(Topic ID: 257850)

Official Rick and Morty Club - You are not like other carbon based life forms.

By TheNoTrashCougar

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6381 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3963 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3962 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3961 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3960 (resized).jpeg
RAM ALT Translite 2022.3.19 (resized).jpg
IMG_3481 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_6211325_0 (resized).png
IMG_1914 (resized).jpeg
RAM L Loop Guard fail2b 2024.3.24 (resized).jpg
b5f006fa-9417-42d1-8730-250ad8488fb6.__CR0,0,1080,1080_PT0_SX300_V1___ (resized).jpg
P3230229 (resized).JPG
P3230228 (resized).JPG
rm-bcm (resized).jpg
20240213_184156 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

106 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #256 Rules posted by Eric as of Feb 2020 Posted by epthegeek (4 years ago)

Post #510 R&M Options Posted by Morinack (4 years ago)

Post #589 Useful post for coin door comparison. Posted by NeilMcRae (4 years ago)

Post #637 More code rules - Adventures full lost Posted by epthegeek (4 years ago)

Post #745 Club thread reminder. Posted by TigerLaw (4 years ago)

Post #748 Cards for the game rules and what not. Posted by Coindropper (4 years ago)

Post #751 Darker outline for instruction cards. Posted by Coindropper (4 years ago)

Post #976 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Wireform ball launch and coil adjustment Posted by timmmmyboy (4 years ago)

Post #1006 TECH:Pitch recommendation from Scott. Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gstellenberg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11486 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Flipper collapse/knockdown is part of the P-ROC system for now. Its not Spokky's fault, its just something to work trough.

Quoted from metallik:

Data East got PWM flippers working in the 80s, why can't P-ROC get them working just as well decades later?

I was just alerted to these posts in this thread. I'd have responded immediately had I read them when first posted.

Please stop with the libelous comments and untruths. I talk pinball with pretty much everybody who asks, whenever they ask. You could at least contact me and ask before posting comments making assumptions about the hardware. As I discuss with everybody who asks, flipper knockdowns and such are well understood (literally every relevant detail about them) and are the primary reason EOS switches exist (secondary reason: to have exact-length flipper pulses matched to each flipper's throw, regardless of where the ball contacts the flipper). Flipper mechs without EOS switches can suffer from knockdowns. Flipper mechs with EOS switches can resolve knockdowns with hardware and/or software designed to do so.

Technical explanation follows:

The P-ROC/P3-ROC implement (and have since day 1) "switch rules". These switch rules enable low latency coil responses to switch events. That means you can configure the hardware to immediately flip a coil in response to a flipper button, and that's why you don't see lag between button presses and coil activations that you would see if you implemented flipper firing in software. You can do the same with EOS switches... tell the hardware to immediately fire a flipper in response to an EOS opening (or closing, depending on your polarity). Caveat... you don't want the flipper to refire when you release the button, so the EOS rules have to be added and removed dynamically when the button is pressed/released. This would cause a couple of corner cases due to latency between the actual button press and when software learns of the button press. So a few extra software commands are needed to deal with those corner cases. That's it... 100% working flippers with no knockdowns using the P-ROC/P3-ROC hardware that'll work even with the first release of the P-ROC firmware in 2009 and with both dual-wound and single-wound coils. The only downside to the extra software commands is that they'll have a tiny affect on the timing of twitch flips or tickles with some coils, though I've never heard any complaint about that (it's a couple dozen milliseconds max).

Rewriting the libelous statements above correctly: Games with P-ROC/P3-ROC require EOS switches to be able deal with knockdowns, and they'll need a few additional software commands to close up timing holes.

Yes, we can add functionality to the P-ROC / P3-ROC to completely handle all of this in hardware, just allowing software to set up slightly more complex "flipper rules", and we've talked to various game manufacturers about doing that. We've scoped the change and have scheduled it into our dev roadmap. That will eliminate the need for a few lines of code, and it would also eliminate the timing effect on tickles. As such it'll be nicer for programmers, but not fully necessary, hence the lower priority.

If you don't know me, I'm incredibly proud of our hardware. It's changed more of the pinball landscape than most people realize, and I work hard to address usability issues with all of our products (control system, P3 machine, etc). If you think the hardware simply can't do something properly, shoot me a PM, and let's chat about it. That said, please make sure to report behavioral issues with your machines to the machine manufacturer. They'll support you with the machine. Then they'll communicate with me on any relevant feature requests or bug fixes on the P-ROC/P3-ROC boards, and we'll all discuss the appropriate actions. (Note - most companies just use our P3-ROC, PD-LED, PD-16, and SW-16. Some also use our power entry. All other boards in your machines are likely not ours.)

- Gerry
https://www.multimorphic.com

#11498 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

May I suggest, instead of getting pissed when folks call out badly-working flippers.

Not at all pissed about that. I'm upset about the comments saying that knockdowns are "part of the P-ROC system" and that P-ROC controlled flippers can't behave as well as Data East flippers from the 80s, both of which are pretty much the definition of libel in that they're incorrect and undeservedly damaging to our reputation/business.

I'm not upset about discussions for improving your flippers, and I agree that it's a worthwhile discussion and hopefully results in improved performance. I think I pretty thoroughly explained everything, but your response still suggests some misunderstandings. So let me address a few points.

The flippers are the most important part of the game.

I agree.

I've got R&M next to an AIQ and the difference in flipper action is very noticeable between the two games.

There are lots of differences between the two games... coils, mechs, power filtering, etc, and both of those games have a lot of differences from Fliptronics. What specifically are we talking about now? Knockdowns? As discussed above, games with P-ROC can/should be made to operate without knockdowns. If your flippers are getting knocked down, proper EOS rules (whether hardware or software) will fix that.

Please do whatever you can to address this issue.

What would you like me to do besides explaining why you have knockdowns, propose the software commands that will close any logic gaps due to timing, and schedule work on the implementation of a complex "switch rule" that eliminates the need for those software commands? That's what I did, and then you attacked again.

The repeated complaints in this thread are absolute proof the flippers in R&M don't work as well as Stern or other current games.

I can't speak to R&M flippers vs Stern or other games. P-ROC is used in a lot of other games, including hundreds running fliptronic boards and many running varying configurations of coils / mechs / voltages / etc. Do P-ROC-controlled WPC/Stern games have the same problems? I can speak a bit to Houdini, which runs P-ROC and did have a knockdown issue. Josh and I chatted, and he implemented a change. I haven't been told of any knockdown issues there since an EOS-based software change was made. That said, I believe Houdini has dual-wound coils, and that's an important difference. If R&M tells the hardware to issue a re-pulse on an EOS event, but the re-pulse is configured to be too weak, it won't keep the flipper up. Lots of variables, yet your conclusion is always "cause, P-ROC". BTW, Eric and I have chatted too, and we chatted again today.

It appears the answer is because your flipper code runs in software, and not as a hardware implementation?

I'm not sure how you concluded that from the explanation. I'm pretty sure the P-ROC is the only control system in pinball that uses hardware logic to control flippers (in an FPGA and as configured by software). I'm pretty sure every other pinball control system uses software (usually in a local microcontroller). There are some trade-offs. Our control system can and does react faster to switch events than every other system out there. That said, for more complex flipper control logic, we either need more complex switch rule support in our FPGA firmware, or software needs to send a couple of extra commands, and that's exactly what we're talking about here.

If you want to discuss more specific details in private, please PM me.

- Gerry

#11506 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

On other platforms, my goal is to adjust the EOS at the very end of stroke (for maximum strength). On JJP games, this works great. Is this the same on P-ROC/P3-ROC?

That sounds like the right approach for any machine... maximize flip strength throughout the stroke (if software is using EOS to turn off flip power rather than a timed pulse) and have any knockdown-protecting re-flips activate as soon as possible.

Quoted from snaroff:

One question: The upper flipper on R&M doesn't have an EOS switch and I occasionally get knockdowns on the upper flipper (though not nearly as bad as the lower flippers that deal with the pop bumper and scoop VUK). Does this mean I will need to live with the knockdowns on the upper flipper?

Not necessarily, but the implementation trade-off is heat. The hold PWM can be increased to hold the coil stronger (I assume that's what the hold strength settings are doing for the lower flippers). EOS-based re-flips don't require super strong holding power. Since the flipper doesn't have an EOS, I'd guess it originally had a dual wound coil, and that would hold better without increased PWM (not perfectly, but better). If it was originally wired that way and if the circuit was still available in the game, switching to a dual-wound coil might be a useful mod.

- Gerry

#11590 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

So...at this point, my biggest concern is after 20-30 minutes of continuous play, my flippers totally lose their snap. The left ramp becomes almost impossible to hit. If the implementation changes that fix the knock-down/stuck-up problems result in much hotter coils, then it's a tough pill to swallow.

It's likely unrelated to the changes that re-engage the flipper when the EOS opens. It's more likely fatigue due to stronger hold PWM to be more resistant to knockdowns. Eric can speak better to that, or perhaps you could try lower hold strength settings and rely more on the EOS re-flips.

Quoted from snaroff:

A more effective approach is to understand the heat requirements for the P-ROC implementation tweaks. Even if my heat measurements help explain why my flippers are fading after 20-30 minutes, it doesn't help suggest a more efficient, cooler running implementation. gstellenberg?

The "P-ROC implementation tweaks" are just dealing with re-flips and state control relative to the EOS. They have nothing to do with the single-wound coil heat profiles due to various PWM frequencies. So no matter what your measurements are, they won't suggest doing something different relative to the EOS. They could just impact how strongly the coils are pulsed for hold strength, which is purely a software choice.

- Gerry

#11595 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I found this interesting link that helped me understand some of the high level tradeoffs (https://pinballmakers.com/wiki/index.php?title=Controlling_Flippers).

Glad my writings are helpful, even if more out there than here.

Quoted from snaroff:

Also found an interesting discussion on the heat implications of single wound coils from 2 years ago with epthegeek (below). Since R&M uses WMS flippers (which had dual wound coils), it's just odd that R&M doesn't have dual wound coils considering the heat being generated.

I don't understand your conclusion there. Yes, keeping on the hold winding in a dual wound coil won't generally generate as much heat quickly turning on/off the only winding in a single wound coil to hold the plunger in. It can depending on the impedance of the coil and drive parameters, but that's a much deeper conversation. The main reason single wound coils are generally selected over dual wound is cost. The coils are less expensive (less copper, one less lug, less labor), and they needs only one drive circuit rather than two. That cost savings doesn't imply the solution is worse. It just comes requires more commands for EOS support and PWM hold parameters tuned to the needs of the machine (based on the coil impedance, air flow, plunger and coil stop material, etc).

You would generally have success grabbing a dual-wound coil designed for 70v pinball games, putting it into a 48v pinball game, and using the same drive parameters games have been using for decades. With single wound, it's an entirely different story at 70v vs 48v. Using the same single wound coil at 70v would need a lower duty cycle PWM than at 48v to hold the plunger in. Run the 70v duty cycle on a 48v system, and you'll get knockdowns more often. Those knockdowns will be very slight if EOS reflips are implemented to respond quickly, but they'll still be there. So... it takes tuning.

Quoted from snaroff:

Stern clearly makes it work (with single wound coils), but they also have custom controller boards with magic that might help.

I find it really interesting that of all of the differences between the machines, and despite my explanations, some of you keep going back to "controller board" differences. The Stern controller board isn't magical. It doesn't do anything fancy. It's a microcontroller that responds to switch events and issues specific drive requests (as programmed by the code) to the drive circuits.. The P-ROC controller board isn't magical either. It also doesn't do anything fancy. It's an FPGA-based controller that responds to switch events and issues (as programmed by the code) to the drive circuits. Both are just tools. Both can do the same thing. I explained a couple of the tradeoffs of microcontroller vs FPGA in a previous post, but they're immaterial to this discussion. The primary difference with Stern is that they've had (and required) decades to tune their systems. Remember Stern's Lord of the Rings flippers?
Their single wound coils would heat up quickly, making the ramps unhittable after 10-20 minutes. I think Pinball Life even made stronger coils that wouldn't suffer as much from the heat build-up. I'm glad to hear they've since tuned their drive parameters and improved their performance. It's not magic, it's just a lot of engineering.

Quoted from snaroff:

One question: Do most of your P-ROC clients use dual-wound coils?

The P-ROC works with dual wound and single wound without prejudice. Many are using P-ROCs with Stern Whitestar and SAM machines without issue (single wound). Same for WPC machines (dual wound). Some new MFGs are using dual wound and some are using single wound. Again, dual wound is easier to get right. Single wound results in less BOM cost but likely requires more engineering to get the drive parameters perfected.

- Gerry

#11629 3 years ago
Quoted from ForwardToThePast:

Hey Gerry, nice to see you here. I don't have my R&M yet, so all of these discussions are theoretical to me, but as an electrical engineer, software developer, and end user, I may be able to provide some perspective.

Well said, Cory. Thanks.

I definitely don't expect end users to know (or need to know) the details of the hardware and how it can be used to control flippers, but I'm happy to answer questions about it. It's only public claims that the P-ROC is the source of issues that are problematic and damaging, especially when those claims aren't backed by real data. (You can replace P-ROC with any vendor supplied product.)

Everybody can and should expect their machines to be as perfect as possible from every manufacturer. If they aren't working, talk to the manufacturer and let them work with their supplies to find the root cause of any issues. Spooky and Multimorphic have an interesting relationship because Multimorphic provides Spooky their control system boards, and Spooky provides Multimorphic things like printed plastics. So we're both suppliers and customers to each other.

If anybody thinks there's an issue with a printed plastic on their P3 machine, please report it to Multimorphic. We'll figure out if we handled and installed it properly and consult with Spooky if necessary. We'll also make things right with the P3 customer. If you think there's an issue with your R&M flippers, talk to Spooky. They know the most about the flippers, coils, wiring, etc in their machines, and they'll consult with us if necessary.

- Gerry

#11757 3 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

I don't know if I should try bumping up the right flipper strength (currently at 30), or go back to the original pulse cycle and bring back the knock-downs?
vireland, any chance the stronger fan you're using for JJP will fit the Spooky purple mounting bracket?

Bumping up flip strength to try to overcome power degradation due to single-wound coils heating up and/or installing fans to keep the coils cooler in the hopes of minimizing degradation are both not addressing the root cause. I mean, do them if they help, but I'd be looking for ways to keep the coil from heating up in the first place. The code suggestions I gave address knockdowns and any corner cases resulting from them. So now the programming/settings tradeoff is how strongly to hold the flipper up (which creates more heat ) vs how often to re-energize the coil to overcome knockdowns (which also generates heat, but not nearly as much as constantly pulsing the coil). It sounds like Eric implemented the fast re-energize code such that it can react almost instantaneously. So if it were me, I'd leverage that more and lower the hold power to reduce heat.

Heat is obviously one big downside to using single-wound coils. Step 1) optimize the drive parameters of the flipper to minimize heat buildup. (I don't know what settings are provided in R&M to allow you to tune these things.) Step 2) use other means to reduce the heat.

- Gerry

#11759 3 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

I tried the original pulse cycle and the flippers started to fail, like the ball would hit the flipper and it would totally collapse.
Thanks for the info. I have my hold set to the lowest setting. I tried bumping the flipper strength to 35 and the left ramp was still an impossible shot.

Sounds like there might be more going on with your machine causing the coils to have to work much hardware than on other machines. Probably best to discuss with Spooky support and isolate what's different.

- Gerry

#11768 3 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

Gerry, does the system design support the idea of adjusting hold power dynamically based on game events?

<technical discussion of possible flipper-control software>

Yes, you can do all of that in software, and timing wouldn't be an issue at all. What you've described is also a workaround. The hold power can be set so it's just strong enough to hold the flipper up in most cases. Knockdown prevention reflips should be 100% reliably. The only tricky case is where another downwards force (eg. a second ball) hits the flipper before a reflip gets the flipper to reactivate the EOS. That exceedingly rare case is easily detectable in software, which could send a secondary reflip.

Your idea would more intelligently detect certain cases where a knockdown is more likely to happen and increase hold power to avoid an EOS event, but it's unnecessary.

- Gerry

#11783 3 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

Sure, unnecessary for control, but a potential strategy to lower power consumption which should result in reduced coil temps. Overly simplified, if the majority of gameplay requires say 40% hold power to mitigate reflips, but a couple specific conditions require 100% hold power it seems you could significantly lower the average versus trying to statically split the difference at 80%. I'm making up numbers of course, but it should be straightforward to log total hold "on" time to see how much this approach could save.

With and without your suggestion, it's best to run the hold at what works for "the majority of gameplay" (your hypothetical 40%) or even weaker. With your suggestion, you'll increase the hold power at well-known times and maybe eliminate some cases of re-flips. Without your suggestion, you'll rely on re-flips in the rare times when they're needed. Occasional re-flips won't contribute much or at all to the overall heat profile. So, best to K-I-S-S.

Quoted from RobF:

Certainly off topic and happy to move to a dedicated thread if so desired.

Agreed - I've addressed the untrue accusations about the P-ROC (by others, not @RobF) with perhaps too-detailed descriptions of how everything works. I've discussed the code with Eric, and it sounds like the suggestions have helped significantly for most of you. Those of you still having issues likely need to adjust your hold strengths or tweak your mechanicals. If your game isn't enjoyable because of ongoing flipper issues that weren't addressed by the latest release, please contact Spooky tech support, which has always been great. If they need any more input from me, they'll ask me directly.

I'll duck out of this thread now. If you want to talk about control system features or how to implement various algorithms (for pinball/flippers or otherwise), I'm happy to discuss in the #pindev slack channel, where many pinball machine and software developers hang out and discuss everything about pinball dev. You can PM me for an invite.

- Gerry

1 month later
#12735 3 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

I've tweaked my flippers to latest update and did not see any knockdown issues in a short game, will see how rapidly the coils heat up on a long playing game but most R&M games are short.

Just watched your video. Is the flipper spring stock? The stronger the spring, the more it'll want to pull down the flipper and the more coil strength (higher PWM setting) it'll take to hold it up, which of course generates more heat.

- Gerry

#12737 3 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

I'm guessing they're stock, first owner may have changed them but I doubt it.

Ok - it looked unusually large to me. Maybe an optical illusion.

- Gerry

#12786 3 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Good news!!! Sent an email to Spooky service about the springs, sounds like this is the answer to the flipper problems.

It makes perfect sense. The spring's entire purpose is to bring the flipper down. If it's too strong, it'll bring the flipper down when you don't want it to. Software can try to overpower it, but that'll just create more heat, causing flipper fade.

Glad to hear that swapping it is helping many of you. Hopefully it's the final piece to the puzzle.

- Gerry

#12788 3 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Thanks for noticing how big the springs were and bringing light to the issue. You've given a lot of owners a valid answer to months of frustration.

Owners, a control system designer, and a fantastic software developer too!

You're welcome. Fingers crossed.

- Gerry

4 weeks later
#13809 2 years ago
Quoted from Baboon:

Yep , you can buy it at Multimorphic directly

We don't currently sell a pop bumper LED board. The one in R&M isn't from us. I think it's a PBL board.

We do have a bunch of LED boards on our site... all of which we use in our P3 games, but the only boards used in R&M from us are the P3-ROC, PD-16, SW-16, and PD-LED.

- Gerry

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, IN
$ 11.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 238.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Trade
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 13,500.00
$ 300.00
$ 399.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Bent Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

9,699 (OBO)
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gstellenberg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aw-jeez-official-rick-and-morty-club?tu=gstellenberg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.