tumblr_inline_o58r6dmSfe1suaed2_500[1] (resized).png
Screenshot_20211230-094812_Twitter (resized).jpg
D2BCF8D8-BD81-4EDF-8D79-F6EE153DC37D (resized).jpeg
a6549840df2ef6cae69fb72be8dd20ddb2bd53b922d0132de2f6ef93cb635d62_1.jpg
WesternLaugh.gif
BAAC4311-2103-40CA-AC5A-E825E64B7217 (resized).png
430E1A71-002B-4CFF-8BF4-D6669E87261B (resized).png
ECA61122-E6C8-48AC-95C2-45700A280B56 (resized).jpeg
7258xSVeJbKkzXhyseBP4PYz11eBDT8sW2oR1a4vfVFS6Hp8R8AQ9q68E2jZDR7NyMiim42iuDXwbrerFqcY59t3r5aL2CJz5v6Pu3S1JMAM92gNrQZ5Q9uUxiMWRFRS
b8e4562a6ef0c4e7a71854d9de9300c481cc8459 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider porkcarrot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#141 2 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

oh, please. if Jack didn't enter the market, your only NIB option in 2021 would be CSI: Vault Edition, with incandescent lights and a Dot Matrix Display. And maybe they'd be putting the finishing touches on Wheel of Fortune code.
Love or hate JJP, credit where credit is due.

Ok, but would it cost like $5000 msrp? And be only one version? And what would the used market look like?

I definitely don’t think JJP is entirely responsible for the ridiculous explosion of high end machines and price inflation, but they contributed for sure. And I say this as someone who owns a (used) JJP.

#147 2 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Oh please. I’m done with Stern, their machines are crap compared to JJP, AP and Spooky.
Every Spike Stern I’ve bought, about 5 of them have had issues and needed major dialing in.
Without JJP, we would still have DMD’s. They changed the game

Dialing in games is part of owning them. Also, I guess I’m in the minority here, but dmds are just fine. LCDs look cool, but they don’t really add that much. Pinball is about what the actual pinball actually touches.

#381 2 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

I know its shitty to chargeback a card and hurt a distro, but at the same time once the distros are tired of getting shafted they will really put the hammer down on JJP quality, so I am very torn on that issue. If I had no other recourse, what else am I supposed to do? Giant ass washers sent to me as a best case scenario is not gonna cut it.

You bought the product knowing these issues existed. This isn't new. Why is it fair to put the problem back on the distro because you got burned by the risk you took?

This is a whole thread of people pilling on JJP, and rightly. But I don't think anyone who bought a GNR has any room to complain here. This was an issue before that and you bought it anyway.

#388 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Could also ask distributors why they would continue to sell products with these issues. Not suggesting folks should burn their distros with chargebacks, but if you're going to blame JJP and buyers, the middle man must also assume some responsibility. Distros know as much (or more) than buyers. Why are they exempt?

Are they supposed to just stop selling JJP entirely? That's an absurd stance. I think a good distributor would warn buyers of known issues. But in the end, the buyers are the problem. People are going to buy. You want the distributor to risk their business and income on it? They are just as frustrated with JJP, but they can't just stop, this is their business. But the buyers can actually just stop.

It's like people don't realize you don't actually have to buy the new games.

Edit: It should also be noted that not everyone cares about chipping and pooling. Some people buy the games to play them knowing that damage is going to happen. The distributors still serve these people.

But, if you care so much about this, you shouldn't have bought this. Plain and simple. People have been using the phrase "speak with your wallet" for years about quality and playfield issues. Take a bit of personal responsibility here.

#392 2 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

The distributor bought the product knowing these issues existed. The distributor is JJP's customer & business partner. They have an agreement with JJP that often includes some level of user support.
Interesting scenario in the case of used games changing hands. I would think the distributor is out of it at that point but maybe some regional responsibility? That's something a used buyer should know before purchase.

Quoted from JohnTTwo:

You mean the non-refundable deposit after they changed the warranty?
I will enjoy being forced to buy a game and have them make it right

NO ONE FORCED YOU TO MAKE A DEPOSIT! No one made you buy the game.

#395 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Is it more or less absurd than selling $10k+ games with chipping playfields? At some point distros might conclude that the juice is no longer worth the squeeze. There are more fish (manufacturers) in the sea.
JJP has already backstabbed distros by selling some of the highest profit margin games of all time direct from the factory. Be careful what you wish for. Let JJP sell 'am all direct, make all the profit, and deal with all the hassle.

I'm not defending JJP here. I'm saying that people wouldn't have a problem with their GNR playfields if they hadn't bought the game in the first place. This isn't a new issue with GNR. But the people who bought it decided it was worth the risk. Now they are paying for it.

Take the loss you earned, learn from it, and stop buying new games until it is proven to be fixed.

#415 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

I know. You're defending the distros. I'm asking, why are they exempt from blame and/or financial responsibility?

I'm not a fan of the distros either, but I don't see why they should take the hit because a customer knowingly bought a product that they might have an issue with. The distros need to keep selling them, that is literally their business. If they just stop selling JJPs, they lose the customers who were going to buy and they lose JJP. And if JJP fixes all their issues before the next big game, they lose all that business too.

The distros want these issues to go away, but they can't risk their livelihood on taking that stance. The game buyers can take that stance no problem. There is no reason for them to buy the game other than it looks pretty and they want it.

#416 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

LMAO some of us put money down with a warranty that covered playfield defects, after taking our money then changed the terms of the warranty and now will not refund deposits.
So tell me how that is right? Buy our game or lose your deposit. LOL

Their service was bad before that. It was known they had problems. You believed them. You took the risk. They are wrong. But so are you.

#422 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Because the distro knowingly sold a product fraught with issues? And not all buyers know beforehand. Many are blissfully unaware of pinside until their playfield starts falling apart.

"It makes money" is not a blanket license to do as you please without repercussion. Well, it usually is, but it shouldn't be.

The distro also sold a product knowing that not all their buyers cared. The chipping and pooling doesn't affect the game play. That is an issue the people who care. If you want to hurt them, don't buy from the distro. Then they are suck with stock they can't sell. But that isn't what happened. People bought them anyway. Bought them all. I'm not saying the distros are without blame. What I am saying is it isn't fair to burn them for a buyer's decision.

What you are basically saying is "This guy sold me a product that might have problems. I knew it might have problems when I bought it, but I did it anyway. But, he shouldn't have sold it to me, so it is his fault."

And it is possible not all buyers knew ahead of time, but most did. And for the ones who didn't, why should they be exempt? They made a $10,000K purchase without researching quality issues?

To state it again, I think JJP is bad here. I don't like the distro model. But the way to fix this is to stop buying the machines. Not to buy the machine and complain later. And definitely not to charge back to the middle man who didn't build your bad machine or deny your warranty claim.

#425 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

If a manufacturer claims the issue is fixed, and it is not, that is 100% the manufacturers fault. Stop blaming the customer.

Why? Why is the customer off the hook? If there is no proof the issue is fixed, why would anyone believe them? If this were some real world problem, I'd agree. But this isn't food, or medicine, or something people need. This isn't a regulated industry like that. This is an expensive toy. It is real easy to not buy it. To wait and see that the problems are solved. But buyers didn't want to do that. They wanted to take the risk. Why shouldn't they suffer from the risk? Pinball isn't an investment. There is no guarantee money won't be lost. And these machines aren't worthless. People still want them. They can still be played. They can still be sold.

Sell the machine. Take the loss of the risk that was made. Don't make the same mistake again.

#429 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

At what point is the risk not worth the reward. We all have a different line. They moved the line, changed the terms and should let people back out or stay under the new terms. Yours line seems very short.
People were not and are not being given opportunity to sign up and agree to this hey we don't warranty playfields. Fair is fair

Yeah, my line is basically non-existent. There is no chance of me buying a NIB JJP.

Changing the warranty is shitty, but putting down a deposit on something you haven't seen is a risk. That is what a deposit is. "I am putting down this money because I want to buy it when it is available. I want to make sure I get one so I am putting down this money to hold it even though I haven't actually seen what I am buying." That is accepting a risk when you give them the money. If you didn't want the risk, you didn't have to put down the money. You didn't need to buy the machine. You wanted it, that's fine. But you bought something without seeing it. That is a risk.

#434 2 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Dude...between Wonka and GNR we were all shown this magic new Mirco playfield technology that was supposed to fix all the playfield issues. Buyers had no reason not to think issues were going to be solved. Distributors have all the leverage against manufacturers. How many times have you heard the story that it took going to a distributor to get somebodies issue taken care of? It happens constantly. If distros are getting burned because of JJP's bad quality, they are the ones who can force JJP's hand.

If your stance is that new playfields were shown and everyone thought it should be fine, how is the distro at fault at all? Why is it ok to fuck them now? Yes, they have the leverage to push back to JJP. So call them. Make it clear to them you won't buy any more JJP. Get lots of people to do that.

But how is it ok at all to burn them? Not liking the distro model is not a reason to hurt them to get your way. JJP is the problem.

#435 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

So you don't or can't see how JJP changing the warranty has changed the amount of risk? FYI I actually played the game before I ordered it.

They did change the amount of risk, but the risk was already there. The $1000 was what was risked. Once the purchase was made, the risk went up. And the option was to walk away losing $1000. Not that much in this hobby, certainly not if preordering a $10,000+ machine. Sure it sucks, but then you have none of these problems.

#441 2 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Distributors took the money. Distributors will return the money.
When you sell me a defective widget I take it up with you. You take it up with your supplier, and so on up the chain.
It sounds like you want the distributors to make the profit without taking the risk?

No. What I am saying is distributors shouldn't be punished for risks the buyers took. The distros took the risk when they bought from JJP. They get burned when people don't buy them. I don't think it is fair to buy from them knowing the risk and when you don't like it to burn them. I'll say it again, distributors are not the enemy here. They are the middlemen. If you bought direct from JJP, by all means charge that shit back. Had the distributor knowingly lied to you, I'd be one your side. But everyone knew the risks here.

People here aren't actually arguing that the distros are at fault. People are arguing that making the distros hurt will then hurt JJP. I think that is a very shitty thing to do.

#442 2 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

I know we all hate car analogies...
But when you buy a car at the dealership and it's a turd, who fixes it? Honda directly?

Because distros assume and take the risk like any other businesses in the USA, and benefit from the business tax code established therein.
Why should the consumer assume all the risk? Plus, you went to the local distro and paid more for your machine in order to be protected. Use that protection and let the distro sort it out?

You are talking in generalities. I am talking in specifics. The customer shouldn't always assume the risk. But in this instance, of an expensive toy from a company with known issues, the buyers knew the risk and made the purchase anyway. There is a reason carguments don't work. The markets aren't the same, the sizes of the companies aren't the same, the stakes aren't the same. If you buy a knew car, there is a knowledge that it will be highly tested and if something goes wrong, the car companies will have to correct it. Pinball isn't like that. The buyer assumes the risk because pinballs are fragile, mechanical toys. Things go wrong. Machines have wear. Machines break. Sometimes you lose money. That's how it goes.

#453 2 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

exactly. distros know the JJP track record and still decide to sell this crap then they will have to deal with the problems as well.

Buyers know the track record too. Why should they not incur risks for their purchases? Why shouldn't they have to deal with it? Again, no one made you buy the game from the distributor. The distributor business model makes them buy the game because customers want it. Some can just stop selling JJP altogether, but not all distros can do that. For the most part distros aren't big businesses with large investor backing. Work with them to put the pain to JJP, don't fuck them over in the hopes it will hurt the people really responsible.

#459 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Your argument makes absolutely No sense no matter how many times you preach it. If your buying a car, a plant, or a bottle of ketchup your contract and grievance is with the distributor. Be that the Ford dealer, Home Depot, or Walmart. They accepted the terms of being the broker for the product and if they choose to keep repping said product that is their business choice. That is who we paid and that is who should sort it out or change their business partner.

You are arguing things that sell exponentially many more items. Pinball is small and niche. It’s a completely different market.

#461 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Why not?
They would if no one was buying them. They would if the problems become so great that it caused a loss in revenue as apposed to a profit. There are plenty of other games to sell.

If no one was buying them, yes. But people are buying them. ALL OF THEM. All these machines sell. Sometimes before pictures even come out. Distributors business is selling pinball machines. And buyers are buying them. If small distributors stop carrying JJP but others don’t, those others are going to make more money, gain more market, and possibly put the smaller distros out of business.

Distros should stop carrying JJP, but it’s real hard to do that without knowing other business will be there. And I don’t blame them at all for not relying on consumers to support them for their stance. The high-end pinball buying public isn’t filled with rationality. You can all say you don’t like JJP and people shouldn’t buy them. But you still did. You still bought GNR. And that’s my point.

#462 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Come on your reaching now. A product is a product. If it’s crap don’t sell it.

If it’s crap, don’t buy it!!!

#469 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Yeah and if the distributor wants to continue to sell them then they have to deal with the repercussions. Personally I wouldn't care about some PF chipping (with in reason of course" I've had it on a couple Sterns. Its not a big deal for me. But for many at these prices who can blame them for holding the distributor responsible for delivering on refunds or replacements etc.

There's plenty of other business to do. Stern falling apart could have an impact for a Pin distro company but the others including JJP are all boutique and could easily disappear.

Again, I’m not saying a distributor has no responsibility. But the crux of this is people saying they should charge back credit card transactions to the distributors because JJP isn’t giving them the service they want. Trying to put their businesses in enough pain that they will deal with JJP. I think that’s a shitty thing to do to someone’s business given that the buyers knew going in that there were issues.

If someone didn’t like the risk, they shouldn’t have bought it. It’s that simple.

1 week later
#860 2 years ago

People complaining about cost cutting as if it’s a bad thing. Pinball machines are too damn expensive now, if companies can cut costs without actually affecting the gameplay. I’m all for it.

Especially with some of the changes they made that I actually prefer, like the lock down bar. I was really surprised when I heard people complain about it, I thought it was great the first time I got a machine that had one.

#1042 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

While I agree Dialed In's name/theme probably hurt it more than it helped it.

You aren’t wrong, and that’s the sad indictment of current pinball collecting. It’s a great game, but people don’t want it because it doesn’t have celebrities or blockbusters on it. Though if I’m being honest, I’m mostly happy about it because I was able to get one at a fair price because theme whores overlook it.

#1043 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

They should just re-theme DI to any available licensed theme and re-release - together with a better Sim hole design.

The SIM card shot really isn’t bad if you take the cliffy off and enjoy the machine as a toy and not a pristine collectors item.

#1054 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

nope on both.

Actually it is, and I have never had a Cliffy on it.
The sim card shot is terrible, it is what it is. Removing a post rubber, or post may help it. Flipper power change not really.
As I always say; Post a pic of of your "sim card shots per game" audits from you game and lets see what it is. Remember, you gotta nail 8, maybe 9 that are lit for wizard....but let's just see an average game of yours.

Huh? It's dropped in value more than any game I own. $8K Standard NIB.

It’s still a hard shot, it’s supposed to be. I’ll grant you it could definitely be better, but I don’t think it’s game breaking.

#1055 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Wrong.
Its because of the kiddie style approach they took, the "bob the builder" and his strange looking female denim overall counterpart. The tween girl style cell phone and more. rules and shots are all good but............. If they had made it a little more intense like that video game "watchdogs" it would have fared much better. This is JJP's main problem. Theme choice. Ok some pooling and chipping I get it but if they released their own Terminator game or Predator, Road Warrior, Robocop even a great OG theme those issues would not prevent me from buying a JJP NIB pin, but whats on the horizon? Toy Story. What a joke.

You just proved my point exactly. You like the rules and shots, you don’t like it only because of the theme.

#1068 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Far from exactly. I don't need celebrities or blockbusters. Forget Robocop, make an orginial theme about a crime fighting robot without going kiddie and I'm in. Doesn't have to be Terminator, again a ruthless cyborg that needs to be stopped from killing people, ok sounds good to me, hell I'd like to play as the ruthless cyborg. But if u put him in denim overalls, make the music sound like its fitting for a Pre K Bday party etc. its not gonna do very well sir. I actually would prefer OG themes which would lift any kind of license crap and give the designers full reign.

Ok, you disagree with my snarky line, but the point remains the same. People let the theme keep them away from good games.

#1074 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I can't agree with that either. The theme is a huge factor in the overall enjoyment of a pin, for me anyway. And yes I don't stand for "Snarky" remarks. I'll tolerate "Snooty" and can even enjoy straight out "Snippy" but not Snarky, never.

And that's what I'm mostly happy about. I'll gladly scoop up cheaper pins that people don't want because of theme. It doesn't matter to me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Glendora, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 60.00
Hardware
Pin Parts

€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 210.00
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Moreno Valley, CA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 109.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider porkcarrot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avoid-jjp-they-do-not-stand-behind-their-products?tu=porkcarrot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.