(Topic ID: 257850)

Official Rick and Morty Club - You are not like other carbon based life forms.

By TheNoTrashCougar

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20,217 posts
  • 742 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 hours ago by Octomodz
  • Topic is favorited by 333 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3963 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3962 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3961 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3960 (resized).jpeg
RAM ALT Translite 2022.3.19 (resized).jpg
IMG_3481 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_6211325_0 (resized).png
IMG_1914 (resized).jpeg
RAM L Loop Guard fail2b 2024.3.24 (resized).jpg
b5f006fa-9417-42d1-8730-250ad8488fb6.__CR0,0,1080,1080_PT0_SX300_V1___ (resized).jpg
P3230229 (resized).JPG
P3230228 (resized).JPG
rm-bcm (resized).jpg
20240213_184156 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
422528975_3643555955960477_8769668710301573887_n (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

106 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 20,217 posts in this topic. You are on page 296 of 405.
#14751 2 years ago

I hope we get some new and different Morty’s to play as i.e. Eric Stoltz “Mask” Morty.

As far as adventures, I’m really hoping for the Vindicators, Heistcon and Vat of Acid.
For some reason I really want to hear “look at the bones on that rat” as a callout.

I’m sure whatever dimensions Ep cooks up will be dope.

#14752 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Well they did JUST start shipping the new bushings. I went ahead and ordered X's anyway to put in. I don't like messing with flippers any more than necessary. Since these have gotten good reviews, I'll put these on for now. Later if I need to do something that requires removing the the flippers, I'll switch to the new bushings.

I get that "messing with flippers" is a PITA, but I think the effort is worth the reward in this case (it's the flippers, after all). Spooky did the right thing and produced proper fitting flipper bushings because it's the right solution. IMHO, the flipper brackets should be mounted directly to the PF...inserting spacers is a cool quick hack, but sticking with it for an extended period when you have proper bushings in hand doesn't make sense to me. My $.02.

Quoted from WizardsCastle:

This game has personality and character, which I haven't seen much of since the 90s B/W era.

Amen. Frankly, I think it has more personality/character than any game I've owned.

#14753 2 years ago

You guys are insane.

PF layout on this game is amazing.

No Flow? My Flow Mobius is sitting at 10 shots...that's quite the combo, there.

Sorry. Unless you just plain suck at pinball, I can't see how you could find this game anything but refreshing.

Code is great. With Adventure Card set at 0 (not at factory pre), you have an extremely challenging task to make it to Love Potion #9.

Still playing my machine as it was sent from the factory and have no problems hitting any of the shots (when I actually hit them).

#14754 2 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

You guys are insane.
PF layout on this game is amazing.
No Flow? My Flow Mobius is sitting at 10 shots...that's quite the combo, there.
Sorry. Unless you just plain suck at pinball, I can't see how you could find this game anything but refreshing.
Code is great. With Adventure Card set at 0 (not at factory pre), you have an extremely challenging task to make it to Love Potion #9.
Still playing my machine as it was sent from the factory and have no problems hitting any of the shots (when I actually hit them).

I think you responded to the wrong thread. No one here was disputing that...that was a discussion in the next spooky thread.

#14755 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I think you responded to the wrong thread. No one here was disputing that...that was a discussion in the next spooky thread.

Damn.
You are right! Crossed up my response.

Sorry about that.

#14756 2 years ago

I will say that after adding the spacers to drop the flippers, my game has suffered...mostly because of the muscle memory I built with the original set up. It is interesting. Feels like the upper flipper is giving me the hardest trouble, probably because timing is so crucial. But I am going to keep playing because I do like how the lower flippers feel now. Can still backhand the right ramp. If I couldn't do that, I would have switched back!

#14757 2 years ago

No matter what, when you realign flippers, you’ll probably never got them all exactly where they were. I need to revisit my upper but I’m afraid the pawl isn’t up to another tightening. I need to see if I still have an extra before I give it a whirl.

#14758 2 years ago
Quoted from RedPlunger:

I hope we get some new and different Morty’s to play as i.e. Eric Stoltz “Mask” Morty.
As far as adventures, I’m really hoping for the Vindicators, Heistcon and Vat of Acid.
For some reason I really want to hear “look at the bones on that rat” as a callout.

Heistcon would be an amazing mode. Hit a shot to collect one of the crew, then hit the scoop to trigger a "You son of a bitch, I'm in" cut scene. Rinse and repeat, then have to hit some crazy combo as the "twist ending." Yes, please.

#14759 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

The reed switches are brilliant - never ever fail.
Why are you guys using the x spacers instead of new bushings or cutting the busing down?
Just because it’s easier to install?

I went with the X spacers due to easier install + not wanting to need special "Spooky" flipper bushings forever more for this game. I'd rather have the spacers installed and use regular widely available bushings.

But really, either way solves the problem. Highly recommended.

#14760 2 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I went with the X spacers due to easier install + not wanting to need special "Spooky" flipper bushings forever more for this game. I'd rather have the spacers installed and use regular widely available bushings.
But really, either way solves the problem. Highly recommended.

For the record, it sounds like Spooky bushings will be around for awhile as I believe they stated they would be used in the new game as well.

#14761 2 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I get that "messing with flippers" is a PITA, but I think the effort is worth the reward in this case (it's the flippers, after all). Spooky did the right thing and produced proper fitting flipper bushings because it's the right solution. IMHO, the flipper brackets should be mounted directly to the PF...inserting spacers is a cool quick hack, but sticking with it for an extended period when you have proper bushings in hand doesn't make sense to me. My $.02.

I know you qualified this statement with IMHO and My $0.02 and I definitely appreciate your opinion, but I am curious as what others think about it. I am planning on installing the spacers this weekend, but if there really is some kind of advantage to using the shorter bushings/direct mount to playfield over the spacers, I might change my mind.

Seems like the same end result with the spacers being an easier install. Plus, I already bought the spacers, so there is that.

#14762 2 years ago

Bought the spacers, have the updated bushings. Personally, the spacers were an easier install and I hate taking out the flipper bat/pawl/bushings -- as mentioned above, it's practically impossible to get it back even the first time through, and the pawls tend to have a limited life of on again/off again. I am very happy with the spacers as I'm getting the desired result with minimal effort.

When it comes time to rebuild the flipper mechs on the game, I'll take the bushings out and replace them with the shorter ones. I personally don't feel the need to do a rebuild-level of effort right now. I fully appreciate the bushings being the correct height is the "correct" fix and feels better, but I'm getting what I need now and I have what I need later.

Your mileage -- clearly, based on the variety of opinions already shared -- will vary. But I'm happy with my spacers.

#14763 2 years ago
Quoted from MutterFudder:

Bought the spacers, have the updated bushings. Personally, the spacers were an easier install and I hate taking out the flipper bat/pawl/bushings -- as mentioned above, it's practically impossible to get it back even the first time through, and the pawls tend to have a limited life of on again/off again. I am very happy with the spacers as I'm getting the desired result with minimal effort.
When it comes time to rebuild the flipper mechs on the game, I'll take the bushings out and replace them with the shorter ones. I personally don't feel the need to do a rebuild-level of effort right now. I fully appreciate the bushings being the correct height is the "correct" fix and feels better, but I'm getting what I need now and I have what I need later.
Your mileage -- clearly, based on the variety of opinions already shared -- will vary. But I'm happy with my spacers.

Ditto this... Exactly.

The spacers do the exact same thing without doing a flipper rebuild. The flippers will need to be rebuilt down the road when they wear out, and put the proper bushings in at that time. But in the meantime, just use what is already there with the spacers. Otherwise, you are replacing perfectly good parts which is a waste of time and money.

#14764 2 years ago

A significant advantage to replacing the bushings might not be obvious now, but in a few years.

Replacing the bushings will avoid disaster when it's time for more comprehensive work that requires more than just the fipper mechs to come off... and you (or a subsequent owner) don't remember or notice the "shimmed" flipper mechs used longer screws, and thus mix one up with a standard one en route to poking a nice ruinous topside hole through that otherwise beautiful PF.

Replacing the bushing will avail the consistent use of OEM disaster-proof "short" screws throughout, and prevent this nightmare. For that alone I intend to replace the bushing as soon as it makes "sense" to do so. The mild PITA now could spare a crushing heartache later.

Failing that, at the VERY LEAST you should paint the heads of longer shim-screws to make their difference readily obvious!

#14765 2 years ago

Can anyone tell me how to achieve the extra ball, just realized I've been playing the game for a few weeks and I still haven't done it.

Thanks

#14766 2 years ago
Quoted from Hammer1021:

Can anyone tell me how to achieve the extra ball, just realized I've been playing the game for a few weeks and I still haven't done it.
Thanks

Enter 3 different dimensions, and it will light up on the left inner orbit. I think you can also get one from the scoop.

I haven't looked, but I imagine you can change that dimension # in the settings.

#14767 2 years ago
Quoted from MutterFudder:

I'm happy with my spacers.

Quoted from Calfdemon:

use what is already there with the spacers.

Quoted from goingincirclez:

paint the heads of longer shim-screws

Thanks everyone!

My plan is to install the spacers with a dab of paint on the new screw heads and then put the original screws in a bag in the coinbox with a note to my future self/next owner that says "Use With Shorter Flipper Bushings".

#14768 2 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar123:

I know you qualified this statement with IMHO and My $0.02 and I definitely appreciate your opinion, but I am curious as what others think about it. I am planning on installing the spacers this weekend, but if there really is some kind of advantage to using the shorter bushings/direct mount to playfield over the spacers, I might change my mind.
Seems like the same end result with the spacers being an easier install. Plus, I already bought the spacers, so there is that.

Just to be clear...I already had ~800 games played and my coil stops and plungers had some wear, so I decided to rebuild the flippers coincident with getting the new bushings. It took me the better part of an afternoon to do all 3 flippers (the right bottom flipper is really awkward to fiddle with).

If the spacers truly produced the same result, Spooky and their parts supplier would have sent us spacers (rather than do the costly retooling on the flipper bushings). Again, the spacer is a cool/clever hack. Different strokes. Rebuilding flippers isn't that difficult and I'm not into the potential of unintended consequences of installing adhoc flipper solutions.

#14769 2 years ago

I adjusted my garage shot following the various directions listed here, but I'm still getting a ton of rattling. Do I want to add more curve or less on the lower rail?

And what's the best method to adjust the switches to get more consistent switch hits?

#14770 2 years ago
Quoted from RedPlunger:

I was thinking the other part of that episode with the reset button. Start the mode, rack up points, but if you hit the Morty target, your score resets

#14771 2 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I adjusted my garage shot following the various directions listed here, but I'm still getting a ton of rattling. Do I want to add more curve or less on the lower rail?
And what's the best method to adjust the switches to get more consistent switch hits?

It's tight as really the rail is a bit too short. You should be following the art pretty close, and the bottom end of the rail end up just slightly above the post. That spot will not line up exactly. To get it truly where it needs to be you have to loosen your wood rail on the left and slide one of the tabs under it IIRC. It will be very tight up against a bulb. Some people left screws out in the middle, but I put in new holes so it isn't wobbling.

#14772 2 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

If the spacers truly produced the same result, Spooky and their parts supplier would have sent us spacers (rather than do the costly retooling on the flipper bushings).

I cannot vouch for the life of the spacers any more than I can vouch for the life of a bushing. With my purely anecdotal evidence I will say that I have seen cracked bushings, but to date I have never seen a cracked spacer (granted I don’t know of a game with a spaced flipper mech ). With the data we have, I think it is slightly premature to think that spacers are a temp fix.

As for resale machines, I could say that if I went to replace bushings on a machine then realized my existing stock of bushings do not work, I would be pretty pissed.

I designed and used the spacers because I cannot bear to see a small company customize an irrelevant part of a machine like this. Even if the design, casting, testing, etc. cost them less than $1000 (which I doubt) it is a waste.

I installed the spacers because rebuilding flippers is a pain. Yes, it is technically “easy” and I have done it at least 100 times, but it is annoying to me. I tried to think of ultra convenience with my design. I even printed them in high contrast colors so you could easily see them through the existing mech holes.

As for the cost, I am the first to tell you that I am charging too much. As I said early on, I priced these based on my time and materials. I am confident someone could make them for way less but screws, envelopes, shipping and time add up. I shared the design so that anyone who has or knows anyone with a 3D printer could create them.

For the record, I messaged Spooky KT on these forums and offered my solution to them for free. I did not get a message back, so I went ahead and kept selling them.

I am sure nobody was looking for the opinion from the guy who is selling the damn things, but there it is .

#14773 2 years ago

AS an experienced fitter and machinist, I would suggest that using the spacers is not ideal as a long term solution.

The problem I see is that these will allow for movement that will not occur to the same degree when the metal plate is clamped directly to the wood. They will act like a slipper between the wood and the base plate (more 'mobility'), and this means that screws will work their way loose more readily than with direct attachment.

It is already effort enough keeping flipper mech screws tight over time, on any pinball really, and spacing the flipper mech further away will inevitably compound this problem.

The kosher way is to have the mech clamped directly to the playfield. Metal washers would be more stable than plastic, as well, but this can increase risk of breaching the playfield surface with the wrong length screws by accident/misshap.

I cut my lower 2 bushes down with the mechs still in the game (using some ad-hok tooling), Spooky has sent me out a set of the updated bushes and I will replace all 3 when they arrive.

That's my 2c on the subject. It is an informed/reasoned opinion, I have not tested the hypothesis.

Also not meaning to detract from Aniraf substantial effort. Good work, and well done providing a very good quick fix for so many RaM owners!

#14774 2 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I cannot vouch for the life of the spacers any more than I can vouch for the life of a bushing. With my purely anecdotal evidence I will say that I have seen cracked bushings, but to date I have never seen a cracked spacer (granted I don’t know of a game with a spaced flipper mech ). With the data we have, I think it is slightly premature to think that spacers are a temp fix.
As for resale machines, I could say that if I went to replace bushings on a machine then realized my existing stock of bushings do not work, I would be pretty pissed.
I designed and used the spacers because I cannot bear to see a small company customize an irrelevant part of a machine like this. Even if the design, casting, testing, etc. cost them less than $1000 (which I doubt) it is a waste.
I installed the spacers because rebuilding flippers is a pain. Yes, it is technically “easy” and I have done it at least 100 times, but it is annoying to me. I tried to think of ultra convenience with my design. I even printed them in high contrast colors so you could easily see them through the existing mech holes.
As for the cost, I am the first to tell you that I am charging too much. As I said early on, I priced these based on my time and materials. I am confident someone could make them for way less but screws, envelopes, shipping and time add up. I shared the design so that anyone who has or knows anyone with a 3D printer could create them.
For the record, I messaged Spooky KT on these forums and offered my solution to them for free. I did not get a message back, so I went ahead and kept selling them.
I am sure nobody was looking for the opinion from the guy who is selling the damn things, but there it is .

None of my posts questioned your cost, price, motivation, or resale impact, so I'm confused why your long-winded response is directed at me.

Random note: I've owned 60-70 machines over 20 years and have never had a cracked bushing.

Minor/obvious point: Rebuilding flippers is a normal part of maintaining a pinball machine.

#14775 2 years ago

Not less than a year in on a non routed game. I can say I've only ever had to rebuilt 2 flippers in my life, and honestly the flipper mech as a whole is due for a redesign.

#14776 2 years ago

Ok, speaking of flippers, I could use some advice.

I replaced all 3 bushings with the new shorter one''s I just got from Spooky and now I cannot make the left ramp. The lower right flipper only has enough power to make it 2/3 of the way up. I've checked it twice and fiddled with it and don't see anything obviously wrong. I can still backhand the right ramp and it seems zippy enough for every shot other than the left ramp.

I'm no pro at dicking with flippers, but the other two flippers seem to be working fine and I can make all shots with no problem.

I've tried messing with the flipper power settings from 25 up to 40 and I'm not seeing any difference.

Game is still level and I'm at 6.9 degrees. It was always a tough shot, but never had any problems with the left ramp on the old bushings.

This is seriously the best game I've ever owned, just need it working 100% again.

Any advice?

#14777 2 years ago
Quoted from ThunderLips:

Ok, speaking of flippers, I could use some advice.
I replaced all 3 bushings with the new shorter one''s I just got from Spooky and now I cannot make the left ramp. The lower right flipper only has enough power to make it 2/3 of the way up. I've checked it twice and fiddled with it and don't see anything obviously wrong. I can still backhand the right ramp and it seems zippy enough for every shot other than the left ramp.
I'm no pro at dicking with flippers, but the other two flippers seem to be working fine and I can make all shots with no problem.
I've tried messing with the flipper power settings from 25 up to 40 and I'm not seeing any difference.
Game is still level and I'm at 6.9 degrees. It was always a tough shot, but never had any problems with the left ramp on the old bushings.
This is seriously the best game I've ever owned, just need it working 100% again.
Any advice?

Adjust the gap between the flipper bat and the bushing.

#14778 2 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

Adjust the gap between the flipper bat and the bushing.

As in I need more of a gap?

Thanks

#14779 2 years ago
Quoted from ThunderLips:

As in I need more of a gap?
Thanks

Sticking a credit card between the flipper and the bushing above the playfield worked for me. You will have to loosen the mech before doing this a little and then tighten with the credit card still in place.

#14780 2 years ago

Also make sure you are running the latest update so changing your flipper settings will actually be recognized without a power cycle (but you probably know this).

#14781 2 years ago

Thanks everyone! I'll double check the gap.

And yeah I'm running the latest code.

#14782 2 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I've owned 60-70 machines over 20 years and have never had a cracked bushing.

I've never had a cracked original B/W bushing. I've had plenty of new ones crack to the point where I will absolutely not replace a bushing as part of a flipper rebuild on older games.

#14783 2 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

None of my posts questioned your cost, price, motivation, or resale impact, so I'm confused why your long-winded response is directed at me.
Random note: I've owned 60-70 machines over 20 years and have never had a cracked bushing.
Minor/obvious point: Rebuilding flippers is a normal part of maintaining a pinball machine.

Oh no, sorry! Not at you. I was just dumping my thoughts and i quoted that one thing you said on the strength.

Everyone is being totally cool in this forum. I don’t feel threatened or anything. Sorry it is hard to write stuff without it taking on emotional tones.

I struggle to believe that the spacer would shift or break, but full disclosure I didn’t believe 1/8th of an inch on the flippers would change the game.

#14784 2 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I didn’t believe 1/8th of an inch on the flippers would change the game.

In my (not so many as others here, I know) years working on pins, I'm consistently amazed at how just 1mm can make or break a mech, shot, or overall package. I refuse to believe pf designers analyze their full comprehensive shot geometry with a micrometer, but it's clear no space is ever fully taken for granted. Considering how sensitive flippers are to that "credit card thick gap" between the bat and the shaft, or how finicky their precise alignment relative to lane guides and intended shots can be, 1/8" may as well be a mile. It very well is depending on the application. And I'm still shocked these games were made with that huge error/discrepancy apparently unaccounted for at first.

For another demonstration, see games that use bell-shaped rubber post sleeves, and the massive change in rebounds from flipping them upside-down (or changing to cylindrical post sleeves). Or getting airballs from an extra 1/16" deflection of a standup switch with a misadjusted keeper bracket. Etc...

#14785 2 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

In my (not so many as others here, I know) years working on pins, I'm consistently amazed at how just 1mm can make or break a mech, shot, or overall package. I refuse to believe pf designers analyze their full comprehensive shot geometry with a micrometer, but it's clear no space is ever fully taken for granted. Considering how sensitive flippers are to that "credit card thick gap" between the bat and the shaft, or how finicky their precise alignment relative to lane guides and intended shots can be, 1/8" may as well be a mile. It very well is depending on the application. And I'm still shocked these games were made with that huge error/discrepancy apparently unaccounted for at first.
For another demonstration, see games that use bell-shaped rubber post sleeves, and the massive change in rebounds from flipping them upside-down (or changing to cylindrical post sleeves). Or getting airballs from an extra 1/16" deflection of a standup switch with a misadjusted keeper bracket. Etc...

This has also boggled my mind. The lead programmer was testing on a non prod game which we already know...
Are the people who made this game so good at pinball that it doesn't matter how bad the shots are working, they seem fine to them? No rattling? etc? No one noticed the flipper difference?
Or is what they are testing on just that drastically different from what was being made on the line?

All sorts of questions like this. It's not a knock on Spooky specifically, I really don't have enough personal experience with NiB from other companies. I could see where it somehow got missed regarding the difference in height, or maybe someone said it won't matter....but you would think after making the first one, and testing it...someone would have said something feels off rather than just chalk everything up to 'oh it's a hard game'.
'
It would be interesting to just have this discussion, without anyone getting offended as a lessons learned thing. At least to me.

#14786 2 years ago

I used the X spacers. I realize the new bushings are the correct part to use. Game playing fantastic with the lowered flippers.

Thanks to snaroff for bringing up the flipper height. I had no idea.

Thanks to Aniraf for making an easy to install alternative that might turn out to be more than just a temporary fix.

To everyone who installed the x spacers, PLEASE leave yourself (or the potential future owner of your game) a warning note about the longer screws you used with the spacers. Do it now. Someone is going to switch to shorter bushings with longer screws and go through the pf. Don't be that someone.

#14787 2 years ago

Nevermind, i figured it out

20210701_201042 (resized).jpg20210701_201042 (resized).jpg
#14788 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

This has also boggled my mind. The lead programmer was testing on a non prod game which we already know...
Are the people who made this game so good at pinball that it doesn't matter how bad the shots are working, they seem fine to them? No rattling? etc? No one noticed the flipper difference?
Or is what they are testing on just that drastically different from what was being made on the line?
All sorts of questions like this. It's not a knock on Spooky specifically, I really don't have enough personal experience with NiB from other companies. I could see where it somehow got missed regarding the difference in height, or maybe someone said it won't matter....but you would think after making the first one, and testing it...someone would have said something feels off rather than just chalk everything up to 'oh it's a hard game'.

It would be interesting to just have this discussion, without anyone getting offended as a lessons learned thing. At least to me.

This is what really (initially) chapped me about the game and the responses I got from the thread here. I’ve been around pinball long enough to know when a game shoots well and when it doesn’t. I also know good design vs poor design (looking at you diverter and ball launch wire form).

And when I got my game it was a clunk-fest of rattlers and rejects. After further inspection it became difficult to distinguish between manufacturing defects (twisted ball guides, ungracious ball guide radii, poorly aligned ramp, switches being missed, etc.) and intentionally ‘difficult’ shots. I questioned this early on and was flamed pretty good for it.

So I tore my PF apart and just began posting my modifications. I can now say the game shoots amazingly well and is what I was expecting out of the box.

I appreciate Spooky for being receptive to the constructive criticism and making changes to their manufacturing techniques. Mistakes should be painful, and I think they learned a lot of good lessons with R&M. I’m really looking forward to seeing how Halloween and ??? turned out with the new processes in place.

#14789 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinstym:

To everyone who installed the x spacers, PLEASE leave yourself (or the potential future owner of your game) a warning note about the longer screws you used with the spacers. Do it now. Someone is going to switch to shorter bushings with longer screws and go through the pf. Don't be that someone.

This is probably a smart idea. I would be heart broken if someone removed the spacers and then screwed through the playfield. Maybe that is why Spooky went with bushings? I don’t think the 5/8th screws will break the surface, but they could dimple it.

Quoted from snaroff:

I had exactly one on a Firepower I bought. The game was pretty beat before I restored it, but the whole top of the bushing was cracked and tore off when I removed the flipper.

Another note, like I said…everyone is great in this thread. However you do it, lower those flippers! I’ll work on something for the switches when I get home per WizardsCastle request. Important hind sight, my outline wires can actually stop a ball. It is rare, so I didn’t really think about it. They might be nice to lower or bend the wire.

#14790 2 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

This is what really (initially) chapped me about the game and the responses I got from the thread here. I’ve been around pinball long enough to know when a game shoots well and when it doesn’t. I also know good design vs poor design (looking at you diverter and ball launch wire form).
And when I when I got my game it was a clunk-fest of rattlers and rejects. After further inspection it became difficult to distinguish between manufacturing defects (twisted ball guides, ungracious ball guide radii, poorly aligned ramp, switches being missed, etc.) and intentionally ‘difficult’ shots. I questioned this early on and was flamed pretty good for it.
So I tore my PF apart and just began posting my modifications. I can now say the game shoots amazingly well and is what I was expecting out of the box.
I appreciate Spooky for being receptive to the constructive criticism and making changes to their manufacturing techniques. Mistakes should be painful, and I think they learned a lot of good lessons with R&M. I’m really looking forward to seeing how Halloween and ??? turned out with the new processes in place.

Ditto here.

The biggest WTF? moment I had was the implimentation of the diverter, with screw heads blatantly sticking out for the ball to hit and rattle. That diverter has been the most epic fail of RaM design or manufacture imho.

#14791 2 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Ditto here.
The biggest WTF? moment I had was the implimentation of the diverter, with screw heads blatantly sticking out for the ball to hit and rattle. That diverter has been the most epic fail of RaM design or manufacture imho.

What the fix for this?

#14792 2 years ago

What the fix for this?

I used a Dremel on mine and took more of the lock nut off. My friends game is perfect and makes no contact with the back board. Someone else on here made a welded diverted that looked excellent, but it was a one off and not for sale.

#14793 2 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I used a Dremel on mine and took more of the lock nut off. My friends game is perfect and makes no contact with the back board. Someone else on here made a welded diverted that looked excellent, but it was a one off and not for sale.

Anyone willing to make these if enough of agree to purchase and make it worth your time?

Also, any before/after pics?

#14795 2 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Amen. Frankly, I think it has more personality/character than any game I've owned.

Ya, so yesterday I installed the new bushing into my ram and wow. I’m pretty skeptical of information on pinside especially when it’s “x fixes y” but let me also just add to what others have said and say this is a must ( and a correct) fix for ram. For anyone out there doubting the flipper bushings, don’t. The functionality is night and day post correction and I highly recommend it. The game now shoots less like a maladjusted wide body and more like my Iron Maiden ( my only real complaint with the game was how it shoots, and I wondered why spooky got away from what ever they had with TNA, this fix makes ram shoot like TNA imho).

#14796 2 years ago

What the fix for this?

This has been treated a number of ways, as Lounge and Aniraf have shared what they did.

I think Lounge might have tried my solution, but went a bit too far with the bending, and maybe not sharp enough bend (I was using a tool to get a defined 'kink').

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aw-jeez-official-rick-and-morty-club/page/164#post-5984607

This is the post with my solution. I kinked at the diverter shaft (using a shifter to hold the diverter flap itself straight, and give a sharp kink), 30 degrees not more not less. This has the effect of 'concealing' the screw heads so that the ball can not hit the lower one.

I also put a slight curve in the diverter over its length, and a tail on the end to help transition when diverter is activated to spinner.

Go too far with bending and there will not be enough length of the flap for it to still reach the ball guide that it rests on when it is activated. What you see in the pictures left about 1/16" overlap where the diverter tip comes to meet the spinner ball guide. This was enough I thought, and the diverter has never jumped to the inside, or past the spinner guide.

I tried this before I went removing any of the diverter assembly, it was successful for me making this tweak with the diverter fully installed. After the tweak I needed to adjust the crank position below the playfield to make up for the 30 degrees of bend.

I wasn't sure this would work, I had a backup plan if it didn't which was something along the lines of replacing the screws with counter-sunk, as they probably should have been for the design anyway. Turns out my punt paid off and I did not need to do this in the end.

Hope this helps, but I wouldn't recommend unless it is clear to see how I achieved my result.

Also games seem to vary a bit, so may not work the same for everyone.

I also had to straighten up the wonky ball guide at outer right orbit that leads up to the diverter pivot.

#14797 2 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I did not have the problem that some games had where where the screw ends or nuts would bind or scrape on the backboard.

#14798 2 years ago

Just watched Bowen tutorial again as it's so good.

Just wondering did the slut dragons ever make it into the game?

#14799 2 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Just watched Bowen tutorial again as it's so good.
Just wondering did the slut dragons ever make it into the game?

No - not yet anyway. Fingers crossed.

#14800 2 years ago

What the fix for this?

Here's my own diverter smoother, made for free with clear flexible polycarbonate plastic salvaged from throwaway packaging (reduce, re-use, recycle!):

20210613_163437 (resized).jpg20210613_163437 (resized).jpg

I simply cut the piece of plastic to fit and laminated it to the diverter flap with clear packing tape (aka mylar) as shown. The plastic covers the screw heads and forms a nice, smooth, even surface for the ball to glide right over them. I installed the flap without removing or adjusting any part of the diverter, and it would be easily removed and replaced if needed. The plastic should be durable and not wear out, but only time will tell.

IMPORTANT NOTE: the overlapping portion on the right side, ends up not being needed! In one of my posts above I described amazement at the difference 1/8" can make... As it turns out, the 1/16 thickness of that plastic flap overlapping the right side wall, was enough to deflect a ball away from the garage entirely, and instead into the spinner lane! It was so smooth I thought my diverter had quit working - but when I removed the house and played the game to investigate, I was shocked to see the ball deflect from that. Yeah: geometry with speed is a cruel bitch So I cut the plastic flap flush with end of the diverter, but still covering the screw heads. There's no binding (my diverter fasteners are not scraping the backboard) and the overlay flap's intended effect is still in place.

The shot is now so smooth and reliable from either direction and path at any speed, it's one of my favorite shots in this or any game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, FL
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 39.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 13,500.00
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 399.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Bent Mods

10,500 (OBO)
$ 300.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 65.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 20,217 posts in this topic. You are on page 296 of 405.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aw-jeez-official-rick-and-morty-club/page/296 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.