(Topic ID: 257850)

Official Rick and Morty Club - You are not like other carbon based life forms.

By TheNoTrashCougar

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20,217 posts
  • 742 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 hours ago by Octomodz
  • Topic is favorited by 333 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3963 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3962 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3961 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3960 (resized).jpeg
RAM ALT Translite 2022.3.19 (resized).jpg
IMG_3481 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_6211325_0 (resized).png
IMG_1914 (resized).jpeg
RAM L Loop Guard fail2b 2024.3.24 (resized).jpg
b5f006fa-9417-42d1-8730-250ad8488fb6.__CR0,0,1080,1080_PT0_SX300_V1___ (resized).jpg
P3230229 (resized).JPG
P3230228 (resized).JPG
rm-bcm (resized).jpg
20240213_184156 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
422528975_3643555955960477_8769668710301573887_n (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

106 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 20,217 posts in this topic. You are on page 239 of 405.
#11901 3 years ago

newest whirlwind theme being circulated about for spooky.

fan tasm spooky 2 (resized).jpgfan tasm spooky 2 (resized).jpg
#11902 3 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

For anyone who thinks that R&M has had its share of issues (perceived or otherwise), go over and read the recent posts on the GnR thread. The grass is not greener on any side of the pinball glass lol!

This is indeed quite true, and it reminds me... I posted a list of out of the box tweaks that I did to my R&M a couple of weeks or so ago. I was just excited to finally have the game and to be perfecting it to my liking. I didn't mean to insinuate anything was necessarily wrong with the way Spooky built it. I'm honestly just a pinball play perfectionist/tinkerer, and I do this with all my machines, whether they're new Sterns or vintage Williams/Bally machines from the 90's. I felt kinda bad when Luke from Spooky posted here a few days ago about a novice pinball enthusiast contacting him about his soon to be received R&M, concerned that he/she would have to make all these changes (some of which I'm sure I noted). So, to any novice future R&M owner (or any owner) reading this, I'm sure you'll enjoy your R&M right out of the box. You don't have to go down my rabbit hole of pinball perfection, unless you're really into that kinda thing.

#11903 3 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

newest whirlwind theme being circulated about for spooky.
[quoted image]

Where's that coming from?
There was a Phantasm easter egg in Vat of Acid

7pewys5z7gz41 (resized).jpg7pewys5z7gz41 (resized).jpg
#11904 3 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

No - the disruption in the opposing magnets triggers the lower magnet to pull harder connecting the reeds. The principle is in the first link.

I'm trying not to be dense, but everything I've scared up online says you need a magnet to activate a reed switch.

I guess these are special reed switches with their own built in magnet, not quite strong enough to close the contacts, and the ball disrupts the field, or intensifies it, to close them. Or else it's a NC switch that the built in magnet keeps open until the ball comes along and tickles the field. Pretty neat! (Hope I haven't outed any trade secrets!)

I don't have anything against them, I just see them as overkill. I'll take spending $0 over $35 every time!

#11905 3 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

You don't have to go down my rabbit hole of pinball perfection, unless you're really into that kinda thing.

I've said before, never seen a game benefit from tweaking the way R&M does! With everything I've done it's like night & day, and I haven't even addressed the bushings yet!

Someone unwilling to tackle the issues simply won't have as much fun, bottom line. Unless they enjoy being frustrated! It's SO worth the effort!

(Makes me wonder, though, if GnR is as, I dunno, needy as it sounds, how it shot to #1 so fast!)

#11906 3 years ago

#543 (Butter) has arrived!

20210316_114306 (resized).jpg20210316_114306 (resized).jpgthumb_show-me-what-you-got-19333235 (resized).pngthumb_show-me-what-you-got-19333235 (resized).png
#11907 3 years ago

I bought two,First reply gets it!

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#11908 3 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I've said before, never seen a game benefit from tweaking the way R&M does! With everything I've done it's like night & day, and I haven't even addressed the bushings yet!
Someone unwilling to tackle the issues simply won't have as much fun, bottom line. Unless they enjoy being frustrated! It's SO worth the effort!

So true...my experience as well. The sum of all the tweaks make a huge difference.

Quoted from Zablon:

We suffer for our love. I think the outrage and frustration comes from the prices we pay. I don't complain at all about all my sub $1k machines. They also...don't break as often

Quoted from RobT:

...or the Stranger Things owners thread..

Ya know what I don't get about the ST flipper fade is this:

ST is based on the same platform as IMDN/JP2/AIQ (Spike 2). They both have the same single wound coils and flipper mechs. You'd think that Stern would also have flipper code shared across games. The only explanation for why ST has more fade than IMDN/JP2/AIQ is the flipper code is somehow unique (not part of the Spike 2 platform). Would be interesting to speak with Keith about it. I've owned all 3 of his games and had no flipper fade under "normal" home use (of 2-3 hours continuous play).

#11909 3 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

[quoted image]

Ill take it!

#11910 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

So true...my experience as well. The sum of all the tweaks make a huge difference.

Ya know what I don't get about the ST flipper fade is this:
ST is based on the same platform as IMDN/JP2/AIQ (Spike 2). They both have the same single wound coils and flipper mechs. You'd think that Stern would also have flipper code shared across games. The only explanation for why ST has more fade than IMDN/JP2/AIQ is the flipper code is somehow unique (not part of the Spike 2 platform). Would be interesting to speak with Keith about it. I've owned all 3 of his games and had no flipper fade under "normal" home use (of 2-3 hours continuous play).

I own both IMDN and AIQ and I can say that I have had significant flipper fade on both games, especially after 2 hours of play.

I now have Pin Monk fan kits in both machines and the flipper fade is nonexistent.

#11911 3 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

I installed the Pinball Mod Co Megaseed Tree today. I like it! Now to play some games.[quoted image]

This is so perfectly disgusting! How hard was it to install? Sounds like you need to drill some things?

#11912 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

The only explanation for why ST has more fade than IMDN/JP2/AIQ is the flipper code is somehow unique (not part of the Spike 2 platform)

I don't think ST has worse fade. Instead, it has two shots that absolutely require consistent flipper performance - the TK lock and the demogorgon mouth. TK needs strong shots all the time to work right, once the flippers fade a little it's no good. Demo needs the shot to come in at a certain angle and strength (not too hard, not too soft), and fade messes up those variables over time

All the PWM games fade, but certain playfield features suffer more from it. The steep left ramp is basically R&M's TK lock in this case.

In Elwin's games, Maiden's center ramp seems to be the only feature that suffers from fade, and it generally remains makeable. Maybe AIW BW, but I'm finding I can make it even with hot flippers, just need to be accurate and not attempt at all from a left-inlane feed.

#11913 3 years ago

All this flipper talk about fade and PWM timings and software voodoo and extra fans and other hardware to compensate for duty cycles and overheating seems to ignore the apparent elephant in the room: that dual-wound coils historically were mostly immune to the incidence and complexity of all these new variables and had more stable performance over time...

All of the above aggravation to save a few bucks with single-wound coils seems like a false economy to me.

Is it feasible to convert these games to dual-wound and be done with it all?

#11914 3 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

This is so perfectly disgusting! How hard was it to install? Sounds like you need to drill some things?

Pretty easy if you methodically take it step by step, but yeah, I had to drill two holes. One hole had to be drilled through the plastic, centrally in between the three existing mounting holes for the stock megaseed tree trunk. Once I had that hole, I used it to transfer a small hole in between the LED light and existing plastic post below to start a wood screw from a metal post that has a wood screw. Once those two holes are done, you start assembly. On my game the plastic sleeve post that goes over the included metal post was going to rub hard on the plastic post and the LED, so I simply ground a flat on each side to provide clearance. Each individual assembly may be different.

It's actually not a bad install and really solidly anchors the end of the ramp, while looking great (or perfectly disgusting, LOL).

#11915 3 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

All this flipper talk about fade and PWM timings and software voodoo and extra fans and other hardware to compensate for duty cycles and overheating seems to ignore the apparent elephant in the room: that dual-wound coils historically were mostly immune to the incidence and complexity of all these new variables and had more stable performance over time...
All of the above aggravation to save a few bucks with single-wound coils seems like a false economy to me.

P-roc supports it, but we have a lot of custom boards in the industry.

#11916 3 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Dual wound coils weren't "immune" - in the B/W days the games were simpler, generally shorter, and home ownership was a tiny fraction of sales. Despite that, MANY classic B/W games STILL had fade in tournaments. Karl DeAngelo was just talking about how Black Knight 2000 (a machine released in 1989 that has FL-11630 dual wound coils) had severe fade in a recent pre-pandemic tournament. It was not the only title that did this. Fade did happen and DOES happen on some B/W pins. But again, depends on the machine - they don't ALL have it, and it's not unique to new pins only.

JJP uses the largest, baddest Bally/Williams dual wound coils available, and they have the hottest uncooled temps of all (jjPotC hit 249F/GnR has hit 219F). The coil itself is only part of the heat management solution, and more isn't always better. Software and hardware design are a major component, too. And even if everything is perfect, heat will always be an issue on long play sessions, especially with trap play.

#11917 3 years ago

Time for water cooling

#11918 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Time for water cooling

Here ya go - this might even beat snaroff 's giant fan solution:

fishtales (resized).jpgfishtales (resized).jpg

#11919 3 years ago

Even better - the mother of all watercooled fan solutions. Eat your heart out PinMonk - going on sale next week. BYO river and insurance.
fishtalesfan (resized).jpgfishtalesfan (resized).jpg

#11920 3 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

The switches themselves are identical, so yours are exactly as "sensitive" as mine. You just need to bend the switch blade more, rather radically, actually, so that the switch is almost depressed when at rest. Sorry, I wish I had taken pics. I'm talking about adding a bend so that the switch is about to click, by adding a hump where it rests on the switch body. Before, I had to push it down 2/3 of the way before it clicked. Now, it clicks as soon as I touch it. The only way for a ball to sneak by is by being airborne, higher than the switch blade. I don't know what the range is on the magnetic switch, but I wouldn't be surprised if my tweaked switch outperforms it in that regard, what with the magnet sensor already being the playfield thickness away from the ball at minimum.
I enjoy thinking about how a little ingenuity saved me 35 bucks every time I make that loop!

Same as adjustments I made to switches. Make them more sensitive so that your shots register. This done in the first week or two after unboxing, as suggested in the thread.

The switchback and orbit Always register on my game once I adjusted them. It's a choice though I guess, each to their own, some are adjusting switches some are replacing them.

I definately didn't need the eddy switches to make the shots register 100%, though.

#11921 3 years ago

I thought the flipper discussion jumped into a different dimension...

#11922 3 years ago
Quoted from DruTheFu:

Yep it switched

#11923 3 years ago
Quoted from DruTheFu:

Im a fan of fans...

#11924 3 years ago

Haha, there's a R&M reference in the new season of Paradise P.D. ....ftr, if you aren't familiar, it makes R&M seem like care bears so don't watch it with the kiddos.

P.S. this should be Spooky's next pin

#11925 3 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

After New update my right flipper hold makes a louder than before buzzing noise.

I added spring washers in front of the coil stops which Im assuming is pretty standard, but spooky didnt use them. My stern spring washers worked perfectly

#11926 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I've made 272 posts

It’s not a contest. You are generally really dismissive and rude, and the quantity of messages is less important than the quality.

#11927 3 years ago

His 272 posts got us improved flipper code; which is a hell of a lot more than your posts have gotten us

If you don't own an R&M, why are you here complaining about people trying to improve the game?

#11928 3 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

You are generally really dismissive and rude

I think this is a bit strong of a statement.

I would just call it bluntness. Sometimes you just gotta be blunt to make your point.

No sugar-coating, just the facts.

#11929 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

His 272 posts got us improved flipper code

You didn't pass that Logic course, Freshman year, did you?

#11930 3 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

[quoted image]

I'll take out of context posts for $500 please.

#11931 3 years ago

How are people's flippers when they start a multiball? Mine kind of freak when I'm in an adventure and start a multiball. More so than before. (And no I'm not in a dimension, I've been to the dimension where the left flipper controls your upper right that's not what's happening)

#11932 3 years ago

any word on the new flipper bushings from Spooky?

#11933 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

His 272 posts got us improved flipper code; which is a hell of a lot more than your posts have gotten us
If you don't own an R&M, why are you here complaining about people trying to improve the game?

Quoted from pinballinreno:

I think this is a bit strong of a statement.
I would just call it bluntness. Sometimes you just gotta be blunt to make your point.
No sugar-coating, just the facts.

Thanks for your troll pushback, fellow Morty's. I have no problems taking arrows from R&M owners, but having non-owner trolls bust my balls is unfortunate.

A humble reminder for the arrow shooters. I'll also take some credit for identifying the flipper bushing problem (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aw-jeez-official-rick-and-morty-club/page/181#post-6016980) and pushing for a community wide resolution (some of it, behind the scenes). Before my push, some folks were quietly shaving their flipper bushings without regard for their fellow Morty's I felt strongly that the bushings should be fixed for the community and picked up the phone. Fortunately, Spooky and it's parts supplier were quick to agree (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aw-jeez-official-rick-and-morty-club/page/182#post-6017299). Hats off to Spooky/Charlie!

The vibe that identifying data/issues is sacrilege is counterproductive (no matter how forthcoming someone is). I've invested 10x more time/energy in this game than most games. All of our time is being donated in the spirit of helping Spooky. My post volume in this thread is really out of character. Why? (1) When you love something, you want it to play great. (2) When you know you have the manufacturers ear and can have an impact, it's more motivating.

Just received an email that Spooky is sending me a package to solve some issues I've identified to them privately. Luke has given me great/timely support!

Sad that some folks want to mock/shoot the messenger! We should be celebrating the openness in this thread. Much better than working with Stern, where there is NO OPEN FORUM they participate in. One of the benefits of working with a smaller, more progressive company...

#11934 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

A humble reminder for the arrow shooters. I'll also take some credit for identifying the flipper bushing problem

Another Medal.

Pin it on him.

#11935 3 years ago
Quoted from jguzik420:

How are people's flippers when they start a multiball? Mine kind of freak when I'm in an adventure and start a multiball. More so than before. (And no I'm not in a dimension, I've been to the dimension where the left flipper controls your upper right that's not what's happening)

Flippers here work fine. R&M multiball start is brutal though, releasing the two locked balls to slowly roll to the flippers, then firing the last one down just as they arrive to completely mess up whatever catches or flips you had planned.

#11936 3 years ago

This game is amazing. Keep the improvements coming and it will most likely rank in the top ten. Once dialed in the game has some of the fastest and cleanest flow with the most brutal gameplay since Ironman.

#11937 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Flippers here work fine. R&M multiball start is brutal though, releasing the two locked balls to slowly roll to the flippers, then firing the last one down just as they arrive to completely mess up whatever catches or flips you had planned.

Apparently I explained incorrectly...when multiballs start, and I'm not touching the flipper buttons. The flippers go up and down on their own. They flip by themselves. Hope that makes sense

#11938 3 years ago
Quoted from jguzik420:

Apparently I explained incorrectly...when multiballs start, and I'm not touching the flipper buttons. The flippers go up and down on their own. They flip by themselves. Hope that makes sense

You need a young priest and an old priest...

#11939 3 years ago
Quoted from jguzik420:

Quoted from guitarded:

Haha yea that's definitely not normal; I've never seen the flippers operate on their own on my game. Might have a switch issue going on...

#11940 3 years ago

Maybe your flipper switches are gapped too close? I had my upper flipper go randomly on scoop and launcher fires until I bent it out just a tiny bit.

#11941 3 years ago
Quoted from jguzik420:

"Well played THING. You're really on the ball"

#11942 3 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Fricken beer out my nose... Awesome job!

#11943 3 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Priest and boy, boy and priest Season 2?

#11944 3 years ago

(RM thread is too quiet)

DAMN!

I finally see why Morty is hot for Jessica....

61B09216-C8F0-4779-8E4F-C37EDAB3246C (resized).jpeg61B09216-C8F0-4779-8E4F-C37EDAB3246C (resized).jpeg
#11945 3 years ago

A couple of questions.

What include should the play field be at? right now its at 6.9 deg.
Is the glass the comes with the machine standard or some type of non reflective. I cant seem to tell with this playfield (i guess my eyes are going)
What does the second yellow flipper button do?

#11946 3 years ago
Quoted from bent98:

A couple of questions.
What include should the play field be at? right now its at 6.9 deg.
Is the glass the comes with the machine standard or some type of non reflective. I cant seem to tell with this playfield (i guess my eyes are going)
What does the second yellow flipper button do?

Recently Charlie Emery mentioned he was testing a machine and had it set at 6.5 incline but (I think) most people are at around 6.7 to 6.9 incline.

The glass is a regular glass (bummer I know).

Second flipper button triggers your magnet to save the ball from draining to the right out lane. Works like a magna save (kinda) but button is not meant to be held though. just get used to tapping it when the ball gets in that out lane area and you'll figure it out.

#11947 3 years ago

Is there a trick to safely remove the backglass? I'm not new to pinball, and I did remove the glass to update the software, but I also almost lost it, holding it to the top of the backbox while the speaker panel was moved down. I was not able to lift it up and out, as in my other games.

Thanks!

#11948 3 years ago
Quoted from Boatshoe:

Is there a trick to safely remove the backglass? I'm not new to pinball, and I did remove the glass to update the software, but I also almost lost it, holding it to the top of the backbox while the speaker panel was moved down. I was not able to lift it up and out, as in my other games.
Thanks!

Should only need to drop the speaker panel. I’m not even close to needing the backglass to be out when I’m upgrading. It’s not in the way

#11949 3 years ago
Quoted from Boatshoe:

Thanks!

Hmm. No trick on mine. Very similar to the Stern Spike games...only difference is the Spooky backglass is heavier (it's not a translite...it's an old school "real" backglass On some games, I've had backglasses stick to foam insulation, but I don't believe that would be the case on R&M.

#11950 3 years ago
Quoted from Boatshoe:

Thanks!

I think the video on the Spooky site is for pre R&M games. I was confused too. The USB port on R&M is on the bottom right and accessible if you flip down the speaker panel. Unlike the video, you actually insert the Memory stick from the bottom, not the top.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, IN
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
$ 300.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

10,000 (OBO)
$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 11.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
$ 39.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 13,500.00
$ 22.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 20,217 posts in this topic. You are on page 239 of 405.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aw-jeez-official-rick-and-morty-club/page/239?hl=jigz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.