(Topic ID: 257850)

Official Rick and Morty Club - You are not like other carbon based life forms.

By TheNoTrashCougar

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20,232 posts
  • 743 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 24 minutes ago by Zablon
  • Topic is favorited by 333 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6381 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3963 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3962 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3961 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3960 (resized).jpeg
RAM ALT Translite 2022.3.19 (resized).jpg
IMG_3481 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_6211325_0 (resized).png
IMG_1914 (resized).jpeg
RAM L Loop Guard fail2b 2024.3.24 (resized).jpg
b5f006fa-9417-42d1-8730-250ad8488fb6.__CR0,0,1080,1080_PT0_SX300_V1___ (resized).jpg
P3230229 (resized).JPG
P3230228 (resized).JPG
rm-bcm (resized).jpg
20240213_184156 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

106 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #256 Rules posted by Eric as of Feb 2020 Posted by epthegeek (4 years ago)

Post #510 R&M Options Posted by Morinack (4 years ago)

Post #589 Useful post for coin door comparison. Posted by NeilMcRae (4 years ago)

Post #637 More code rules - Adventures full lost Posted by epthegeek (4 years ago)

Post #745 Club thread reminder. Posted by TigerLaw (4 years ago)

Post #748 Cards for the game rules and what not. Posted by Coindropper (4 years ago)

Post #751 Darker outline for instruction cards. Posted by Coindropper (4 years ago)

Post #976 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Wireform ball launch and coil adjustment Posted by timmmmyboy (4 years ago)

Post #1006 TECH:Pitch recommendation from Scott. Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ceemunkey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17368 2 years ago

I'm so close to being in the club... I don't wanna jinx it and favorite this topic just yet but my BSE (1 of only maybe 20 in Australia) is supposedly in a truck and on its way here!

2 weeks later
#17574 2 years ago

Wooooo hoooo! Finally I am in the club (so is my son who, like meseeks was roped into it).

I think my machine has an issue though because I've noticed the score increasing steadily while the ball is cradled on the flippers (it just keeps counting up in very small increments). I've done the obvious test (put machine into switch test and bang the playfield a bit) but nothing fires. Is there any sort of known issue, or is this normal for this machine ie some mode i'm unaware of? It certainly doesn't seem normal...

I have noticed that the previous owner installed 2 MRS switches on 2 of the orbits. They seem to operate as normal in switch test though...?

20220426_205946 (resized).jpg20220426_205946 (resized).jpg
#17577 1 year ago

Sooooo... Spent all day working on 2 weird issues on my newly delivered R&M. First off, huge huuuuge thanks to Sonic who helped me troubleshoot an issue with the magnetic switch which was triggering without being hit. We eventually pinpointed the problem to some interference from the rear diverter coil - just spun the switch around so it was pointing downwards, and therefore a little further away from the coil - and the problem was resolved! So grateful for the assistance - and if anyone was curious about going the MRS switch route, Matt is definitely your man.

After this, I realised that the rear diverter itself wasn't working - it would flick into position to divert around the inner loop, but then could not switch position to allow the portal shot from right orbit. After testing the coil it was clear one direction was ok, but then it would get stuck. Inspecting the action of the coil + plunger, I could feel it binding on something at the end of stroke, so took off the ramps and house and made sure the diverter itself wasn't getting hung up on anything (it wasn't). Then inspected the coil further and found it was the plunger getting bound inside the coil sleeve. Since I don't have a spare coil or sleeve right now, I checked inside and discovered a small burr inside the sleeve, which I gently sanded down (using a cobbled together device made from tools and Dremel accessories). Cleaned and replace everything and we are back to normal operation!

I will replace the coil + sleeve still I think - I have a feeling the malfunctioning orbit switch may have been doing something to the diverter coil making it overheat and warp the sleeve. For now though its all working smoothly, and have to say this is ONE HECK of a game - brilliant!

Edit: also this is the first butter cab I've owned - holy cow it's a thing of absolute beauty...

#17602 1 year ago

Ok, its been one whole week of ownership, and just have to pop in here and say this machine is absolutely incredible!

My favourite pins - the ones I really love, are those where you can literally feel the enthusiasm, heart and soul of everyone who designed and worked on it and this definitely seems to be one of them. It shoots great, so many nice little touches here and there, the theming has been done almost perfectly, the lights, and oh my gosh the SOUND on this thing, amazing! It's a joy to play it - excellent work Spooky and team!

This and ACNC have been the real standout 2 pins I've played the last year, and I'm 100% on board the Spooky train now.

3 weeks later
#17693 1 year ago
Quoted from May:

Is there a list of the different dimensions?
What is the purpose of the dimensions? Collecting megaseeds...

Dimensions cause megaseeds to appear, but also change the game by either:

- changing appearance/sound only
- scoring on certain aspects
- disabling certain things (eg slings)

It's actually a really cool aspect to the game. Plus megaseeds seem to be the way to really boost your score - if you collect a lot, and then get a high scoring ball the bonus can be pretty huge.

1 month later
1 week later
#17895 1 year ago

This may be a silly question, but I can't seem to find the answer for it. How does Pickle Rick mode get qualified? Is it just totally random ie, it qualifies itself randomly after hitting both ramps? So you hit both ramps, then either start an adventure at the scoop or if the inserts light up - Pickle Rick at the garage?

3 months later
#18891 1 year ago

I realised last night that I have not seen Pickle Rick mode for what seems like about 100 games. I know it doesn't come up often but I'm sure I would have gotten it by now even by accident, because I have no trouble hitting the garage shot. Are people on the latest code still seeing this mode?

1 week later
#18935 1 year ago

I wouldn't trade this game for an AIQ. I had a premium for about 8 months and quite honestly while the layout and shots on it really are out of this world (those tower and Captain Marvel shots wow), it's surprisingly quite dull to play due to the music/callouts/animations. Custom code helps a little bit, but it's a bit of a missed opportunity for me - it could have been so great, but it falls short. Quite odd because I do miss shooting it, but if I had one again I think it would only last a few weeks.

#18951 1 year ago

Yeah, looks to me like a dead CMOS battery. Should be an easy fix to replace it. If you connect a usb keyboard to the computer you may be able to get past that and still get the game to boot.

#18953 1 year ago
Quoted from Var1AbL3:

I helped someone with a Halloween that had a similar issue. Turned out (in his case) the SSD wasn't reading properly. He was able to fix his game by getting a new drive. With R&M it's a SATA SSD so it's also possible just plugging the drive into another SATA port might work.
I highly recommend all Spooky game owners purchase new Name Brand (samsung, crucial, etc.) replacement SSD. Duplicate your game drive and swap to the more reliable SSD. Keep the original in your parts box as a backup.

Yep that was me - thanks again! The onboard SSD interface actually broke in the PC so it couldn't see the SSD drive anymore (which itself was still ok), so I had to use the spare sata SSD bay instead (had to buy a sata SSD drive as its a different interface, but it wasn't expensive).

This looks a little different in that it's not just going straight into the computer's BIOS ie not finding a boot device - so it's probably just the battery in this case.

I totally agree though it's worth having a backup of your game image on a spare drive, it's an inexpensive and fairly easy thing to do.

#18956 1 year ago

Wow, so with one computer type you have to manually jumper 2 pins to get the PC restarted, and with the other type you actually have to re-image the software? That's pretty full on for simply replacing a CMOS battery.

2 weeks later
#19120 1 year ago
Quoted from MrSmiley:

Had to leave the club today and traded my R&M for a Mando LE. Huge R&M fan, love the theme integration, dialed in machine which shoots pretty good compared to others but it remains a brick fest compared to most Stern machines. Flippers even when adjusted and pin monk cooling kit installed feal weak and the layout doesn't work either.

Wow - pretty amazing how opinions can differ, I thought the layout of this machine was totally amazing!

Agreed it's still a hard shooter for sure though, especially compared to pretty much any Stern - it does take a lot of practise and dialling in your shots to generate any kind of flow on this game, but once you can, it really REALLY takes off!

#19148 1 year ago

Congrats on the purchase - you've just acquired one of the best pins ever made!

1 month later
#19345 1 year ago
Quoted from ShinyballsOz:

Hey, has anyone else had crazy scores coming off the spinner loop? My RnM is doing really stupid 10xskillshot and crazy 300 combo multiple bonuses on the spinner loop on the first shot etc, and handing out 20million like it's candy.
I've replaced the roll over switch, hardwired the spinner wires, they had a connector, and checked all switches to be fine.
I'm perplexed mMorty... Can anyone help?

When I first got my machine (used) it had an MRS switch in the loop. When the loops diverter coil fired it would basically send that switch into a frenzy and award millions of points. Eventually I had to re-install the MRS switch with the end facing away from the coil and the problem went away. Sounds like you have a roll over switch though so I guess it won't be that...

#19352 1 year ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

How far is the metal rectangle in the MRS switch to the spinner? I have my MRS with the metal at the lower point, and it's still like 2.5 inches away. I haven't had any issues. Could it be an issue with the switch or the way it's soldered?

I did have help from Sonic who basically told me magnets are like black magic and you really can't predict how they will react with each other it doesn't seem to be exact or totally consistent. With his help all I had to do was turn the MRS switch 180 degrees. It's literally less than a cm or two difference with regard to actual distance from the coil but maybe its also how the alignment is too, and it certainly did the trick.

#19371 1 year ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Just catching up with MRS spinner switch going off.
Is mine the correct way round?
Thanks
[quoted image]

There doesn't seem to be a hard and fast rule about which way around it should be - as Sonic said to me there's a degree of total randomness to the way magnetic fields work. However if its the MRS switch getting affected by the coil, you'll see your score constantly going up as the switch repeatedly activates. If you were instantly awarded 20 million points, then it's perhaps not an issue with your switch.

On my machine, I would hear the diverter coil fire, then I'd see my score just constantly going up even with the ball cradled/stationary on the flipper. Also I should add that I only have one MRS switch and it's on the other side of the inner loop, ie not in the same position as yours - I actually still have a rollover switch there.

#19378 1 year ago

It is strange as had MRS over a year and today was the first time I noticed this happen.
Think the scores were awarded by the spinner.
Will do some testing tomorrow, thanks.

Yeah who knows - I mean, I bought my R&M from someone else - who installed the MRS, and when I asked them about it they had never seen that issue before.

Pretty easy to check the spinner though.

1 month later
#19613 1 year ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

is it hippy christmas? Roiland's case got dismissed and there's a new bug fix build of R&M available?!?!
Build 2023.03.22:
- Fixed: Crash if Adventure ball save time is set to "OFF" and an adventure starts with multiball.
- Fixed: If you: A) were in a dimension, and B) charged the meter to full to open the portal, and then C) Drained - the topper would keep running.
- Fixed: Blood Dome adventure high score when not in challenge wouldn't award/prompt.
https://soldmy.org/pin/rm/

I find it absolutely amazing that you are still working on this - the last updates with the added dimensions and challenge modes were brilliant. Thanks for continuing to improve this already stellar game!

3 weeks later
#19672 1 year ago
Quoted from guitarded:

In one dimension, you can Crank it for Megaseeds.
In another, it is disabled. Usually end up there when you need to use it.
This game has so many permutations that it can't possibly get old.

Absolutely agree - on the surface it look really simple but I think it's possibly one of the best coded games I've ever played - the fact that Eric has still been updating it with new dimensions just speaks volumes to its great design, he could just keep adding dimensions forever (lol I know he won't he deserves to put this game to rest).

Had a killer game on this last night - just hitting loop and garage and visiting dimensions and collecting megaseeds it was absolutely EPIC and I didn't even do more than 2 or 3 modes!

20230417_204140 (resized).jpg20230417_204140 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#19704 11 months ago

I think this is game is slowly nudging it's way into "Iron Maiden territory" for me (ie stone cold classic). All the games in my collection I love, but just one or two seem to lift themselves to even greater heights and in my opinion, IMDN is one of the most perfect pins ever made. It's just so satisfying to shoot, the play length is pretty much spot on (ball times are never too long, never too short) the code is so versatile for both new and expert players, and the ball just rips around the playfield, it's really something. Quite honestly, when I have a great game on R&M, it's right up there with it. Comboing left ramp, upper, loop garage, right ramp and repeat... when you are zoned in it's just amazing. Fully appreciate the difficulty of doing so, but when you are totally tuned in on this game there's really not much that comes close.

I mentioned it recently, but I had the best game ever on this just comboing everything, I was ripping the upper loop spinner off left ramp, nailing the garage shot over and over, jumping to so many dimensions, collecting megaseeds everywhere I absolutely obliterated my GC score and only started a couple of modes. The multiball on this is usually over in 5 seconds, but I was hitting jackpot after jackpot, getting the supers etc.

I do think this game really is somewhat of a hidden masterpiece - it's still rated pretty highly in the top 100 I know, but I could certainly see that new players on a machine that hasn't been dialled in might walk away from it. Yes, it does require a few tweaks to get it shooting so well - however, once it's done it's verging on pin-perfection.

2 weeks later
#19733 11 months ago

I can't see myself ever selling this one - but I say that about all my games.

1 month later
#19833 9 months ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

Yup, everything factory standard.
I more than doubled my usual high scores, and I couldn't believe how consistently I was hitting the loop to go through dimensions.
Not sure I'll ever have another game like that!

All of my best games on this machine have actually involved none of the modes - just blasting through dimensions and getting megaseeds. I think that's why this game for me is in my top #5 of all time. You can just shoot and combo it, enjoy the shots and still crack a massive score. Personally I think this game's code is pure genius. It really doesn't need a tonne of modes, and if they had the time and resources, they could just keep adding/changing dimensions. Just brilliantly simple - whoever designed this code (was it Eric?) needs some sort of pinball medal.

2 months later
#19911 7 months ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

New season trailer! Can’t wait to see which of these episodes make it into the pin as new adventures.

Ha ha - we can always dream.

BUT... maybe we'll get some more dimensions...? Depends if Eric is feeling extra-generous, I think the last update was a massive enough gift it was incredible. The beauty of this code though is there's no end to the dimensions he could add (not saying he has to work on this game forever, but still).

1 week later
#19937 6 months ago

Hmmmm anyone know why my R&M suddenly just keeps looping on the loading screen? It loads up until the progress bar gets to the end - then screen goes black for a second and goes back to the loading screen again (and just keeps doing it continuously).

I tried reapplying the last update - which completed, but didn't fix the problem. Yes I have contacted Spooky but its always nice when someone here has fixed your problem before.

2 weeks later
#19961 6 months ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Is everyone liking their cheater jerry ramp?
I’m a hard pass on it.

Me too - I'm really not one to change how a game plays/shoots, and one of the things I love about this game is nailing that super tough garage shot it's so satisfying. However, I would love it if Spooky/Eric coded in a "loser" Jerry shot, that would just be unbelievable (even though I'd never see it).

My game is still down - it's been 2 weeks now and I'm sad.

#19964 6 months ago

I certainly don't begrudge anyone changing their game - and admittedly it does look cool, so by all means go for it and let us know how you find the mod!

I just wonder if being able to hit it from another (possibly easier) shot will take away some of the satisfaction of hitting it from the upper right flipper. Won't know until you try.

Regardless - this game is just phenomenal. I've always liked it due to being a fan of the show - but it's simplicity hides a quite ingenious depth, and the geometry being so different just adds to the fun. That garage shot, as I've mentioned, is just so great and hitting the orbit 3 times in a row, then hitting the garage is just perfection. Add to that you get the staged portal ball and can keep the game flowing afterwards, is just insane. I think I actually like this game more now than when I first got it.

Edit: getting my lefts/rights mixed up again!

#19966 6 months ago
Quoted from centerflank:

You added an upper left flipper ?

Ha ha oops! It must have been in another dimension.

#19991 5 months ago

Bah - my R&M has been down for 3 weeks now and it's getting pretty depressing. It just sits there taunting me...

When I've got 8 other machines, but all I wanna do is play R&M speaks volumes about how great the game is. Man, do I miss that music blasting out in the game room...

2 weeks later
#20008 5 months ago

So my R&M is back up and running after Spooky sent me a new CPU + hard drive (thanks as always to AJ).

However - I have to say it's not the best situation for future repairs. As far as I can tell from what AJ said (and because I had to be sent a new CPU + drive pair), there is some sort of encryption between the CPU board and the disk. This means that if your SSD fails (which isn't beyond the realms of impossibility), you cannot just buy a new one, get a software image and DIY fix it. You will most likely always need a new CPU to go with it and it will always need to be built by Spooky themselves?

I was able to quickly fix my Halloween when the SSD failed just by buying a new drive and re-imaging it - i don't think you'll ever be able to do this with R&M.

It's a minor complaint, and I still think this game is incredible and almost certainly in my top 3 games of all time. However future "repairability" is always lurking in the back of my mind when I get a new machine, and given that I've had several SSD failures (across various devices) in the last couple of years this is something that should be easily fixable in my eyes.

#20010 5 months ago
Quoted from fnord:

R&M doesn't use TPM or anything outside the SSD for crypto. You can image a drive and use it on the same mb or replace the mb with the same model. I don't know what happened in your case, sounds like power surge with those parts down, that sucks.
When it comes time and all the spare minipcs are dead you'll be able to use any PC to keep it running. It doesn't worry me.

Interesting - because I tried swapping just the MB/CPU over first (with the same SSD), and it seemed like the drive wasn't even recognised. It wouldn't work until I'd replaced both the board and the drive together.

Also AJ stated that he was unable to provide a software image for that very reason.

It would be awesome to use any mini-pc to keep it going (as is definitely the case with Halloween), but I'm not sure it's quite so straightforward here.

#20011 5 months ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I’m heading overseas for a bit as of tomorrow and am hoping to sort out today with what I have avail (otherwise I would). I thought just following the instructions would be an easy fix.
Kind of annoying that this is even a thing with Spooky pins.
Edit: I was able to get this sorted. I ended up getting a wired (non-Apple) keyboard. Also, I didn't have to connect the two pins, when I saw the F1/F2 screen, it worked by just hitting Delete.

So I'm now having this same problem - if i switch on the machine I get nothing but a blank screen and the playfield lights come on but remain static.

If I remove the CMOS battery I will get the bios screen which I can get past using the keyboard, and the game will start successfully. If I put the battery back in, we go back to the blank screen.

Not sure what the problem is - I suppose it's some setting in the bios? So do I need to remove the battery to get to the bios, then re-do all the settings and put the battery back in?

Such a strange problem, and i've literally just replaced the CPU a few days ago.

#20013 5 months ago
Quoted from Jigz:

Sounds like your battery might need replaced (and your settings), have you checked this out?
https://soldmy.org/pin/rm/battery-replacement/

I just got the new board - but yeah i did try replacing the battery. I just don't get how I can actually boot the machine ok with *no* battery in the board (using a keyboard)?

I'm guessing when the battery is in there - somehow its using different BIOS settings and not able to boot? It's just really bizarre...

Edit: Well I went ahead and replaced the battery AGAIN, and went through all the bios settings and it's now ok. However, it's still very weird behaviour. Maybe fitting for this pin?

4 weeks later
#20035 4 months ago

With all the talk of new games, new code, Eric back at Spooky for a while, I had an idea about this game.
It does seem that the code is done, no more assets.
And unlikely to be a wizard mode.
How about a secret 3 shot wizard mode?
If you finish Rick Potion, there is a timed 3 shot hurry up.
Hit the shots, score 100 million and then animation of an explosion, and game goes dead!
It does seem that more stuff was meant to go in the game, so above is a quick way of adding a wizard mode with no assets.

I thought Rick Potion itself was the wizard mode? You can't do it until you've completed the adventure card, so it kinda qualifies as one. I would rather see something on the dimension path - eg, if you visit 20 dimensions you get a super-wizardy one! Again, wouldn't require any assets, and I'm sure Eric could come up with something really cool.

3 months later
#20171 34 days ago

I think R&M just might be my all time #1 game right now, perhaps just narrowly beating IMDN. I love the simplicity of the code, the shots (once dialled in) are super satisfying and its a fast, brutal, one with (usually) short game times. It sounds amazing, the light shows are terrific and the assets from the show are there plus some great callouts by the real voice actor, and even the coder dropped an update with some new dimensions recently - you can't really ask for more (ok, you COULD ask for some later season stuff, but that's never gonna happen).

This game comes with a HUGE disclaimer though: it absolutely has to be tweaked and dialled in. I have played another R&M where it was an awful experience. Left ramp couldnt be hit, the garage shot was next to impossible etc. Mine also required some tinkering. You really do have to either find a good example or spend a bit of time making some adjustments. A perfect shooting R&M though, is about as good as it gets for me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 399.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Bent Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

Trade
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 39.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 60.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinhead mods

Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ceemunkey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aw-jeez-official-rick-and-morty-club?tu=ceemunkey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.