(Topic ID: 257850)

Official Rick and Morty Club - You are not like other carbon based life forms.

By TheNoTrashCougar

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20,219 posts
  • 742 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 34 hours ago by Jigz
  • Topic is favorited by 333 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3963 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3962 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3961 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3960 (resized).jpeg
RAM ALT Translite 2022.3.19 (resized).jpg
IMG_3481 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_6211325_0 (resized).png
IMG_1914 (resized).jpeg
RAM L Loop Guard fail2b 2024.3.24 (resized).jpg
b5f006fa-9417-42d1-8730-250ad8488fb6.__CR0,0,1080,1080_PT0_SX300_V1___ (resized).jpg
P3230229 (resized).JPG
P3230228 (resized).JPG
rm-bcm (resized).jpg
20240213_184156 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
422528975_3643555955960477_8769668710301573887_n (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

106 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #256 Rules posted by Eric as of Feb 2020 Posted by epthegeek (4 years ago)

Post #510 R&M Options Posted by Morinack (4 years ago)

Post #589 Useful post for coin door comparison. Posted by NeilMcRae (4 years ago)

Post #637 More code rules - Adventures full lost Posted by epthegeek (4 years ago)

Post #745 Club thread reminder. Posted by TigerLaw (4 years ago)

Post #748 Cards for the game rules and what not. Posted by Coindropper (4 years ago)

Post #751 Darker outline for instruction cards. Posted by Coindropper (4 years ago)

Post #976 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Wireform ball launch and coil adjustment Posted by timmmmyboy (4 years ago)

Post #1006 TECH:Pitch recommendation from Scott. Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Aniraf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11551 3 years ago

I just unboxed and setup #516. So far, the flipper drop is pretty noticeable. I can’t catch a ball fired from the scoop and in a multiball scenario the right flipper is really flaky if it has more than one ball on it.

The upper flipper fails to fire a lot of the time. I am not yet sure why, but it is pretty inconsistent.

The flipper power seems good as I can make both ramps. In fact, on some shots on the right ramp the ball will launch off because the power is so high!

I put the flipper hold power on high, but that didn’t seem to make any difference.

I’ll dig into the EOS adjustments and tweaks ASAP.

#11608 3 years ago

I have American Pinball's Hot Wheels which, to my knowledge, has the same P-ROC hardware as Rick and Morty (Blood Sucker Edition) and Total Nuclear Annihilation. All three games have completely different flipper "feels". To me, the Hot Wheels implementation feels the best and most balanced. (My preference...no knock on Spooky games)

There is one interesting detail in the Hot Wheels implementation which neither of the Spooky games have. It has a large inline capacitor for the flippers. I had some initial issues with my Hot Wheels and ended up talking with Dave B. at American who had said that he was able to get a better flipper experience when running the power through that large cap.

On Total Nuclear Annihilation (which also has a fairly nice flipper implementation) I don't even see EOS switches. I think TheNoTrashCougar wrote some kind of code to remove the requirement of a physical switch. (Don't quote me on this ).

I am not an electrical engineer, nor am I implying that there is anything wrong with the existing set-up of any of these games. I am a computer programmer and I really appreciate @epthegeek's comments as I believe these situations are a bit of a nightmare in terms of writing the "right" code. If you really look at the entire "problem" you quickly realize that there is technically no solution. We have no defined flipper standard. Although I agree that Stern's implementation typically feels good for 60-90 minutes of continuous play, I can also tell you that I have a Firepower, Cirqus Voltaire, Scorpion and Pinbot which all play perfectly and feel completely different than my Stern machines.

Considering the solution is probably a hybrid of user feedback, hardware type and game layout I feel like you would have to deploy multiple code packages and have end users cycle through them and report on their experience. I would be happy to help test if Spooky feels that would assist in solving the current problems.

NBAFan mentioned a hardware solution whereas the flippers were not seated on the bushings correctly? I'm not sure what exactly to look for there but I can attest that my flippers seem really high off the playfield compared to every other game I own. Perhaps there is something to that as well?

#11708 3 years ago
Quoted from Nysbadmk8:

So I took the flipper bushing thing into my own hands and printed 3 versions of a shorter bush that I will try out this weekend.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Quick thought...I was also thinking about the solution for this "problem" via my 3d printer. Based on the stresses which could be applied to the actual bushing I was thinking that it might be a better approach to build a platform which lowers the whole flipper mech, bushing and switches by 1/8th of an inch or so. If you were to 3d print a "plate" of sorts that everything sits on top of wouldn't Spooky be able to continue using off the shelf parts in tandem with their new and improved playfields?

#11737 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Such a "plate" already exists in the form of 8 thick washers you can shim the flipper mounting bracket with. Biggest issue is properly resizing replacement screws so the bracket is secure without poking the screws through the top of the playfield.

I had thought about the washers but was concerned that leaving gaps in the surface of the flipper mech to playfield could produce unexpected results or introduce more stress on the screws and bolts.

On the replacement screws, I had assumed it would be easier to source the correct length of standard thread screws than to redesign a flipper bushing that the industry has used for 30+ years.

I could be way off, but I feel like reducing scope to screw length would solve the problem faster than developing new and possibly one-off flipper hardware.

#11887 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I would ask that everyone remember, including Spooky, to not take anything personally. Aside from a few troll posts from people who don't even own the game, most of the conversation here is pretty constructive. It is just people trying to get the most out of their game. "We" do not know what is being done behind the scenes in detail. I do not take what Snaroff is asking as condescending, many of us are technical - hell I troubleshoot complex systems for a living as well - we are short and to the point and like exact details to try to diagnose problems. We are blunt and seem condescending because of this.
While they may be getting negative 'help me' emails/contacts from others, the people in this thread are actively trying to make things right. I think I speak for everyone here that we all appreciate that Spooky are willing to have this back and forth as well as the customers who are actively troubleshooting/testing to assist in some way.
I know that sometimes the negativity can get overwhelming to the creators, especially if their data does not match what is being given back to them. Just remember those people are trying to help however they can, they aren't trying to dog you. Troubleshooting communication over a forum is time consuming. We appreciate your diligence.

C66BB8E5-5EA9-49B7-82D5-A7256BC8744D (resized).jpegC66BB8E5-5EA9-49B7-82D5-A7256BC8744D (resized).jpeg
#11911 3 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

I installed the Pinball Mod Co Megaseed Tree today. I like it! Now to play some games.[quoted image]

This is so perfectly disgusting! How hard was it to install? Sounds like you need to drill some things?

4 weeks later
#12449 3 years ago

Question about the diverter...when the garage/dimension light is flashing green and I hit that right orbit shot is the ball always supposed to go into the garage? I would say 70% of the time mine rattles around and falls down the center loop.

1 week later
#12658 3 years ago

Is there an official update for the flipper bushings? Does it even matter? I am wondering if the game would shoot more smoothly with lower flippers but perhaps it really doesn’t make a difference. Does anyone have details on the before/after experience?

1 week later
#12912 2 years ago

I purchased and installed the Magnetic Read Switches from @sonic. I have to say, they are an excellent product. I think these should replace rollover switches almost everywhere they can! I highly recommend them.

#13168 2 years ago

My right coin door slot isn’t working. I’m not entirely sure how to test it honestly. It has three prongs which seem to handle some assortment of 12v. Does anyone know how to test/fix these?

#13169 2 years ago

Okay, check my last post…the switch seems to be working fine. I was able to research how it is supposed to function and with power off I confirmed that the “active state/level down” seems to open the always closed gate and tell the machine to coin up…problem is, it isn’t doing that.

It runs into a Multimorphic SW16 which clearly does something fancy to combine the switch messages and send them to the main board.

I validated that I have each coin slot set to one credit in the system settings. Is it possible the SW16 is failing? Is there a way to debug that?

#13178 2 years ago

If anyone cares, my right coin slot issue is failing because of the Multimorphic SW-16 board. I swapped it with another board and it works just fine. I am not sure how it failed, nor have I ever seen one of those fail...but I guess it happens. I contacted Spooky and we'll see if they can hook me up with a swap.

1 week later
#13507 2 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

I hate that type of flipper mech bolt, yeah they're easier to do up but I've broken quite a few with less torque than is needed to secure the flipper.

I agree! Not a Spooky problem, but a problem none the less. It is the worst design in pinball. I’ve always wondered why flippers don’t join together with some kind of lock pin that slides through the flipper shaft or maybe even set screws. The “squeezed metal” approach seems really ineffective. Perhaps the torque is just too high for other approaches…but I doubt it.

#13633 2 years ago

My stupid plastic “spring” that holds the ship broke. I’m not sure how since it is such a brilliant design. :/ is there a recommended fix for this that isn’t a large piece of metal?

#13671 2 years ago

I fixed my diverter yesterday. I didn't realize what the problem was before I took it apart. I'm going to try to explain here in case it helps other owners. I know that someone (sorry I forget the name) is working on a new diverter that is welded. That would completely fix the issue.

How is it supposed to work: In an "off" state the diverter should be open to the portal/garage. When the ball rolls over the right orbit switch the diverter should rapidly turn "on" effectively closing the lane to the garage and forcing the ball down the inner loop. Only when the green flashing "portal ready!" arrow is lit should you expect the diverter to remain open or "off" allowing entrance to the portal/garage.

What causes the issue: Spooky designed the diverter such that it is held onto the shaft using nylock nuts. These nuts rub against the decal applied to the backboard which in my case produced too much friction for the diverter to naturally open ("off" state).

The Fix: In my case, I just finished the work that Spooky started. As you can see in the picture, Spooky knows this is an issue because they already ground down the nuts and bolts. I pulled out my Dremel and did more of the same. I also had to take a tiny bit off of the C ring that they have on the shaft.

I'm not sure how stable the solution is as you end up removing more of the nylon and metal needed to hold the bolts in place. It seems sufficient, but only time will tell. The best solution would be to weld the two pieces together such that there is no extended metal surface to catch on the backboard.

IMG_0373 (resized).jpegIMG_0373 (resized).jpeg
#13676 2 years ago
Quoted from MrCleanHead:

My game was delivered last week so I have not experienced this issue (yet..?) but if the diverter nuts are rubbing the backboard wouldn't it be easier to just modify/notch the backboard to give the diverter the clearance it needs?

I'm not sure if I would consider it easier considering then you would have to clean up the wood shavings inside of the machine...but I fully agree that it would work just fine. I guess it simply depends on if you like grinding metal or wood .

#13677 2 years ago
Quoted from MrCleanHead:

My game was delivered last week so I have not experienced this issue (yet..?) but if the diverter nuts are rubbing the backboard wouldn't it be easier to just modify/notch the backboard to give the diverter the clearance it needs?

Ahh, I should say mine is #516. It is entirely possible this is a thing of the past.

#13680 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Curious, how did you note you had an issue? Could you hear the loud 'click' but it was still going to the portal? I'm still having an issue where even with MR's on that switch it doesn't 100% of the time activate (no click) when the portal is off.

In my case it would stick in the "closed" state. The coil would fire, which closed the diverter for the inner loop but it would never open again since the nuts were getting stuck on the artwork. Every once in a while the vibration would open it up but I knew something was wrong since that green arrow would flash yet I couldn't reach the portal.

#13726 2 years ago

I fixed my plastic spring for the ship using the extra spooky sent me. I installed the new one keeping the nuts loose as recommended and I lowered the coil pulse. I’ve played 20 games and it is cracking again. This is fucking ridiculous. Someone must have a better idea for this thing.

#13738 2 years ago
Quoted from MrCleanHead:

I have 63 games on mine (1 week old) and mine looks fine. I will probably remove the metal tap/flap thingy on the coil that hits the ship rod if it becomes a problem. I have not noticed it moving anyways since Im more focused on keeping the ball in play. I do have a mold/model maker coming over this weekend to play it and I will see what he thinks. Maybe we can come up with something that will still work and look cool but it will never be like AFM at the current design.

I'm wondering if we could accomplish the exact same behavior with a flap made out of thin and flexible Vivak or something. If I think about the material used for blister packaging or playfield protectors. That stuff is way more flexible than the plastic being used.

#13739 2 years ago
Quoted from orlandu81:

Yesterday I found the little metal rod on the floor of the machine. The metal "loose" piece that makes contact with the rod does not have a centered hole drilled in it, therefore it shifts to the right and after a few firings of the coil, the metal rod often gets stuck on the side of the metal loose piece as it drops past it, and thus stops the coil from firing.
For now, I just removed both from my machine, as adjusting it on the track didn't help. Sent a note over to the service department for a new metal piece there hopefully with a centered hole. Not sure if the hole placement makes a difference on yours but it sure does seem to be messing mine up.
[quoted image]

I kept looking at the design of this and wondering if we could just make a pyramid shape that has a lip on the outside. The idea being that the pyramid edge would rest on the playfield until the post pushes it up. Once it gets pushed up the lip would catch the underside of the plastic and make sure that the ship didn't go flying out.

Based on the behavior, I don't really see the need for a "spring" like design. All it needs to do is hold the thing in place until that post knocks it around.

I attached a picture of what I have in my head...not sure if this makes sense to anyone else or not.

R&Midea (resized).pngR&Midea (resized).png
#13793 2 years ago

So, I'm about 750 balls into the game and I've noticed just a little bit of a rough spot on the portal hole. I'm not a huge fan of the metal protector so I decided to design my own that more or less follows the same pattern I've had on my Cirqus Voltaire for many years. Via some 3D print magic and what I'm now realizing is a great filament I came up with this (pictures). It is a simple snap fit that is designed to lock into the hole with a very tiny "foot" which grips the bottom of the playfield. It takes about 20 minutes to install because you have to remove the house. In testing so far (5 games) it seems to work pretty great. I did get one "lip out" from a fast moving ball in the right orbit but I've also seen that without a protector so I have no way of knowing.

I'm curious to know the thoughts of the community. If this is something people are excited about I could print and ship them as well. I don't think they would be very expensive.

IMG_0408 (resized).JPEGIMG_0408 (resized).JPEGIMG_0409 (resized).JPEGIMG_0409 (resized).JPEGIMG_0410 (resized).JPEGIMG_0410 (resized).JPEGIMG_0411 (resized).JPEGIMG_0411 (resized).JPEGIMG_0412 (resized).JPEGIMG_0412 (resized).JPEGIMG_0415 (resized).JPEGIMG_0415 (resized).JPEG
#13796 2 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

That green looks pretty sick as in awesome... if you do make more I'd be interested if the plastic proves durable enough.

Yeah, my theory is that it is certainly stronger than the clear coated wood. Also I hit a few with a hammer on cement just to validate they could handle some impact. Basically the wall portion will not break whereas the lip portion will chip away. I cannot imagine a ball hitting it at the speed of a hammer. I honestly don’t think a ball could even impact the ridge in such a way that it would chip, but I need many more hours of testing to validate that. I suspect the only way it would be fully tested would be to put a bunch of them out there in the wild.

#13797 2 years ago
Quoted from waynetrane:

I'm interested too.
Maybe you can also provide the 3D file for DIY version.

Yeah, I have no issue providing the file. I’m not looking to make money on it…just help people out. I just need time to upload everything to public spaces.

#13804 2 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Mantis has been doing awesome hole protectors for years that work great. I installed the Mantis for the Portal hole and it was an easy install and plays great.
My feedback on yours is this...since it covers the bezel and looks like it sits above the PF slightly, I'd expect your solution to alter the ball path more than the Mantis protector (which sits below the wood bezel). Sometimes the ball flies up into the garage and it looks like your protector might cause the ball to go airborne.
Yours does look nice and in theory looks easy to install. I'd also be concerned about your protector moving and having to be adjusted every so often.

Yep, I'm not knocking the Mantis protector at all. Based on my experience with Cirqus Voltaire the part of the hole that got smashed was the very edge (hence my design). That said, there is no competition as I'm not trying to sell these. If you like the Mantis version, buy that one!

#13805 2 years ago

OK, here are the details for the 3D printed hole protector. I'm not sure the Thingiverse link shows the pictures yet...but you guys get the idea from this thread: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4866580

If you're interested in tinkering with the design, you can do that here: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/40d82f709df95a983374ad60/w/dbaf121b6e644678ccd4d89e/e/a8652334283867e38030c7f9.

Make sure that you read my instructions in the Thingiverse if you print it. I'm not responsible for anything that could possibly go wrong from installing it or using it . Also, I would love any feedback about how it holds up for others people.

As for the PMs on selling it...I wasn't planning on selling it, but I could work up some numbers around the material cost, time and shipping. I honestly think shipping would be the most expensive part of it...but I might even be able to get away with just a padded envelope. Give me a few days and I can work up some kind of number that is both worth my time and not insane for the buyers.

Last thing I'll mention. I've got another 3D print solution that I'm testing. I have some friends coming over tonight to put it through the paces. If it works out, I'll drop that one tomorrow and maybe then there would be a reason to sell both parts together. I appreciate all the positive comments. I've never designed something for a pinball machine before and this is pretty cool .

#13812 2 years ago

I was able to get about 100 balls played with the 3D printed protector tonight. It got a crack on the left side. Same spot razorsedge just talked about. I'm modifying the design to try and take a little bit of extra impact.

Based on the testing tonight, I'm pretty confident that it will work. I might need to lower the print resolution to .1 in order to make something that is really strong around that edge but overall I'm still pretty happy with it. Even the crack has failed to spider out and I drilled that shot 20-30 times. My guess is that the challenge will come from what is behind the plastic. In order for this thing to work, it needs the wood/clear behind it to be pretty uniform. I won't be able to map to the dimensions of every game.

Even with the crack it does the job, it just doesn't look as cool. I'll test my second version tomorrow and report back. I just wanted to post in case anyone has tried to make one.

#13842 2 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

Oh, oh, oh....
I want one.
Would you pretty, pretty please make me one?
Are you doing tournaments again yet at the brew pub?
Would give me an extra reason to drive down that way

Yeah, I’m going to kick up Multiball Monday maybe as soon as next week. I need to get my Oktoberfest working and it is being a bit of an ass at the moment.

As for the hole protector, I’m testing a new design and I’ll hook everyone up ASAP. I think it just needs a little more or a little less plastic to withstand the harder shots. I think I am pretty close to a good solution.

#13846 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

What are you using for filament? Maybe using some Ninjaflex so the part is a little spongy would absorb impacts instead of cracking/breaking.

Yeah, I am using PETG because I didn’t want to pass the impact to the wood. TPU would probably work if it is thick enough. The negative would be that it might slip out of the hole since I am relying on the pressure fit to keep it in place. If anyone else prints it with a different material let me know.

#13847 2 years ago

I have another update on the 3D print portal protector. I've modified the design and added what I shall refer to as the "love hump". After making the modification I manually threw 100 balls at it from each direction. I'm pretty confident that this will prevent any sort of cracking in the plastic but I can't guarantee anything as I only have one game to test on. That said, I really slammed it. I cannot imagine a ball traveling faster then I was throwing it with my hands.

So...that brings me to my next item...expanded testing. I have had a lot of people message me asking if they could buy one of these. As I've said, I didn't expect to sell it (hence my posting of the files) but I understand that not everyone has a 3D printer or even if they do, they might not want to hassle with the material and post production process. As such, I've decided I could go ahead and try to sell it.

Since I would like more testing before I start cranking them out, I'm going to sell 10 then collect feedback. In the event that you buy one and it breaks, I will work with you to understand what happened then possibly revise the design. I'll send you another one for the cost of shipping only.

As for price, the first 10 will be $40 each. That includes cost of materials, cost of manufacture (time and maintenance), finishing work (sanding smoothing), packing & shipping (roughly $8), and my time. Assuming everything goes well, I'll set a final price and perhaps list them on a Pinside shop. Excuse me while I wade into the world of mod creation.

Lastly, because this is the internet I have to say if you don't like the price, prefer the less expensive Mantis hole protector, or have any other complaints...don't buy one! I've given away the design for free and explained exactly how to make them. I simply want to help people and I'm not looking to get into some kind of debate about how my design or material choice is shit or how I should loose money on each ring because that helps everyone .

For now: if you are interested, hit me up with a Pinside PM. I already have the first 10 but I may be able to expand that fairly rapidly depending on people's schedules and their ability to test.

Screenshot 2021-05-24 100743 (resized).pngScreenshot 2021-05-24 100743 (resized).png
#13876 2 years ago

You guys are going to get really sick of me...but I think I fixed another issue with 3D printing. So, as I mentioned a while back...my theory on the flipper bushings is that the entire platform should be dropped roughly an 1/8th. I don't think it makes sense to change standard pinball parts (like bushings) when all that is really needed is a slightly thicker playfield.

So, I developed something I'll call the "X spacer". My goal with this project was to get the flippers into the correct position without forcing people to remove the flippers or deal with any complex disassembly. In testing I have to say it makes a world of difference. I really did not believe that 1/8th of an inch was enough to impact the way that the game plays but holy shit if it isn't a huge improvement.

To install these, you basically need three X spacers (two if you don't care about the upper flipper...but you should ) and 24 #8 5/8 screws. You take all of the screws out of the flipper plate allowing it to lightly hang by the flipper only, then thread the 3D printed part underneath. It is slightly annoying to flex the part around all of the wires and things, but it takes less than five minutes per flipper.

Like my portal protector, I'm planning on dropping the designs for these as soon as I get everything posted. If you're interested in buying them from me, once again I'll work up some kind of price and start shipping them to people in need. I'm currently working on my packing and shipping skills to figure out a way to get stuff to people for as reasonable as possible. Give me a few days on both sharing the file and dropping a price.

If you are interested, go ahead and message me here and I'll tally everything up.

IMG_0431 (resized).JPEGIMG_0431 (resized).JPEGbefore (resized).jpgbefore (resized).jpgafter (resized).jpgafter (resized).jpgflippers (resized).jpgflippers (resized).jpginstalled (resized).jpginstalled (resized).jpg
#13889 2 years ago
Quoted from riggy469:

Are you printing with PLA?

I am printing these with PETG. It seemed like a pretty good fit for the application where I don't really want any possibility of "squeeze".

#13890 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

So, when the flipper bushings were first brought up, we asked if putting washers in there would help and I swear people said no but I don't remember what the reason was...isn't that essentially the same thing?

I thought about the exact same thing. I opted to do this for three reasons: 1) Easier to install vs. dicking around with a stack of washers while trying to tighten the screws. 2) Full coverage of the contact surface, hence maximum stability. 3) The screw holes are close together and I couldn't find an ideal sized washer to either wrap both or cover each screw separately.

#13893 2 years ago

As promised...here is the spacer if you wish to print one: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4869750.

If you wish to buy them from me I'm going to offer two options:

1) $45 gets you all three spacers and 24 of the 5/8th inch screws
2) $40 gets you all three spacers

Why the difference you ask? Well...the screws are stupid expensive! I bought a box of 100 for $15 and they are sold out everywhere I can find them. Also, they add a lot of weight which will make the mailing slightly more expensive.

Why isn't there a two spacer option? Seriously...don't do it...I cannot believe how much better the game is! Just get three because I'm going to charge the same regardless.

Lastly, for anyone who feels so inclined to tell me I'm "ripping people off" with my prices let me remind you I absolutely don't give a fuck. I did this because I love pinball and enjoy most of the players (except for you). It may cost $0.37 to print something but don't forget the hours of print time, electricity, maintenance, packing, shipping, and at least this many experiments (example picture) plus designing and testing. On top of all of that...I'm giving my designs away for non-commercial use! So let's just agree to disagree on the numbers I came up with...cool?

Awesome...now I'll ping everyone who PM'ed me. I should be able to start shipping these next week...I just need some envelopes and time to print them.

IMG_0438 (resized).jpegIMG_0438 (resized).jpeg

#13894 2 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Anytime I have the option of not searching for a washer/screw/nut when it slips out of my hands 22 times when doing repairs....”it’s not stuck to the cab speaker, I checked it 4 times. Where the hell did it go?!” I’m totally in. Seriously, how did it end up 30 ft away from the game? Not sure if this crossed your mind when designing but thank you

OMG I know! I swear there is a screw hiding in my R&M right now! I dropped it and I have no f'ing idea where it went.

#13896 2 years ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

Working on trying to dial the upper flipper shits in tonight, I unscrewed the first screw of the ball rail, shift it back a bit, and retightened.
Then I moved the flipper out a bit (it was almost tucked under the plastic). The rail isn't flush with the flipper though.
I played a few games and right away noticed a smoother shot to the inner loop (hit my first 3x loop).
But the garage shot just isn't going. Here's a video of me taking a few shots. The second shot is way off, bit the others look like they should make it, but they brick:

Also, see attached pic. Looks like the cabinet leg bracket either wasn't installed properly, or it's pulling out.
Any thoughts on what I should do?
[quoted image]

I know this seems like some kind of marketing post right after I spammed out the details on my bracket, but absolutely lower your flippers. I cannot guarantee it will solve it but that shot is so much better for me now!

As for the cabinet issue…ughh. I am confident it can be repaired and Spooky will help you. They are really good with this stuff.

#13902 2 years ago
Quoted from Steve44:

Couldn’t Spooky maybe buy these from you and send them out to all owners? It’s been over 5 months since they identified the problem and promised that a revised bushings would be sent to all owners....

I would sure be willing to work out some kind of deal on their next game . I certainly don’t want to tell them how to do business or even how their machine should “feel”.

Personally I think the game feels insanely better with the flippers lowered. Like I said earlier, I was shocked by this. In fact, I am debating turning down my flipper power because it actually hits the ball so much harder that I see more air balls and ramp launches. Even the upper flipper feels different for me. I am actually able to hit the left side of the horseshoe lock reliably from the upper flipper now.

The slight change in height also has the effect of slightly adjusting the timing on the shots. The left ramp and right orbit feel more like “sweet spot” shots to me vs. the factory design.

Lastly I am actually debating if dropping the flippers has an impact on the coil heat generation. I don’t want to make any false claims here, but I swear my flippers felt strong for a longer session than prior.

Please take my comments with a grain of salt…for all I know this is a placebo effect and nothing has changed . I’ll get them in the hands of a few other people and hopefully they can report back on their experience.

#13911 2 years ago

I wanted to post a quick update on the 3D printed portal protector. I've been testing designs of this for about 2.5 weeks now. I thought I had it...then I installed the flipper spacers I created..

As the story goes, I started with the upper flipper just to ensure that the idea would work after many flips. Everything worked great! Then three days ago I installed the X spacer on my main flippers. Although the spacer performed fantastically, the portal protector did not. The ball seems to come off the flipper with more force than before which has the chance to crack the portal protector. While experimenting I would say it takes approximately 30 direct hits before the portal protector will crack.

The cracks themselves aren't the issue for me (pictured), it is the aesthetic around the top of the portal. After installing this thing I've become enamored with the look as well as the function. So I went to work to try and solve this. I stayed up way too late over the last two nights, but I can tell you as of this morning I am really happy with the performance of my latest design. I call this design the "ugly duckling" because you actually have to print it with no perimeters. I'm not a physicist but my theory is that this allows the "fibers" of the plastic to disperse the impact exactly how I want rather than trying to take the added stress and push it around the ring.

The test units should be going out tomorrow. Assuming I get positive feedback on both the performance and the shipping I am going to drop the price (refund the testers) and create a bundle with the X spacer set. I am super excited that I might be able to keep costs down and increase quality at the same time!

Please be a little patient as portal protecting and flipper gapping is not my full-time job . I will be cranking on these things during nights and weekends to ensure that I can help everyone who is interested.

IMG_0439 (resized).jpegIMG_0439 (resized).jpeg
#13945 2 years ago

No idea, probably scrap.
After nearly 2 months, I have almost all issues and modification done to the game so I can actually play it!
At least I know when I sell it, the next person won't have any issues at all to deal with.
On a side note, if anyone local to Toronto needs the X Spacer to lower their bushings, I'd be happy to 3D print a set for you at no cost, and you can come pick it up.
Really good job by the way with the 3D print design. Love to see people stepping up and trying to help people in this community, rather than discounting their issues and telling them to suck it up.

I'm totally cool with this...but please don't accept money for them. It would feel a little shitty to know that someone else is profiting off of my work.

Also, if you printed them for yourself I would love to know how they are working out. In testing today I'm almost certain I need to turn the flipper power down. I'm getting air balls galore! I had two balls go on top of the horseshoe plastic and quite a few aggressive ramp shots. The difference is insane! I am sure everyone's experience will vary but holy crap if 1/8th of an inch isn't like topping a golfball in pinball!

#13953 2 years ago

Sorry, didn't mean to go over you on this one. I figured, if you've made the file public, it's available to everyone.
I was just offering a free 3D print to anyone within driving distance. Not looking to make any money, especially since it's not mine.
Again, thanks for doing this for all of us.

No issue at all! I love that you're doing this. Shipping to Canada is super expensive. I just want to make sure my design isn't being sold to people behind my back. Like I said...it just feels shitty. There is nothing I can do other than bitch on the forums about fair use of licenses . It helps me feel like a real designer .

#13954 2 years ago
Quoted from Iwasthebruce:

Thank you so much for sharing the 3d file for these spacers!
For anyone wondering, I was able to order 3 copies from Shapeways in PA11 (SLS) for only $52 after shipping.
Not trying to steel your business, just giving other material options to folks, once again really appreciate your engineering here!
(*edit: keep in mind, Shapeways is about a 1 month turnaround time too...so patience is key)
Waiting for the invoice for Standard Edition #745, any day now!!!

Ohh! You will have to take a picture of that for me!

#13957 2 years ago

This is a big post...sorry in advance :/.

I've run the numbers on portal protectors, X spacers, print time, labor, shipping, etc. and I think I have a fair bundle price along with an updated portal protector price. Hopefully everyone will like this.

Design changes:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
First, let me talk about changes to the portal protector. As mentioned in a prior post my increased impact testing lead me to a different print technique. After testing this method for four days, hundreds of balls and many hammer blows I am 95% confident this will be the final design. I only know what I don't know...which is the size and shape of every other portal hole. Chances are they are very similar, but as I've read with the Mantis protector...people have had a few struggles. This could be the result of uneven clear or slight variations in the cut or routing. Fortunately I think I have a way of dealing with that situation as well.

Let me get into the attached pictures. The first one shows the newest protector printed with the "perimeterless" design. It is less smooth than prior versions in exchange for 10x the strength. The second picture shows it installed (not the best picture but my lighting sucks). When installed it gains a slightly enhanced vibrancy which allows it to catch blue light even better than before. Lastly the new design doesn't need any finish work. Based on the way I'm printing these I end up with a sufficient edge where the ball rolls allowing me to skip the manual sanding part and ultimately save time/money. It is slighly more grainy, but it doesn't matter at all as it should be about .1mm under any area the ball could impact. All around this is a better product. It is different than what I initially showed thus it is important for me to be transparent.

Pricing updates:
I keep getting questions about pricing and bundling so I'm going to list my new SKUs below along with instructions for payment. If you follow the instructions as written you don't need to PM me on Pinside, but I'm totally cool chatting if you don't mind a little wait. Hopefully these updates will suit everyone. All prices are including shipping to the US. I can work with people on international prices.

- Portal Protector ---------- $30 shipped
- X Spacer (screws) ---------- $45 shipped
- Portal+Spacer ---------- $65 shipped

If you do not need the screws, you can take $5 off the price of the X spacers.

Purchasing:
PayPal the amount of your options to [email protected]. Include your address, Pinside ID and your option selection. Please include all three items such that I can ensure you get proper communication.

Shipping/Timeline:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am estimating about one week from time of payment to shipping. This could flex based on a few different factors. Rest assured, I'm going as fast as possible.

Warranty:
If for any reason your portal protector or spacer breaks I will send you a replacement for the cost of shipping. Ideally (if my shipping methods work) this should be less than $5 US. I will ask for pictures of the broken part and inquire why/how it broke. I don't anticipate any issues with this crowd, but I've not done this before so I want to protect myself from someone who is trying to take advantage of the situation.

Final notes:
I will be donating 5% of profits to Pinside. I will respond to every PM/email as soon as possible. I really appreciate the outpouring of support and excitement around my ideas. It is really fun to know that my printer is doing something productive while I'm working my day job .

IMG_0444 (resized).jpegIMG_0444 (resized).jpegIMG_0445 (resized).jpegIMG_0445 (resized).jpeg
#13958 2 years ago

Totally agree and understand. I hope you get some orders, as it's a great design.
Spooky should wake up and realize this could be an easier option than getting people to replace bushings, which for non-technical people, is daunting.

Personally I hate removing the flippers from the flipper arms. I feel like the bent metal is never the same after the first time you've loosened it. I am a "Playfield Protector guy" so I've removed a lot of flippers on brand new machines and I've also replaced a lot of flipper arms. You wouldn't believe how many times the f'ing bolt pops causing me to replace the stupid flipper arm.

I would be really happy to talk to Spooky about using my design or shipping it to R&M owners. Obviously they need to test it and make sure the game plays like they intended. As I said before, this might actually make the flippers slightly too strong. They might want a software change in conjunction with the brackets.

#13975 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The problem is, with nylon bushings you have decades of performance data showing their reliability for this use. This solution has a few weeks of data in a limited environment. They could just be multiplying their headache 6 months or a year from now after they sent these out to everyone. It's by no means a slam dunk, and potentially just a deferred problem when the PETG 3D printed mounts start breaking.
All that said, I STILL have no idea why they thought going with a thinner playfield was a good idea.

Are you thinking they will break roughly at the same time as all of Spooky’s PETG printed parts on this machine? .

I’m pretty confident 100% infill PETG is going to be just fine for longer than most of us are alive. I think the bushings would be the penultimate solution, but I don’t think that Spooky should create a custom bushings for a single game. That just seems like a bad move for a small business.

Looking at the basic physics of this...moving four small contact points down 1/8th of an inch while retaining the same surface area of the contact to the playfield should not increase the stress to the contact points. For context, I installed these on a friend's machine (as well as mine) and his machine only had 3/8th's screws! In fact, a few of them were already loose. If Spooky was really worried about the stresses on the flipper mech contact points, I think they would have used some 1/2 inch screws.

Quoted from Pinstym:

I seriously doubt they're going to purchase possibly hundreds of $45 mods... and have to deal with all the people who install them wrong or have some other problem with the mod.

There is no way I would sell something I'm giving away for free for $45 each to Spooky. If they were to contact me, I'm pretty sure we could work out some kind of arrangement. I "invented" a 3D printed washer...it isn't exactly a patentable idea . I'm only charging for my time. I'm not slacking on these, I'll have instructions for everyone, support and a warranty. toyotaboy created a different solution for the cost of shipping only. If you don't like my prices, get his. If he has the time to print, send and support his solution that's awesome! I unfortunately do not have that time unless I charge $1000 a set .

#13986 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

So you're saying the bushings aren't the final solution?
All I'm saying is 3D printed PETG is not the same as molded PETG. There are built in layer lines from creation that even 100% infill can't overcome. If injection molded nylon bushings can break from force or vibration, 3D printed PETG used like this absolutely can, and probably sooner. I'm not saying it CAN'T work, just that there's not enough real-world data for Spooky to jump feet first into this solution over the more proven long term viability of injection molded bushings. As a DIY solution of a handful (or a few handfuls) of owners, great.

No, I am saying that bushings would probably be the "final" solution. I just don't view it as a pragmatic direction for a small company.

I completely agree that 3D printing can break. I break 3D parts all the time to test them. I am saying that Spooky used 3D printed parts on this game (top and bottom side). Frankly, they aren't the best 3D prints I've seen. Despite their print quality, they didn't have seem to have concerns with durability. Also, you sell a lot of 3D printed parts. They are exceptional and don't seem to have any issues with durability.

#13999 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The confusing part was that penultimate doesn't mean final. It means the one before final.

Good callout...that was an incorrect usage of the word in the way I was trying to use it. I use "penultimate" a lot for software stuff.

#14025 2 years ago

Anyone know why this is happening on the portal protector?
Do I need a raft, or need to change the heat on the bed?
[quoted image]

Oh boy do I have a lot of portal protector stuff to talk about tonight...

First, to print it...I recommend printing it with the "lip" side down. (example picture attached) I can't tell if you are doing that based on the picture. Also, as I said in one of my earlier posts, it needs printed with 0 perimeters (unless you are using TPU).

Second, if you are grabbing my designs directly from the OnShape file...you're good. If not, stop what you're doing . I've iterated a ton today and the file on thingiverse is not up to date.

Third...I thought I had it...hammer blows, bending, hundreds of balls...PETG still cannot handle the force of my flippers on the May "beta" code with the spacers installed. Today I noticed a small crack on the inside of the protector and I wouldn't be surprised if it started to spider out.

Since I refuse to give up I decided to test TPU like was talked about early on in this adventure. I did not think that TPU would give me the protection needed but boy was I wrong! Tonight I did about four hours of different TPU tests and I am now 99% confident this solution will work the best! I won't bore you with the tests, or the story of how I changed the design and printing method, but trust me it works so much better.

Everyone who has purchased one of my protectors will receive a PM tomorrow (sorry I'm exhausted tonight) explaining the new options. Basically, you can call me a fool and I'll return your money immediately or you can accept the TPU version. For the people I've already shipped to, I will recommend waiting to receive the TPU version before you install. I think the TPU product is so much better that I will not be shipping it going forward. If you choose to install the PETG version, chances are it will be fine for days, maybe even months...but I cannot fully trust it.

I'm happy to report NOTHING changes with the visual! It looks exactly as amazing as the PETG version did (maybe even more??). Also the installation is MUCH easier with the added advantage of being able to remove it without damaging it. I am blown away by this material!

Last but not least I wanted to show everyone a quick video of a final protector

As you can see, this stuff is really flexible yet very firm on the edge.

I know my posts are becoming stupid long...sorry for that. I probably should start another thread all about R&M 3D printed parts or something. Let me know if everyone is getting annoyed with this shit.

Thanks again for keeping up with my prints and thank you to everyone willing to fund this experiment!!

protectorBlueLight (resized).jpegprotectorBlueLight (resized).jpegprotectorPrinting (resized).jpgprotectorPrinting (resized).jpg
#14026 2 years ago

Duuuuuude... You're freaking awesome!
Going to print it now with to match these...[quoted image]

Is that a glow in the dark spacer??? Nice!!

Realizing that people are printing this...I figured I'll attach my draft instruction sheet. Everyone who buys one will receive it of course, but if you want to attempt on your own this guide might help you.

The key callout is to remind everyone that the X shape is simply to help align the "washer" pads. You can bend that thing around all you want until you get it into position.

Xspacer_Installation.pdfXspacer_Installation.pdf
#14028 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Never doubt the Monk.
Glad you are on the right track now! Looks great...

Yep. I ordered TPU the same day we were discussing it. I never had a reason to use it before, but now that I understand it I am going to make reasons!

I am still impressed that I was able to get the PETG to work so well! I just do not want to ship something that ends up failing. It needs to be pretty damn perfect if I am putting my name behind it.

#14030 2 years ago

Oh, and @pinmonk, if you are so inclined I would love to see coil temps before and after flipper adjustment. You could use shaved bushings or spacers. I just dropped my flippers coils down again because of airballs! I can’t help but wonder if the “cleaner” impact translates to the coil temp.

#14032 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It seems like, at the very least, it should slow the progression of heat building in the coil because the flipper isn't working as hard. That should give a player more time before noticeable fade. That's my guess, anyway. I have to do another round of temp tests with the newer code anyway, so maybe we'll do a case for this, too.

Right. I absolutely don’t want to create work for you but your tests have been awesome.

#14039 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I don't have a 3D Printer. Can I please buy one of these off or you (Glow in the dark)?

I don’t have a glow in the dark firmament, only transparent green which “glows” when it picks up the blue light. It looks like this when the light is white.

04E06099-E325-4034-84A9-32B347C05DF0 (resized).jpeg04E06099-E325-4034-84A9-32B347C05DF0 (resized).jpeg
#14040 2 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Did you go with NinjaFlex or generic TPU?

I ended up using a MatterHackers TPU that looked almost exactly the same as the Prusament I was using. I'm very pleased with the material thus far. It took me almost no time to get it printing and the results are awesome! https://www.matterhackers.com/store/l/translucent-green-mh-build-series-tpu-flexible-filament-175mm-1kg/sk/MHKHHWUR

#14056 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Sorry, either way… that looks beautiful. Can I buy one of what you have there?

Quoted from darkryder:

I’d be interested in buying one of those as well. Looks fantastic!

Quoted from Jenniebear:

I also would like to get one of your portal protectors

I posted all of the instructions for purchase here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aw-jeez-official-rick-and-morty-club/page/280#post-6305739. Or you can PM me and I’ll get you the details and start printing .

#14086 2 years ago
Quoted from Calfdemon:

I installed it back when it was on the PBL website and followed their directions and pictures.
The Mr. Poopy Butthole hat is used to cover the old hole with the flathead screw. The round head screw holds down the new wireform.
That is how the pictures and description had it on PBL before they took it down.

What is the difference with the new wire form? It looks like it doesn’t have a catch at the end?

#14088 2 years ago
Quoted from Calfdemon:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Omg! That is way better! That is a paid upgrade?

#14090 2 years ago
Quoted from Calfdemon:

Its the aftermarket one that Pinball Life came up with. It is not currently up on their website but rumor is you can contact them and still get one. Originally came in purple or black.

I can’t figure out what is up with PinballLife, is it owned by Scott Danesi or does he work there or something? Even this game is weird, he posts all the time on the Total Nuclear Annihilation thread but never on this thread. Was there some kind of falling out with this game where he is off creating better parts but not talking about them? Maybe they are completely unrelated and I don’t know what I’m talking about.

I have to say, with the flippers lowered and everything dialed in, the game is fantastic. There are some pretty nasty design flaws but the core of the game is really great. Maybe without COVID we could have seen a little more iteration in the functional pars. The code/rule design is excellent! It has to be one of the best theme integrations ever done. The fact that I am still getting new dimensions and random call outs is great.

#14098 2 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

How do you hit the left ramp and the spinner shot, orbit on the left? Each machine I have played they are close to impossible to make. Does the flipper power need to be increased, or is it a flipper alignment problem? Shots marked with green arrows.
[quoted image]

Shaved bushings or spacers is my vote. I've seen such a difference that it feels like a whole new game to me!

#14107 2 years ago
Quoted from wayinla:

My upper flipper sometimes sticks in the fired position and won’t go down until another coil fires or until I press the left flipper button. Is this possibly an EOS gap issue? I see that the upper flipper doesn’t have an EOS switch. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Typically I see that happen when the spring either breaks or slips off.

#14139 2 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Just a PSA to all owners. I’ve been waiting for the replacement bushings like mostly everyone else but decided to check out Aniraf ’s X spacers to see if flipper height is indeed the last step for totally dialled in flippers on my game and it absolutely is. Every shot feels like it’s on rails now and all shots feel much easier to shoot. I hit the garage shot from the upper flipper 7 times during my first game. No more launched right ramp shots for me either. I’m ecstatic. So shave those bushings or buy or make your own spacers, just get it done. Takes this game from a 10 to a 12.

I am super happy that these are working for others!

I’ll add my own PSA: lower the flipper strength after installing! I would bet good money that Spooky’s solution comes along with adjusted coil power. I am now down to “25” on both flippers using all stock hardware and the May “beta” code. The default is 30 and it is way too much after correcting the flipper spacing. I plan to keep testing but I might go even lower. Ultimately this will be great for the coil heat generation.

#14147 2 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

Oh man, that is a lot of questions. OK OK...
Pinball Life:
I do not own Pinball Life, I am just the engineer here and I enjoy it greatly. This is my actual day job and anything else I do is outside of this.
R&M Falling Out:
No. There is absolutely no falling out with R&M and myself at all. It is the most insane layout I have come up with so far and I am extremely proud of it. R&M was built as a team effort by a very solid team of developers and I have full confidence in them. The reason I do not post in here very often is that there is so much going on here and I just don't have the time to keep up with it. I have created a few mods for R&M here and there that Pinball Life sells.
TNA Thread Activity:
As for the TNA thread, I did so much of the engineering, design, coding, sound, etc. on TNA that I am the best person to answer questions about it. I am also still actively taking feedback on that project and working on the 2.0 code update that will be able to be installed on all of the games.
I hope this answers your questions. I still love my R&M and play it a bunch.
--Scott

Thank you Scott! Very nice of you to answer my questions! I am always interested in how the world of pinball works.

R&M is a fantastic layout. The game balance, objectives and shots are fantastic. I'll be honest, I thought it was a bit of a "clunker" before adjusting the flipper gap but ever since then I'm loving the shots. I imagine the white wood felt different than the production model.

I think I'm speaking for everyone here when I say we appreciate your involvement and really love when Spooky, Eric and yourself comment in the forums. It improves the ownership experience for any game.

#14148 2 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

which PSA did you add?

I added this.

Quoted from Aniraf:

I’ll add my own PSA: lower the flipper strength after installing!

#14164 2 years ago
Quoted from HurryUpPinball:

If anyone is considering installing the Pinball Monk coil cooling fans, I made a tutorial on the install process. I just installed these and they work great. Stay safe and play more pinball.

I love your delivery! It reminds me of how it’s made. Very cool.

#14199 2 years ago
Quoted from Beamer2007:

Anyone know the link to the server where the spacer 3d print file is located? I have misplaced! thanks!

This is the one I designed: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4869750. I think there might be another out there somewhere.

#14200 2 years ago
Quoted from fnord:

If anyone's printing some more flipper spacers and is willing to ship please let me know

I am still printing and selling them but the screws have been hard to source. I literally just got off the phone with JMAC and they are now contacting HillmanGroup directly. Apparently these are manufactured in Ohio and should ship out tomorrow which means 3-5 more days. They offer no expedited shipping on orders less than 1000 boxes. I've also placed another order with a company called Fastenal which is supposed to be 2-4 days to my door.

PM me if you would like to make an order without the 5/8ths screws and I can get that in the mail tomorrow, otherwise I have to wait .

On the flip side, I am going to have a lot of f'ing screws if they all show up!

#14204 2 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I didn't mean to jack your mod btw, I just think a giant X requires too much to be removed.. But my thingiverse literally has a link to the screw you need. Mcmaster has nearly everything you could ever need, and pretty much everything is in stock, and most things are in bags of 100.
https://www.mcmaster.com/92470A196

No apologies needed! Different people are going to have different designs...that is what is fun about this .

For the record, the "X" portion on my design is simply there to make lining up all of the little "pads" easier. I wanted a solution that I could install with one hand. Also there is no need to remove the X portion. It will just sit under the flipper mech. It was specifically designed as an X so that it was both strong and unable to interfere with other components. My initial designs were rectangles.

If people like your solution I say they should totally go for it. It saves filament and as you've shown you can make them and ship them for way less than I could ever dream of doing . This "mod business" isn't exactly my first priority on the job front. Also...people like PinMonk run circles around my abilities. I just happened to have a few ideas that might improve the game we all love.

Oh, and on the screws you linked...I have been trying really hard to persist the slotted hex screws that come standard on the game. If you want to switch to pan head, that is certainly an option. Maybe I'm being too anal on that...I just like my pinballs to use hex .

#14205 2 years ago

toyotaboy it looks like that site you recommended might have the screws I'm using too...they are more expensive than the places I've mentioned. https://www.mcmaster.com/92470A196/drive-style~slotted/screw-size~no-8/length~5-8/tip-type~pointed/.

TY for the other reference for future fastener needs. I've never done this so ideas are really appreciated!

I did just get notice that one of my orders shipped today though...so I'm really hopeful now!

#14208 2 years ago
Quoted from orlandu81:

R&M BSE…meet PDI glass.
I am so spoiled on this glass now, but only buy it for the machines I plan on keeping forever given the price. The difference is mind blowing though![quoted image]

I am a sucker for that glass too. There are a few things in pinball I would have never thought made a difference but I was wrong.

#14209 2 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Those are metric.. an M4 is probably an equivalent to an 8-32, but most people aren't going to have a torx bit either. If you really want a slotted hex screw, you want this: https://www.mcmaster.com/90054A196/

Oh yeah, my link goes to the totally wrong place. Your link is correct.

#14221 2 years ago
Quoted from loneranger:

Thank you Aniraf for putting your spacer up on Thingiverse. I installed them in mine and wow, what a great improvement. I used 1/2 inch screws though and they hold just fine. Hopefully no one switches to the correct bushings whenever Spooky releases them and still uses the 5/8 inch screws - that would not be good.

Yes! I believe the 1/2 inch screws would work with the spacers as some of the screws spooky is using are 3/8ths. My logic was simple, add 1/8th of an inch in plastic...add 1/8th of an inch in screw. The theory is that if Spooky used a 1/2 inch screw and you put the 1/8th inch spacer in then went to 3/8ths inch screw you are technically filling the exact same void that was there in the first place.

If you want to use my spacers with 1/2 inch screws, go for it. I have not personally tested this but the logic is pretty straight forward. I would not use them with 3/8ths inch screws. So when you unscrew your flipper mech and end up with a random grab bag of 3/8ths and 1/2, make sure you put the 3/8ths aside and get more 1/2 .

Also, like loneranger said...absolutely do not remove the spacer and install 5/8ths screws. If you get or make a shorter bushing and don't like the spacer then remove it and go back to 1/2 inch screws. Effectively they will be at the exact same factory depth just like the 5/8ths were with the spacer.

That is a lot of fraction speak...hopefully this makes sense .

#14239 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

So, I saw the ad for the flipper standoffs and I had an epiphany. One of my 'complaints' about R&M is that most of the time when the ball hits the flippers, rather than bounce or bounce to the other flipper, it just hits, rolls down the flipper and drains. It happens more on this game than any other game I've played. Up until this point, I attributed it to the flipper rubbers (and I've been too lazy to get different ones). However, today it occurred to me, that maybe it isn't the rubbers, but instead the high flippers? Anyone can confirm if they saw this, and it happens less after lowering the flippers?

I've noticed an improvement in this as well. Lowering the flippers seems to improve the knockdown and the ability to dead bounce. I do not have a scientific measurement of this but as I've stated before...I'm shocked that it made that big of a difference.

#14280 2 years ago
Quoted from lookyloo:

If you haven’t lowered your flippers, find a way.
It changed ball control, flipper power (left ramp with more ease), shot accuracy… even the spin of the ball as it exited the horseshoe, which would sometimes go SDTM for me.
On my 3rd game with them lowered I got to adventure 10 on ball 2 (with the default gimme cards) and beat my high score by 50%… all with my upper flipper dead for my last 2 balls (time to re-solder again!).
Get spacers from Aniraf or toyotaboy, print your own spacers, shorten your bushings, get shortened bushings from PBL, get on the list for new bushings from Spooky… something!

Right!? It is insane how much better the game is!

#14284 2 years ago
Quoted from klr650:

I meant to ask: Have you settled on a final "power level" for your flippers? As per your other posts I have also lowered my power from 30 to 25. Still no problem making the ramps and the scoop (seems) to have less rejects. Have you found an absolute lower threshold yet (where you can't make the ramps?) Have you also experienced less scoop rejects at the lower power settings?

I think 25 is feeling like the sweet spot for me. I still get some aggressive shots, but the game feels really solid.

On a different not, I wanted to update everyone who has purchased from me. I had a miracle happen today where I was able to find some more screws at an Ace hardware on the other side of Phoenix, AZ. Every order prior to 6/8/2021 will be shipping out Monday! I really appreciate everyone's kindness and willingness to wait. I should have more screws coming from three different vendors this week. If they don't show I'm going to crawl in a hole .

#14320 2 years ago
Quoted from Our_Man_in_Oz:

I've always used a flipper gauge when tightening the flipper pawls, keeps the correct gap at all times with no fuss.

What the hell is a flipper gauge!?? I need this in my life!

#14334 2 years ago
Quoted from klr650:

Nice Robotron! Such a great game!

I’m more focused on that wallpaper in the background…is that an acid trip or what?

#14358 2 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

I just went through and installed the spacers for each flipper so they all sit lower now. I also installed mag switches on all the loops. Much better feel than stock! I just have to make some adjustments to a few of the rails but overall I am very happy. The only downside is I was so used to how it originally shot I am now having to make adjustments on when I flip for shots. Everything seems to need to be earlier now. But it is way better. Replacing the standard switches with mag switches has made the game super fast which I really like.
On a side note, I need to update to the latest code as I believe I am one version behind. Spooky...not sure if you read these posts but you have to do a better job of how you present code for your games on your website as well as change logs and past change logs. It is just a mess. I feel like I am visiting myspace when I go to download new code.

Yep! I had to change my timing completely...also flipper strength is down to 25 on both for me.

#14362 2 years ago
Quoted from LouMatt:

Welcome to the club man. A few dimples is not a big deal. Compared to other manufacturers its not even close, at least for me. The R&M playfield does have a few dimples, but man it is holding up way better. It is painful the first time you get a NIB from anyone and you see that happen though.

Have you modded your flippers yet? I noticed about 10x the dimples after the mod.

#14377 2 years ago
Quoted from gac:

Which mod? Your mod?

Well yes, I am using my mod...but I think any of the forms of flipper dropping on this thread are viable. You can use my mod, shave the bushings @toyotaboy's mod, or the PinballLife bushings. I'm not trying to promote my stuff...just saying that dropping the flippers gave me a lot more dimples.

#14383 2 years ago

I'm confused... So PBL has the bushings, but Spooky still has us waiting for our replacements?
Dude, spend a couple of bucks, and get people sorted FFS!!!!

Yeah, I don't know...I still feel like bushings are more of a pain in the ass to install, but they are probably the "best" solution. From my point of view I say drop your flippers however you want...the game is a dream come true once you do that .

#14424 2 years ago
Quoted from rdonohue13:

Unfortunately I just shelled out the 40 for X braces lol

Quoted from Pinball-Obsessed:

Put the order in for the x- spacer today and when I got home and checked my emails I saw the Spooky notification.

I absolutely do not want to screw over anyone! PM me and we can work something out. I know it seems self centered, but I still believe the spacers are the easier install and more scalable solution for Spooky. Maybe I am crazy, but I feel like designing a custom nylon bushing must be expensive. I also think it is weird that the flipper shaft would connect higher with the flipper arm. I have no scientific evidence that any of that means something, but my gut says 40 years of one configuration shouldn’t be changed for one playfield.

Again, I want to stress, these are my opinions and I do not want to peddle this shit. If you are unhappy with the spacer solution hit me up and we can talk.

#14505 2 years ago
Quoted from Llabnip1972:

I over tightened the flipper bolt and grooved the post. Can anyone tell me which flipper fits rick and morty. Pinball life doesnt describe any of the flipper/bat assemblies as fitting spooky or rick and morty specifically. Thanks

This is why I hate removing the stupid flippers! I think this game uses standard Williams style flipper bats. I don’t think you would have an issue with anything designed for Stern, Spooky, American or JJP. If anyone else knows for fact, please chime in.

#14559 2 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

Did some more modding on the R&M over the weekend.

First, the game looks awesome, Second, it made my day to see the portal protector on a game outside of my own! Hopefully it was an easy install.

#14619 2 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

do you buy the new bushings from Pinball life or something?

It sounds like Spooky will send them to you if you a) email them and b) enjoy rebuilding flippers .

#14718 2 years ago
Quoted from Beamer2007:

Ok, so then I should use the new 5/8ths on the outside and use the supplied 1/2's on the insides?
thanks!

You totally can do that. I decided I would just do 5/8th all the way around because I am never changing it back. I don’t see any particular logic for the mixed sizes.

#14719 2 years ago

You're absolutely right. I've had to put washers on two of the magnets that the ball was hanging on, and now, my inner orbit isn't registering. I'll probably just try the washer trick, but if someone was able to make a 3D printable piece to fit it, it would definitely look and install better than washers.
Hey Aniraf or toyotaboy you guys feeling bored today?

Haha. I can take a look when I get home.

This is such an excellent call out that I didn’t even realize. R&M is the only game I’ve ever played where the ball can pinch between the rollover switch and wire guide in my inlane. I didn’t think about the playfield width at all. The magnetic switches are amazing, but I bet we just needed to drop the standard switches the whole time!

#14720 2 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

That's why I kept replying to you. For R&M, I don't believe the larger screws would poke through the PF, but they might create some unsightly humps. If this weren't an issue, Spooky wouldn't have gone to the trouble of using different sized screws. When I first got the machine, I thought it was simply a mistake, but Luke/Scott lmk it was very intentional.
I hope the next game goes back to standard PF width...flipper brackets should really have the full length screws all around!

I measured the thickness of the playfield and I am 99% confident nobody is going to get a “micro hump” on plywood. If this were hardwood or something not engineered, I would not have advised 24 of the same screw.

I hand installed mine until the were tight. You don’t have to go wild on the torque when you have all 8 properly cutting into the wood. On my friends machine (second test machine I used) some of this 1/2 inch screws were hanging on by a few threads.

#14772 2 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

If the spacers truly produced the same result, Spooky and their parts supplier would have sent us spacers (rather than do the costly retooling on the flipper bushings).

I cannot vouch for the life of the spacers any more than I can vouch for the life of a bushing. With my purely anecdotal evidence I will say that I have seen cracked bushings, but to date I have never seen a cracked spacer (granted I don’t know of a game with a spaced flipper mech ). With the data we have, I think it is slightly premature to think that spacers are a temp fix.

As for resale machines, I could say that if I went to replace bushings on a machine then realized my existing stock of bushings do not work, I would be pretty pissed.

I designed and used the spacers because I cannot bear to see a small company customize an irrelevant part of a machine like this. Even if the design, casting, testing, etc. cost them less than $1000 (which I doubt) it is a waste.

I installed the spacers because rebuilding flippers is a pain. Yes, it is technically “easy” and I have done it at least 100 times, but it is annoying to me. I tried to think of ultra convenience with my design. I even printed them in high contrast colors so you could easily see them through the existing mech holes.

As for the cost, I am the first to tell you that I am charging too much. As I said early on, I priced these based on my time and materials. I am confident someone could make them for way less but screws, envelopes, shipping and time add up. I shared the design so that anyone who has or knows anyone with a 3D printer could create them.

For the record, I messaged Spooky KT on these forums and offered my solution to them for free. I did not get a message back, so I went ahead and kept selling them.

I am sure nobody was looking for the opinion from the guy who is selling the damn things, but there it is .

#14783 2 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

None of my posts questioned your cost, price, motivation, or resale impact, so I'm confused why your long-winded response is directed at me.
Random note: I've owned 60-70 machines over 20 years and have never had a cracked bushing.
Minor/obvious point: Rebuilding flippers is a normal part of maintaining a pinball machine.

Oh no, sorry! Not at you. I was just dumping my thoughts and i quoted that one thing you said on the strength.

Everyone is being totally cool in this forum. I don’t feel threatened or anything. Sorry it is hard to write stuff without it taking on emotional tones.

I struggle to believe that the spacer would shift or break, but full disclosure I didn’t believe 1/8th of an inch on the flippers would change the game.

#14789 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinstym:

To everyone who installed the x spacers, PLEASE leave yourself (or the potential future owner of your game) a warning note about the longer screws you used with the spacers. Do it now. Someone is going to switch to shorter bushings with longer screws and go through the pf. Don't be that someone.

This is probably a smart idea. I would be heart broken if someone removed the spacers and then screwed through the playfield. Maybe that is why Spooky went with bushings? I don’t think the 5/8th screws will break the surface, but they could dimple it.

Quoted from snaroff:

Random note: I've owned 60-70 machines over 20 years and have never had a cracked bushing.

I had exactly one on a Firepower I bought. The game was pretty beat before I restored it, but the whole top of the bushing was cracked and tore off when I removed the flipper.

Another note, like I said…everyone is great in this thread. However you do it, lower those flippers! I’ll work on something for the switches when I get home per WizardsCastle request. Important hind sight, my outline wires can actually stop a ball. It is rare, so I didn’t really think about it. They might be nice to lower or bend the wire.

#14792 2 years ago

What the fix for this?

I used a Dremel on mine and took more of the lock nut off. My friends game is perfect and makes no contact with the back board. Someone else on here made a welded diverted that looked excellent, but it was a one off and not for sale.

#14815 2 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Here's my own diverter smoother, made for free with clear flexible polycarbonate plastic salvaged from throwaway packaging (reduce, re-use, recycle!):
[quoted image]
I simply cut the piece of plastic to fit and laminated it to the diverter flap with clear packing tape (aka mylar) as shown. The plastic covers the screw heads and forms a nice, smooth, even surface for the ball to glide right over them. I installed the flap without removing or adjusting any part of the diverter, and it would be easily removed and replaced if needed. The plastic should be durable and not wear out, but only time will tell.
IMPORTANT NOTE: the overlapping portion on the right side, ends up not being needed! In one of my posts above I described amazement at the difference 1/8" can make... As it turns out, the 1/16 thickness of that plastic flap overlapping the right side wall, was enough to deflect a ball away from the garage entirely, and instead into the spinner lane! It was so smooth I thought my diverter had quit working - but when I removed the house and played the game to investigate, I was shocked to see the ball deflect from that. Yeah: geometry with speed is a cruel bitch So I cut the plastic flap flush with end of the diverter, but still covering the screw heads. There's no binding (my diverter fasteners are not scraping the backboard) and the overlay flap's intended effect is still in place.
The shot is now so smooth and reliable from either direction and path at any speed, it's one of my favorite shots in this or any game.

Now this I would gladly buy. I completely agree this shot is amazing and could be smoother. Your solution looks really good. I wonder if we could somehow combine it with Lounge solution and create the ultimate diverter for this game?

#14834 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I didn't seem to notice any overly powerful flippers after installing them. Played a few games, didn't notice much different other than I can hit the orbits easier, but the ramps my timing is off.

I noticed that dropping the flippers changed the angle of every shot. Once I got used to it, it felt really good. I wish I could sell higher scores, but that I cannot do .

#14851 2 years ago

I am having an issue where one of the right drop target in the horseshoe won’t drop to release a ball when multiball is triggered. It tries really hard, then just gives up and holds the ball there. Oddly, there seems to be no way to free it other than removing the glass or restarting the game. You can wait for at least five minutes and it will not fire a chase ball or cycle the solenoids hard enough to free it.

#14868 2 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Exactly. The red box annotates the left drop bracket which was bent from the ball smacking it from behind. The black line shows approx. how much it was out of whack. Photos certainly aren't exact, but should give folks an idea of what the fix was (for me, at least).[quoted image]

Thank you all for the tips on the drops! That makes a ton of sense.

#14869 2 years ago

My stupid “plastic spring” for the ship broke again! I am not purchasing and installing another one of these! I decided to redesign it and I am very close to what I consider a much better design for this feature.

I am not sure if there is a market for an improved ship dangler thing, but I’ll be looking for a few people to test if anyone is interested. Just PM me so that I know.

I’ll share the design and how it works pretty soon. I just need to make a few more adjustments.

#14873 2 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

MET... AL.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aw-jeez-official-rick-and-morty-club/page/219#post-6139839
This is not a plug, I barely make anything off of this at $15. I made this because I saw how many were breaking, so I knew I needed one for myself.. And the only way to make them cheaply is to make a lot of them. I must have shipped 50 and have not had a single person go "hey man, your spring metal ship mount broke"

Yeah, I think that is absolutely a durable solution but I wanted something that blocked less of the artwork. I’ll try to show you what I’ve got later today, I’ve been super busy. :/

#14892 2 years ago

Hey everyone, I wanted to give an early preview of my new "Ship Dangler". I came up with this idea because I've been through two "plastic springs" now. I firmly believe it is not a question of "if it will break" rather "when will it break".

What I'm trying to do is to create something that is simple to assemble, reliable and visually better than the stock version. I feel pretty confident that I have cracked the code, but I'll leave you all to decide.

Essentially what I've done is to "pinch" the existing plastic hole with a TPU flange I call the "wiggler". On top of that I have a part which copies the spooky clear plastic PETG design allowing for me to maintain the stock spooky aesthetic. Lastly, instead of using hot glue to hold the spring into the "funnel" I've created a lock which mates with the spring and allows for you to use one of the stock screws and lock nuts to hold the thing together. I am a big believer in being able to disassemble things without damage .

I'm going to post some pictures of the design and prototypes. I expect to print the final "wiggler" in transparent TPU in order to do my best to hide it and show off the artwork currently blocked by the plastic spring. If there is interest in this thing, I would be happy to record a couple of videos which try to detail how it works.

Overall the final product leaves you with a cleaner looking plastic minus the fact that you now have four unused holes cut into the plastic. Personally, I'd rather have the small holes in the plastic than the huge spring, but to each his own. Plus I figured if I opened up four holes in the middle of the playfield, other creative mod makers could come up with some cool stuff .

Let me know what you think.

sideExplanation (resized).pngsideExplanation (resized).pngisoWholePart (resized).jpgisoWholePart (resized).jpgisoWholePartTransparent (resized).jpgisoWholePartTransparent (resized).jpgIMG_0563 (resized).jpegIMG_0563 (resized).jpeg
#14895 2 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Exactly. The red box annotates the left drop bracket which was bent from the ball smacking it from behind. The black line shows approx. how much it was out of whack. Photos certainly aren't exact, but should give folks an idea of what the fix was (for me, at least).[quoted image]

Hey snaroff are you bending them towards the from of the playfield or away? Is there anything you are using as a guide? Are they supposed to be a perfectly perpendicular to the playfield (90 degrees). Thank you!

TheNoTrashCougar do you happen to have any suggestions for the Danesi lock 2.0 failing to eject balls stuck behind the drop targets? The drop tests work flawlessly, it is just an issue when the weight of the ball is behind it.

#14911 2 years ago
Quoted from MutterFudder:

I LIKE WHAT YOU GOT! GOOD JOB!
But seriously, I'd likely pick one up for replacement when the next plastic breaks. I like the look of it. Any changes needed to the shaft length given that the wiggler sits lower?

Nope, I designed it so that it could drop in without modification.

#14926 2 years ago

Does anyone feel like Spooky has kind of gone dark on this game? I am super happy for them with the Halloween/Ultraman pin, but they seem to be spending so much time on those threads whereas they never mention anything in this one.

To me, the game is new. I guess to them it is old news?. I am wondering if we’re stuck with that final beta code since this thread pissed off the developer?

Am I alone on this one, or do others see it as well?

#14956 2 years ago

Would anyone be so kind as to shoot me a video recording of their ship post test running on the stock Lexan cut spring? I want to ensure my new dangler gives a very similar amount of waggle . TY in advance!

#14965 2 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Skip to end. Thats the original plastic without reliefs. Cleared 1000 plays long ago.

Excellent! Thank you so much! I cannot believe you got 1000 plays out of the factory one!! No changes in power or anything?

#14966 2 years ago
Quoted from USMCSGT0331:

Thank you very much for the help! It might be a blown fuse, there's one that doesn't look like the others (#4 in the pic, lower right corner).
[quoted image]
Here it is compared to another fuse, possible problem fuse on the right:
[quoted image]
The fuse on the left is a single wire with a ball in the middle, the one on the right is a twisted wire and the wire is still connected.

The fuse on the right looks blown visually, but you could test it with a cheap multimeter if you have one.

#14990 2 years ago

I think I got the waggle of the dangler working exactly like the stock solution.

I am really optimistic that this implementation will solve the problem completely. I am going to contact spooky and see if they would sell those playfield plastics without the holes cut in them .

#15056 2 years ago
Quoted from riggy469:

Thanks, that did the trick.
Next question, how difficult is it to remove the house?

Easy, but I recommend taking off both ramps to clearly access the screws on the side of the house. Some houses (like mine) have an additional hex screw on top of the house pushing it down.

2 weeks later
#15466 2 years ago

I really think this game is great once everything is dialed in, do you think that Spooky would ever consider making more of them? I have to believe the demand would still be quite large.

1 week later
#15650 2 years ago

Hey epthegeek thanks for putting in all the awesome work. If you don't hear it enough, we appreciate it big time!

epthegeek this game is truly exceptional. We all want more missions, callouts, and dimensions but I have to say that coming out of the box and into this code has been a really great experience. Thank you!

#15720 2 years ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

The screws that come with the x spacers are plenty long enough. It will work with the pin monk cooler fans.

I haven’t tested it myself, but I do believe it would work fine. I need to order some of those fans!

#15721 2 years ago

I’ll be honest…some of those ideas sound pretty great. I am yet another person who would gladly pay for DLC updates to my pins. I understand software cost money, and I am happy to pay that money for a current code package. One of my favorite things about this game is the insanely random dimensions I get. If the adventures were the same way, I would be thrilled.

#15737 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

“Only 12 modes on the mansion! I want a bigger mansion with 19 modes! I need a mansion extension!”

I think the market is changing a lot. More of us have these in our homes than ever before. Most people are just going to get bored with the same content over and over. I actually love @pinmonk’s idea to do a sequel.

Quoted from rotordave:

Exactly. And where would it end?

It would end the exact moment you didn’t want to pay for the next update.

At the end of the day, there is no perfect solution. As many have said, we got an amazing game (post fixes) and that is enough. I think my love for the game just makes me always desire more content. If you had 50 adventures, and 100 dimensions, the game would be a random crapshoot of amazing every time you played it.

#15781 2 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Question for you guys. Finally got my machine today, while cleaning it I noticed this under the house, is this normal or a stray piece that wandered off?[quoted image]

That is a factory piece of plastic. I am not sure what it does, but it has been installed on the three games I’ve looked at.

#15850 2 years ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

I've been wanting a RM because I love the show, hadn't played it yet. I went to Electric Bat because they had a bunch of games I wanted to try, but RM was my target. WOW it was So awesome! Haven't had that much fun playing pinball so far except for LOTR. Anything that can make me laugh and cuss at the same time, wins! Also for the first time got to play TNA, TWD, BSD, GOT and MB. TNA/BSD was next fav, but RM still takes it for me. Look forward to picking one up
[quoted image]

The amazing thing is that the game gets a ton of play and they use the X Spacers! I am still monitoring to see if over time there could be an issue.

Quoted from moTiv8:

I used 2mm spacers and the original screws and this was the result.
Right Flipper is also already loose.
Check your Assemblies Guys.

This sucks. I have a ton of the screws I recommend with the spacers. If you want to PM me, I could send a set for the price of shipping.

#15855 2 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:

This customer, not only put MRS' in the problematic upper quadrant of the playfield - but also at the in/out-lanes and the shooter lane! Looks good - probably plays ridiculously fast.
Matt
M&M Creations

The future of pinball is now! I love these things!

1 week later
#15956 2 years ago

I agree, I actually think it is a big improvement for pinball to use that style of lockdown bar.

1 week later
#16013 2 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

I realize now that a lot of people may not use the cheap plastic glare guards to play in dim or dark conditions. Since you just slide them in you only need one or two no matter what size your collection is. They work fantastic and are a must for playing in the dark. And did I point out they're *cheap*.
-----------> Speaking of the new display available for R&M...
Inky black. Black as deep space. Black as the Reaper's robe. Black as the void you stare into... with nothing looking back.
Running out of sayings but you get the idea.
Plus the blacks in the dark have no grey at *any* angle. So your semi-bored friends milling around waiting for you to lose the ball can enjoy the show in all it's glory. Remember you're already risking your small expensive items letting friends wander around in the dark. Frisk them before they leave. They'll love it.
I have to give a shout out to "Harry" for doing the legwork. Despite my moaning about the screen I didn't want to repeatedly order the wrong parts until I got lucky. Which might never have happened. So I just let him do it.
With his perfectly fitting brackets and the screen and controller the total cost is under 200 bucks. Yes you'd lose your old CARGP status but it will be well worth it. Lloyd will know what this means. And a few other old timers.
Who should NOT get Harry's new screen kit with the appropriately neon green brackets:
a. You don't play R&M in the dark or dim light (what's *wrong* with you!?)
b. You're a cheap bastard. (This used to be a point of pride in earlier times but now it is VERBOTEN in today's "pinball lifestyle").
c. You're shorter than 5'11" or maybe 5'8" or so. (what's *wrong* with you! j/k).
Ok I've only been paid enough to write this much copy so we're done. (yes j/k for those about to call me a shill).
I can't help it. I get excited.

Can we buy the monitors now? I thought there was a thread where they were collecting interest for different machines. I was basically waiting for the invoice. I am absolutely in on TNA and R&M.

#16035 2 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Just got them listed on the site. Screens are being shipped so once they arrive we'll fill any orders that are placed in the meantime. This is the full kit with screen, controller and brackets: https://pinballmods.co/upgraded-ips-lcd-spooky-pinball

Perfect! Order is in! Ty!

1 month later
#16429 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

How many people have defeated every mode to get to a final Wizard mode? It’d be a lot of coding work to create something that only a few people would ever see. Keith Elwin referenced this in a podcast a while back. You put the coding work “up front” where 99% of people will see it.
It’s like the XMen thread - one guy kept saying “should be a Major Wizard mode for completing both Heroes and Villains” … then later admitted he had only ever beaten 2 villains anyway. So the chances of him ever seeing it were less than zero. Lol
I would say the game is pretty complete as it is.
rd

I think the interesting difference with Rick and Morty is that you could add 30 more silly dimensions or a few more random callouts and the game would be even better. The structure of the game is so elegant that it doesn’t need super complex wizard modes as much as it needs more dynamic content. I am still surprised by things and I have played it 100s of times. If you added more of that content…reskinned existing modes with other show references, or provided more audio drops, the game would go from a 10 to an 11.

I do think it is a bit shitty that Spooky bailed on this game so fast. I had every expectation that they would invest in it for at least a year. I think Scott spoiled me with TNA.

#16431 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Huh?
What the actual …
There is 10x more code work in Rick and Morty than TNA.
Probably 20x more.
I can’t believe some of the shit I read here.
You guys will never be happy.
rd

I’m talking about how Scott continues to work on it even to this day. Not the complexity or amount of code. The approach to continual evolution.

#16473 2 years ago
Quoted from Hench4Life:

I think the bushings really make a big difference and are well worth the offer putting them in.
[quoted image]

Do you notice a difference between the bushings and the spacers? I had assumed that would not be a measurable difference. I guess it could be influenced by the bushings being new and clean like you mentioned as well.

#16484 2 years ago

These are the ones I ship with the kit. They have them at ace sometimes.

5A2E87DD-4661-433E-A6F4-EF505C3BB49F (resized).jpeg5A2E87DD-4661-433E-A6F4-EF505C3BB49F (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#16707 2 years ago

Has anyone thought to reach out to Adult Swim or Green Portal Production and ask if they would be willing to help some suckers out? Hell, can we just uncompile the code and add our own non-licensed stuff?

#16722 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

For the sake of everyone in pinball, please don't ever reach out to the licensor on your own. Yikes.

Point taken.

#16723 2 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

It’s kind of like unscrambling an egg…. doesn’t exactly work like that. PinBrowser will allow you to swap assets but I don’t know if it works on Spooky machines.

Oh, it works like that. If something can be engineered, it can be reverse engineered. The trick is time and money. With only 750 owners, the reward isn’t great enough for someone to spend time hacking it.

#16736 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Currently, the game does do some weighting on the random to try to give adventures you haven’t played recently more of a chance to show up - but it doesn’t track those kind of stats over time between power downs, and anything you haven’t already played in the current game is always a possibility, even if it’s a smaller one.
So, for example, if you play a game and play whirly and scary terry - then start a new game, it’s mathematically less likely that you’ll get whirly or terry, but they ARE still possible.
I could revamp that stuff. It’s not the kind of thing that needs licensor approval. Just not sure if it’s worth the time.

However you did the random in this game it is brilliant! I don’t know if you used rand + time of day or date logic, but I would swear things were choreographed. I have played it hundreds of times and I think I still hear new things every once in a while.

#16737 2 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

Once compiled and then uncompiled, it does not literally translate back into the line of code you typed to create the processing command. Yes, you can see what’s happening at the processor level but you don’t get the structure that was used to create the ML. You won’t ‘see’ my code. Hence my comment, “it doesn’t exactly work like that.”
You can unscramble the egg but you don’t get the egg you started with is my point.

Yes, but imagine instead of scrambling an egg, I just locked it in a car. I think that is a better analogy for how I see this going in the future.

1 week later
#16788 2 years ago
Quoted from RedbirdGT:

Do you have any pictures handy showing your rail geometry? I'm thinking a minor tweak to the the leading edges of the garage guide rail, the rail to the upper flipper, and the noob-noob loop could smooth transitions and make the garage shot a little more forgiving. It seems like the start of the rail shouldn't be so far forward of the post.
Here's how mine are currently.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I took the middle screw out of that ball guide and bend the metal tab upwards hoping to absorb the impact more. I feel it made a great difference. That said, make sure you do you flipper drop before you start adjusting things on the playfield. The game plays much different with those lowered flippers.

1 week later
#16901 2 years ago

What is the part number for those drop target switches? I can’t quite tell if they are just generic micro switches or something specific. I’ll go help Medik8 out since I know where he lives .

2 weeks later
#17011 2 years ago

I would pay top dollar for underground Eric code. I wouldn’t even talk about it. No rule changes, just content .

6 months later
#18418 1 year ago

Hey everyone, I posted over on the NinjaCamp thread (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ninjacamp-mods/page/13#post-7091164) but I thought I would put one here as well...

I decided to drop an old design I did for Rick and Morty. I had everything finished, but never got around to posting it. Basically the ship has a "plastic spring" which is prone to cracking or breaking. I redesigned the entire mechanism and came up with something clean which should never break. Like my other Rick and Morty mods, I'm happy to sell you a printed version (https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1326-ninjacamp-mods/07113-rick-and-morty-ship-dangler) but I also decided to put the 3d printed models out there for anyone who is interested in trying to make this for themselves. (https://www.printables.com/model/262529-rick-and-morty-ship-dangler).

It is important to note that this mod slightly changes the aesthetic of the area by removing the large clear plastic used as a spring. Also it requires you to remove some hot glue which was applied at the factory. It is relatively simple, but you might want to check the instructions (http://instructions.ninjacamp.com/) before purchasing.

sideExplanation (resized).pngsideExplanation (resized).pngIMG_1110 (resized).jpegIMG_1110 (resized).jpeg
#18426 1 year ago
Quoted from manadams:

Pinball life has replacement hinge plastics. I think there is a way to adjust the coil rod from pushing up on plastic so far causing it to break eventually, never had to mess with mine.
https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PBL-300-0185-00

Comically, I just posted this https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aw-jeez-official-rick-and-morty-club/page/369#post-7091171 like 5 posts ago . It is an option if you want one that will never break.

1 week later
#18466 1 year ago
Quoted from guitarded:

A Thousand X this.
Just Updated today, decided to take a whirl at a random Dimension and Moonman.
Drew the Ball-Check Dimension for the 1st time ever.
Laughed so hard I barely scored 100k.
So well done, all around. EP is aweome.

I honestly think this could be one of the best games ever. The only thing that holds it back is half baked construction and the license nonsense. Once you throw a couple of mods in to smooth out the wrinkles, the game is an absolute joy and the rules are exceptional.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 399.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Bent Mods

$ 13,500.00
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Trade
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, IN
$ 28.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 11.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Aniraf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aw-jeez-official-rick-and-morty-club?tu=Aniraf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.