the usual instant left inlane scoop eject) so you can relax and watch the intro, where out of pure incompetence and a desire to brag, Rick turned himself into a pickle, Morty! He’s Pickle Rick! Advance through the life cycle of this scientific monstrosity by first hitting the bumper or slingshot enough times to get off the ground, then shoot the scoop. You’ll then be tasked to shoot targets to kill rats with your upgraded weapons and armor. Killing enough rats will then light the scoop to start the final timed phase, where shooting ramps and loops will kill goons at the consulate. Killing enough of the goons will light the scoop for one last shot to finish the mode. This is very difficult to accomplish, good luck!

*Can be started at the scoop if you light mystery before starting the mode.

8 months later
#18497 1 year ago

Wow....what a month for me to ignore this thread. Holy cow. What a nice surprise. Eric thank you. The extra work is very generous. Just in case it's not too late to submit more dimension ideas;

Joke's On You / April Fools dimension -

The scoop is always lit, but can only award mystery when in this dimension (no MB or mode progression allowed). BUT it will only select one of the many joke awards. Extra points if the thing described actually happens. Otherwise, maybe a laugh track (or if there was a clip of Rick laughing?) and a giant April Fools! splash display.

#18580 1 year ago
Quoted from orlandu81:

Thanks for your input, but I don’t think you had the same screen. Nothing loads, the machine doesn’t recognize the USB stick in this case. For shits and giggles I’ll try an older version but as a few have said, since the home isn’t mounting, I think I need a new full image. I've had the little error screens in the past but never this one.
Edit: Scratch that, the older codes aren't available anymore I'll wait until Tuesday. Unless someone has backed up their software with a full image and wants to share? I feel like I should be doing this every once in a while now that this has happened. I've never seen this issue before, even being part of the beta I was installing updates every other day without issue.

I think it would be worth a shot to try a disk repair USB. There are bootable Linux images that people have collected an assortment of disk tools. I'll have to dig to find which ones I have used if you need a suggestion. If you are already expecting to have to replace the HDD anyway, I can't see why it would hurt. If my game wasn't packed away at the moment, I would try to get you an image of my drive.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 25.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.00
Trade
$ 75.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, FL
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 60.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinhead mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 34.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
La Porte, IN
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aw-jeez-official-rick-and-morty-club?tu=robf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.