(Topic ID: 257850)

Official Rick and Morty Club - You are not like other carbon based life forms.

By TheNoTrashCougar

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20,228 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by jonesjb
  • Topic is favorited by 333 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6381 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3963 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3962 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3961 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3960 (resized).jpeg
RAM ALT Translite 2022.3.19 (resized).jpg
IMG_3481 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_6211325_0 (resized).png
IMG_1914 (resized).jpeg
RAM L Loop Guard fail2b 2024.3.24 (resized).jpg
b5f006fa-9417-42d1-8730-250ad8488fb6.__CR0,0,1080,1080_PT0_SX300_V1___ (resized).jpg
P3230229 (resized).JPG
P3230228 (resized).JPG
rm-bcm (resized).jpg
20240213_184156 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

106 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #256 Rules posted by Eric as of Feb 2020 Posted by epthegeek (4 years ago)

Post #510 R&M Options Posted by Morinack (4 years ago)

Post #589 Useful post for coin door comparison. Posted by NeilMcRae (4 years ago)

Post #637 More code rules - Adventures full lost Posted by epthegeek (4 years ago)

Post #745 Club thread reminder. Posted by TigerLaw (4 years ago)

Post #748 Cards for the game rules and what not. Posted by Coindropper (4 years ago)

Post #751 Darker outline for instruction cards. Posted by Coindropper (4 years ago)

Post #976 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Wireform ball launch and coil adjustment Posted by timmmmyboy (4 years ago)

Post #1006 TECH:Pitch recommendation from Scott. Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

458 posts in this topic match your search for posts by pinmonk. You are on page 1 of 2.
#3155 3 years ago
Quoted from Spiderpin:

vireland sales them too.
https://www.pinmonk.com/cms/
I'll be getting one, before my build is ready.

Quoted from Calfdemon:

It was one of the best things I did with my ACNC. It went from aircraft takeoff to silent. Pinmonk sells a very easy install kit for Spooky... Scroll down:
https://www.pinmonk.com/cms/index.php/pinballaccessories

Thanks for the recommendations. They can also be purchased through the pinside store here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1170-pin-monk/03720-600w-spooky-multimorphic-plug-n-play-quiet-fan-kit

Pinball Life also carries it, and Ministry of Pinball has all three Pin Monk quiet fan kits in Europe. They're a bit more expensive at MoP, but considering the expensive shipping from the US and time, cheaper for Europeans overall.

#3157 3 years ago
Quoted from tbutler6:

ACNC is not as loud as a SPIKE. Give it a bit and make your decision.

This isn't true. The stock fans are almost exactly the same dB rating. The Spike 1 (300W Meanwell) fan is 1.0 dB QUIETER than the Spooky, and the Spike 2 (500W meanwell) is an insignificant 0.1dB louder:

Spooky/Multimorphic SE-600-48 34.5dB

Stern SPV-300-48 33.5dB (Spike 1, larger fan)
Stern RSP-500-48 34.6dB (Spike 2, smaller fan)

...and the Spooky one is more annoying than either Spike fan because it doesn't have a thermal switch, so the Spooky one is ALWAYS ON. The Spike one only turns on when the power supply crosses a temperature threshold, then turns off again when it's normalized. The PITCH of the two is slightly different due to the fact that the Spooky one is much larger and the most common 500W Spike power supply fan is tiny, but the amount of noise they produce, measured in decibels, is almost the same, and all three are WAY TOO LOUD as they come from the factory.

#3254 3 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Nice little highlight from Bowen's stream last night: https://clips.twitch.tv/ClumsyHumbleSangHoneyBadger
Full thing available too - https://www.twitch.tv/videos/641526390

Recognizing the death save is a nice resurrected feature from Data East games. Will they be allowed in tournaments now?

That lower left pop by the flipper isn't very active at all. Does it turn off and on in code or something? WAY less action than a sling in this video.

#3256 3 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I doubt death saves will ever be allowed in tournaments. You can do what you like in the home but it’s cheating in competition.

It's cheating even when the game is coded to recognize it? It's literally IN the game's rules. Cheating is generally accepted as meaning operating outside the rules.

And that leads me to...is there a Rick and Morty Death Save champion board for most Death Saves per game?

#3267 3 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

The game is also coded to let you restart by holding the start button after ball 1, but that’s not allowed in tournaments either. Your logic here is odd.
The death save thing is just for fun, because it seemed so ‘on brand’.

That's clearly different because by doing that you're ending your game and starting another. Death Save is coded to remain within the bounds of the game.

What's the deal with the lethargic pop bumper, though? I was excited to see something NEW being tried, but it looks like a dud. Very little ball action off it from the stream.

#3268 3 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

No. Just an Easter egg. Would ya’ll quit making me regret having fun? Sheesh.

A death save champion board would be even more fun. We're trying to help you.

#3270 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Didn’t see the stream but my pop bumper is more lethal then lethargic. Love it with a hate at times. Very creative.

I'd like to see a more active one on the next stream then. I was disappointed with what I saw of it on the 10 minutes of stream I watched. Good to hear it was an anomaly.

#3273 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

There are times when the pop is programmed to NOT fire. Are you sure it was not just that?

That's what I was originally asking because it seemed like it was dead, as if it were programmed to not kick.

#3274 3 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

10 whole minutes of one stream, huh?
Yeah, you should totally be giving the designers and programmers your notes.

You seem confused by the concept of a question. Because I was CLEARLY ASKING if the pop bumper was turned on and off by code because it seemed dead. For your reference:

"That lower left pop by the flipper isn't very active at all. Does it turn off and on in code or something?"

That's not a programmer note. In the english language, we generally accept that classic format as a question.

#3276 3 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Go to around 12 mins 50 odd seconds - ball hits pop and goes straight into the horseshoe.
Seems to have plenty of kick.

Thanks for the answer to my question. There's also a kick straight through the flippers with a ball save in that section.

#3290 3 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I don't think guitarded is confused by what a question is, it looks like the chain he was replying to is where you state:
"What's the deal with the lethargic pop bumper, though? I was excited to see something NEW being tried, but it looks like a dud. Very little ball action off it from the stream?"
In this sentence, you attribute that the lethargic nature of he pop bumper to it being new.

Well, if you completely ignore the very clear question that came before that, I guess that works.

2 weeks later
#4005 3 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Does swapping the stock fan with the Pin Monk Add on fan cause any warranty issues?

Well, you are changing a part, with a better part that is higher quality and draws less amps so it causes less stress on the power supply (fractionally). That's good. However, if you screw up the installation, you're not covered, no. But it's not going to affect anything else in the machine. Have an issue and Charlie wants to come to your house personally to inspect it? Swap the fan back first - and insist he wears a mask, too.

That said, there have been 0 installation failures after hundreds of fans installed on Spooky and Spike machines. The illustrated instructions are quite thorough.

#4006 3 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

BTW all, after watching Zach stream (which was awesome also) - damn am I glad I bought the pinmonk quiet fan already! It was like a free advertisement for the quiet fan when he flicked the switch to ON.

Haha! He didn't initially get the joke when I asked if someone started vacuuming at the 13 minute mark. He has a fan for it now.

#4088 3 years ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

Pickle Rick and Pin Stadiums!!
[quoted image][quoted image]

I'll take "without pinstadiums" for 100, alex.

I agree that a few spotlights is all this needs. Pinstadiums completely ruin the look.

without-pinstadiums (resized).jpgwithout-pinstadiums (resized).jpg

#4117 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Sure. I didn't drill any holes or make any major changes but here's what I did:
Set game pitch to 7.2 degrees.
Increased lower left flipper strength to 35
Increased lower right flipper to 40
Increased upper right flipper to 25
Reduced shooter lane coil to 12
Added 2 thin washers to front of scoop, 1 thin washer to each side to lower it and prevent bounce outs. I also pushed the scoop hood down a tad with my hand.
Added a couple drops of super lube to the spinner.
On the guide by the upper right flipper I tapped it slightly to the right (closer to flipper) and the screw point behind that i tapped it slightly under the wood rail. I was still able to use the original screw holes but this helped both the upper right feed and opened up that orbit slightly.
At the back of the game by the rear diverter I tapped that rail slightly closer to the diverter pin. Still using the original screw hole.
I added a piece of beer seal foam to the right ramp exit. Due to the pitch and speed of the game I was getting some balls that would walk over the outlane. The foam stops this and makes for a cleaner exit.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

On the end of that ramp, a piece of clear petg cut to shape over the top would look a lot better.

#4121 3 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

Is anyone else getting the odd machine reboot? if it's just me then it's definitely a problem with my machine ( obviously ) although I haven't been able to find a cause so far ( with Luke and Eric's help ). It's not a regular occurrence, 5 times in 2 weeks and about 200 plays but once is too many as the machine can't be replied upon for a comp.

If no one else is having issues to indicate it may be a software problem, I'd check the output from your power supply in the bottom of the cabinet to make sure it's outputting at least 48v, if it's low, that can cause reboots when the machine has a lot going on. There's a pot where you can turn the output up if it's low.

#4126 3 years ago
Quoted from KingofGames:

Maybe a stupid question.
Will i have a probleem with the power suply in europe? Since we use 220 volt instead of 110.

Spooky uses a Meanwell SE-600-48 power supply, which has a switch for 230 or 115. The pinball machine only uses 48V, which the power supply outputs regardless of which power system is input, so you're fine. It will work in Europe as well as long as the switch on the outside of the power supply is set to 230V (which I assume Spooky is doing at the factory for European games).

1 week later
#4285 3 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

This fan works very well and is quiet
amazon.com link »
I am also waiting for a set of mirror blades for this game.

That fan is a bit better than the stock one, which is 34.5dB, but it's not all that quiet with a 20dB sound rating. It also doesn't have the right connector and requires and a 3-2 adapter or splicing/soldering, depending on which way you go. Not much improvement for too much work.

#4290 3 years ago
Quoted from CKrueger:

Whaaaat? 20dBa is pretty damn quiet for a 60mm fan!

The Pinmonk fan kit for spooky is 10.7dB, with better airflow compared to that one, plus the right connector. 20dB is *okay*, but if you're trying to reduce the noise, why only go partway?

#4294 3 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Not trying to take any business away from you, just letting others know that there are other options, and that it works quite well where you only have to splice 2 wires together. It's a very quiet fan, and hardly noticeable. I have one in my TNA as well (where the how-to originated from) and it works perfectly.
If people want a PnP kit, then I'm sure they will still happily buy your kit. If they dont mind doing a bit of extra work, then they have another option. It's all good.

If people want to DIY and splice connectors, etc, that's great too, I made a whole thread showing exactly how to do it for the spike machines with part numbers and everything that eventually turned into me selling premade kits, but I didn't erase the DIY info to push people into the plug and play kits. I'm all for DIY for the people that want that.

My point is, if you're going to DIY, get the best fan to DIY with. 20dB is not a great choice for Spooky machines, there are better fans at 17db, 13db, etc.

#4297 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

How much is the plug and play option?
Link?

The plug n play kit is $17.50.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1170-pin-monk/03720-600w-spooky-multimorphic-plug-n-play-quiet-fan-kit

You can also get it from pinballlife.com if you have something else to order to save on/combine shipping as they carry all the Pinmonk fans and select other things like the 3D anubis for Iron Maiden.

Or, Pinmonk.com for international orders since I can't do them through pinside.

#4312 3 years ago
Quoted from Groo:

Blew out the pop bumper! Does the brown plastic go on coil side and can it go opposite way of the metal arrow? Only way we can put it back in without taking it all out. 3 washers per side and a nut for each pole. [quoted image]

May just be optical distortion, but it looks like the metal yoke that goes against is bent in the background, too.

#4315 3 years ago
Quoted from Groo:

Yes that is an optical illusion it’s not bent but it is curved like the piece in my hand it’s just made of metal. The markings on the plastic bracket show where the washers were so I’m pretty sure I know how to put it back together.

Here's a diagram from B/W.

pop-bumper-diagram (resized).jpgpop-bumper-diagram (resized).jpg
#4323 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Is that partacrylic or polycarbonate?

It seems like it snapped like acrylic. I'd think they should be using PET-G on all the plastics in the game for its durability. Learned that lesson making the Shadow Plastic Supersets...

#4347 3 years ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

...it IS made of the proper material.

Those are made of PET-G? That's wild, I've never seen it break like that, even from repeated ball hits (like falling down from The Battlefield on The Shadow).

#4350 3 years ago
Quoted from Morinack:

Queue Cliffy conversation.

I'm not sure how a cliffy would help this problem...

#4353 3 years ago
Quoted from Morinack:

While I agree, the guy is pretty darned creative.
That said it was a nod to all the PETG I've replaced/repaired over the years.
Anything hammered with a pinball leaving the PF is gonna suffer.
Having played a R&M I've been amazed at the speed of the ball travel, that more damage is not being seen out there.
Yep this one is a fluke but as far as the ball is concerned that elevated ship is "Target acquired!"

Oh, I agree. I'm Cliff's #1 cheerleader. The guy is awesome.

I was just confused about how a cliffy was going to help with this specific area.

#4393 3 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Unboxing and setting up No. 115 now with the help of Megatron.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

That doesn't look like the Megatron I know of...

megatron (resized).jpgmegatron (resized).jpg
#4461 3 years ago
Quoted from TheGunnett:

I got the Mondo figures secured, mounted, illuminated and altered the factory topper. I’ve got a BOM of $130, so I guess the street price of topper like this is $600.

The neat trick would be to put a small motor in the body of Morty's back to change expressions based on the game by rotating the motor to turn the head 180 degrees at a time, alternating expressions.

#4464 3 years ago

Inflation accounts for the difference.

2 weeks later
#4887 3 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I'd still rather pay extra to have it changed officially at the factory...

The crazy thing is, in the volume Spooky buys, they should be able to get it from Meanwell with the better fan for little or no change in cost just by asking and ordering enough at once. Even moreso with Stern. But honestly, I have no idea why Spooky uses this power supply in the first place. It has a MUCH lower thermal throttle point (104 degrees) than the 500W Stern one (122 degrees) and the fan runs all the time rather than coming on when it's needed. I can't imagine they need 100w more power, especially because they have that side power supply ALSO for the accessories.

Shrug. I'd be thrilled if Spooky got the change made at meanwell for their next bulk power supply order. I doubt that'll ever happen at Stern.

2 weeks later
#5181 3 years ago
Quoted from ripple:

I think the flexing piece of plastic is going to need an upgrade or redesign to work long term.
[quoted image]

Should have a ramp flap spring steel joint, or have an actual mini hinge with a spring on it.

Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

I never kiss and tell.

Lipstick. Got it.

#5219 3 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Hmmm... I'd be careful what you wish for. I agree it needs a more permanent solution but a traditional metal hinge will be ugly up there with all the lighting around it. It's in a very visible spot.
What would be the most aesthetically pleasing fix I wonder?

You can do it with a spring steel flap (that would probably break from the constant flexing, too, eventually or a nylon hinge with a E clip and spring on the back end. Should look fine. Either would be much more durable than what's there now.

#5221 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Or just use a more appropriate plastic, one of the several available not prone to cracking as the current material obviously does. This has been covered before. The material is obviously not entirely suitable for the job it is asked to do. It isn't SpaceX science

Even PETG will eventually crack and probably break if being bent slightly over and over and over as it appears that does (I don't have one to verify the action or how far it's being bent when activated). A springloaded joint seems like the best long-term solution.

#5223 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

It is made of PeT-G currently as far as I am aware. That is the problem. It should be a material resistant to cracking/brittleness which PeT-G is Not!. Use better polymer, no problem
Lexan or Polycarbonate can Fold In Half and Not Break. It will Strech yield under extreme strain rather than crack or break.This is why they don't skimp out for Nascar Windscreens.... Lexan will not so easily permit entry of stray wheels or other debris. It's your Life man! . No skimping!
**Squanching still okay

I don't know what they're using, but it looks like plain acrylic to me.

Polycarbonate is strong for impact resistance, but is not suitable over time for repetitive bending. It WILL stress crack from repetitive minor bending. Potential cleaning products used in/around the playfield will accelerate that. Also, the thicker the piece, the more likely the stress cracks over time. Pretty sure there's a better answer for that area that doesn't involve any plastic piece.

#5365 3 years ago
Quoted from Izzy24:

The red on one speaker isn’t working. I checked all the connections. Anyone else run into this?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks like the red lead for the RGB led strip isn't connected. Red is wrong as is the white one that looks blue on the left because the red mix is missing. Look at the wiring carefully to the left speaker. Try wiggling along the wire up to where it connects to the RGB LED strip in the speaker and see if it comes back intermittently.

#5386 3 years ago
Quoted from Izzy24:

Thanks! I traced and jiggled the wire. I can’t even get the red light to intermittently turn on.

Do you have a multimeter to see if the led strip is getting power where the wires connect to it on the red wire? If it is getting power (check it against the G and B wires to make sure the measurement method is good) then likely bad LED strip. If it's NOT getting power, then the problem is somewhere earlier in the power path to that board.

#5391 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

#162 butter cab ships 8/31 for 9/2 delivery!
Hooray, everyone can stop hearing me bitch about numbers!

But are you a very good driver?

#5393 3 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Spotlight pics and a short video. On the left side, I used existing hardware. On the right side, I had an extra 1/2" spacer and mounted it to the middle screw on the slingshot. The pic of the game lit up was during boot. I tried to play the second ball one handed in the vid at the end lol.

I would use the little LED spotlights Stern has been using lately. Almost no bulk and very bright. You could easily hide them in some 3D printed crap to keep the visual continuity.

#5394 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I'm an excellent driver.

But only on the driveway.

#5397 3 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeBar:

What are these lil Leds you speak of, haven’t seen them in any ‘19 games? And I can’t wait to goto the 3D crap shop!

The little spotlights that you can barely see on games like Deadpool Prem/LE that highlight the figurines. Stern manuals probably have the part numbers...

Here's one from the right side of deadpool.
deadpool-mini-spotlight (resized).jpgdeadpool-mini-spotlight (resized).jpg

#5403 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Id like to order some of these!
Do you have a link or part number?

They're in the Deadpool manual. I don't think the actual light is broken out. If I remember right they list it as an assembly with the light and bracket and maybe a trim ring or something?

They're nothing super-special now, though. You can find similar (same?) super bright LED directional lights on Alibaba if you look around.

#5439 3 years ago
Quoted from BillyPilgrim:

I’m hoping someone has a quick fix idea? Went to play the game last night and it does this every time on start up:
[quoted image]

Looks like a dead button battery on your motherboard.

#5441 3 years ago

Yikes. Plugged in the USB and still just get that screen. I guess I’m off to email Spooky.

Did you try plugging in a USB keyboard? Does it recognize it so you can hit the function key to bypass the error?

If you have a CR2032 laying around you can try replacing that then bypassing the error to see if that gets you back in business.

If the USB doesn't recognize the keyboard (because it's bad?) you can use the USB header pins on the motherboard (for external USB port connections) to connect a computer case usb outlet, too.

ASROCK-J4105-ITX-battery (resized).jpgASROCK-J4105-ITX-battery (resized).jpg

#5446 3 years ago

I don’t have a keyboard, I’ll have to order one off Amazon or something. I think I do have an extra battery somewhere, I’ll see if I can dig it up. Thanks!

Since we're past the support dead zone of the weekend. I'd call Spooky first to make sure it isn't some other issue before you order a usb keyboard. If you were close I'd just give you one. I have stacks of them from various computers over the years...

#5453 3 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

funny enough, I do tech support on the weekends, and after hours for all the games I sell (and even some that I don't).
game is up and running now.

That's great. What was the solution (for posterity)?

#5457 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

He said change battery

He actually said that AND he sent over a file on what to set to get it back running right. I was mostly interested in the second part - the settings to get it running after the battery was changed - for posterity.

#5460 3 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

its just a pdf for the settings to get everything to boot up again.
[quoted image]

This is great information to have in this thread for late night issues that may crop up when no one's around to help. I keyposted it.

#5463 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

To assist I will post KingPinChris's Home phone number for late night support. He will Love it!

Party line!

#5541 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Has anyone noticed the left flipper sticking up, then recovering once you flip it again?
Things I’ve checked:
- Button is not binding
- Leaf switch is properly gapped
- Flipper travel does not bind when manually manipulated
I don’t know what else to check at this point, that seems to cover all of the physical aspects of the flipper.

Coil Stop (post) loose or busted. It'd be surprised if that wasn't it. Classic sign. Fortunately you can have the coil stop off to inspect and replace if necessary in less than 5 minutes. Very easy.

#5543 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Interesting, when I had a coil stop blow on Jurassic Park it manifested as a flipper that would drop when a ball hit it. I’ll check it out though as well as the sleeve. Thanks!
PS - Planning to install your silent fan kit tomorrow.

Intermittently sticking up that you can knock down with your hand or more flips (vibration) is almost always a coil stop in my experience. MAAAAAYBE not enough vertical clearance between the flipper bushing and the shaft (if you pull up on the flipper do you get some movement?). But more likely coil stop IMO.

Good luck on the fan install. We haven't lost anyone yet. The improvement in sound levels is pretty immense.

#5547 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I read in one of the flipper troubleshooters to kill power if the flipper sticks up.
If it stays up, it’s physical. If it drops, it’s electrical.
It dropped.
Would this point to a transistor or software issue in that case? (BTW still going to check the stop tomorrow.)

Ah, in that case, sounds like maybe the EOS switch is sticking, so the "hold" power is engaged on the flipper (not the stronger flip power). When it's stuck up, go into switch test and see if that flipper's EOS switch is stuck.

#5553 3 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Older games use the EOS to cut off the "main" power and switch to the 'hold' power. We can't do that because; reasons.

Wow, what a waste. Is that a limitation of the hardware platform? Are there plans for the firmware to be updated to allow the EOS it to be used as intended in a more robust way?

#5627 3 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Kind of. Dave could probably separate the two, but I wouldn't want completely-wrecked R&M to
be the ones you always see when locking balls.

Yeah, the facial expressions are a problem.

rickandmorty-ball.gifrickandmorty-ball.gif
#5632 3 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Kind of. Dave could probably separate the two, but I wouldn't want completely-wrecked R&M to be the ones you always see when locking balls.

Maybe the long and short golf game shots in the kitchen in the meeseeks episode? Tomato, ball 1. Onion, ball 2 lock. Meeseeks even says "nice" on the onion shot.

Golf-long-game.gifGolf-long-game.gifGolf-short-game.gifGolf-short-game.gif
#5670 3 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Possibly - but you’d need a particularly wide shot of the car to be able to have something to pan from.

The animation is so simple, you could basically cut the car and them out of a closeup and paste it into a wide shot empty background of something else. Yes it would be a lot of work, but the raw materials are there.

#5692 3 years ago
Quoted from sleepygtr:

Is the quiet fan upgrade gaining any traction? Really excited, but patient

Meanwell will do it (I asked them about it on Spike and Spooky machines specifically), but Spooky has to ask and commit to buying X amount of fans from them to get the Meanwell ones stock with a quiet fans pre-installed after an engineering review. From a prior conversation I had with Charlie when I first started looking into finding a solution for the terrible Spooky power supply fans, I wouldn't say he was excited about the idea. However, ANYONE that has heard the difference is likely very excited to have the vacuum cleaner in the cabinet turned off.

So, unless you hear otherwise, I would say don't hold your breath. (But I really hope they do offer that upgrade one day, or change to a better power supply with a thermal switch for the fan so it doesn't run all the time)

#5729 3 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

I don't still have 8.26, but here's a hot fresh 9.11 build

Tempting fate with a Friday code release?

#5796 3 years ago

Does Rick and Morty still use the small power supply to the left of the main cabinet power supply for auxillary 5v/12v power? Going to be making the coil cooling kits available for Spooky pins, but need to know if the power setup for the latest one, Rick and Morty, is still the same as it was for Rob Zombie so I can make some Spooky-specific harnesses.

#5917 3 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Question for owners who have recieved thier game.
Is the topper well built enough, to withstand, being moved in an open truck? I'm talking moderate freeway speeds.
If not, is it removable?
Thanks!
Question from the Freeeek Kingdom.

You mean with the head down?

#5992 3 years ago
Quoted from Hijacked:

Mine is also the limited NZ version

Wait---so the portal topper spins backwards down under? That Spooky attention to detail...

#6163 3 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Spooky (me, in this case) has been trying like hell to "catch it" but so far I can't get my machine have this issue. I'm trying.
Nothing much about these reports is consistent. Nobody has come up with "here's how to reliably re-create the problem".
I'm doing my best here.

Has it even been established if it's truly locked up or simply busy in an endless loop?

#6188 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Obsessed:

GNR coming out Monday (possibly ready to ship) others already unboxing other new games. I really wish I had could have my Rick and Morty already.

Why suffer? You only paid a deposit on your R&M, so use the rest to buy a jjGnR, enjoy it for 3-6 months and sell it before you have to pay for the rest of your R&M. Problem solved.

#6194 3 years ago

Ha ha, I’m not suffering. I should have RM end of this month to mid November.
I probably will buy a GNR on Monday if it’s as good as all the hype.

Oh, in that case you have my permission to wait. I thought you were way out on the list.

1 week later
#6494 3 years ago

I have the coil cooling kits modified for Spooky machines and pretty close to done using TNA, but I'd like to also have them tried on Rick and Morty.

EDIT: Have Spooky coil cooling kit testing slots full up now, thanks!

#6522 3 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

It ripped it right at the top front leg corner as it starts to taper up.
Leg protector's for those who are still waiting for thier games?

Not leg protectors. They need standoffs. I'm surprised spooky machines don't ship with them...

https://www.pinballlife.com/metal-cabinet-protectors-set-of-4.html

#6558 3 years ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

All of our games ship with protectors! Possibly confusion on what those are?

Weird, I can't wrap my head around how gonzo73 got a decal tear from the leg then, UNLESS it's like Dialed In where the top detail groove on the leg curved like 1mm too far back toward the cabinet and overcame the standoff's spacing. On the one we had, it started puckering the decal, and I added a washer between the standoff and the back of the leg to give it just a little more space.

It would be nice to have pictures/confirmation of how the decal tear from the leg happened...

#6561 3 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Just got word from Spooky that #234 was loaded on truck yesterday!

Well, drinking IS kind of on-point for the theme, so...expected.

#6589 3 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Ok, pics I got vinyl pinching in all four corners and a rip in front right corner.
The game is so great, I dont care.

Ah, they didn't cut the decal around the standoff so when it shifts a little it's bunching the decal and eventually digging through it. Maybe Spooky would want to do a running change for R&M from here on so the decal is cut short around the standoff area so it doesn't actually touch the metal standoff at all (which is what Stern and JJP do) to prevent this.

#6604 3 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Had this on another game and from memory cut around metal standoffs.....is that the way to do it on any game with this issue?

After the fact, yes. But it would be better if the butter cabs or sticker art didn't run under the standoff.

#6658 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Not for me to judge.

Exactly. Leave that to me.

#6675 3 years ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

I definitely recommend putting some bally Williams style legs on your game if you haven’t received it yet. IMO there is definitely an issue with the legs R&M comes with. They have an odd taper that causes the cabinet to rest on the leg and damages the decals I swapped mine out to some old legs I had lying around and they do not make contact. I have only had my game about a week. I did email spooky bit haven’t heard back yet. I just figured if I could prevent one more decal from tearing then I did a good thing. I added a comparison to the B/W leg I had laying around.

Very similar to the issue I had on the back legs for Dialed In. I just put two nylon washers between the inside leg and the metal standoff and that moved it out enough to stop the contact with the cabinet. Short of a leg redesign, a thicker metal standoff would also take care of this.

#6755 3 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

It does seem counter intuitive to not set hold strength to high, but, after watching Karl's stream and seeing how easily he makes the left ramp and having a conversation with him about it I set mine to medium on his recommendation. The reason being keeping the coil temperature down keeps it's power up. Worked for me, I can definitely make more left ramps with hold strength set to medium.

Spooky flipper coil cooling kits are getting close to being done. As with the spike kit, they seem to solve coil fade completely, holding coil temps under 110F regardless of how hard you play, whereas without cooling they are 140F and up. I had to re-design them for Spooky machines (edited to clarify - this is not an official Spooky product!) due to the flipper placements, and it took a little more hardware, but the result is cooling roughly similar to the spike kit.

#6901 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

#236 has arrived.
I’m worried about the legs, put spacers and felt but the edges are still pressing on the decals like the legs are pinched in.
All my other pins I can slide a piece of paper between the legs and the decals but not on this pin the legs are on my leg guard but that’s still pressing on the decals.
[quoted image]

I'd also put a nylon washer between the bolt and the leg so the bolts don't chew up the legs when you take then off or put them on again. SOP on pins I bring in with powdercoated legs. Stern has started adding thin metal washers there from Batman '66 SLE onward, which is nice.

#6920 3 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Hay,Vic,Whats up at 3 a.m??Can't sleep???

Bedtime is 2-3am PST/PDT when Asia day ends.

#6930 3 years ago
Quoted from lapean111:

Had a good stuck ball today. The sling/pop action is CRAZY on this game.
[quoted image]

Seems like a good place for Spooky to add a clear or purple mini-post in a running change to the line.

#6955 3 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Is it normal for the right flipper to barely have the strength to make the left ramp? I have the setting maxed at 49 and if I trap on the right and shoot the ramp, the ball will make it to the top maybe one out of three times, very annoying. I actually don't think the flipper strength setting has any effect, like I would expect a noticeable difference between 30 and 49, but too me it's feels the same?

Check your gap between the bottom of the flipper and the top of the white nylon flipper bushing poking through the playfield. If it's too tight that will rob power. There should be about the thickness of a credit card of vertical play.

If that has a gap so there's some play, REMOVE the flipper coil stop and inspect. Nothing should be loose on it. You sometimes can't tell if the flipper coil stop has broken without removing it, but it will cause what you describe, and sometimes the flipper will stick briefly in the up position, too.

#6959 3 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Thanks for the tips, I'll check the gap and coil stop (although I have no issues the the flipper sticking in the upper position).

A broken coil doesn't always cause occasional flipper stick but it will rob power, so you can still have a broken coil even if you're not seeing the occasional sticking.

#6961 3 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

When I checked the flipper mech I noticed that the EOS leaf was engaging way before the end of the flipper stroke and that was adding an additional pressure and (I'm assuming) robbing power. I adjusted the EOS so it engaged at the end of the stroke and the flipper seems to make the left ramp shot more consistently, even with the power lowered to 40. The only issue is now occasionally the flipper will stick in the up position?
I haven't checked the coil stop yet.

That sticking might be related to the EOS being too tightly adjusted which is a quirk related to the Spooky hardware somehow.

Or, it could be a broken coil stop.

#6982 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I felt like air was trying to escape too. It made me think if the cabinet had a few ports drilled it might have been fine.

Is the speaker on R&M an actual subwoofer and not just a woofer? If it is a sub then yeah, it would be the right thing to have an air port of 4" or so in the cabinet bottom or back.

#7155 3 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

Are there fuses in this pin? My left flipper and pop bumper don't work. All connections look good and I'm out of ideas.

Do they work in test mode?

Open the coin door, pull the white post on the inside left of the coin door frame and go into DIAG then Coil tests and test the individual coils.

If the coils work in test, you probably just need to regap the switch leaves to make them closer on your pop bumper and your left flipper button.

#7157 3 years ago

No, coil test was the first thing I tried. Switches register in switch test.

Forgot where I was and was giving you spike2 solutions. For Spooky, yes, there are fuses that control the coils on the board inside the backbox. 3A slo blow. If the board in the backbox looks like the one below, then it's the fuse at F2 on that board in the lower right area.

Spooky-cpu_board-close.jpgSpooky-cpu_board-close.jpg
#7159 3 years ago

Found it. Blown fuse in the upper board. I didn't notice the fuses behind their plastic protectors when I was looking earlier. Finally, I can play my first game!

Can you take a picture of the fuse you took out? I don't have a spooky machine, but the diagram doesn't specify if they're full size or the short ones like WPC'95/Houdini, etc. Spooky documentation leaves a lot to be desired.

#7163 3 years ago

It's hard to get a good pic. It's just a 5 x 20mm. Says T4AL 250V

Thanks!

That's 4A, not the 3A the board diagram says it should be. Was that fuse in the F2 spot?

Maybe Spooky started overfusing with 4A fuses in post RZ games to stop them from popping randomly when they were 3A as the diagram shows? There's quite a few posts about it in the Rob Zombie era.

According to the diagram, F1, F2 and F3 all should be 3A, so this 4A one is a surprise.

Also, for the record, this is an "L" ranked slo-blo fuse, which is middle of the ratings for time to blow (according to the IEC 60127-2 spec). H is faster slo-blo and E is even slower slo-blo. Fast blow fuses can have speed ratings, too.

So T is timed or slo-blow fuse type
4A is the amp rating
L is the blow speed within the fuse type (slo/fast blo)
250V is the voltage rating

Quoted from pinball_ric:

They're the small ones that are used in WPC95 games.

Are your Rick and Morty F1 to F3 fuses all 4A, too?

#7165 3 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

You posted a pic of the Pinheck board.
TNA, ACNC and R&M have PROC boards.
rd

Well, that would explain it, thanks. Rob Zombie is the last spooky I've had the backglass off of.

Where's the pic/diagram for that board? The P-ROC I see on multimorphic's site I don't see the fuses.

#7167 3 years ago
Quoted from pinball_ric:

The fuse ratings for the P-ROC board can be different depending on what is in the game according to their documentation. They were 4A on my game as well.

Thanks. Is there documentation specific to each Spooky game that uses the P-ROC that would show fuse differences, for example? I couldn't find any...

#7236 3 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Here is a Slow motion video of the mini loop switch not registering, for those curious of the physics at play.

I wonder why they routed that switch hole so close to the inside rather than in the middle, angled? If they don't have all their playfields made yet, they can make a running change and fix this pretty easily with just an adjustment to the switch hole placement/angle.

#7278 3 years ago

Just an update on Spooky pin flipper coil temp testing with some temps and fade results. I only have a few more beta tests to finish and these will be ready to go. I had to make a custom bracket for Spooky pins since the Spike configuration wouldn't work, and that took extra testing to make sure it was effective. The cooling kit solves the Spooky pin fade problems in all cases.

(These are all at least 60 minutes of continuous play)

Moderate fade with temps in the low-mid 140s:
TNA, Alice Cooper Nightmare Castle

Severe fade with temps in the low-mid 150s (on the right flipper):
Rick and Morty

Still to be tested: Rob Zombie, America's Most Haunted

#7281 3 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

How long until we have the "silent fan" mod for the "Spooky flipper coil cooler" mod??

The coil cooling fans are the same ones I use in the Spike power supplies. Two of them together add up to less than 17dB. Super quiet.

You need a kit for WOZ and TH.
Those longer playing games can really benefit from a coil cooler.

Making a JJP machine kit is literally the next thing on my list as soon as GnR gets here. I estimate the Spooky kits will be ready in about two weeks.

#7283 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I don' t know the history here. Is coil heat an issue on Spooky games? Asking because I have never had such a worry or concern on any other games. And if so, is it not something that can be resolved with different coils?

Rick and Morty seems to be worse than the other spooky ones tested so far (on the right flipper, mainly as it gets a workout). Although of all the machines tested so far, Stranger Things is the champ with temps that maxed out my gauge at over 157 degrees (so I don't know how high STh goes).

But in general, with coils you're fighting the laws of thermodynamics. Energy is converted to action and heat, and if there's not enough time between pulses to let the heat dissipate, the heat continues building, which increases electrical resistance of the coil windings, which increases heat, in a loop. Unlike the other coils in the game, the flippers are firing all the time with few pauses of more than a few seconds, so they just build up heat, which affects their performance over time. Some games are better at building pauses into the action that gives the coils time to cool for short bursts. The fans just help continuously dissipate the heat to prevent heat buildup and in turn, electrical resistance. All of that said, if your playing time is 30 minutes or less, you don't have to worry about fade. It only happens over time, but once it starts, it only gets worse unless you let the machine rest (allowing time for the heat of the coils dissipate).

Here's a really easy explanation of electrical resistance:
https://nationalmaglab.org/education/magnet-academy/watch-play/interactive/heat-resistance

#7382 3 years ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

cant see how the game was damaged if all shipped in a container from spooky as it wouldnt have been packed that way

Unloading the container with a forklift (or moving it around the receiving warehouse). Pretty clear it was dropped.

#7392 3 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

I'm wondering if Eric could chime in here how much variation the coil strength settings provide? I continue to have flipper fade issues (after 30 minutes of play the left ramp is not possible) and from my experience the coil settings do not make any difference. Maybe the range of power between 30 and 50 is just very small? Or maybe increasing the value causes more heat generation and faster fade?

On Sterns the difference between "normal" and "high" when they used those for settings was about 5%.

#7396 3 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Good to know, thanks. I'm at 40 now, so I'll back down a bit. Hoping for a coil cooling kit soon.

It's pretty close. Waiting on the Spooky-specific wiring harnesses and still getting final beta test temp numbers. Should be good to go in maybe 10 days?

#7399 3 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Great news, count me in immediately!

Yeah, looking at the right flipper temps, R&M would be in the "Severe" fade category after 60 minutes of play. The fans wipe out that problem completely. I imagine anyone that plays their machine with any regularity will want a set.

#7402 3 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

While this is great news for long play don't you think there is a different issue going on here if the ramp is not possible after 30 minutes of play? I'd bet there is friction at play in the coil/sleeve/stop, etc.

Friction from a flipper too tight to the bushing and/or a coil stop are a good bet to check. The testing I have so far has the right coil between 131 and 140F after 30-40 minutes of play. That's definitely enough to notice fade, but usually not enough for ramp rollbacks, unless the ramp is steep.

#7403 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I like that you are providing this as a service, but it really shouldn't be necessary. I know all the games could potentially benefit from these, but this is a different situation. A shot is unmakeable (left ramp) after 60 minutes of play is nuts to me.

It's not unheard of. 20 years ago, Lord of the Rings pioneered the concept of unmakeable shots late in the game from severe fade. Because of the nature of coils and the laws of thermodynamics, I don't see a way to completely eliminate the problem without active cooling. It's been around as long as pinball, but only the most severe cases are noticed. Most people experience moderate fade as missed/bricked shots late in the game and chalk it up to their play when it's actually mild/moderate coil fade. I was the same way. But since I've been testing temps, it's made me much more attentive to what's happening and I now recognize those missed/bricked shots late in a game (that I made much more consistently earlier in the game) for what they usually are - mild/moderate fade.

All of that said, and with what I've gathered so far in testing Spike and Spooky machines (JJP next), active cooling should just be a standard feature, at least for their LEs.

#7413 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

The game should be designed so that all ramps are makable when the game has been played 60 minutes+. I'm not talking about fancy backhands etc. Simply making the forehand shot with a clean shot. Fade will happen, but the design should overcome that also. We had a party with a few folks over playing constant 4 player games and it was rough after a while.

Games with small breaks in the action DO really slow down the progression of fade by giving the flipper coils small rest breaks while something is happening on the screen or the ball is dancing around the pops or something. But those breaks also can be annoying as a player, so giving continuous action with active cooling is probably the most friendly solution.

#7415 3 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

LOL, no. But if Spooky sends me a new set of parts then sure
I've actually asked them to send me a new coil.

Did you compare the resistance of the left and right coils using a multimeter? That would point up if the right coil has an issue unrelated to temps.

#7436 3 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Does it need to be active cooling? I just get leery of fans and parasitic load being added everywhere. And you have to admit it's kinda silly that the active fans in a psu are too loud and annoying for some, so yay: swap those out then add the noise back in by adding an extra fan... Which is itself another mechanical failure mode.
(I realize you make the quiet kit and that comment isn't a dig... In fact I might want one myself).
Can some sort of passive heat sink be devised, like a clamp that wraps around the coil itself? Seems if passive sinks work for silicon they can work for coils. I'd try to develop something like that myself but won't have our R&M for another.... Several months, d'oh

The load for these fans is the lowest I could find @ 0.1 amp per fan. So power draw isn't really a concern. They're extremely reliable as I've used them in the spike power supplies for a few years now and zero have failed in a pretty broad base sold so far.

People have tried heat sinks, but I feel that a metal heat sink on a coil with coated metal windings is an accident waiting to happen. I would never risk it.

#7451 3 years ago

I can respect that. But for what it's worth, those same coils are already mounted to metal brackets and moving parts, and even used metal sleeves until the discovery that nylon sleeves have less friction against a metal plunger, so done properly a sink could be just as safe. Maybe the coil could be wrapped by thermally conductive - but electrically insulative - mica film and have the sink clamped to that.
Just spitballing alternatives... I (and the rest of us I'm sure) appreciate your research and efforts into solving these issues.
I've experienced thermal coil depression on some of my (older) WMS games during long parties and expos and such so I do agree it's a legit phenomenon, but those games usually aren't quite as sensitive to it, shot wise... so while I never felt compelled to consider it a big issue, may I could experiment after all. Of course now that I'm thinking about it, if the coil expands too much while hot, a clamped sink might not be a great idea anyway, lest the coil then be forced to expand inward against the sleeve/plunger. D'oh!

Exactly. Generally, the heat sink creates more potential problems than it solves, and given that it's passive, I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't cool as well - which it's why it's very common in computers to have fans atop the heat sinks to dissipate the heat from them actively.

On my Spooky coil cooling kit design, the fan is suspended over the coil, draws a tiny 0.1a to run it, and is insulated from bleed back to the power supply by a rectifier diode as a protection from some unforeseen short/electrical problem at the fan/coil.

#7534 3 years ago
Quoted from Izzy24:

Spooky sent me an additional set of metal guards and I installed over the existing ones. It didn’t make any difference. The thicker guards you mention from Mantis pinball are only slightly ticker than 2 of the spooky ones stacked. I bought the Mantis and I’m holding off on installing them because you have to drill holes in the cabinet to install them. I feel like why should I have to pay the $40 plus drill holes in a cabinet because I got defective legs?

Just put thick nylon washers on the leg bolts between the inside of the leg and the metal standoffs. Was plenty to keep the legs off the cab when I had this same issue on Dialed In. It's irritating, but not the end of the world. I survived it on Dialed In, you can too.

#7536 3 years ago
Quoted from Izzy24:

I’ll give it a try, thanks. I do wanna get some Tibetan breeze flowing over those coils when available for this one.

Haha. Shouldn't be long now. Just got the first set of illustrations for the instructions back.

#7539 3 years ago

Someone is going to have to make a steel flapper to fix this properly I think.

The material really isn't designed for a use like this. It's no surprise this is how it ends.

#7541 3 years ago

It should be a simple matter to cut a little spring steel.
You could even paint it white if you want, or make it stainless color.
It will look fine.

You could make two PETG pieces with a springloaded hinge that would absorb all the abuse instead of flexing a single piece as it is now that will always eventually break. That would solve the problem long-term and retain the transparency.

#7543 3 years ago

I dont even think transparency is an issue.
Durability is.
People put so many mods and dolls and toys on games these days you can barely see the playfield lol.

The point I was trying to make is the transparency that was wanted in the original design can be preserved while at the same time making the part actually durable by separating it into two pieces with a springloaded hinge. If people don't care about trying to keep it looking OEM, then that doesn't matter.

#7545 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

...material that is actually appropriate for the application, secondly this doesn't happen to most other games does it.

Do any other pins have a post that repeatedly bends a piece of plastic over and over? I can't think of any...

#7606 3 years ago

So I don’t know if this is the same issue some people are having with their right lower flipper or not but I’m sharing this fix I just did on mine because the scenario seemed similar.
So I’m on day 3 of owning RM and yesterday I started noticing the lower flipper starting to act funny.
Not flipping sometimes, being weak (meaning ball was pushing the flipper back down) not being able to make the left ramp or shoot the ball more than halfway up the playfield and the flipper would also flutter.
So I checked the coil and it was fine, not binding and seemed ok. Then looked at the flipper button and noticed it wasn’t really making good contact because that long plastic bar that gets pressed by the actual button was just barely engaging the leaf switch contacts. So I tried adjusting those but still had issues.
After removing the switch and using what I had on hand here’s a few pictures of what I did to improve the button, lever and switch contact. I just cut some smaller zip ties up and put one small piece of duct tape around it to keep it where I needed better contact.
It’s working great now!
I know there’s a post about a disc or something that’s from the No Fear pin but I didn’t have that and so, like I said, I used what I had on hand.
Also I just want to say thanks to Chris at Kingpin games for helping me out with the issue. I texted him about it and he called me right away to help. Thanks Chris!
****If you make this same fix make sure the zip tie head is placed in line with the top of the closet leaf switch lever. Look closely at the pictures. The picture I took of the plastic lever out where you can see the zip ties and tape clearly is a picture I took of it before I placed in in the correct position.

Thanks for posting this. I keyposted so people can find it if they run into this problem.

#7612 3 years ago
Quoted from Izzy24:

Tonight I was playing and while holding the right flippers, the lower right coil made a really loud humming noise compared to holding the left flipper where the humming sound was much lower. Both flippers are on medium hold strength however +5 in power each from factory settings. Is it normal to hear a noticeable humming while holding a flipper?

Vibration, buzzing, etc. Whitestar Sterns were really bad for this. It still can happen. Tighten stuff up or if that doesn't stop it, add rubber dampening rings if it bothers you.

#7621 3 years ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

Anyone have a similar issue to this? None of my other machines have this type of wear between the lockdown bar and side armor.
Thoughts?

If the lockdown bar can wiggle up and down a little, it causes this. Seen it on a number of pins. Put a small bit of some mylar on the rail to stop it from getting worse.

#7625 3 years ago
Quoted from waynetrane:

All machines have the tendency to get this wear.
It depence of the surface and your gaming intensity how fast this wear can appear.
I always put 3 layer of mylar on the siderail.

It also depends in the amount of play in the lockdown bar. They're not all the same.

#7630 3 years ago
Quoted from jbigdoggf:

Dumb noob question but how do you tighten a lock down bar ? are there adjustments ?

There should be a brass screw in the middle of the receiver when you take the lockdown bar off. Turn that to tighten/loosen the bar. Doesn't apply to the newer Spike/Spike2 snap on lockdown bars.

#7640 3 years ago
Quoted from waynetrane:

Yeah you are right, and stainless steel siderails are having less problems, plus you'll not see the traces so eye-catching.
I'll grab the moment to praise your fan again. Big thanks !
Please send the coil-cooling mod to Ministry of pinball as soon as possible when it is ready too.

Ministry has a pretty large order about to go out so they will have stock of a much wider array of Pinmonk stuff pretty soon.

#7700 3 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

This would be really great if the dimensions could be a selectable option in the menu to be randomized. I have lost a lot if dexterity and motor control on my left side, so I am an even worse player than I used to be. The odds of me ever seeing anything beyond underwater dimension are very slim.

Or a challenge mode where you can just pick a dimension or series of dimensions to play instead of a normal game. Ghostbusters God mode, JP challenge, etc.

#7788 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

This dimension thing - all I know is that I see the same ones all the time too and I’ve progressed past three or more. I would also like to see them be more random if the case is they are random now. At least give us the option
I don’t care about pinball scores or tournaments

Well then, maybe the "random" selection could be random BUT NOT the dimension of that class that was played last. So it always has a different dimension from the last game played. It would force it to mix it up a bit more consistently.

#7789 3 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I see fart and scream dimension most often.

Two propulsive ends of the same dimension.

#7850 3 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

Next stop: boob world.

Is Rick and Morty (the show) extreme enough to have pedo dimension with Michael Jackson, Prince Andrew, Roman Polanski, R Kelly, etc alt-versions all roaming around proclaiming their innocence?

#7879 3 years ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

I feel like I want this, but I have no idea what the blue crystal mod is. Pics?

breaking-bad-tuco.gifbreaking-bad-tuco.gif
#7898 3 years ago
Quoted from Blackzarak:

I don’t know why I fix the fluttering of the flippers with the no fear disk and adjust the EOS, but now I get the often flippers stuck in the up position I have to double tap the flipper button to release it.. anyone else having no this issue???

You went too far the other way with the EOS adjust. I believe that sticking is the symptom of that. Back it off a smidge.

#7962 3 years ago

Good advice! Thanks.
What DBA to get?

If you're going 110v, hard to go wrong with a MEI 2411 DBA. Just make sure it is the flashport version, which can be upgraded as new bills appear. You can get them on Ebay for $100-$125 used. I have some I'd sell for $100, too. I also have the 12v ones, but those are much newer and more expensive. I'd stick with the 110v ones. Oh, and make sure you're getting the harness that connects it to the pin. Lots of times that's sold separately and is about another $15.

#7966 3 years ago

Got it, Thanks!
What coin mechs are fairly robust?

I always just use the stock ones that Stern supplies. No idea beyond that. Never had one fail (but I think that's because they were new and over half the traffic went to the bill acceptors).

#7972 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I’d buy the one that vireland is offering for $100
Plus I’d go U3. U5 is 500 capacity and those are large and sometimes have clearance issues. Have not tested on R&M.

Oh, right. I agree. Never had luck with the 500 stackers. Always clearance problems. 300 bill cartridges are the way to go.

#7992 3 years ago

Im comitted to routing my game in the spring.
I reading about some sporadic odd behaviors and taking notes.
Is this game robust enough to go on route?
Any advice from operators is much appreciated.
Since its P3-roc Im thinking of supplying a variac for stability.

I don't think you'll have Houdini-type power problems with Rick and Morty. Spooky uses a robust (overly robust, IMO) switching power supply AND an AUX power supply as well - kind of where AP ended up after all the problems with their earlier design.

#7996 3 years ago
Quoted from Bingovit:

If this is the first game you’re going to route a Stern is the way to go.
I’ve pulled my R&M after day one due to software issues that are still not resolved.
While I’m certain spooky will fix this it’s already been a few months with low communication.
In short the software freezes if the game is on for long periods(few hours) or in multiplayer games which makes it unusable on my location at least..

This lockup problem is not Spooky-specific. JJP and Stern have also had this lockup issue if the machines are left on 24/7 like on location. In their cases they both implemented a "maintenance reboot" that happens once a day to keep the machines from locking up rather than fixing the memory leak I believe is likely the root of the problem. I *think* Stern started this around Iron Maiden's release, but not 100% positive.

The common thread to the three manufacturers dealing with this? Linux.

#8007 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Boatloads of smart TV's use Linux and they don't lockup.

It's all about the kernel, baby. Also, SMART TVs in general have a much larger development staff than pinball. I'm just pointing out that these lockup problems happened with the move to linux by the three largest pin manufacturers, and on JJP were specifically tied to a specific kernel update.

#8012 3 years ago

Thank you for your honest input!
Its not going on location until March or April.
Im hopeful that software resets and code issues will be resolved good enough for location play.
I can bulletproof the hardware or harden it easily enough.
It would be great if I could share this game with the local community and not just add it to my collection to collect dust.
I hope to start a thread on its life at an arcade and document my findings.

What I did when we were having problems with JJP WoZ in the lockup period before I changed out the motherboard to escape the chipset that caused the problem with the linux kernel was put the pin on a WEMO remote outlet that I could turn on and off remotely with my phone. Then I could set an "off" schedule for the pin so it turned off when the place closed and turn it on in the morning automatically. I could also access the remote security camera and see if the pin had locked and reboot it remotely by turning the WEMO off, waiting a minute, then turn it back on. Worked reasonably well and cost less than $100 for the camera and the internet-connected power outlet.

#8019 3 years ago

That is an excellent idea!
Looks like a few manual reboots during the day until its sorted out.
My plan is to run it 24/7 in my shop for testing until it goes on route.

The security cameras are great for general peace of mind and the fact that you sometimes get funny stuff like AfMr's attract mode martian topper moving and yelling, scaring kids when they hit the flipper button (and other crazier stuff).

2019-05-13_17-55-10_Oleerys AfM scares kid.gif2019-05-13_17-55-10_Oleerys AfM scares kid.gif
#8030 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

What type of other crazier stuff??

That particular location was a bar where some of the patrons got a bit randy in the early AM. Clothes on, but very grabby, usually while the woman was trying to play pinball.

#8073 3 years ago

Spooky cooling kits are done and in the pinside pinmonk store. They'll also be up at pinmonk.com by next week (which takes international orders). More hardware than the Spike2 version because of completely different mounting required, but still a pretty easy install and still kills flipper coil fade dead for as long as you want to play.
Spooky_Kit_Contents (resized).jpgSpooky_Kit_Contents (resized).jpg

#8076 3 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

What is this cooling and what is causing the flipper fade?

It's cooling the flipper coils. For Rick and Morty, the right one has severe fade over time if you play continuously for 40-60 minutes. On the product page, there's a Q&A and link to a website that explains electrical resistance increasing with heat on the page, too. I didn't want to junk this thread up with all of it, but here's the part you asked about:

WHAT CAUSES FLIPPER COIL FADE?
In general, with coils you're fighting the laws of thermodynamics. Energy (power) sent to the coil is converted to action and heat, and if there's not enough time between pulses to let the heat dissipate, the heat continues building, which increases electrical resistance of the coil windings, requiring more power for the same work which increases heat, in a loop. Unlike the other coils in the game, the flippers are firing all the time with few pauses of more than a few seconds, so they just build up heat, which affects their performance over time. Some games are better at building pauses into the action that gives the coils time to cool for short bursts. These fans help continuously dissipate the heat to prevent heat buildup and in turn, keep electrical resistance to the practical minimum of the device.

Here's a really easy-to-understand explanation of electrical resistance with an animated virtual online experiment to demonstrate:
https://nationalmaglab.org/education/magnet-academy/watch-play/interactive/heat-resistance

#8086 3 years ago

So why is this prevalent on R&M versus other games? Versus JJP games? I was wondering if the coils were going to prematurely wear as they seem like they are taxed way more on this game with the slam bumper and scoop eject. Lots of flipper use to stop the ball for more inexperienced players who aren't comfortable with a bounce.

All machines have the problem to some degree with long, continuous play, including JJP, which is next up for a kit. Why are some worse than others? I don't know yet, but part of the puzzle may have to do with the coils chosen. TNA and AC/NC both have different coils than Rick and Morty and still have mild fade reaching 143F, but Rick and Morty with a different coil used is 10 degrees higher on the right flipper with severe fade. The coil kits fix the fade problem by holding every coil I've tested to less than 110F (most are around 100F) for as long as you want to play the machine. So the problem is fixed, and as I do more testing and make more kits, I hope to find a better answer to the "why."
Flipper-Coil-Testing-Chart_Spooky_11-21-20 (resized).pngFlipper-Coil-Testing-Chart_Spooky_11-21-20 (resized).png

#8089 3 years ago

If anyone in the US has an America's Most Haunted and wants to do some coil temp testing in exchange for a free coil cooling kit, hit me up on PM.

I should be able to do Rob Zombie testing, but it's unlikely I'll have access to an AMH to finish out all the Spooky machine temp tests. Total testing time of the coils (60 mins before the kit and 60 mins after the kit) plus the installation should take about 3 hours, but doesn't have to all be done at once, just within a few days of getting the coil kit.

#8091 3 years ago

Cool, thanks for the info. What about the 3rd flipper?

I think the main fade issue on most machines is the two main flippers, so those are the kits I'm trying to get out for Spike2, Spooky, and (soon) JJP first. I've made the harness modular on purpose, so if 3/4 flipper fade becomes a thing, I can offer 3 and 4 flipper expansion kits to extend the base 2 flipper kit to the extra flippers at that point.

#8113 3 years ago
Quoted from Gasoline:

Appreciate Vireland providing a solution for those who have their R&M with current coils having issues.
I wonder why Spooky changed SKUs on coil components? What's the advantage of the FL-22-9900 vs FL-11629?
For future builds, why not go back to previous coils if it helps minimize the issue?

That's the kind of cool thing about this coil temp testing project that turned into these kits. It turned up and is still turning up all sorts of interesting questions. I don't have the answers to most of them yet, but I hope that as I add more data, patterns will start to emerge that help solve them. I also want to start testing coil resistance cold and then after 60 minutes of play to see what the heat does to resistance as well.

Even if Spooky went back to the FL-22-9900 which are pretty consistently 143F after 60 minutes - that's enough to cause play issues, and it likely would be in the severe category after another hour of straight play on top of that as well. So going back to the FL-11629 may help somewhat, it's not an actual solution to long-play fade.

#8203 3 years ago
Quoted from Jeroenos:

Okay, I have never played the game and I have number 610. I own an acnc and if I compare it which one is more difficult? I have to make the decision to keep my place and the 25 percent price increase hurts. is she worth it ????

With number 610, I'd just ask Spooky to hold it and send it a bit later. That punitive tariff might by gone by spring...

#8240 3 years ago
Quoted from BeeGeeMtl:

Can anyone help me with the right bottom flipper? I got the game 2 weeks ago but almost NEVER hit the left ramp all the way up. I tried to adjust the "milliseconds" in the SETTINGS (whatever that means) but not much difference. It literally doesn't feel like the ball will ever make it up, any advice? (ps: I'm NOT a techie, so you'd have to walk me through any things to "fix" since I don't understand any of that stuff) Feels like the game isn't complete until I can set up that shot properly and the right-top-flipper garage shot (but I have a friend coming by to adjust that flipper a little).

Check the gap of your EOS switch. It might be engaging too soon. It's the leaf switch on the same plate as the flipper coil. Post a picture if you're not sure.

#8244 3 years ago
Quoted from BeeGeeMtl:

I appreciate you trying to help but I don't know what an EOS switch is, or where to find or whether to know if it's "engaging too soon" or what a leaf switch is. I'm basically a guy who just bought a new car but has no idea how it works or how to fix it, which is probably the difference between some owners in this thread being somewhat miffed at all the stuff they need to fix and those who understand how pins work and how to fix them.

Well, that's why I said POST A PICTURE IF YOU'RE NOT SURE. We can go from there. I didn't give you an impossible task.

So post a picture of your flipper coil area (not too tight) and I'll talk you through checking.

#8247 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

vireland it’s been well established by Spooky that the EOS doesn’t cut high power on the flipper coil, so not sure what you are trying to achieve here.

Maybe I'm confusing Spooky flipper knockdown fixes with normal (non-Spooky) EOS fixes that affect power.

#8380 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

If that's true, WOW. Even more respect for the craftsmanship that went into the cabinet! I guess it would explain the cost as well. Don't recall who told me butter was based on RadCal-like technology. Thanks for the clarification!

If they're anything like the direct printed cabinets on the ECLEs, they're amazing. LOVE that cabinet glossy look and feel. The only downside is I've heard that they can chip at the corners (or if damaged) and if that happens, you're screwed. But I had a WoZ ECLE for 5 years or so and it was perfect the day it arrived and the day it left, no chips.

#8449 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinstym:

That's some great fart acting. I think I could do that, but then I wonder, could I fart under pressure? I'd definitely need a good spit guard.
Maybe some day when things settle down code wise, we can have our own farts inserted into the game. I'd pay $100 bucks easy to have my very own fart in there. I can see and hear it now... first fart of the dimension... hey guys, that's me.
To dream.

There are hundreds of fart effects already available in pro sound FX libraries. Once you work with the FX libraries, you start to recognize specific FX the sound mixers for movies and TV shows are too lazy to pitch or change so they're not stock. Here's some from Hollywood Edge (I added to an internet gif for demonstration purposes)...

It's surprising how little Science knows about farts:
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20160331-why-we-need-a-better-way-to-measure-farts

#8467 3 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Damn, Hollywood Edge. Bringing back some memories!

Yeah, RIP Hollywood Edge. Sound Ideas is the crappier company, but they bought the corpse. I'm not sure Sound Ideas will be long for the world, either, though.

#8551 3 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I do know that the skill shot to the garage that ends in "like I care" seems to always play at a lower volume.

I wonder if the audio for the callouts are compressed and normalized so they're all roughly the same volume to begin with.

#8784 3 years ago
Quoted from jsa2145:

And how long approximately did you play for those temps ?
Thanks

Depending on play style, you'll see 150F and up on the RIGHT flipper on Rick and Morty starting at somewhere between 40 and 60 minutes of continuous play based on the tests I've had people do with measuring equipment strapped on to the coils. Someone sent me a video of a flipper just stopping working temporarily once it hit 180F after hours of continuous play. Left flipper is nowhere near as bad, temp-wise.

#8986 3 years ago
Quoted from mariobeans:

How do I do an error dump on a thumb drive?

1. Eat more than one combo from the taco bell dollar menu.
2. Drink lots of coffee.
3. Road trip!
4. Hold it way too long.
5. Just as the moment of truth arrives and it's too late, throw the thumb drive on the ground. If this happens while in line at WalMart at the customer service desk while waiting for a key to the bathroom, you will be labeled a purist.

Or, you could just check the topic index at the top of any page in this thread for a direct link to your answer.

#8996 3 years ago
Quoted from mariobeans:

I did check that, musta skipped over that

Check again. Did you click the link to expose all 50+ key posts? Your answer is definitely linked on that list.

I actually made a suggestion to Robin because of your post that he make categories for key posts: News, General, Tech and then if you're looking for a Tech answer you can click that on the list and it will filter out the keyposts to just the Tech ones to reduce the noise in busy threads.

#9071 3 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Well you should be able to loosen the flipper bats under the PF and adjust the height by lowering or raising them. They should fully down and then with a credit card's width of gap left between the bottom of the flipper and the top of the bushing.
I would start there, they might just be set a little high currently.

Won't help. The bushings are the problem with the large gap. They're way over the playfield and prevent the flipper from being moved closer down.

#9072 3 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

Yo' pinball people.
Ok... spent some time on the phone with the mfg. We have never changed anything in the flipper mechs and have been running the same everything since day one here at Spooky over the course of well over 2,000 games to date in that regard.
BUT... looking at older Spooky games here vs Rick and Morty ... you pinball maniacs ain't wrong. The flippers do sit a bit higher with this same ol' same ol' Wms style bushing.

So if the bushing didn't change, what did change to push the pushing higher relative to the top of the playfield? Is the playfield wood about 1/8" thinner? There's not a whole lot of options. Either the bushing got longer, or if that didn't the flipper plate got flatter or the playfield got thinner. I'm assuming that making a special bushing is easier than fixing the other issue to just keep using the standard WMS bushings...

#9081 3 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

The consensus is/was that the playfield is thinner than the old playfields.

I was just scanning the thread and must have missed that. Thanks.

#9135 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I'm not a mechanical engineer (or physics guru), but I doubt this is true. My bushing is 3/16" off the PF. If the bushing is lowered 2/16", the bat will be sitting 2/16" lower in the clamp, which (I believe) will improve the operation of the flipper.

It probably wouldn't work long-term due to stresses on it (then again, maybe it will. Who knows?), but 3D printing a gasket to raise the flipper bushing on the flipper plate would lower it on the playfield and should give it the desirable gap until the Spooky bushings are available. As long as the linkage of the flipper mechanism still clears the raised bushing on the underside, it should work fine.

#9156 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Not for B/W flipper assemblies, apparently. If an existing bushing worked better, it would have been discovered by now. As Charlie said, modifying the bushing requires retooling (which I'm sure they would avoid if possible).

EDIT: Looks like this will raise the bushing too much on the flipper plate under the playfield, interfering with the flipper linkage, so it won't work. Ah, well...

If anyone has a 3D printer and wants to correct their bushings on a Rick and Morty DIY style, I made an STL file of a 1/8" spacer that fits to the B/W flipper bushing you can put between the bushing and the flipper plate to lower the bushing on the R&M playfield without having to do any cutting on the bushing.

I wouldn't recommend PLA filament (though you're free to try), definitely at least PETG, but Nylon would probably be best if you have it due to the vibration abuse these will take. I'm assuming you'll also need 3 longer screws for the bushing with the gasket because they may not reach with the gasket installed.

If anyone wants to try it, PM me your email and I'll send you the STL file and you can make gcode from it at any resolution and density you want to print. The model looks like this...
SpookyFlipperBushingSpacer (resized).jpgSpookyFlipperBushingSpacer (resized).jpg

#9190 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

If you place your mod in-between the bushing and the mount, it will certainly lower the bushing topside, but the bushing bottom side will not be in the proper position to accommodate the flipper plunger/crank assembly. See photo from another game I happen to have open...same B/W mech Spooky uses.
[quoted image]

Yeah, I see what you mean. Lifting the whole flipper plate is the only way to do it, and that would cause stability issues, I think. So grinding the bushing or waiting for the new one is the only way, really.

#9215 3 years ago
Quoted from gac:

The naked basketball rim was driving me crazy. Couple pics of the fix.

Definitely adds some visual interest, but it should be smaller at the bottom than the top.

rickandmorty-garage-hoop (resized).jpgrickandmorty-garage-hoop (resized).jpg
#9230 3 years ago
Quoted from gac:

It is slightly smaller on the bottom. Hard to tell in the photos.

Ah, I thought it was 3d printed. With fabric mesh, you'd have to get out your sewing kit to cinch up the bottom a bit to mimic an actual new basketball net shape.

1 week later
#9412 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Cool!
...but, umm, what about the squishy plastic sandwiched between the coil stop retaining bolts and the coil stop? . How are they done up to high tension without bulging plastic? ... I hope it goes okay anyway in the long run
Doesn't that leave plastic now trying to firmly hold the coil stop from moving? . Will it do a good job at that?

The tension is handled by the 10-32 hex steel standoffs that replace the retaining black cap top screw's job of keeping the coil stops on (loctite included). So the old retaining screw's only job is to keep the fan bracket attached to the new steel standoffs. You can see a picture of the steel standoffs on the product page where all the pieces are laid out (https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1170-pin-monk/04552-tibetan-breeze-spooky-pin-flipper-cooling-kit).

#9413 3 years ago
Quoted from RebelGuitars:

How difficult is the loctite to break loose if you need to change a coil stop? Those aluminum stand-offs sheer off pretty easily.

They're steel hex standoffs, not aluminum. Crazy expensive per piece, and one reason the Spooky kit is more expensive than the Spike one. I would not use aluminum on such a high stress/high vibration part.

#9414 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

thx for posting. Was interested in these till I saw the mounting style. That is a poor design. Coil stops need to be very firmly help in place and plastic and extended bolt is a bad design for me.
pinmonk, and redesign possible here. Would rather mount to the spring plate or ???

I've tested the Spooky design extensively (many, MANY iterations to get to the final design). Standoffs are stainless steel and do the work of keeping the coil stop on, so there's little stress on the fan bracket, which is PETG for durability. We're ~3 months in with this design and no failures, so I'll see how it goes, but I believe the design is good for the long haul and I didn't skimp on parts, focusing on quality components that will last.

Quoted from Whysnow:

Do the fans run constantly when the game is powered on? I was thinking of adding these for route game, but non-stop running I am not a fan (pun intended) of
Would be cool if they only started when a game was started.

No pun intended?

I had thought about adding a thermal switch when making these, but that's more complexity and cost in a kit that's already over $100, so I nixed the idea. It's 100% do-able, but I just don't think the benefit is there for most people that will buy it.

The fans are excellent quality and rated to run about 7 years on at a 24/7/365 always-on environment. Most route locations turn off overnight, so you're likely looking at like 14 years of service in that case. It's not really an issue. Together, they only draw 4/10ths of one amp, so the power consumption isn't a consideration when the main meanwell power supply with the always-on fan Spooky uses is sucking up multiples of that as long as the machine is on, too.

#9415 3 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Sorry about the confusion with my pics not showing the coil stop stand-off bolts clearly. The design seems solid. Not sure about the metal used for the stand-offs, but I'm guessing aluminum because it's not magnetically affected.

It's good quality stainless steel, not the cheap stuff, hence magnetism fail.

I made a change to the instructions cover section just now to specifically call out the standoffs as stainless steel due to the mild confusion here. I want people to know the quality they're getting.

#9418 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Thx for the additional info pinmonk

No problem. This kind of discussion is actually good because it lets me know where I can communicate information better in the product page or instructions. I just changed the instruction first panel so all of them from here on out will specifically state the hex standoffs are stainless steel.

#9429 3 years ago
Quoted from Nysbadmk8:

Yes. Every game is affected. There is no fix till spooky has new ones made. You could shave yours down if needed.

So, your recommendation is to shave his bush? This thread has taken a hard turn.

#9435 3 years ago

I've had enough test results in that I'm not going to wait for more and make the 3 flipper coil cooling kits for spooky available right away. In multiple temp tests on different Rick and Morty machines, it's not uncommon to see the upper right flipper exceed 180F in long sessions >90 minutes (>170F after 60 minutes, even), which is crazy. Just got another test in with an almost 184F peak temp.

So there are now 3 and 4 flipper spooky flipper cooling kits in the pinmonk store. I will make add-on kits available shortly for anyone that bought a 2 flipper kit already and wants to upgrade to the 3 flipper setup. With all three fans connected, the kit draws 6/10ths of 1 amp, so very small power draw.

#9437 3 years ago
Quoted from Nysbadmk8:

LOL. Well done fine sir. I reward you all the internet points... And should just pull the trigger on the parts of yours I have sitting in my cart

Take your time. You don't want to rush and make a potentially painful mistake.

#9449 3 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

I don't see the need for a third flipper cooler as it shouldn't have a shot that will need that type of upped or sustained power to make. Garage shot/spinner loop shots should be more than ok with any flipper power

I like the way you think, I was the same way. The problem is since the right upper flipper is flipping in tandem with the lower flipper, it's getting hot as well. In addition to extreme heat, I have video of one just failing - it stops working at all - until it cooled a bit on the next ball because it got so hot (I don't know why as I only have the video, was it swollen from the heat? Dunno.). So that is a heretofore unknown issue to me. I didn't know they could stop working. Plus, I would think that over time 180F+ on the playfield is going to cook the wood and end up with something like magnet burn that will eventually show through to the top. So there are cosmetic concerns, too.

None of this is a problem if your sessions are 30 minutes or less because the extreme heat doesn't come into play. But if sessions are typically 60 minutes or more, definitely an issue, especially on Rick and Morty, which has the highest coil temps with long play of any machine I've tested so far.

#9452 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

How long was your test that caused the flipper to stop working? Seems like a big problem for R&M's in the wild (when they return to life post COVID).

That was sent to me, so I only know the temp was over 180F and the flipper stopped working temporarily.

I don't think it would be a problem (non working flipper) in the wild since the machine would have to be played non-stop for something like 90 minutes or more with no breaks, and that's not usually the way location pins go unless it's a hardcore pin player hangout.

Quoted from snaroff:

Wonder if there are software/hardware tweaks that could help, since I've never heard of Stern/JJP/BW failing from heat exhaustion...

Dunno, but it seems like there should be some way to help in software. I don't know if the P-Roc gives some kind of flipper pulse granularity, though. In all the (limited - a bit over 10 models) testing so far R&M by far has the highest 60 and 90 minute temps and is the only one where a flipper temporarily stopped working when it passed 180F (I'm trying to find the email, but I believe it was over 187F if I remember right).

#9455 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Good point, but I had my LOTR in a high traffic free play arcade (where you pay an hourly rate) and it was getting over 1000 plays per week IIRC.

I would not put R&M in that environment without cooling for the flippers, for sure. But I would think that's a pretty extreme case.

#9456 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Someone gave an in depth explanation why it seemed to be especially bad on R&M earlier in the thread.

I also don't have a R&M so I can't test to see if hold pulses continue to raise coil temps when you trap, which is part of the heat puzzle, too. On Spike2 I was surprised to find that hold doesn't increase temps of the coil. I left it on hold for a half hour and only got one degree hotter. That's a complete (and welcome) departure from SAM/Whitestar.

#9470 3 years ago
Quoted from TherealDroopy:

Ok, need some help. I am going to email spooky if I can't get it figured out. That being said, my left flipper crapped out. Switch test good coil test bad. Wire from board to coil good, coil has same ohms as lower right coil. Fuses on board good. Thinking its the transistor? But not sure, entertaining family and was hoping for a solution I might be able to fix. If anyone has ideas I would appreciate any help.

If you've got a multimeter, check the transistor for that coil, for sure.

https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=General#Testing_a_Transistor.2C_Silicon_Controlled_Rectifier_.28SCR.29_or_Field_Effect_Transistor_.28FET.29

If you don't know which transistor goes to the flipper coil in question, you can brute force it and try them all looking for the one that reads bad.

And if you don't have the transistor to replace it, you can "borrow" one from a flasher or something else temporarily you won't miss and move that from where it is to the flipper position.

That said, if something else (short, etc) is causing the transistor to blow, you'll blow up the new or borrowed one, too.

#9472 3 years ago

Thank you for the link will try to dig into it tomorrow. Not sure about soldering on the board, got an email in to spooky also. If they will warranty it I would try my hand at it to get it going for new years party. I Might even have a transistor from an electronics kit laying around?

I don't know what they're using, but you want to make sure whatever you replace it with (if it's indeed bad) is compatible. No need to multiply your problems.

#9493 3 years ago
Quoted from Jherre6:

Having an issue with some of the coils not firing. Neither the top or bottom flippers fire, the ball shoot coil, and the knocker. The left flipper does fire. Those are all i found so far, i'll start testing the rest.
Any ideas?

Sounds like you blew one of the fuses.

Check the fuses on the boards in the backbox on the left where all the transistors are.

#9497 3 years ago
Quoted from Jherre6:

Looking at the switch test these are open for some reason although looking at the switches they don’t look closed.
[quoted image]

Two targets up, 4 balls in the trough, one captive ball. Seems right.

Did you pull the fuses on the boards with the transistors and check them with a multimeter. Losing a section of coils/flashers is usually a blown fuse.

#9498 3 years ago
Quoted from ninjedi:

Thanks... I was look on the pinmonk site.
Looks like no international shipping.

The international shipping is only on pinmonk.com, which only has the 2 flipper kit currently. I'll have the 3 flipper kit on there by this weekend.

#9501 3 years ago

I know it's been discussed, but that type of plastic really isn't designed to flex. For the trouble of switching to a more elastic plastic, I have to suspect a piece of die-cut spring steel in the same shape, would work a lot better and last almost forever. To preserve cosmetics they could laminate it with a mylar sticker of the same art currently beneath the transparent part.
Speaking of mylar... has anyone tried laminating a broken part with some mylar strips, or even thick clear packing tape, to see if that would work any better? Thin strips of mylar might make a decent hinge where the range of motion is pretty limited. Certainly couldn't hurt to try this if the original breaks and you don't have a spare. You'd have to laminate both sides of the part across the break... with a small gap between them to allow the laminate "hinges" to flex without forcing the bottom one to stretch (the bottom would flex upward; the top would compress into the gap; both would be needed to keep the parts aligned and prevent the mech/ship from simply flopping over & getting stuck).

I don't have one so I can't tell for sure, but I don't get why there isn't just a tube directly under that cone-like white piece and have two posts or hooks on the cone attached to small springs attached to the tube/pedestal below that pull the cone down to a home position where the inside of the cone it rests on top of the tube, then when it's poked from underneath, the springs pull it back down onto the tube to "home" position. Would get rid of that plastic square on the side completely and make the printed plastic it covers fully visible. You could make the tube top curved so the cone rested somewhat randomly to introduce more jiggliness in the spring above, too.

#9508 3 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

Heads up! My game has been routed and seen a fair amount of play, and is beginning to wear. It’s a non-butter. I will be removing the side rails and putting Mylar to stop it as-is, but some might wish to prevent wear at all.
[quoted image]

I thought that was camera flash shine initially. Yikes, that definitely calls for a mylar round or something under the see-through armor before this happens to other routed ones...

#9511 3 years ago

So testing / trouble shooting did confirm bad transistor. Spooky worked with me all day via email to verify it was in fact the transistor. Should ship one out on Monday. Decided I wanted it running sooner so I stole #1 (unused?) and put it in #8(left flipper) Was extra careful with the iron and the solder sucker definitely helped.
Happy new year!
[quoted image]

Great news. Running now is better than running next week.

#9531 3 years ago
Quoted from djsoup:

Yeah I checked that first and they are soldered on. Another pinsider suggested adjusting the switch. Here's a pic of my right flipper with the button pressed in.. so the plastic piece needs adjustment?

Yeah, just bend that back leaf closer to the rest of the stack so it makes contact easier/quicker and stays engaged. Also, make sure the little "nub" dot at the end isn't jagged or broken off on the inside where it makes contact.

#9536 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Thanks for the heads up! I checked my game and saw that it was just starting to wear on the right side. I ended up taking out two of the screws on each side rail and put some peel and stick mylar down for protection. You can't tell that its even there and the game should be well protected now. It only took about 10 minutes. [quoted image][quoted image]

Spooky making a running factory change and putting a thin piece of die-cut thin circular plastic under the armor there on both sides would stop this in its tracks for the approx 40-50% of machines left to run.

#9542 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Just upgraded the stock lcd to an LG one and installed vireland fan .
Both made a huge difference and highly recommended. (Though the screen replacement is definitely a luxury).
Also put the spacer under the speaker - what a pain in the a$$ that was. As usual what seem like simple jobs turn out to be the hardest.

More than the fan? Getting the power supply in a position to work on with the Spooky machines is definitely not convenient...

#9544 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Power supply was a bit of a pain but I knew what to expect since I had to take one out of TNA a while back. Just have to be slow and methodical and follow your instructions- which are excellent BTW.
What a difference though. Well worth it.

Yeah, once you get the power supply in a position to work on it, the rest isn't hard, just lots of steps. But that back connector REALLY should be a molex to allow easy removal and attaching without mistakes. Maybe on Ben's upcoming Spooky...

And yeah, people write me all the time about how they knew it would be better, but didn't know how MUCH better it was once the new fan was in. Basically from a vacuum cleaner in the next room sound to almost nothing.

#9546 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Here’s some “after” photos of the LG lcd upgrade. Much crisper, cleaner and more vibrant colours, not washed out - much deeper blacks (sounds like a tv ad, but I guess that’s what they’re selling also). Unfortunately Don’t have “before” photos.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I haven't seen it IRL, but I would assume the stock LCD is a TN panel because they're super cheap. Unfortunately, TN panels have poor color gamut/reproduction and terrible viewing angles, washing out the screen if you're only off angle a few degrees up, down, left, right. I would guess the LG panel is some flavor of IPS or a PVA panel, both of which have better color gamut and much better viewing angles. What's the model on the LG you got?

#9549 3 years ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

Bit of a shame this is considered a worthwhile mod :-/ Did you fiddle with LCD panels settings before popping in the new panel? I wonder the bulk price difference between buying the OEM R&M panel vs the on you've used.

Adjusting the LCD settings of the stock panel won't help the poor viewing angle that causes a washed out look even a few degrees off angle if it is a TN (as it seems to be). That's why I'm interested in any part number markings on the stock panel to determine what kind of panel it is as well as the model of the LG to confirm it's an IPS flavor or a PVA.

#9554 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Was t too expensive so I’m not sure if it’s a remarkably different standard than the original. But it’s definitely noticeable.

The cheaper ips variants like e-ips that only have 6 bit color are still better than TN and not really that much more expensive. Probably just an issue of sourcing. Part numbers or model numbers will help me narrow down what you actually got in your LG panel. Were there markings on the spooky one you took out that would help me figure out what it is?

#9557 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Interesting. I assume the settings are on the LCD itself? Are they labeled and fairly easy to fiddle with?

There's a board next to the controller on the back of the LCD you can use to adjust brightness/contrast. Also, if gamma is off on yours, turn it on.

#9576 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Replacement LG: LP156WF1-TLB2
Stock Spooky: B156XW02 V2

Interesting that the replacement is still a TN.

I was also surprised that it was only a 720p panel. They're like $20 on Alibaba, even in low quantities.

Spooky is also apparently using BOE NT156WHM-N50 panels. That are a little better than the B156XW02 V2 you had, but still pretty crap. It would explain why some people are "good enough with adjustments" and others aren't satisfied. They probably have completely different TN panels.

#9580 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Ok, found the original suggestion for this LG panel in the TNA thread.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome/page/51#post-4389862
Came from the Colour DMD guys - you’d think if anyone knows the difference it would be them.

Maybe when we get a R&M around here, I'll give an IPS or PVA panel a shot and see if it can be improved further.

#9583 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

No doubt it’s likely. Finding the correct size and fitting hardware in stock to make it plug and play is another issue. I’d be happy to buy one and test it if I knew where to look.

Being that I'm not 100% sure and would likely have to try a few panels (and some of the factories lie about the panels they have, saying they're not TN when they are), no sense in wasting your money. I'll just do it once I have access to a R&M.

But if you want to set off on your own and not wait, just check out Alibaba listings for 1366x768 15.6" ips or pva panels. The connector is clearly important, so I think you want a LVDS 40 pin connector if you go that route. Unfortunately I'm not sure if you get an 8 bit panel if it will connect up since the TN panels are 6 bit. Likewise, if you get a 2 channel LVDS 40 pin connector, I'm not sure if it will work since the TN is a single channel connector. This is all part of the process of elimination.

All that said, this sharp panel seems promising if the 6/8 bit is ok:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/SHARP-15-6-inch-LQ156T3LW02-with_1600125250385.html

Although their overly-broad estimate of the price for 1 of "$30-$100" is a little concerning...

#9586 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Found panel and controller on eBay from the same guy I bought the controller off for the lg. Looks to be the same controller.

Does he know about the 6bit stock vs 8bit color on the new panel still being compatible?

#9594 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Understood. But the quality of the display should be at least on par with the competition. A Stern Pro shouldn’t have a better display.

Do we know for sure that a Stern pro does? And if you go down that road, everyone should have JJP screens because they are the best quality out there at the moment.

#9595 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

His unit comes complete with the controller with HDMI input (actually same controller as the stock Spooky). I’m assuming it should just be a matter of swapping?

I would *think* so, but the only thing that gives me pause is the 6 bit color on the stock vs 8 bit on the replacement, but that may just be something handled on the display once it has the data. I don't know enough about the communication protocol to answer concretely.

#9600 3 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I’ve played a lot of Stern LCD games. The black levels and the viewing angles are superior. Last night a small group was playing R&M back and forth from Stern LCD. One comment from a friend viewing R&M off center, “Whats up with those black levels? Looks really bad.”
Now he is a bit of a AV nerd, but still. I’m sure the stock display is “good enough” for most. My point is that they should buy higher quality components in general. Why so much hot glue? Are all of the connectors super cheap?
I think Spooky does a LOT of things right and love Charlie and crew. I just think there are areas they can improve to take it to the next level.

I think is is *good enough* for most people. Maybe they could have a premium tier with an ips/pva 1920x1080 screen (are their graphics already in the code at 720p, or is it 1080p and scaled down?) and less janky 3D printed playfield items (.20 nozzles or something so they don't look so rough). They really do give alot of pin for the money, and I think for the people that aren't crazy like me or a few others, it's enough.

#9606 3 years ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

When I type in Spooky pinball on my phone, on the results, the spookey.com result is a bunch of Japanese or Chines writing.
And below this it says the site may have been hacked.
Does Spooky know of this situation?

Ruh-roh.

Out of date wordpress (5/2019 version) is not a secure platform, there's a number of known exploits and way too many hacks and holes. Wordpress in general is a poor platform for security, even if you are up to date.

5.2.1 published vulnerabilites:
https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-2337/product_id-4096/version_id-335029/Wordpress-Wordpress-5.2.1.html

Hopefully it didn't corrupt their server and it's only the site that needs to be restored.

#9611 3 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Problem is it is noticeably poor quality vs the Sterns parked right beside it. So A) constant reminder to the owner and B) embarrassing to answer guests on why this one looks different, etc.
Spooky really should figure out a way to buy better screens in bulk to make that happen. These cruddy screens have been an issue since at least TNA.

Well, just $20 more would buy a much better panel if they decide to address the issue.

#9613 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Thats $15k out of Spooky's profit for something that very few people would even care about or notice.

Raise the price $25. That's $3,750 more money left in Spooky's pocket and a much better screen.

#9618 3 years ago

...and I daresay all of those combined would probably cost less than $25. As for the screen, as everyone's environment and personal preferences are different, Spooky could (should?) simply provide a quick guide to adjusting the existing panel for free!

...and just adjust the monitors with gamma on and brightness a little lower and contrast a little higher from the factory for the remaining machines.

#9629 3 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I modded my TNA to tilt the monitor back into the head to improve the viewing angle. It was extremely successful in terms of improving the contrast and saturation of the monitor from the players position.
Spooky took a step in the right direction by slanting the monitor on R&M, but it's no where near enough to fix the monitor PQ issues.
Might still be possible to tilt it further not sure if there is enough room behind it though.
Here is my post on that mod to TNA, note the overly optimistic outlook for R&M at the bottom. lol.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/total-nuclear-annihilation-cluball-welcome/page/125#post-5451935

But all that's crazy town workarounds for the root problem which is a poor TN panel that has bad off-angle viewing. An IPS or PVA panel that looks great from even extreme off-angle viewing solves that issue for like $20 at manufacture or about triple that if you do it later aftermarket.

#9634 3 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

For what it's worth, the monitor on mine looks great.

What are your brightness/contrast/gamma settings?

And which one do you have? Spooky seems to have used at least two models, and one TN panel has better specs than the other. Basically, the NT156 is the one you want if you had to choose a stock panel. It's better for the up/down off angle viewing, which is the important one for a pinball machine (player height) and it has a 10% brighter panel, and a backlight that's rated to last 50% longer:

NT156WHM-N50
viewing angle 45/45/20/40
Luminance 220 cd/m²
Color Depth 45% NTSC
15k hour backlight

B156XW02 V2
Viewing Angle 45/45/15/35 <-- 5 degrees less on up/down off-angle rating
Luminance 200 cd/m²
Color Depth 60% NTSC
10k hour backlight

These may not be the only two panels Spooky uses, but they're the two I have pictures of, so we know they use at least two different ones in R&M, and both are mediocre to varying degrees. But one is definitely better suited to pinball.

#9637 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Well I'm 6' and I can barely get to the very distinct and sudden washout angle by standing on tippy toes and stretching my neck... hardly manlet Pmsl
I simply don't get this display thing, unless a player is like 6'8" or more.... I suppose maybe that's getting more common these days?. Or maybe everyone's running like 9 degree playfield pitch or something ?
Anyway, each to their own I spose.

Or you have the "better" TN panel in yours. One way to know for sure...

#9643 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Is there an easy way to tell which display you have?
[quoted image]

On the ones I have pictures of it's a white sticker on the actual LCD panel itself (not the controller board). If that black thing is a paper or plastic cover, it's underneath that.

EDIT: Using your connector as the guide, the sticker with the model number should be underneath the black paper or cover thing where the arrow is pointing here...

model-location (resized).jpgmodel-location (resized).jpg

#9652 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I'm 6'3" and it looks fine if I look at it straight on or in my playing position. If I stand on my tip toes it does look washed out.
I made the recommended changes to the settings and I think it looks pretty good. On some of the screens with a black background you can see that the black levels aren't great but it looks great in the color scenes. Id be curious to see how this compares with the upgraded display. Pics are taken straight on with the lights off in the room.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

With an IPS or PVA panel the off angle viewing will be much wider, the blacks will be better and the colors should pop more due to better color reproduction.

Also, it would be interesting to know if Spooky has the assets at 1080p in the code and is scaling down to 720p. I doubt they are, but if that was the case, you might get a resolution bump, too.

#9653 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

As I said before it's by no means necessary to replace the screen. Just an OCD thing and some people enjoy doing this sort of stuff. And it's cheap - $70-80.

Or less. Some on alibaba I saw were in the $50 range with shipping for "samples" (i.e. qty 1).

But yeah, totally an OCD upgrade, but definitely improves the display visibly.

#9655 3 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Nope. 720p to save on size.

Yeah, I figured. Save the 1080p for the 500 unit Council of Ricks SLE and do a hardware rollup with all the changes and the playfield thickness restored.

#9660 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

So many of them these days are just flat with zero delivery....nothing like the old days of MM, MB, CV, AFM etc where they had actual characters.

They had actual up and coming Chicago actors for a number of them. You can hear the talent. Stern using whatever employee is walking by when they're recording leads to memorable-for-all-the-wrong-reasons performances like XMEN's infamous "Shitty Beast and Friends."

#9732 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Obviously...the point is all 8 legs I've received are misshapen in the same exact place...it's not random.

So maybe worn die at the manufacturer is actually the root cause...

#9734 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

But again...if everyone is buying the same legs from the same people, shouldn't all games be having this issue to some degree? Didn't Spooky already extend the built in leg protectors?
And ouch...I can completely understand the concern on a butter cab.

Stern doesn't use B/W legs.

JJP does have this issue to some degree, also. Didn't notice it with CGC, but only had one, so not sure if it affects their machines, too.

#9761 3 years ago
Quoted from bjsilverballs:

Anyone have a schematic for R&M? Specifically what power connection on what board controls what solenoids? Mine blew the left fuse on the upper board. Only replacement I had was a 3A fast blow which went right way. I bought some fuses off Amazon but won't have them until freakin' Wednesday. In the meantime I'd like to know what that fuse controls so I can troubleshoot. I've heard tales of the right flipper combined with magnasave but have no idea if that's true.
Can I throw a 5A fast blow in there or is that a terrible idea? This is why I want a schematic.
One more thing: those fuse holders are crap! I know they're not made by Spooky but Jeebus H! I know I'll be replacing those at some point. Ok, rant off. Please help me.

Ace Hardware carries Buss 3A, 4A, 5A Slo Blo (timed) fuses in a variety pack (and some single packs if you're lucky). Packages are yellow and they're usually on an end cap. There's an Ace about 7 miles from you. I would do that. Over fusing is a BAD idea, especially if you have a bad transistor or coil that caused the fuse to blow.

No other pinheads around you to borrow a couple 4A from? If you were close, I'd happily lend you a handful until you're straightened around.

While the fuse is blown, test the transistor to make sure it's not shorted and also the coil resistance (ohms) to make sure that one of those isn't bad. Because if they are, they will just blow the fuse again immediately.

#9794 3 years ago
Quoted from mariobeans:

Let me know if you have any suggestions that will give me consistent flipper tension.

No dynamic tension?

franknfurter.giffranknfurter.gif
#9828 3 years ago
Quoted from macethetemplar:

Good Evening All,
Trying to help my buddy get his machine together but the bolt that secures the head just drops through the center hole and there doesn't appear to be anything for it to thread to and no where that appears correct. Is this the correct or are we missing a part?
Thanks in advance for the help!
[quoted image]

That bolt looks kinda small. Fold the head forward again and look on the cabinet part that the head lines up with. Are there threads present? If so, your bolt's too small or too short. If not, then you need a T-nut or whatever Spooky uses there so the bolt has something to go into.

#9879 3 years ago
Quoted from rdonohue13:

Ok so I need help. My right lower flipper is sticking up. I get under and manually move it and it sticks so not EOS. I contacted the support line and they instructed me to loosen the Allen bolts move the linkage in and out and once it manipulates freely tighten the nuts back up. But that didn’t work and I’ve emailed again and not heard back. What else could it be? Where is it binding? This is getting extremely frustrating.

Coil stop ok? If no, that will cause the linkage to be stuck when extended. The most common cause of bad coil stop is the raised part in the middle comes loose, but it's most common on Stern because they are the connoisseurs of cheap, quality be damned.

Also, is there play with the shaft if you pull UP on the flipper bat and release? There should be about a credit card's thickness of play. If none, it binds on the nylon bushing top.

#9909 3 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Rather than just ghost this

This is the stub of a spooky-themed joke.

#10028 3 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Yeah I think it looks awful. All that light up there and the great light show will be blocked by a dark rectangle of metal. Simply loosen the screws and nuts on the right side of the clear plastic and it will probably last forever.

Or just make a spring loaded joint and rivet that to plastic on both sides, so only the joint is the spring loaded metal.

#10030 3 years ago

Yeah, something like that, but with small ramp-flap rivets on both sides at each corner of the flap to clean it up (and a wider flap) would be about perfect.

#10038 3 years ago
Quoted from Hjbondar:

So ... I am about 570. My son claims this game is overhyped, not fun to play and will devalue quickly. He has played it and I have not - but will do so Thursday. He is a much better player than I am. He also claims to have insider info claiming the producers took shortcuts that limited the potential of the game.
While I will make my decision after playing it on Thursday I am interested in the opinions of this austere group on his perspective? Thanks!

Is your son an "associate" at Gamestop, by chance? Because this is Gamestop-level "insider" information I overhear the staff there talking about all the time.

#10109 3 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Some muscular minion at Spooky had cranked the connectors down so hard that getting them off the power supply was one of the tougher things I had to do lately.

It really would be nice if Spooky made a $1 running change to those connectors on the back so there's a short series of wire going to a molex connector that allows it to be plugged and unplugged easily without unscrewing from the actual terminal blocks on the power supply itself. It's the way Spike is set up and the correct way to do it.

#10110 3 years ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

I don't know. I bet they wonder how we manage to make such good playfields.

JJP still has Bader nightmares from their first go-round with them where early WoZ playfield art came off in chunks, so they're understandably not romantic about Bader despite your obvious success with them.

#10127 3 years ago
Quoted from lapean111:

Found the blown fuse, can anyone tell me the spec for the fuse?
EDIT:
Its a 250v T4AL (So 4amp slow blow). Found a pack of them on Amazon.

Ace hardware has them and there are a number in St. Paul. Some are open until 9pm. BUSS fuses in a yellow package.

#10130 3 years ago
Quoted from lapean111:

Thanks man! Will run tomorrow, the time of night at which I should be driving has past due to today's celebrations.

I just realized that this is R&M and it uses the shorter fuses. I don't think Ace carries the short 20mm ones.

#10214 3 years ago

It was only a matter of time before this bare board got in the way of gravity or stupidity.
Gonna mess with the text a bit more and I have a translucent filament to use next time. Anyone else want to keep the sparky bits covered?
[quoted image]

That would look WAY better with a colored piece of PETG and a 3D printed frame only.

#10234 3 years ago
Quoted from Hjbondar:

BTW - it would be great if someone who has been through it could put together a consolidated list of the recommended adjustments to dial in this game. Perhaps that has been done????

Just go to the topic index and click on "Keypost summary" to sort by keypost name (it's alphabetical by keypost after you do this), then scroll down until you get to "TECH" and that should have all the tech tip posts grouped together for you.

#10236 3 years ago
Quoted from fnord:

We should key post this, I was having a pain in the ass time sorting through them

It's a new development. Robin added the keypost sorting to the pins on TV/Movies thread, which made this possible, so I went and added "TECH" to the keyposts here that related to fixes/adjustments so they can be grouped with one click for easy reference. It's a kludge band-aid way to handle sorting of keyposts which become a mess of tech, news, and general information the longer a thread gets. But it works to cut through the clutter and get to the tech. Hopefully it's adopted in other owner threads.

One refinement I'd like that I'll ask Robin about is to use upvotes as a secondary sort so it puts the most upvoted posts first in the keypost sort, meaning you'll see the most liked tech posts first in the sorted listing.

#10239 3 years ago

Make that a Keypost!

I can't. People around here have complained when I keypost my own posts. I was asked not to do it, so I don't now.

Yes, it's dumb. Welcome to pinside.

#10280 3 years ago

I sent emails to all the buyers of the Spooky Tibetan Breeze kit, but I'm posting this here in case some of the emails go to spam or aren't seen for some reason:

After doing some more research on Loctite 242 I included with the Tibetan Breeze Spooky kit, the MDS says it can melt or weaken plastic, so I’ve changed the instructions from saying Loctite is optional for the upper screws to saying not to use Loctite AT ALL on the upper screws - only use it on the bottom of the hex standoffs that screw into the flipper plate.

If you already installed the kit and the Loctite didn't spill past the threads on the upper screw onto the bracket base, you're fine. But if you have a problem with any of the brackets from Loctite contacting the plastic and weakening/melting it, contact me and I'll get you a replacement.

People that have orders that haven't been shipped yet will have the updated instructions. This is only for the kits that have already shipped, and it only affects installs where the optional loctite for the upper screw was done and it spilled up the threads of the upper screw and out onto the bracket base plastic. Fortunately, this is a very small subset and the chance of this happening is eliminated for kits moving forward with the instruction change.

#10283 3 years ago

Loctite 425 is rated and recommended for plastics or metal screws into plastic.
Its stupidly expensive.
Elmers white glue works efficiently as a thread locker on most plastics and is safe on all plastics.
In fact elmers glue looks and works about as well as loctite 425, its just not blue.
I used to use it for servo cases in high vibration applications.

Using loctite on the upper screw was really overkill, which is why it was optional in the instructions from the beginning. So changing that to not be done isn't really a big deal. The important connection is the hex standoff into the flipper plate and that will still use the loctite 242.

Loctite 425 is essentially just super-glue, and I didn't want to TWO kinds of loctite (giving people the opportunity to mix them up and do them backwards), when only the 242 is really needed for the standoff into the flipper plate.

1 week later
#10520 3 years ago
Quoted from planters49:

I had to adjust every single leaf switch on my game to make them register without needing a hammer to activate them. They should have been adjusted from the factory (this is a new in box pin afterall, not something off a route). This in addition to fixing numerous mechs that were put together incorrectly and also the right flipper switch needed lots of work to function like its supposed to. My game is a Jan 2021 build.

That's nothing. You should have been around for Heathkits.

#10524 3 years ago

That's what he was referring to; they did make one! [quoted image]

Yeah, that kit was strictly in the realm of "i wish" for me as a kid. We couldn't afford something that extravagant. It had to be one of the most expensive things in the Heathkit line. It'd be cool if Stern went retro and offered kits for a "The Pin" machine. That experience building electronic devices is really useful, so the sooner, the better, especially in the era of the pandemic. Online clubs could spring up around building it.

#10553 3 years ago

Currently unavailable, too bad.

Still available directly from Atrend:

https://www.atrendusa.com/10-woofer-spacer for $5.95

#10559 3 years ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

Second time this post has broken for me. Could be an opportunity for the mod community to figure out a more stable solution.
[quoted image]

It looks like it's mounted in the wrong place and the tension from the ramp trying to pull it over breaks the 3D print at the layer level. How's it mounted to the plastic? Moving it over a half inch would likely solve the problem. Also more infill could make it stronger. What does the infill look like for the tube section?

#10562 3 years ago

A supporting post like that with lateral forces and layer lines in that direction should have 100% infill IMHO. It's small enough. But the screw also isn't tight fitting in the middle. Should use a hex post and make the decoration just that.

Yes. A hex post with the 3d printed part that slides over it would be the strongest and most reliable solution. That way the metal post takes all the abuse.

#10570 3 years ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

Here is the inside of the post. It attaches to the plastic just south of the meeseeks target via three screws that come up from under the plastic into the bottom of the post.

Yikes. That's only like 10-20% infill at most. Nowhere near enough for the force that has on it.

There are THREE screws holding that to the plastic? Can you take a picture of the other side of the plastic, or take what's left of the base off the plastic so I can see where the screw holes are?

#10573 3 years ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

I can’t find a pic of the underside from the last time I fixed it, but here is the bottom of the post. There are 3 holes in the bottom of the post and the screws go through 3 holes drilled through the plastic to attach the post.
[quoted image]

Yeah, I'd get a hex post and attach that with a screw from the bottom side using the hole that lines up best with the ramp (though that will now put force on the plastic if the hex post isn't lined up directly below the ramp connector) and then drill out that whimsical trim and slide that over the hex post then attach the ramp. This is really corner cutting by Spooky and should be addressed in the unbuilt machines.

#10649 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I pre bought the fan as well, but let me tell you...that ps fan is always drowned out by the topper motor.

If I can get my hands on one of those toppers, it's on my "to make quiet" list.

#10650 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

I'd like to know what the difference in operation is in comparison to Stern flippers which do not have this collapsing issue.
The power supply is basically the same.. 48v and plenty of amperge. If I were to replace the entire Spooky flipper assembly with a Stern assembly, would the flipper behave the same as a Stern and not fallback unless under extreme duress?

The problem would still be there with Spike flipper hardware. It has to do with how P-Roc3/Spooky handle the flipper coils. I don't know if it's a firmware/hardware issue with P-ROC3 and there's a number of potential workarounds or if it's straight-up how it's being handled in the software for R&M, but it's a problem on P-ROC3 machines. Houdini definitely had it at least through the time we sold it.

#10652 3 years ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

You can borrow mine Vic when it gets in.

Thanks for the offer. Let me know. I'm positive there's a way to make it not so annoyingly loud.

#10655 3 years ago

At least one way: I got rid of my topper. The noise was too much. And I didn't care for the characters' pose. And maybe no one noticed, but an open portal on the show does not simply revolve in a circle, looked dumb to me. (I want my $0 back! ) Didn't help that a soffit in my ceiling kept me from pushing the game back as far as I wanted, besides.
I rewired the flashers into the backbox, and now the backbox lighting is no longer static. I mentioned this here a while back, but no comments were forthcoming...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aw-jeez-official-rick-and-morty-club/page/186#post-6030465

Did you sell it or are you selling it? I'd buy it if it's reasonable to use as a lab subject to figure out how to quiet them.

#10703 3 years ago

Has anyone here adjusted the voltage on the power supply? It was suggested to me and I have neither tested what the voltage is set to nor modified it yet.

You DEFINITELY need a multimeter on the output before, during, and after adjustment. Don't do it blindly. You can really mess up your machine.

#10735 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

The coil heat, while I appreciate that someone took the time to make a quality 'fix',

You're welcome.

Quoted from Zablon:

the price is outrageous to fix yet another design flaw.

Coil heat and weak flippers on long games is nothing new and isn't some "flaw" that the designers overlooked. LotR famously had weak flippers on long games where fade killed them 20 years ago. This is not a new problem and is simple thermodynamics mixed with the fact that today's games are longer and deeper and it's not out of the question that you would play a pin for an hour or two straight, sometimes in one game if you're a good player. You can mitigate the speed of temperatures rising in the coils, but you can't eliminate it completely, and it's like feedback on a guitar/amp combo, once it starts, it only continues to amplify unless there's a break or there's some active measure (cooling fans) to dissipate the heat generated.

Only two things have surprised me since I started down this flipper coil temp rabbit hole:

1. Stern Spike machines do not appreciably heat up while trapping up. Whatever they're doing is magic because Whitestar/SAM and B/W (JJP/Spooky) still heat up trapping.
2. No current manufacturer had done this flipper temperature testing previously. That's crazy.

I'm sure there will be other surprises, and once the JJP kits are shipping later this month, I'll move on to adapting the kit for Whitestar/SAM, then older Bally/Williams, and I'm betting I'll see excessive coil temps on long play sessions on at least some of those as well. But rather than guessing, I'll have actual temp data collected on the real machines.

#10738 3 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

vireland I am curious about this too. I was looking at your chart, and if I am reading it correctly the bottom left flipper doesn't have a heat issue, but the bottom right and top right get overheated. Is that accurate? In that case could the two flipper option you sell be used for the two right flippers?

Yep. Some people have done that configuration. Most R&M that are going out are the 3 flipper kits, but I have both 2 and 3 for this exact reason, and I will have a one bracket add-on soon for people that bought before the 3 flipper was available or got only 2 but later decide they want all three to be the same performance level.

The left doesn't seem to get as hot on R&M. But if both the right are cooled for a very long game the left might get hot enough to start to fade. In that case it might feel "weird" to have the right side shooting great and the left fading, but given that the left stays cooler longer, I don't think it would be an issue for most players.

#10741 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyohtay:

When we stream, we play for hours. I put the coolers on the lower flippers only at first and noticed severe fade and knockdown on the upper. Flipper fade isn't just about the force but also the response time. The shots on the right (especially the middle) are affected in if the timing is changing its harder to repeatedly hit your shot

Yes, absolutely. People think of fade in terms of weak flippers usually, but the first sign of fade is missed/bricked shots that could easily be made before the coils heated up. Once you're to the point of weak flippers too, you have the weakness AND the timing changes to deal with.

#10743 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyohtay:

BTW, I now have all my thermocouple parts, next time we stream R&M I will put them on and implement a flipper temp cam for everyone's enjoyment

Watching Karl DeAngelo stream jjGnR with the temp gauges for all the flippers and the left diverter on-screen, updating in real time is surprisingly compelling (example: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/909339890 ). It'll be weird when they're gone.

Post when you're going to stream with yours on-screen. I'll definitely jump in and watch for a bit.

#10752 3 years ago
Quoted from PDX-Mike:

Just purchased the three flipper kit from Pinball Life along with some other parts I needed!! Thank you Vireland!

Thanks for the support! Beware. Once you try them, it will be hard to go back to uncooled flippers for long-play sessions on other machines.

#10788 3 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I still get lots of rejects from the center scoop, I've bent it up and down, and it also has the washers. I really don't know what else to do, but would appreciate any guidance. I get like 60-80% rejects.

Record it in slo-mo on your camera phone and see what's causing the rejects. What's it hitting? Is it making it all the way in and bouncing out? Slo-mo is your friend.

#10929 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyohtay:

We'll be on tonight with R&M at 8 pm ET till 11 or so. Got the lower flippers instrumented with thermocouples. (twitch.tv/wilddogarcade)

Are you streaming with the flippers cooled or uncooled?

#10931 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyohtay:

Cooled. once the rig is all in place with the lighting it's a pain to lift the playfield to unhook.

Yeah, you can't just turn them off and test because having the brackets in place with the fans off would artificially increase the coil temps more than without them there.

#10936 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyohtay:

So, peak temp we saw on the right lower was 160F during a long extended multiball with the coolers.

Wow, I just checked it out, you weren't trapping and the temp just kept going up on its own. Crazy. Do you have a pic of the probe installation? Where was it on the coil? Did you verify the fan was actually blowing and something hadn't come loose?

EDIT: Fan died. Replacement fan sent. Whew! I feel better. Couldn't believe they were getting these temps WITH the cooling kit installed.

For JJP, I had to move to higher CFM fans because the coils just got too hot (Karl put up an uncooled 249.7F tonight on jjPotC). I'll have to keep an eye on Spooky streams of R&M. If it's still struggling on long sessions I might have to transition Spooky to the higher CFM fans, too.

When are you streaming R&M again?

#10955 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Your product seems cool, literally, but wouldn't it be awesome if pinball companies figured out how to design a full fidelity flipper that generates much less heat? If a game is being played for 60-90 minutes, it shouldn't require being fanned to function properly. It's 2021! Lower power consumption, higher performance...maybe we need Apple to solve this problem

I think there is a way to make flipper coils SLOWER to heat up, especially in hold mode for players that trap a lot, but not to eliminate it without external help like the cooling fans to dissipate heat.

Stern is doing something new/different with their Spike machines because they gain almost no temperature in hold. THE most surprising thing I've learned since I started down this rabbit hole. On SPIKE machines can hold for 30 minutes and gain 1F where you'd gain 50F or more with a Spooky/JJP doing the same thing, or god forbid a SAM/Whitestar Stern where you'd blow a transistor or fuse if you tried that. I'm GUESSING that it has something to do with the duty cycle they're using, but I haven't tested that yet. I'm very interested to see what the flipper hold duty cycle is on B/W vs SPIKE (Stern) vs Spooky/American (PROC) vs JJP and see if those results lines up with the temps observed.

But hold improvements aside, due to the way coils work, they're going to be subject to the laws of thermodynamics and generate heat over time as a byproduct of the action, and as the resistance in the coils builds up from the heat itself in a kind of feedback loop.

#10957 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

My point, which you have a difficult time groking, is Apple's M1 Chip is freaking amazing (https://www.theverge.com/2020/11/19/21574057/apple-m1-chips-laptop-performance-intel-qualcomm-competition). Very low power consumption, very high performance and amazing battery life.

But no moving parts and very low power. Apples to oranges.

#10960 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Not the point. The point is R&D...innovation. Obviously, different industries, but pinball has been around FOREVER and use to PUSH technology. Now, it's pathetic how we have a hodgepodge of mechs/electronics that don't work as good as the WMS products did 30 years ago. That's my point. Apple is always iterating and improving. Pinball is just focused on slapping stuff together from days gone by. I understand research can be expensive, but...

I think it's a combination of duty cycle plus the fact that modern games have MUCH deeper code now and are played for an hour or more per game if you're very good, where the classic B/W games are much shorter beginning to end overall. But I'm convinced a large part of the difference between JJP/PROC/SPIKE temps and classic fliptronics temps is mainly the duty cycle. I just have to prove it.

All of that said, however, classic B/W games DO fade if you trap enough and play long games. They're not magically exempt from the laws of thermodynamics. They just seem to manage it better.

#10963 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

fwiw, I'm really impressed with your approach for measuring all this shit. The analysis you do is impressive and I understand you are trying to solve a problem you didn't create God job, Morty

Yeah, it's really a crazy side trip. Never intended to be making cooling kits or trying to understand why flipper coils are getting so hot and how SPIKE has somehow cracked the code on managing trap up hold temps, but I think there's an answer there that will help get more reasonable flipper temps on long games by managing the main pulse and the hold cycle better. I'm just shocked that none of the current pin manufacturers have done this investigation work on their own system! It's not brain surgery, it just requires some methodical investigation and can really help their products!

Lucky for them I'm a very good driver.

#10967 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I appreciate your kind words, and I also have no problem with people that are offended by Apple. Different strokes.

While we're talking Apple, please walk over and slap whoever is in charge of the HomePod software. We're trying to get off Echos due to Amazons privacy abuses and terrible Sidewalk initiative, but Apple is making it REALLY HARD. Whoever thought running the Homepod processing off specific user's phones has never used it in a family in real life. I don't care who wants to add something to the shopping list, and neither should the HomePod. REALLY bad real world usability (they don't have the per user nonsense in Apple Europe's HomePods, BTW).

#10974 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyohtay:

So, I have a strange problem. If my game is off and I leave it plugged in I get a thump through the speaker system every 2-3 minutes. If I unplug the cable to the amp it goes away. I have plugged and unplugged the audio cable both on the computer and the amp to make sure they are properly seated with no change. Anyone else experience this?

Anything plugged into the service outlet in the cabinet?

#10980 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyohtay:

Nope, nothing extra plugged into that. it seems like something in the system is building up and discharging. Wonder if it is the power supply doing that? I need to trace the wiring out and see what could possibly still be hot even with the cabinet power switch off. Also sent a tech question to spooky to see what they come up with.

Yeah, that's why I asked if anything was plugged into the service outlet. Is your house ground for outlets solid or is it an older house?

#10983 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyohtay:

90s house. all the wiring for the arcade is new this past summer with 2 separate 20 amp circuits for the arcade alone. This machine is plugged into the GFCI. The machine has done this since I purchased it, I just was keeping it unplugged when not in use, but now its become time to figure this out. TNA doesn't have this behavior. I'm going to track down what inside the cab is 'hot' and see if maybe there's something being picked up by an unshielded cable (which is everything really). There are a lot of high voltage wires run with low voltage and signal wires. might be time to separate those out into different bundles and do some wire route cleanup.

Pretty crazy.

I'd be sure to check BOTH power supplies. Maybe take a picture so you know how to put it back then disconnect everything from the front of the large 48V power supply and then wait and see if it happens, then if it still does, hook all that back up (correctly according to your pictures!) and do the same process for the small 12v/5v power supply as well and see if you still get the issue with the output from that completely disconnected.

Also, do you have very dry air with lots of static electricity? What's the humidity level in the room?

#10988 3 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Quick thought re. Flipper Heat:
Perhaps eliminating the Flipper Cancel for Mode Starts/Vids, make it the Launcher or MagnetSave Button? I know most peoplewho are canceling out tend do mash the buttons on the flippers a bunch while waiting for gameplay to resume?
Not a ton of flips...but every little bit has to help?

My *guess* would be that doesn't add much to the overall heat progression.

#11002 3 years ago
Quoted from mariobeans:

I've been curious how their new chips are performing. Didnt they move away from intel?

With AMD and Apple eating Intel's lunch and Intel having nothing anywhere close to release to compete, it's looking like Intel may be done. Really.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 399.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Bent Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, IN
$ 28.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 238.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 60.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinhead mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 34.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

458 posts in this topic match your search for posts by pinmonk. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aw-jeez-official-rick-and-morty-club?tu=pinmonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.