Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 112 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Homepin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

black-death (resized).jpg
    india_call_center_philippines_competition (resized).jpg
    4fe099ed9aec20368b3df77d7fb5354f9c55079b (resized).jpg
    bf5670dc6e3f4eef09236685a1b270e3 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8606 (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#43 6 years ago

Before Paypal, there was Western Union money orders, there was Bid Pay, and there was the old "I'll take you check and ship the product when your check clears the bank" stuff.

I had an Ebay purchase go bad. PP made sure I got my money back.

I had an independent purchase go bad and put on a dispute; The seller contacted me and begged begged begged my to release the dispute "the parts are on the way". PP advised me to not lift the dispute. I did not listen and got hosed by the seller.

I have completed several small friends and family transactions. Never had any trouble.

Years ago, when I was selling on Ebay, I did not want to pay PP its cut so I took checks only. Then I reasoned that I might get more buyers/bidders and a higher auction sales price if I did take PP.

Ebay takes a cut. PP takes a cut. Cuts bite. But so does having an ad on Craigslist for weeks on end. And waiting for the check to clear.

Wire transfers, as mentioned earlier, for larger transactions are the safest way to sell a pin. But the seller can only play "hardass" with a pin that is in demand. If it is some old POS pin that nobody wants, you start kissing ass to make it sell. And to anyone who thinks PP and Ebay get greedy, go to your bank and do a wire transfer; Bank wire transfers are not cheap. The bank will GET its steep cut. I paid wire transfer fees, but it was for a hard-to-find pin. For some average pin, you--the seller can pay that fee.

I remember how it was to do long distance transactions before PP. I like it this way.

For you sellers with your own website, if you prefer I pay you directly with my credit card, then send me a signal by having a larger CC window than your PP window. Or tell me your prefer CC payments;I'll try to help you out, but if I can choose your PP window, all I have to do is get logged into PP and it is a done deal. With your CC window, I have to type in all my CC info. and yours is just one more site where my data can get hacked.

#66 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinmaniac:

If they want fees for every transaction then they shouldn't offer a friends and family transaction. The pin sales were to friends of mine.

PP is offering a nice free service here. Mom and Dad can send Jr. some money at college when he is getting a little low. There is a section on PP where it says it is for sales of goods. As you have just said yourself, "the pin sales"...... so you WERE selling and using PP for a sales vehicle can couldn't care less if you blow it for some who wants to send some money to grandma.

If they were/are friends why not just have them send you a check? Of course, you would have to buy a stamp.

#67 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinmaniac:

They couldn't care less that I was using friends and family. They didn't like seeing three large transactions in one week.

That's just what they told you. I'm sure by now that PP has got it message across to you and it will probably be awhile for you "move" another pin via F & F.

#77 6 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Hope everyone remembers, starting this year if you have gross sales over $20,000 and have over 200 sales in a calendar year, you and the IRS will receive a 1099-K.
    From https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/irs6050w
    "Personal payments that are not payments for the sale of goods or services will not be counted when determining if the IRS thresholds have been reached and will not be included on your Form 1099-K if you exceed the thresholds. However, all payments received for the sale of goods or services will be used to calculate the gross payment volume to be reported. PayPal monitors accounts to ensure that personal payments are not being used for sales of goods and services."

Oooh. THat is going to hammer a lot of sellers. Sellers, you better get receipts for anything you buy that you also plan on selling I have a receipt for on of my pinball machines. The rest were all bought with cash with no receipt---so as far as the IRS would be concerned, my cost basis in a pin---with no receipt--would be a cost basis on $0.00.

Sell off your collection you long time collection for around $25,000.00. If you cannot document your costs, the IRA will consider that you owe taxes on income of $25,000.00. Even if you had more than $25K invested in your collection.

This partly explains why PP is getting a little squirrelly about this. PP now has a partner, looking over its shoulder, called the IRS.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avoid-paypal-like-the-plague?tu=cottonm4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.