tumblr_inline_o58r6dmSfe1suaed2_500[1] (resized).png
Screenshot_20211230-094812_Twitter (resized).jpg
D2BCF8D8-BD81-4EDF-8D79-F6EE153DC37D (resized).jpeg
a6549840df2ef6cae69fb72be8dd20ddb2bd53b922d0132de2f6ef93cb635d62_1.jpg
WesternLaugh.gif
BAAC4311-2103-40CA-AC5A-E825E64B7217 (resized).png
430E1A71-002B-4CFF-8BF4-D6669E87261B (resized).png
ECA61122-E6C8-48AC-95C2-45700A280B56 (resized).jpeg
7258xSVeJbKkzXhyseBP4PYz11eBDT8sW2oR1a4vfVFS6Hp8R8AQ9q68E2jZDR7NyMiim42iuDXwbrerFqcY59t3r5aL2CJz5v6Pu3S1JMAM92gNrQZ5Q9uUxiMWRFRS
b8e4562a6ef0c4e7a71854d9de9300c481cc8459 (resized).png

There are 1,518 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 31.
#51 2 years ago

I fancy a GnR but no way in hell would I buy NIB, with ZERO playfield warranty.

If I were to buy a HUO, it would have to be a hefty discount, at least the price of a replacement playfield.

That said, you can't even buy a decent replacement playfield

#52 2 years ago
Quoted from loghome895:

Send some pictures of the playfield with the flacking issues. Thank you!

#53 2 years ago
Quoted from Thermionic:

Yes, but don't you understand GNR is a grail theme and is not only the best pinball machine ever created, but is also probably the best coin-operated amusement device in history?

Bahahahaha

Its not even the best game in whatever room its in. Most overhyped medicore game in history? maybe.

People have to keep in mind Stern is a much bigger company with more employees etc.

You cant expect the same level of service from a smaller company trying to keep overhead down.

#54 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I agree the possible use of sarcasm was just too subtle!

Sorry, yes everything except the last paragraph was my (weak) attempt at schtick. Damn internet, this stuff works so much better face-to-face!

(I've heard it said that about 70% of human communication is nonverbal, which would explain why it is so easy to misinterpret written posts on a forum like this one.)

Regarding my non-sarcastic take on GNR, let's just say I have played a couple of games and understand 100% why some folks have surrendered a little common sense with the defects; it really is a spectacular, immersive feast for the senses and probably does have the power to lead some folks to ignore problems they otherwise might not accept in a NIB game.

#55 2 years ago
Quoted from heyitsjoebob:

//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"cf46f30751af17b155e6a58d54b049ba7f8c7119-1626889107-1800"};
//]]>

Hopefully you'd knock about $450 off the Pinside average price?</blockq

//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"eae47286b3fcffd3507122320b51633d560f6456-1626889147-1800"};
//]]>

Hopefully you'd knock about $450 off the Pinside average price?

Heck no - do you know how many coils are on this machine? Tons!

#56 2 years ago

Hello,

Please call me at 331.223.9396.

I would like to get more info on this.

Thank you,
Barry Engler
Service Manager

#57 2 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

Hello,
Thank you,
Barry Engler
Service Manager

RIP your voice mailbox.

#59 2 years ago

I swore off all JJP games after their crappy service & support on my POTC. I don't care if they make the greatest pinball machine ever, I won't buy another game from them. And they also still haven't finished the code on POTC even though that was 3 games ago for them.

#60 2 years ago

Gotta give credit where credit is due, commendable to come here and tell OP to call him direct.

#61 2 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Gotta give credit where credit is due, commendable to come here and tell OP to call him direct.

Maybe? Seems like OP has given them a lot of chances and this seems reactionary at best.

#62 2 years ago
Quoted from onemilemore:

Maybe? Seems like OP has given them a lot of chances and this seems reactionary at best.

Sometimes you just need to talk to the right person.

#63 2 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

Hello,
Thank you,
Barry Engler
Service Manager

Barry, your (collective) service sucks.

#64 2 years ago

It is pretty bad - I had to send daily emails to get traction. No more NIB purchases for me from JJP

Quoted from Doctor6:

Barry, your (collective) service sucks.

#65 2 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

Hello,
Thank you,
Barry Engler
Service Manager

So in order to get proper service from JJP, one should post a thread here to get your attention?

Seems an awfully roundabout way to take care of your customers, but whatever works...

#66 2 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

*Flame suit equipped*
I just want to warn anyone considering purchasing a JJP game about their awful level of warranty support for such an expensive product.
I am a hobby operator and I am just so disappointed by the level of warranty coverage provided by JJP it just doesn't make financial sense to continue purchasing their products since they don't stand behind them.
My distributor has been great and fought the good battle but JJP is just not a good company.
I purchased a GNR LE and received it in Dec of 2020 and placed it on location.
In Feb 2021 one of the light lenses cracked from the backboard and had to order a replacement - this was sent within a month by JJP and was no issue.
in May of 2021 the left spot light stepper motor went bad. JJP denied the warranty claim and my distributor actually purchased the motor for me unexpectedly because he's awesome. Keep in mind this machine is 6 months old at this point and JJP doesn't provide a motor for a customer that has purchased 4 machines from them.
Last week - July of 2021 the machine develops an apparent short in the switch matrix. I troubleshoot it back to a problem on the main I/O board. The machine will not work with this matrix short as it controls the ball trough and just will not start a game. At this point I have a machine that is 8 months old with the main board that went bad and JJP once again denies my warranty claim.
They want $450 for a new board or will repair the old board for $140/hr. Keep in mind this is a machine with less than 2k plays on it. I basically have a bricked 10k machine unless I pay up. A big chunk of the earnings for this machine is just out the window because the company sucks and doesn't take care of their customers.
It is absolutely ridiculous to have a machine that cost $10k with almost zero warranty support.
This is in addition to the awful clear coat they use on their machines that is just bubbling and chipping away little by little with each play.
I won't be buying anymore JJP games in the future. I'm done. If you're on the fence I would hop down and go with something else. Absolute junk.

*reads title* --> *reviews threads here documenting last 4-5 games with PF planking*

Whoa, you're kidding me!?!??!?!?!

I loathe JJP in every possible way. They came along as "competition" only to raise prices, and thereby, made Stern say "hey, this community is shelling out....push our prices up and say it's because of XYZ costs and they'll buy...don't worry! daddy needs a new Ferrari!!"

That in essence pushed the entire used market up, and it priced a lot of people out. Saving up for a $5500 game is a LOT different than saving up for a $10K game.

And it has been nearly absolutely non-stop since they showed up. They ooo and ahhh'd this community with WOZ, and more and more we see what they really are: a company that doesn't care about you, a company with empty promises, and a company that increases prices because they can and "hell with you".

They've been on borrowed time for a while now. I see no real value they have brought to this community, and I'd go without a single machine in my house before you paid me to own one from JJP.

#67 2 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

*Flame suit equipped*
I just want to warn anyone considering purchasing a JJP game about their awful level of warranty support for such an expensive product.
I am a hobby operator and I am just so disappointed by the level of warranty coverage provided by JJP it just doesn't make financial sense to continue purchasing their products since they don't stand behind them.
My distributor has been great and fought the good battle but JJP is just not a good company.
I purchased a GNR LE and received it in Dec of 2020 and placed it on location.
In Feb 2021 one of the light lenses cracked from the backboard and had to order a replacement - this was sent within a month by JJP and was no issue.
in May of 2021 the left spot light stepper motor went bad. JJP denied the warranty claim and my distributor actually purchased the motor for me unexpectedly because he's awesome. Keep in mind this machine is 6 months old at this point and JJP doesn't provide a motor for a customer that has purchased 4 machines from them.
Last week - July of 2021 the machine develops an apparent short in the switch matrix. I troubleshoot it back to a problem on the main I/O board. The machine will not work with this matrix short as it controls the ball trough and just will not start a game. At this point I have a machine that is 8 months old with the main board that went bad and JJP once again denies my warranty claim.
They want $450 for a new board or will repair the old board for $140/hr. Keep in mind this is a machine with less than 2k plays on it. I basically have a bricked 10k machine unless I pay up. A big chunk of the earnings for this machine is just out the window because the company sucks and doesn't take care of their customers.
It is absolutely ridiculous to have a machine that cost $10k with almost zero warranty support.
This is in addition to the awful clear coat they use on their machines that is just bubbling and chipping away little by little with each play.
I won't be buying anymore JJP games in the future. I'm done. If you're on the fence I would hop down and go with something else. Absolute junk.

I’m going to flag this accusation in the sense that I will share my experience with JJP:

Regarding your #2 item - spotlight: my spotlight also went out recently (I’ve had my LE since November 2020). JJP and my distributor replaced it with a 30-day RMA agreement > i.e. I return the bad spotlight within 30 days of receiving the new one or I have to pay for the new one ($100+?).

So it makes me wonder if you were not offered an RMA agreement on the spotlight, or even board. Or if you or your distributor declined that option?

In any case; JJP has sent me plenty of replacements for my game like coils, sleeves, stops, etc… curious what will happen if a board fails being out of warranty. Hope Barry gets you setup with factual information. They’ve been pretty straight up with my GNR ownership since November.

Now that said, we’ve recently entered a new human era where we’re in a shortage of computer components, so could that be affecting some recent support decisions?

#68 2 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

*reads title* --> *reviews threads here documenting last 4-5 games with PF planking*
Whoa, you're kidding me!?!??!?!?!
I loathe JJP in every possible way. They came along as "competition" only to raise prices, and thereby, made Stern say "hey, this community is shelling out....push our prices up and say it's because of XYZ costs and they'll buy...don't worry! daddy needs a new Ferrari!!"
That in essence pushed the entire used market up, and it priced a lot of people out. Saving up for a $5500 game is a LOT different than saving up for a $10K game.
And it has been nearly absolutely non-stop since they showed up. They ooo and ahhh'd this community with WOZ, and moer and more we see what they really are: a company that doesn't care about you, a company with empty promises, and a company that increases prices because they can and "hell with you".
They've been on borrowed time for a while now. I see no real value they have brought to this community, and I'd go without a machine in my house before you paid me to own one.

Agree. Let's not forget that Jack was supposed to be building machines that were fully loaded and would make stern be more creative with toys and mechs in their new game. Like you said, all it did was raise prices through the roof and Stern is making games with zero creative/unique to a game/title toys. You can look at a stern and it's obvious it's all about pinching pennies. But at least they support their customers!!

#69 2 years ago

In all fairness this is a routed game getting heavy use and not huo fresh out of the box. It's nice that Stern covers a lot outside of warranty but JJP is not Stern.

#70 2 years ago

JJP should listen. I was going to order a GNR but ordered a Halloween instead, because of what I was constantly hearing about their customer service and bad playfields.

#71 2 years ago

Just to share my experience, I’ve had pretty good service from jjp. Had an issue with the power cord going into my monitor for my GnR. Sent them an email and within a day they had responded to help. Had an issue with my sensors going haywire on GnR, emailed jjp and they responded within a reasonable time. Had issues with my potc camera, first one died, then second didnt work, they replaced them quickly. Sent me the part and I sent the bad ones back. Only marginal experience I’ve had was with my hobbit. A drop target board failed 30 days out of warranty. I had hoped they’d replace it for free, but they wouldn’t, cost me $50, not the end of the world. I picked it up from the factory when they were still in NJ.

Not suggesting others haven’t had issues, and maybe things have changed, but it’s not all bad. Is Steve Z still working at jjp? He was great whenever I interacted with him.

#72 2 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

People have to keep in mind Stern is a much bigger company with more employees etc.
You cant expect the same level of service from a smaller company trying to keep overhead down.

Then explain Spooky

#73 2 years ago

If JJP does not stand behind their product, I'm sure as shit not going to either! It's not complicated for me at least. But this hobby has more then enough suckers that will reward poor behaviour by companies like JJP so nothing ever changes.

#74 2 years ago

It's been a while since I needed a Stern replacement part but they have always been great and provided parts years after it was out of warranty and most time I wasn't even the original owner. Knowing this I had less concerns buying a machine second hand because I knew Stern would likely stand behind their product if something failed.

Sadly like many other posts in the past the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Now that JJP has jumped into the thread I'm sure the OP will get their issue resolved but it shouldn't take a Pinside thread to do that.

#75 2 years ago

In my opinion, the fallout is already here and building. Just a few months ago any GNR LE at a realistic price was snapped up quickly... now we have about a dozen for sale in the marketplace.

#76 2 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

In all fairness this is a routed game getting heavy use and not huo fresh out of the box. It's nice that Stern covers a lot outside of warranty but JJP is not Stern.

You think 2000 plays is heavy use? My routed games prob get less use than most HUO games.

#77 2 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

Hello,
Thank you,
Barry Engler
Service Manager

I absolutely can't stand companies that do this. Why does it take you being exposed to do the right thing? I hate to be so harsh, but this infuriates me. It's no different than a school bully getting caught, is about to be punished and suddenly becomes remorseful and apologetic. Had he not got caught, he'd continue to be a bully and will most likely still continue to be a bully after his punishment.

#78 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

So it makes me wonder if you were not offered an RMA agreement on the spotlight, or even board. Or if you or your distributor declined that option?

I was not offered these options. I haven't spoken to JJP directly yet as I typically just work thru a distributor.

#79 2 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I agree, owners should understand that there is much less chance of breaking your game if you dont play it.

#80 2 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

Hello,
Thank you,
Barry Engler
Service Manager

I tried calling but no answer.

#81 2 years ago

Just recently played Mandalorian, Rick & Morty, GNR LE, Zeppelin & AIQ on location. I hate to say it but my entire family had the least fun on GNR, it looked beautiful though! AIQ was a blast to shoot but we had the most fun playing Mando, although the rules were a little confusing. I was expecting to purchase a GNR at some point but now I don't think I will, I'm now glad I didn't put a deposit down. I will consider Toy Story, but I am nervous about the playfields. To be fair, they also had a new Stern TMNT and a rubber was broken so the machine was unplayable and turned off so I think they both use low quality rubbers on the new pins. Zeppelin was kinda fun, but felt a bit empty. I looked close at the GNR playfield and I didn't immediately notice any chipping or issues yet with the playfield. Maybe in a home environment I would like GNR more?

#82 2 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Guessing all the other folks who have issues with JJP quality blew it up before you could get through... good luck!

#83 2 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Just recently played Mandalorian, Rick & Morty, GNR LE, Zeppelin & AIQ on location. I hate to say it but my entire family had the least fun on GNR, it looked beautiful though! AIQ was a blast to shoot but we had the most fun playing Mando, although the rules were a little confusing. I was expecting to purchase a GNR at some point but now I don't think I will, I'm now glad I didn't put a deposit down. I will consider Toy Story, but I am nervous about the playfields. To be fair, they also had a new Stern TMNT and a rubber was broken so the machine was unplayable and turned off so I think they both use low quality rubbers on the new pins. Zeppelin was kinda fun, but felt a bit empty. I looked close at the GNR playfield and I didn't immediately notice any chipping or issues yet with the playfield. Maybe in a home environment I would like GNR more?

GNR to me is about the experience and honestly, you have to be into the code or wanting to learn it to enjoy the game long term! I played one on location where you couldn't hear the music or call-outs very well, and it was a different experience (bad or unfulfilling). Properly setup and loud, along with focusing on code, I think it's a great game. It just sucks that there are so many issues with customer support.

#84 2 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

I agree, owners should understand that there is much less chance of breaking your game if you dont play it.

That's kind of my point. Games break even if relatively new. Sucks but happens. The more crap you have in a game the more things can go wrong. Nice when you get parts for free but not sure you should always expect that when the written warranty specifically says otherwise.

#85 2 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Call every hour and post up, voice mail box is full?

#86 2 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

So a board died after 8 months and they denied your claim , Stern Boards are only warrantied for 60 days .
People have have said the same thing about Stearn's warranty as well .[quoted image]

Have you ever bought a NIB Stern? We have never had an issue with any warranty. Some boards they replaced for us that were over 600 days old. That is the main reason we stick with them and keep buying their games.

We are still in for our Gunners LE. We like to make up our own mind.

#87 2 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

Hello,

Thank you,
Barry Engler
Service Manager

Barry is an amazing dude! Incredibly helpful back in the days when he was with AP. I've not dealt with him since he moved to JJP but he's the man!

#88 2 years ago
Quoted from rx3:

I absolutely can't stand companies that do this. Why does it take you being exposed to do the right thing? I hate to be so harsh, but this infuriates me. It's no different than a school bully getting caught, is about to be punished and suddenly becomes remorseful and apologetic. Had he not got caught, he'd continue to be a bully and will most likely still continue to be a bully after his punishment.

The OP never reached out to us, he "only talked" to his distributor.

Your analogy needs some work.

#89 2 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

Thank you,
Barry Engler
Service Manager

Quoted from Deez:

'I called, no answer so I hung up,' isn't going to get results with anyone, ever.

#90 2 years ago

I bought my CE directly from JJ on day one. The game is just beautiful and everyone that plays it is just blown away. Unfortunately my playfield began showing chipping and bulging. I contacted Jersey Jack and received an email from Barry that they were sending out washers and posts, nothing more. Reached out two weeks later to tell Barry that I still hadn't received the washers or posts. Two weeks later I finally received an email from Barry stating that "We are not sending out washers due to supply issues. They are available to buy from Pinball Life or Marco". Nothing else. To say that I am less than pleased with the service I got from JJP is an understatement.

#91 2 years ago
Quoted from heyitsjoebob:

I don't think I'm ready for that for a $10,000 machine.

Don't worry it's just pennies...One million pennies.

#92 2 years ago
Quoted from Silvabullet:

Two weeks later I finally received an email from Barry stating that "We are not sending out washers due to supply issues. They are available to buy from Pinball Life or Marco".

"We won’t pay retail, but you can!"

#93 2 years ago
Quoted from rx3:

I absolutely can't stand companies that do this. Why does it take you being exposed to do the right thing? I hate to be so harsh, but this infuriates me.

If you think that a company employee responding to an issue brought up in a public forum is infuriating then your expectations are irrational.

Clearly Deez thought they had made contact (at least indirectly) with JJP. The JJP service manager discovered the disconnect and is working to fix it. Being infuriated at that sequence of events is unwarranted. Time will tell if the response solves Deez 's issue.

#94 2 years ago

Wow that's terrible service...Sorry to hear. Was thinking maybe a GNR down the road but after reading all the issues with the playfields and some of the posts above I will never buy anything from them.

#95 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Also if JJP is a 0/10 Stern is a 3/10 at best- still unbelievably awful support.

What experiences are you basing that on? I’d rate Stern a 9/10 on support. My last experience was that one of the 2 rubber things in the backbox for my AS went missing. I emailed them asking where I could buy a replacement, and they just sent me one for free. I didn’t even pay for shipping. And as far as QC, I’d say my STh and JP were built better than some of my older Sterns.

#96 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

What experiences are you basing that on? I’d rate Stern a 9/10 on support. My last experience was that one of the 2 rubber things in the backbox for my AS went missing. I emailed them asking where I could buy a replacement, and they just sent me one for free. I didn’t even pay for shipping. And as far as QC, I’d say my STh and JP were built better than some of my older Sterns.

Same. I cant think of a stern issue that I had that wasn't resolved. And I'm not a company boot lick, just pointing out facts.

#97 2 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

The OP never reached out to us, he "only talked" to his distributor. Your analogy needs some work.

Quoted from Deez:

JJP once again denies my warranty claim. They want $450 for a new board or will repair the old board for $140/hr.

It sounds like he went through his distributor and received this answer from JJP support. So are you saying that any JJP customer who is unhappy with JJP's initial denial through their distributor should call you directly for a second opinion?

Sure smells like damage control to me...

#98 2 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Same. I cant think of a stern issue that I had that wasn't resolved. And I'm not a company boot lick, just pointing out facts.

I've also had nothing but awesome service addressing a few small issues/needed parts on my one and only NIB pin. And I'm a total company boot lick, and pointing out facts.

#99 2 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

The OP never reached out to us, he "only talked" to his distributor.
Your analogy needs some work.

If you don't like his analogies, I can send you a few washers to put over them.

#100 2 years ago

SilvaBullet send some pictures of the playfield Thank You!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 649.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Interactive
€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods
Toys/Add-ons
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Moreno Valley, CA
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 60.00
Hardware
Pin Parts
Hardware
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball
Boards
$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
7,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,518 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 31.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avoid-jjp-they-do-not-stand-behind-their-products/page/2?hl=mrawesome44 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.