tumblr_inline_o58r6dmSfe1suaed2_500[1] (resized).png
Screenshot_20211230-094812_Twitter (resized).jpg
D2BCF8D8-BD81-4EDF-8D79-F6EE153DC37D (resized).jpeg
a6549840df2ef6cae69fb72be8dd20ddb2bd53b922d0132de2f6ef93cb635d62_1.jpg
WesternLaugh.gif
BAAC4311-2103-40CA-AC5A-E825E64B7217 (resized).png
430E1A71-002B-4CFF-8BF4-D6669E87261B (resized).png
ECA61122-E6C8-48AC-95C2-45700A280B56 (resized).jpeg
7258xSVeJbKkzXhyseBP4PYz11eBDT8sW2oR1a4vfVFS6Hp8R8AQ9q68E2jZDR7NyMiim42iuDXwbrerFqcY59t3r5aL2CJz5v6Pu3S1JMAM92gNrQZ5Q9uUxiMWRFRS
b8e4562a6ef0c4e7a71854d9de9300c481cc8459 (resized).png

There are 1,518 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 31.
#1 2 years ago

*Flame suit equipped*

I just want to warn anyone considering purchasing a JJP game about their awful level of warranty support for such an expensive product.

I am a hobby operator and I am just so disappointed by the level of warranty coverage provided by JJP it just doesn't make financial sense to continue purchasing their products since they don't stand behind them.

My distributor has been great and fought the good battle but JJP is just not a good company.

I purchased a GNR LE and received it in Dec of 2020 and placed it on location.

In Feb 2021 one of the light lenses cracked from the backboard and had to order a replacement - this was sent within a month by JJP and was no issue.

in May of 2021 the left spot light stepper motor went bad. JJP denied the warranty claim and my distributor actually purchased the motor for me unexpectedly because he's awesome. Keep in mind this machine is 6 months old at this point and JJP doesn't provide a motor for a customer that has purchased 4 machines from them.

Last week - July of 2021 the machine develops an apparent short in the switch matrix. I troubleshoot it back to a problem on the main I/O board. The machine will not work with this matrix short as it controls the ball trough and just will not start a game. At this point I have a machine that is 8 months old with the main board that went bad and JJP once again denies my warranty claim.
They want $450 for a new board or will repair the old board for $140/hr. Keep in mind this is a machine with less than 2k plays on it. I basically have a bricked 10k machine unless I pay up. A big chunk of the earnings for this machine is just out the window because the company sucks and doesn't take care of their customers.

It is absolutely ridiculous to have a machine that cost $10k with almost zero warranty support.

This is in addition to the awful clear coat they use on their machines that is just bubbling and chipping away little by little with each play.

I won't be buying anymore JJP games in the future. I'm done. If you're on the fence I would hop down and go with something else. Absolute junk.

#2 2 years ago

They just raise prices, not warranties. People can bag on stern all they want but I've received free parts from them 4 years out or more on multiple occasions. JJP gives gives you the finger and hopes people keep buying.

#3 2 years ago

Counterpoint: toys!!!! And world under glass!!! And MECHS!!

Also coils

#4 2 years ago

OP, I'm sorry for your issues you've experienced. I will say this should come as a surprise to nobody, however. Their quality and support have gone down big time.

It really looks like Spooky is now solidly in second place.

#5 2 years ago

Well said Matt JJP quality went down hill big time my play field looks like shit. Also after a few plays half of there junk rubbers are snapping apart. First and last JJP game for me as well.

#6 2 years ago

My NIB DI was built like a tank. I loved that game and played it constantly. When the phone part died (such a cheap product...) they ignored my emails and phone calls repeatedly. I forgot how I finally got someone to help me. It was about 8 months in. To their credit, they charged me for the phone and gave me a refund upon receiving my dead one.

I never forgot the lack of support though, and that's what made me stop buying from them and start buying from Spooky. Customer service is so important these days.

I was on the fence with GnR. If that was a Stern or Spooky game, I would have purchased it day one. JJP made me hesitate, and then when they raised their prices mid-sale, that was an obvious "no" from me.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I hope it all works out.

#7 2 years ago

I have had no issues with Stern support. They have sent me parts and boards without question on games that were far out of warranty. That is the level of support that I would expect from a professional company. I think that's what really shocked me with this. The only reason I've been branching out from Stern is I feel they're all too similar and like to have more diversity in my lineup. That was a bad decision because Stern pros earn exactly the same as a JJP and cost half as much with better support. I wasn't that mad about the stepper motor but the main board shouldn't die that quickly. They should definitely step up and offer to repair it for free at minimum.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

I was on the fence with GnR. If that was a Stern or Spooky game, I would have purchased it day one. JJP made me hesitate, and then when they raised their prices mid-sale, that was an obvious "no" from me.

You made the best choice. When I was initially troubleshooting the switch matrix short I pulled off the apron because it was initially showing as a trough error and the clear coat is just flaking away at all the screw holes in the playfield under the apron where there is no ball activity. It is just the shittiest clear coat I've ever seen on any machine.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Counterpoint: toys!!!! And world under glass!!! And MECHS!!
Also coils

A broken world under glass apparently.

I love Wonka, one of my favorite games but you have to spend countless hours dialing that thing so it even plays.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

*Flame suit equipped*
I just want to warn anyone considering purchasing a JJP game about their awful level of warranty support for such an expensive product.
I am a hobby operator and I am just so disappointed by the level of warranty coverage provided by JJP it just doesn't make financial sense to continue purchasing their products since they don't stand behind them.
My distributor has been great and fought the good battle but JJP is just not a good company.
I purchased a GNR LE and received it in Dec of 2020 and placed it on location.
In Feb 2021 one of the light lenses cracked from the backboard and had to order a replacement - this was sent within a month by JJP and was no issue.
in May of 2021 the left spot light stepper motor went bad. JJP denied the warranty claim and my distributor actually purchased the motor for me unexpectedly because he's awesome. Keep in mind this machine is 6 months old at this point and JJP doesn't provide a motor for a customer that has purchased 4 machines from them.
Last week - July of 2021 the machine develops an apparent short in the switch matrix. I troubleshoot it back to a problem on the main I/O board. The machine will not work with this matrix short as it controls the ball trough and just will not start a game. At this point I have a machine that is 8 months old with the main board that went bad and JJP once again denies my warranty claim.
They want $450 for a new board or will repair the old board for $140/hr. Keep in mind this is a machine with less than 2k plays on it. I basically have a bricked 10k machine unless I pay up. A big chunk of the earnings for this machine is just out the window because the company sucks and doesn't take care of their customers.
It is absolutely ridiculous to have a machine that cost $10k with almost zero warranty support.
This is in addition to the awful clear coat they use on their machines that is just bubbling and chipping away little by little with each play.
I won't be buying anymore JJP games in the future. I'm done. If you're on the fence I would hop down and go with something else. Absolute junk.

So a board died after 8 months and they denied your claim , Stern Boards are only warrantied for 60 days .
People have have said the same thing about Stearn's warranty as well .

IMG_20210722_011854 (resized).jpgIMG_20210722_011854 (resized).jpg
#11 2 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

So a board died after 8 months and they denied your claim , Stern Boards are only warrantied for 60 days .
People have have said the same thing about Stearn's warranty as well .[quoted image]

I've definitely had Stern boards fail after a year and they send me a replacement no questions asked. It may be written as 60 days but in my experience they have taken care of me. I do agree that a 60 day warranty is total bullshit. Just stand behind your products.

#12 2 years ago

I was a pretty huge JJP fanboy and bought their first three games. Anytime I needed customer support I received it but it was certainly a janky process at times. You never knew if using the website, an e-mail, or a phone call would get you the help you needed. Usually a phone call worked.

I think, as with most hobby communities, there's a super vocal minority that has had a bad experience and wants to make sure the whole world knows about it. This can make it seem like there are no happy customers but the happy ones just don't share their feelings that often.

That's not to say those with faulty products shouldn't be compensated but there's definitely an echo-chamber on PinSide.

I'm no longer a fanboy and sold everything except WOZ however I would still buy another one of their games if I liked the theme/layout regardless of PinSide's opinion of things.

#13 2 years ago

Dang...All these stories about JJP has got me reconsidering Toy Story.

I've purchased several Stern machines and have never had an issue with customer support. They've always gone above and beyond. One time, I even got a call from Gary.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

People have have said the same thing about Stearn's warranty as well .[quoted image]

Are you implying that two wongs DO make a right? Sten has had big snafus in the past, too. This doesn't diminish how JJP has taken the crown in crapulence, however. JJP at their worst is definitely more poor than Stern at theirs.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

I think, as with most hobby communities, there's a super vocal minority that has had a bad experience and wants to make sure the whole world knows about it. This can make it seem like there are no happy customers but the happy ones just don't share their feelings that often.

I agree with this but I don't think it applies here. JJP should stand behind their product. This isn't like some petty complaint that I've seen on here. The entire machine is bricked because the main I/O board is faulty. I didn't complain about the garbage clear coat. If the company doesn't cover when the main component of the machine fails then something is definitely wrong. Dismissing people that have issues and have been wronged by the company just because you haven't had an issue is just giving JJP a pass which isn't fair to the community.

I'm sure if you were in my shoes you would feel differently about it.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Are you implying that two wongs DO make a right? Sten has had big snafus in the past, too. This doesn't diminish how JJP has taken the crown in crapulence, however. JJP at their worst is definitely more poor than Stern at theirs.

I'm not saying anyone's better or worse than anyone , some people have had good and bad experiences with both companies .

#17 2 years ago

It's a shame what happened to their customer service. When I bought my Dialed In,Frank and Steve were great when I had problems with my game. My phone was replaced four times,and I probably had to replace "Bobs Trap Door" at least five times. They also sent me some replacement drones. I also received a new video card,if I remember correctly.
After hearing about there recent playfield problems,and their lack of customer service,I'd never buy another game from them.
I was considering a Toy Story,if that was their next game,but that's not gonna happen now.
It's a shame because my "Dialed In" was well built,and I expected a few bugs with a NIB game.

#18 2 years ago

Yes, but don't you understand GNR is a grail theme and is not only the best pinball machine ever created, but is also probably the best coin-operated amusement device in history?

I mean, if you are genuinely committed to the GAME, you'd understand that its relentless awesomeness transcends any trivial concerns about mundane stuff THAT DOESN'T EVEN IMPACT GAMEPLAY and stop being so nitpicky (this stuff is hand-made, dontcha know).

Why bite the hand of the company that finally made all of your pinball dreams come true? You should be thanking them instead, ungrateful jerks!

In all seriousness, the situation is terrible for all involved and I really hope you guys can find some semblance of an acceptable resolution. Few things are more deflating than the fiasco some of you have gone through with this, and I am sorry that the euphoria of cracking open a NIB game was almost immediately throttled for some of you.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from Thermionic:

In all seriousness, the situation is terrible for all involved and I really hope you guys can find some semblance of an acceptable resolution. Few things are more deflating than the fiasco some of you have gone through with this, and I am sorry that the euphoria of cracking open a NIB game was almost immediately throttled for some of you.

At the end of the day, paying $450 for a new board may be "an acceptable resolution."

#20 2 years ago

Spooky rules!

Stern has been great to me, haven’t needed anything recently on my two new Sterns so that’s just as well but I don’t know how they do stand behind it lately.

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from Thermionic:

Yes, but don't you understand GNR is a grail theme and is not only the best pinball machine ever created, but is also probably the best coin-operated amusement device in history?
I mean, if you are genuinely committed to the GAME, you'd understand that its relentless awesomeness transcends any trivial concerns about mundane stuff THAT DOESN'T EVEN IMPACT GAMEPLAY and stop being so nitpicky (this stuff is hand-made, dontcha know).
Why bite the hand of the company that finally made all of your pinball dreams come true? You should be thanking them instead, ungrateful jerks!

Are you serious or sarcastic about GnR because I don’t care for it personally.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Are you serious or sarcastic about GnR because I don’t care for it personally.

I agree the possible use of sarcasm was just too subtle!

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

At the end of the day, paying $450 for a new board may be "an acceptable resolution."

I believe it's the only resolution.

#24 2 years ago

The JJP support team has been responsive for me in the past (w/in the last year or so), but it's never been a warranty situation. I'm sure "old" JJP would've taken care of you...Too bad that with their new leadership they are now putting their bottom line in front of customer satisfaction/loyalty. Things are good now, but eventually this behavior will catch up with them.

#25 2 years ago

Problems come up in every line of business but it’s how the company handles it that truly matters. Solving issues can solidify a customer for life. It’s a shame that they don’t appear to have much respect for the end user.

#26 2 years ago

Legendary JJP quality!!

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Legendary JJP quality!!

Their bricked games are WAY heavier than a bricked Stern game. The "build quality" and pure heft makes it a much better paperweight. More innovative too.

#28 2 years ago

OP should change the title of this thread to "Pile on JJP"

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

OP should change the title of this thread to "Pile on JJP"

Well it's starting on many threads and spreading by day. JJP had fun, seems liek their bubble might be....

#30 2 years ago

Seems like their CS changed after the move to Chicago. Beforehand, I was able to get parts for free on games where I was not the original owner and past the warranty period.

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Legendary JJP quality!!

My Hobbit is rock solid, reliable and beautiful.

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

I'm sure that fills the OP with joy.

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Did you buy it recently? Because that seems to be the problem if you haven't figured that out.

#34 2 years ago

It's comical that this post isn't even about the playfield issues

I will say this. Barry, on his own from my experience, is a good dude. It's the shit company above him and their terrible policies that are the problem.

Also if JJP is a 0/10 Stern is a 3/10 at best- still unbelievably awful support.

Edit: Would you geniuses mind explaining why you are downvoting me? Do you lack reading comprehension?

#35 2 years ago

Customer Service Is Everything!
Take Care Of Customers & They Take Care Of You

Could not care less what the theme is .... JJP is not for me

At my company, we always do what ever we reasonably can to make customers happy, so you don't find internet threads like this that can been searched and found online forever.

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

It's comical that this post isn't about the playfield issues

Come on dude, even Stones fans are tired of hearing them play "Satisfaction" at every show.

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

My NIB DI was built like a tank. I loved that game and played it constantly. When the phone part died (such a cheap product...) they ignored my emails and phone calls repeatedly. I forgot how I finally got someone to help me. It was about 8 months in. To their credit, they charged me for the phone and gave me a refund upon receiving my dead one.
I never forgot the lack of support though, and that's what made me stop buying from them and start buying from Spooky. Customer service is so important these days.
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I hope it all works out.

I guess its nice that you got refunded after they got your old one but that seems pretty dumb tbh. Why not just send a replacement? Thats what Stern did when my Lil Deadpool head fell off. Didn't even have to ship the old one back. At the VERY least, they could have not charged you unless you didn't send the old one back. Especially after all the screwing around you had to do for months. I would consider that below average customer service at best.

This is of course ignoring the horrendous playfield problems they are having, and instead of helping anyone out, they simply changed their warranty to cover basically nothing. Shameful behavior from JJP

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

It's comical that this post isn't about the playfield issues

Playfields are a problem, not "the" problem. The issue that has a lot of folks upset is JJP's reaction to customer issues.
They aren't answering the phone. The voicemail box is full. If you get through to voicemail, they don't call you back. If you email, you don't get a reply.

Playfield, boards, motors, it doesn't matter. JJP needs to address their customers while they still have customers to address.

#39 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm sure that fills the OP with joy.

My intention was not to do so, but to counter the broad statement that JJP quality is "legendary" in a bad way.

Quoted from TheLaw:

Did you buy it recently? Because that seems to be the problem if you haven't figured that out.

No, I never buy new games. I am the second owner on mine. The former statement is because I do understand that the new products are often flawed, JJP or Stern. I do not have it in me to gamble $10k on anything unseen.

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from heyitsjoebob:

Playfields are a problem, not "the" problem. The issue that has a lot of folks upset is JJP's reaction to customer issues.
They aren't answering the phone. The voicemail box is full. If you get through to voicemail, they don't call you back. If you email, you don't get a reply.
Playfield, boards, motors, it doesn't matter. JJP needs to address their customers while they still have customers to address.

I know dude

#41 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

I do feel like a bit of a stooge for looking the other way on the playfield issues. I just didn't really care as much since the machine is for route. Unfortunately the lack of response or care extends to their entire model and not just the playfield issues. I know better for the future though.

#42 2 years ago

I'm so mad about it because I want a GnR, I've got a line on a gently used one in decent shape. But I'm so so nervous. I don't trust it. Might as well be buying an 80's Gottlieb. Same level of support. I don't think I'm ready for that for a $10,000 machine.

#43 2 years ago
Quoted from heyitsjoebob:

I'm so mad about it because I want a GnR, I've got a line on a gently used one in decent shape. But I'm so so nervous. I don't trust it. Might as well be buying an 80's Gottlieb. Same level of support. I don't think I'm ready for that for a $10,000 machine.

I've got a lightly used one I'll cut you a deal on.

#44 2 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

I've got a lightly used one I'll cut you a deal on.

Hopefully you'd knock about $450 off the Pinside average price?

#45 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

What’s that now? They have PF issues, I wasn’t aware of that. I’m sure people will stop paying mad money for their games unless they’re sending out populated PF replacements.

#46 2 years ago

Wow. To me the playfield thing is one thing... but if you're telling me they are not standing behind their boards and electronics... that's another!

#47 2 years ago
Quoted from Khabbi:

Wow. To me the playfield thing is one thing... but if you're telling me they are not standing behind their boards and electronics... that's another!

Agreed. A metal ball smashing around and causing some chips on a poorly done clear coat is one thing... and it's valid to complain about. But the power driver board failing and not being replaced while under warrant... WTF???

If their profit margins are so poor they have to reduce customer support to the absolute minimum it's definitely a bad sign.

If they are making plenty of money and still don't want to improve the customer experience... also a bad sign.

#48 2 years ago

It’s just garbage support all the way around. I feel bad for the op . However, they are betting that everyone will line up and purchase the next big thing without even a video or play through. Which we/they will most certainly do. I’ll take bets right now that says the next announced pin will sell out within hours.

#49 2 years ago

I am sorry to hear about your GNR, that really sucks! I do appreciate you making this post as well as others who have shared their problems with JJP quality and support. I just recently put money down on my second NIB and as much as I wanted to go with JJP for Guns N’ Roses their crap support caused me to look for a different pin. I am going with Spooky for an Ultraman. We all have different expectations for quality and tolerance for risk, but I will vote with my wallet and only support companies that will support me if I need it.

#50 2 years ago

Send some pictures of the playfield with the flaking issues. Thank you!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
There are 1,518 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 31.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avoid-jjp-they-do-not-stand-behind-their-products?hl=mrawesome44 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.