(Topic ID: 257850)

Official Rick and Morty Club - You are not like other carbon based life forms.

By TheNoTrashCougar

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20,217 posts
  • 742 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 hours ago by Octomodz
  • Topic is favorited by 333 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3963 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3962 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3961 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3960 (resized).jpeg
RAM ALT Translite 2022.3.19 (resized).jpg
IMG_3481 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_6211325_0 (resized).png
IMG_1914 (resized).jpeg
RAM L Loop Guard fail2b 2024.3.24 (resized).jpg
b5f006fa-9417-42d1-8730-250ad8488fb6.__CR0,0,1080,1080_PT0_SX300_V1___ (resized).jpg
P3230229 (resized).JPG
P3230228 (resized).JPG
rm-bcm (resized).jpg
20240213_184156 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
422528975_3643555955960477_8769668710301573887_n (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

106 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 20,217 posts in this topic. You are on page 182 of 405.
#9051 3 years ago

I'm thinking these are the bushings used by Spooky; https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-nylon-flipper-bushing.html
Might order a couple to try and reduce the length.

#9052 3 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Might order a couple to try and reduce the length.

A small round bubble level (I used these for turntable setups) and some doublesided tape or blutack on the bottom edge of the bushing.

Then, turn it over and sand on a flat surface, paying attention to keeping the bushing as level as you can.

Easy peasy.

#9053 3 years ago

Been reading about this "flippergate" and now feel somewhat responsible. lol.

Yes, I did have to swap out the bushings to the longer Bally ones to keep them from binding. But, it was later my finding that the bushings that came with the game were probably correct and that it was perhaps the brackets that hold the coils that caused them to sit lower than they should.

Not the first time I had to do this as I have had other Williams games where I had to do the same, and others where I did not. Not sure if due to replacement flipper mechs, or slight variations in the bracketry from game to game.

And, to be clear, it was not a problem with the top of the bushing protruding through the playfield as that is the same with either bushing, but the bottom of the bushing that affects plunger alignment.

#9054 3 years ago

Yo' pinball people.

Ok... spent some time on the phone with the mfg. We have never changed anything in the flipper mechs and have been running the same everything since day one here at Spooky over the course of well over 2,000 games to date in that regard.

BUT... looking at older Spooky games here vs Rick and Morty ... you pinball maniacs ain't wrong. The flippers do sit a bit higher with this same ol' same ol' Wms style bushing.

ALSO BUT... some of you do see this as a problem. And we all do agree here that this CAN BE IMPROVED REGARDLESS.

So... since it can be improved... our manufacturer has agreed to work with us and yep, we'll be getting our very own Spooky Pinball specific flipper bushing tooling put together.

Anyone who feels they want to change theirs out, give us an email: [email protected] ... it will take a couple months (best guess) to get this tooling change tested, made, and in stock but we'll happily replace your bushings and obviously they'll be factory installed on all future production.

So there you have it... you spoke, we listened. Anyone who wants a set of 3 bushings for Rick and Morty we'll happily ship you them free of charge.

Hope that helps, and HAPPY HOLIDAYS! Peace, love, and all things pinball ya'll.

#9055 3 years ago

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

#9056 3 years ago

Spooky. You're The Greatest.

#9057 3 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

Yo' pinball people.
Ok... spent some time on the phone with the mfg. We have never changed anything in the flipper mechs and have been running the same everything since day one here at Spooky over the course of well over 2,000 games to date in that regard.
BUT... looking at older Spooky games here vs Rick and Morty ... you pinball maniacs ain't wrong. The flippers do sit a bit higher with this same ol' same ol' Wms style bushing.
ALSO BUT... some of you do see this as a problem. And we all do agree here that this CAN BE IMPROVED REGARDLESS.
So... since it can be improved... our manufacturer has agreed to work with us and yep, we'll be getting our very own Spooky Pinball specific flipper bushing tooling put together.
Anyone who feels they want to change theirs out, give us an email: [email protected] ... it will take a couple months (best guess) to get this tooling change tested, made, and in stock but we'll happily replace your bushings and obviously they'll be factory installed on all future production.
So there you have it... you spoke, we listened. Anyone who wants a set of 3 bushings for Rick and Morty we'll happily ship you them free of charge.

This is why you ghouls are the best!

#9058 3 years ago

The flippers do sit a bit higher with this same ol' same ol' Wms style bushing.

Crazy, as that isn't the problem I had with mine at all. It was on the lower end of the bushing that caused the plungers to bind. Like I said in the above post, that might have been due to variations in the coil brackets because the bushings did turn out to be correct.

But, glad you are taking notice and I wasn't hallucinating that there are variations in these flipper mechs after all.

#9059 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

since 3 days ago you told people to swap out the bushing if they were having flipper issues.

yes... you should swap out your flipper bushings IMHO.
Rebuilding the flippers is a super simple soultion to the problem YOU are having.

I dont think Spooky really needs to do anything different. The bushings (root cause of pf thickness) is within spec and works fine for the vast majority of people it seems.

I personally think your game just has a little friction somewhere and minor binding which is robbing some power. That is pinball... Just rebuild and change the bushings while you are at it.

edit:Spooky posted... they Fing ROCK!!!

#9060 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

yes... you should swap out your flipper bushings IMHO.
Rebuilding the flippers is a super simple soultion to the problem YOU are having.
I dont think Spooky really needs to do anything different. The bushings (root cause of pf thickness) is within spec and works fine for the vast majority of people it seems.
I personally think your game just has a little friction somewhere and minor binding which is robbing some power. That is pinball... Just rebuild and change the bushings while you are at it.
edit:Spooky posted... they Fing ROCK!!!

I just took a look at my flippers and bushings and confirmed that the bushings in the game are identical to WPC bushings. I also looked at Classic Bally bushings and they appear to be slightly longer than the WPC bushings which would make the flipper sit even higher than they currently do. Even though they sit a bit higher I haven't had an issue but I think the solution would be a slightly shorter bushing. I suppose I could sand 1/8" or so off a few of my spare WPC bushings I have around, but since Spooky is awesome it sounds like they are going to make these slightly shorter bushings and send them out for free. Thanks Spooky!

#9061 3 years ago

The more I look at the pics snaroff posted, the more I am convinced this is some kind of issue with bracket or mounting plate variations, which in some cases a different bushing can compensate.

As far as the bushing sticking too far up through the playfield, if it is the correct bushing, in this case it has to be the mounting plate itself if all playfields are the same thickness.

Quoted from MikeS:

Classic Bally bushings and they appear to be slightly longer than the WPC bushings which would make the flipper sit even higher than they currently do.

Again, the top of the bushing is the same length on the Bally bushings I used and will not affect how high the flipper itself sits. Only the lower part that affects plunger alignment.

I'll let you guys figure it out from here. Cheers!

#9062 3 years ago

Yo' pinball people.

And that right there folks, is how it's fuckin done!!!!

All you others....take note.

#9063 3 years ago

Awesome, love the transparency as always. Thanks Spooky!

I can absolutely see how this would make the flippers feel different and shots coming off them not as solid.

#9064 3 years ago

Yo' pinball people.

Hey Charlie.... sign me up for the next spooky pinball machine!

No seriously, can I put a deposit down on TNA 2.0 yet!!!

You guys are fuc#in awesome!
521786C5-BB9F-491F-9660-C9D953FCDE3D (resized).jpeg521786C5-BB9F-491F-9660-C9D953FCDE3D (resized).jpeg

#9065 3 years ago

Yo' pinball people.

Thanks so much for listening and acting so quickly, Charlie. Rick and Morty is my first Spooky game and it rocks!

Tuning it to play optimally is the goal of many folks on this thread. The collaboration between your customers and your company makes you guys very, very special. So happy to hear this improvement will be factory installed on future production games!

#9066 3 years ago
Quoted from Morinack:

Santa is watching!

...and Jesus, The Government, Google, definitely Facebook, and possibly some aliens too.

#9067 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Tuning it to play optimally is the goal of many folks on this thread

And ours here too. All we can do is listen and learn... make things better and move forward.

Right now, taking the time to do what we can to improve many things across the board (all pun intended!). Much goodness coming in 2021 from Spooky Pinball LLC!

#9068 3 years ago

I noticed the flipper height issue on my game back when I first got it. Slapsaves weren't working worth a shit on it because the rubber was only hitting the upper part of the ball. I lowered the whole flipper plate with washers temporarily, until I can get the time to disassemble the flipper and file off the top of the existing bushing.

If you're failing to save SDTM balls that you could normally save on other games... check your contact point between the flipper tip and ball.

#9069 3 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Strange. I almost never get air balls on this pin.

Quoted from RobT:

I bought Odin's R&M. Guess that partially explains why I don't have any issues.

Quoted from RobT:

I made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

Indeed.

#9070 3 years ago

Yo' pinball people.

Well done Charlie. Two questions.

1) When the new parts are available, will new games be built with these going forward?

2) Do you plan a little play testing of your first prototype of the updated bushings to see if you can provide some kind of qualitative assessment between the two? Not that Pinside isn't the de facto truth for all and everything....but it sure would be nice to hear from the manufacturer the results of their own Pepsi challenge.

I am also curious if the whitewood or the early proto games have the flippers sitting lower than the production versions.

#9071 3 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Well you should be able to loosen the flipper bats under the PF and adjust the height by lowering or raising them. They should fully down and then with a credit card's width of gap left between the bottom of the flipper and the top of the bushing.
I would start there, they might just be set a little high currently.

Won't help. The bushings are the problem with the large gap. They're way over the playfield and prevent the flipper from being moved closer down.

#9072 3 years ago

Yo' pinball people.

So if the bushing didn't change, what did change to push the pushing higher relative to the top of the playfield? Is the playfield wood about 1/8" thinner? There's not a whole lot of options. Either the bushing got longer, or if that didn't the flipper plate got flatter or the playfield got thinner. I'm assuming that making a special bushing is easier than fixing the other issue to just keep using the standard WMS bushings...

#9073 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

So if the bushing didn't change, what did change to push the pushing higher relative to the top of the playfield? Is the playfield wood about 1/8" thinner? There's not a whole lot of options. Either the bushing got longer, or if that didn't the flipper plate got flatter or the playfield got thinner. I'm assuming that making a special bushing is easier than fixing the other issue to just keep using the standard WMS bushings...

The consensus is/was that the playfield is thinner than the old playfields.

#9074 3 years ago

And - for those keeping track - #386 will be delivered Friday.

Merry Christmas to me

#9075 3 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

I have always loved the "pinside consensus" crew. lol.

#9076 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I have always loved the "pinside consensus" crew. lol.

I love those guys!

#9077 3 years ago

happier and happier everyday that I am waiting for a game in the 500's!

#9078 3 years ago

Yo' pinball people.

I'm starting to not feel so bad about having a higher production number anymore. Thanks to spooky for always striving to do better.

#9079 3 years ago

Legend.gifLegend.gif
#9080 3 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

Well done Charlie. Two questions.
1) When the new parts are available, will new games be built with these going forward?
2) Do you plan a little play testing of your first prototype of the updated bushings to see if you can provide some kind of qualitative assessment between the two? Not that Pinside isn't the de facto truth for all and everything....but it sure would be nice to hear from the manufacturer the results of their own Pepsi challenge.
I am also curious if the whitewood or the early proto games have the flippers sitting lower than the production versions.

(1) was answered in Charlie's post..."they'll be factory installed on all future production."

#9081 3 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

I was just scanning the thread and must have missed that. Thanks.

#9082 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

(1) was answered in Charlie's post..."they'll be factory installed on all future production."

whoops. Pinball is easy... reading is hard.

#9083 3 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

whoops. Pinball is easy... reading is hard.

Searching is even harder, I've noticed before. Ironic, when it makes reading so much easier! (As in more accurate, and less time consuming, than visually scanning for info.)

#9084 3 years ago

Can't wait! I'm Number 477. Shouldn't be too much longer.

#9085 3 years ago

Anyone else try out the "diverter assist inner loop" setting? I turned it on and it made my inner loop shot even smoother than before! I'm very happy with the results.

20201216_174436 (resized).jpg20201216_174436 (resized).jpg
#9086 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Anyone else try out the "diverter assist inner loop" setting? I turned it on and it made my inner loop shot even smoother than before! I'm very happy with the results.
[quoted image]

Super cool!

#9087 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyohtay:

#423 Build sheet received and returned Monday Nov 30th, invoiced right at the end if the day Dec 3rd, paid immediately. Shipped Monday Dec 14th, scheduled to land Thursday the 17th.

Since you posted this yesterday, I've been refreshing my email like I'm shopping for a PS5.
My dates matched yours except for ship notice. Just got the email saying the #427 build is complete and they hopefully will get it on a truck tomorrow!

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!

#9088 3 years ago

Has anyone else experienced the flipper coil settings not affecting the power of the flipper at all?

Specifically I'm talking about lower right flipper. I've been messing with this since I got the game, trying to get the ball up the left ramp. EOS adjusted, flipper gapped properly, no binding, etc. A setting of 30 versus 50 provides pretty much no difference in strength of shot. There is obviously an art to the timing of left ramp shot but from a cradled ball it is almost impossible to make at either power. I found it really odd as I kept turning the power up during my investigating (playing 20-30 games between changes) that when I just went from 50 to 30 there is no difference I can tell at all. I would have expected something drastic. At 50 I could still barely roll the ball over the top of that ramp, same as I can do at 30. I'm not looking to tune out the skill needed but I want to know why the flipper shows no difference.

This is on a fresh machine, the coil is not overheated. In fact, while I have monitored the temps I don't notice a ton of change to flipper strength over time. I never bothered checking my other machines for this (do other games have the heat issue?) but I also never have any issue with the strength of the coils on B/W and JJP games. I just redid my TOM and the flippers are amazingly sharp and clean.

Something just doesn't feel right with the flippers in general. They are still at factory positions (about a pencil thickness away from the playfield holes) and I have zero hope of ever being able to backhand that left ramp like this so I'm thinking about lowering them closer to the alignment holes.

One also has to question why the holes were put where they were if the flippers aren't meant to align with them? All I can think of is that this is a change to setup after issues with the stock hole locations. Otherwise, that's where you put the holes, no?

Anyhow, looking for any feedback on this. I am going to toss some cooling fans in there next to see if it does in fact do anything but on a fresh machine I can't see how this is an issue. Sorry if this was further discussed in the last 400 posts, miss a few days and there is no way to catch up!

#9089 3 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

Hey Rob,

Since I pushed for this change as a side-effect of investigating issues with my right flipper, I wanted to comment briefly.

Lowering the flipper bushing by 1/8" is a really simple change that I'm certain Spooky will "play test"...

I don't know about Pinside and de facto truth, but the players/collectors on Pinside are where new pinball machines receive their real-world alpha/beta testing. When I worked in "big tech", we had very large...very expensive alpha/beta programs for OS releases. Since pinball companies don't have the resources to do vast, sponsored platform testing, the Pinside community is the next best thing.

What's exceptional about Spooky, is they recognize this and are responsive to feedback...which is one reason I feel great about my purchase. I'm not looking for perfect pinball machines (I already know they don't exist. I'm looking to support a company that's passionate about their products and "do right" by the community. Charlie's response today is one example of this.

I know many of us are capable of fixing this on our own, but having this corrected at the factory will help guarantee more machines will benefit from this fix. Not everyone purchasing these games is capable or motivated to fix flipper bushings.

#9090 3 years ago

I just kinda dig the fact that Spooky will now have a "Spooky style flipper bushing" as opposed to Williams or Bally.

#9091 3 years ago

Ahhhh geeze looks like I needed to just read a few of the last messages. I'm still tracing backwards but it sounds like there is news here on the flipper topic. Still interested to know about the power settings question.

#9092 3 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Has anyone else experienced the flipper coil settings not affecting the power of the flipper at all?
Specifically I'm talking about lower right flipper. I've been messing with this since I got the game, trying to get the ball up the left ramp. EOS adjusted, flipper gapped properly, no binding, etc. A setting of 30 versus 50 provides pretty much no difference in strength of shot. There is obviously an art to the timing of left ramp shot but from a cradled ball it is almost impossible to make at either power. I found it really odd as I kept turning the power up during my investigating (playing 20-30 games between changes) that when I just went from 50 to 30 there is no difference I can tell at all. I would have expected something drastic. At 50 I could still barely roll the ball over the top of that ramp, same as I can do at 30. I'm not looking to tune out the skill needed but I want to know why the flipper shows no difference.

Luke and Chris were both helping me out with the same issue you're having (right flipper not strong enough to make the left ramp), and I asked about the flipper coil setting because as you've noticed, it seems to make no difference. As I recall one of them told me the software coil setting would have little effect, go figure?

For me what helped the most at getting a bit more strength from the flipper was to increase the gap between the bushing and the bat to about 1/8". This was suggested by Luke, and it did help.

Lowering the flipper angle closer to the marker holes will also make the left ramp easier, but make a back-flip into the right ramp more difficult or impossible. It's a fine balance.

#9093 3 years ago

This is on a fresh machine, the coil is not overheated. In fact, while I have monitored the temps I don't notice a ton of change to flipper strength over time. I never bothered checking my other machines for this (do other games have the heat issue?) but I also never have any issue with the strength of the coils on B/W and JJP games. I just redid my TOM and the flippers are amazingly sharp and clean.
Something just doesn't feel right with the flippers in general. They are still at factory positions (about a pencil thickness away from the playfield holes) and I have zero hope of ever being able to backhand that left ramp like this so I'm thinking about lowering them closer to the alignment holes.
One also has to question why the holes were put where they were if the flippers aren't meant to align with them? All I can think of is that this is a change to setup after issues with the stock hole locations. Otherwise, that's where you put the holes, no?
Anyhow, looking for any feedback on this. I am going to toss some cooling fans in there next to see if it does in fact do anything but on a fresh machine I can't see how this is an issue. Sorry if this was further discussed in the last 400 posts, miss a few days and there is no way to catch up!

Check to see if your game has the build defect I discovered yesterday (and fixed today).

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aw-jeez-official-rick-and-morty-club/page/180#post-6015874

Didn't completely solve my right flipper power issue, but definitely improved it.

#9094 3 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Luke and Chris were both helping me out with the same issue you're having (right flipper not strong enough to make the left ramp), and I asked about the flipper coil setting because as you've noticed, it seems to make no difference. As I recall one of them told me the software coil setting would have little effect, go figure?
For me what helped the most at getting a bit more strength from the flipper was to increase the gap between the bushing and the bat to about 1/8". This was suggested by Luke, and it did help.
Lowering the flipper angle closer to the marker holes will also make the left ramp easier, but make a back-flip into the right ramp more difficult or impossible. It's a fine balance.

Thanks, been reading the last 400 posts now too. I can't understand why the software settings wouldn't make a difference, the mechanics and physics of flipper functionality should be the same with the coils and P3-ROC system as with JJP, etc. JJP coil settings make a huge difference. I would hope that the functionality is possible and maybe software settings need to change. I can't imagine that would be a limitation of the coil nor of the P3-ROC hardware.

#9095 3 years ago

My right flipper was binding. The gap between the bushing and the flipper (where the flipper spacer tool would go) was about 1/4" travel versus left with 1/8" or so. I reduced the gap, changed the alignment to not be so far from the alignment hole and set the flipper power to 35. I can hit the left ramp every time now. Oh man, game changer.

The plungers on each flipper look drastically different. I'm gonna swap the sleeves and clean out the dust and see how the plunger looks full length. What do you experts have to say about the inconsistent wear? Completely related to the excess gap?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#9096 3 years ago

What do you experts have to say about the inconsistent wear? Completely related to the excess gap?

No. Completely related to... you flip the right flipper way more than the left... because... there are two right flippers.

#9097 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

[quoted image]

I always wondered about that setting. It confuses me. If in fact this setting makes the inner loop shot smoother, why would it not be a default setting? In fact, why would it even be an option? I.e., what would the advantage be to *not* turning it on?

#9098 3 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

No. Completely related to... you flip the right flipper way more than the left... because... there are two right flippers.

So why do the 8+ year old plungers on my WoZ ECLE look so different than my R&M? Both of them (even though there is one more right flipper than left)? Or on my Wonka that has at least 3-4x as many games as R&M.

You are not objective. I thought you'd show up here next after berating me on Facebook. Stop dismissing issues people are having with their games. You have a unique relationship with the manufacturer and are gaslighting people when real issues exist. You act like people are out with pitchforks when really we just want to play our games and enjoy them.

Now comparing with my other, older games the wear on the R&M plungers is worrisome. I wasn't going to compare before, but since you replied I did. Thanks for shedding light on this new issue.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#9099 3 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Good tips

#9100 3 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I always wondered about that setting. It confuses me. If in fact this setting makes the inner loop shot smoother, why would it not be a default setting? In fact, why would it even be an option? I.e., what would the advantage be to *not* turning it on?

I agree. Seems like one of those settings you'd want to have on by default. I don't remember seeing it before, but glad I found it now!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

10,000 (OBO)
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 60.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, FL
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 28.00
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 11.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 300.00
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 13,500.00
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 20,217 posts in this topic. You are on page 182 of 405.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aw-jeez-official-rick-and-morty-club/page/182?hl=bitternerd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.