tumblr_inline_o58r6dmSfe1suaed2_500[1] (resized).png
Screenshot_20211230-094812_Twitter (resized).jpg
D2BCF8D8-BD81-4EDF-8D79-F6EE153DC37D (resized).jpeg
a6549840df2ef6cae69fb72be8dd20ddb2bd53b922d0132de2f6ef93cb635d62_1.jpg
WesternLaugh.gif
BAAC4311-2103-40CA-AC5A-E825E64B7217 (resized).png
430E1A71-002B-4CFF-8BF4-D6669E87261B (resized).png
ECA61122-E6C8-48AC-95C2-45700A280B56 (resized).jpeg
7258xSVeJbKkzXhyseBP4PYz11eBDT8sW2oR1a4vfVFS6Hp8R8AQ9q68E2jZDR7NyMiim42iuDXwbrerFqcY59t3r5aL2CJz5v6Pu3S1JMAM92gNrQZ5Q9uUxiMWRFRS
b8e4562a6ef0c4e7a71854d9de9300c481cc8459 (resized).png

There are 1,518 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 31.
#951 2 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

you comedians are gonna age one day also. btw never seen any fashion experts at a a pinball show neither

So true!

#952 2 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

you comedians are gonna age one day also. btw never seen any fashion experts at a a pinball show neither

Exactly why I don't think most of ya'll dudes are qualified to drag the man's rad shades

#953 2 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

I am old. Doesn't mean I can't make fun of a group of old people, like my self.

#954 2 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:cmon man.... you think Pinball Star decided to just do that on their own? List specific pricing, the requirement for a serial number, and tell you to contact Barry? You don't think this came straight from JJP?
I could have misheard, so please don't quote me, but fairly certain Zach Meny stated JJP sent that communication to their distributor network. Its as official as you are going to get from them.

jjp1 (resized).JPGjjp1 (resized).JPG
#955 2 years ago

LOL JJP makin' their customers pay for warranty items... i mean it's so fucking obvious with the whole one per game S/N required crap. "We're going to charge you our cost on something we should have replaced no-questions-asked. Oh and have fun installing it..."

But y'all gonna line up for the next JJP anyway...

#956 2 years ago

JJP is making their customers cover what their warranty should. I'll never buy a JJP until they openly address their PF issues.

Such a joke.

#957 2 years ago

Yeah, I'm definitely in a wait-and-see holding pattern for now on new JJP games. I think JJP has handled this situation terribly, and I say that even though I like and appreciate many of their employees.

They've said too many times that the pf issue was solved when it wasn't. And how can anyone have confidence that the next game won't have the same problems.

It's for sure costing JJP sales. How many, who knows, but it's definitely not good for the company in any way. Maybe it's not enought to break the company,, but it's for sure enough to hurt their reputation. They're supposed to be the Cadillac of Pinball.

#958 2 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Yeah, I'm definitely in a wait-and-see holding pattern for now on new JJP games. I think JJP has handled this situation terribly, and I say that even though I like and appreciate many of their employees.
They've said too many times that the pf issue was solved when it wasn't. And how can anyone have confidence that the next game won't have the same problems.
It's for sure costing JJP sales. How many, who knows, but it's definitely not good for the company in any way. Maybe it's not enought to break the company,, but it's for sure enough to hurt their reputation. They're supposed to be the Cadillac of Pinball.

It really seems like they are taking the gamble that every game will sell like GNR and that the market will always be this strong.

Pretty big gamble. Maybe on their next machine any form of warranty will be an add on option. I want a royalty if they steal this idea !!

#959 2 years ago

Wow. Yeah that's total BS. I own a Hobbit and now you'll never see me buy a new JJP machine. F that, with a big F.

I had given them the benefit of the doubt but...

#960 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

This would go away with a simple “We here at JJP recognize the PF issues being reported. Please contact JJP as we fully warranty our playfields and will work to solve your issues” 90% noise would go away and the standard 10% will always remain because people use Pinside to bitch for no good reason

They clearly don't warranty their pf's. People are buying these games hoping for they get a good pf knowing full well of the risk. These issues are not new but people are still lining up to purchase them at even higher prices. I just don't get it.

#961 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

This is all you need to know about pinball in 2021.

All you need to know is that I'm not deterred from looking at a JJP product because of one person's bad experience. Its a reasonable stand to take, and not terribly controversial - unless you are one of "the perpetually triggered". I'm not a bandwagoner or a fanboy. I've had good experiences with JJP and Stern. At worst, if I was interested in Toy Story, I'd probably wait a month to see if they've turned the playfield issues around before considering a purchase.

#962 2 years ago
Quoted from Mechulus:

... I'm not deterred from looking at a JJP product because of one person's bad experience.

Few; luckily its just one person then.

#963 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Few; luckily its just one person then.

Anything positive you can say about JJP pins?

#964 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:Anything positive you can say about JJP pins?

Their cabinets are not coming apart at the seams.

#965 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Yeah I own one and its pretty damn great.
I mean after all the fixing I had to do to fix their fuck-ups

#966 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Dialed In is Amazing, would love to own one someday.

#967 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah I own one and its pretty damn great.
I mean after all the fixing I had to do to fix their fuck-ups

That’s too bad about their fuck ups my only issue was the cell phone kept fucking up.But Frank and Steve kept working to get me a good one!
Dialed In (Chaos in Quantum City) is what they should have called it.

#968 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

That’s too bad about their fuck ups my only issue was the cell phone kept fucking up.But Frank and Steve kept working to get me a good one!
Dialed In (Chaos in Quantum City) is what they should have called it.

Back to the future or Superman or any other number of other licenses that people would have actually liked to buy is what they should have called it.

Def a great game the best JJP game to play and it isn’t even close.

#969 2 years ago

Maybe they should source the playfields from another producer. How can you trust Mirco. Who wants to wait until the end of production. Seems like a scam to set aside problem ones during the run & dump them. How can you trust this will not happen.

#970 2 years ago

Maybe the trick is just to keep them in the box for about 5 years until the clear cures.

#971 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Maybe the trick is just to keep them in the box for about 5 years until the clear cures.

Maybe the trick is not buying a JJP NIB? Nobody has ever built a pin that I couldn't wait 3 or 4 years to buy one second hand.

And damn the route rash on the cabinet and chipping playfields... the need to own a pristine queen is ridiculous if what I plan to do is toss around large chunks of steel into rubber, wood, and plastic.

#972 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

This would go away with a simple “We here at JJP recognize the PF issues being reported. Please contact JJP as we fully warranty our playfields and will work to solve your issues” 90% noise would go away and the standard 10% will always remain because people use Pinside to bitch for no good reason

That’s not true. I bitch for great reasons.

Clouds.
Trees.
That fucking dog pooping in my yard again.

#973 2 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

That’s not true. I bitch for great reasons.

That fucking dog pooping in my yard again.

When life hands you dog poop, make fertilizer.

#974 2 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Nobody has ever built a pin that I couldn't wait 3 or 4 years to buy one second hand

Agree, really - but ah, that new pinball smell!

#975 2 years ago
88247A54-539D-44DA-B8E0-AE6478D4D859 (resized).png88247A54-539D-44DA-B8E0-AE6478D4D859 (resized).png
#976 2 years ago

Lots of good comments from multiple perspectives - but WAY too many personal attacks

Here's my summary many can relate to:

JJP = BMW (1990's) Stylish - Unique - Hi Performance and some models should come with their own personal Repair Tech. Many of those griping will still buy new machines even when they say otherwise - especially those with fat $wallets - there's a bit of ego, social status and FOMO involved here

Stern = Toyota/Honda - Significant reuse of design elements and common parts - they have learned over time how to manage supplier quality and customer expectations - also have advantage of much greater volumes and can do things others can't - good solid models with occasional stars

Spooky = Hyundai/Kia - the late comer with a value proposition making an earnest effort - have some good models and dedicated customers - but many just don't like the 'feel' and theme of the odd-ball models

Bally/Williams = Ford/Chevy - the classics with hits and misses, but you know exactly what you are getting and just feels like coming home after a long trip

That's largely who we/they are.....

#977 2 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I usually wait 6 to 8 weeks on all my NIB purchases before opening. On GnR, I may wait until next year. I mean I already waited from last October till July.

#978 2 years ago

Pinball kinda like cars?!

Well, I never!!

#979 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Pinball kinda like cars?!
Well, I never!!

I wanted to do pinball like caskets, but nobody got that kinda time.

#980 2 years ago

Levi can smell a cargument like trash day in August.

#981 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Levi can smell a cargument like trash day in August.

Like yancy smelling a Spanish Eyes in a tournament room!

#982 2 years ago
Quoted from Oscope:

Stern = Toyota/Honda

Bally/Williams = Ford/Chevy

proxy-image.gifproxy-image.gif

#983 2 years ago
Quoted from Oscope:

Lots of good comments from multiple perspectives - but WAY too many personal attacks
Here's my summary many can relate to:
JJP = BMW (1990's) Stylish - Unique - Hi Performance and some models should come with their own personal Repair Tech. Many of those griping will still buy new machines even when they say otherwise - especially those with fat $wallets - there's a bit of ego, social status and FOMO involved here
Stern = Toyota/Honda - Significant reuse of design elements and common parts - they have learned over time how to manage supplier quality and customer expectations - also have advantage of much greater volumes and can do things others can't - good solid models with occasional stars
Spooky = Hyundai/Kia - the late comer with a value proposition making an earnest effort - have some good models and dedicated customers - but many just don't like the 'feel' and theme of the odd-ball models
Bally/Williams = Ford/Chevy - the classics with hits and misses, but you know exactly what you are getting and just feels like coming home after a long trip
That's largely who we/they are.....

Interesting. Where would you put DP? Ferrari

#984 2 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

I usually wait 6 to 8 weeks on all my NIB purchases before opening. On GnR, I may wait until next year. I mean I already waited from last October till July.

and how much will it suck when that long wait didn't make a difference

#985 2 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Interesting. Where would you put DP?

IMG_20210804_222037 (resized).jpgIMG_20210804_222037 (resized).jpg
#986 2 years ago

I've always considered Stern more like the Family Truckster.

#987 2 years ago

#988 2 years ago

My question on the topic of standing behind a product and being new to the hobbie is should a pinball mod be made to withstand being hit with a pinball?

#990 2 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Removing transformers from pinball machines

Removing transformers from machines is a goal of mine. I hate those frigging things . There are so many reliable switching power supplies out there these days. Linear supplies are horribly inefficient and they've become quite expensive anymore seeing that transformers for many pins are becoming unobtanium.

Of course, I have the exact OPPOSITE opinion when it comes to audio amps ... but that's a totally different subject .

#991 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

My question on the topic of standing behind a product and being new to the hobbie is should a pinball mod be made to withstand being hit with a pinball?

Yes or no.

#992 2 years ago
Quoted from megadeth2600:

Removing transformers from machines is a goal of mine. I hate those frigging things . There are so many reliable switching power supplies out there these days. Linear supplies are horribly inefficient and they've become quite expensive anymore seeing that transformers for many pins are becoming unobtanium.
Of course, I have the exact OPPOSITE opinion when it comes to audio amps ... but that's a totally different subject .

The only good reason to replace a transformer with a switcher is if there are problems with the transformer, which is rare. Yes a switcher is more efficient, but do you really care if you save a few cents a year? I would consider it a downgrade actually to replace the transformer with a switcher. Only do it if absolutely necessary.

#993 2 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

The only good reason to replace a transformer with a switcher is if there are problems with the transformer, which is rare. Yes a switcher is more efficient, but do you really care if you save a few cents a year? I would consider it a downgrade actually to replace the transformer with a switcher. Only do it if absolutely necessary.

I'm not sure how we got on this topic but I agree completely, it may be slightly less effecient but how often does a transformer in a pinball machine actually fail?? K.I.S.S.

#994 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I'm not sure how we got on this topic but I agree completely, it may be slightly less effecient but how often does a transformer in a pinball machine actually fail?? K.I.S.S.

Someone else already mentioned and I'll repeat: transforming AC voltages isn't the issue, it's all the linear DC power supplies converting that transformed AC that tend to fail. A switcher handles those beautifully by comparison. Show me any WPC driver board that has all original components... IF you find one it'll be in a NIB or never-played machine.

#995 2 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Someone else already mentioned and I'll repeat: transforming AC voltages isn't the issue, it's all the linear DC power supplies converting that transformed AC that tend to fail. A switcher handles those beautifully by comparison. Show me any WPC driver board that has all original components... IF you find one it'll be in a NIB or never-played machine.

Fair enough, but those WPC games are all very old at this point. All the modern switching power supplies are going to have caps, many of them shitty ones and active components that going to fail and probably at the same or worse age-points as the linear stuff. I have receivers and amplifiers that are older than most of my WPC machines and the linear supplies in them have held up beautifully, they weren't on for 15+ hours a day for years and years like a routed pinball machine but in home use I'm not worried about it. However I've had to repair switching supplies in two appliances and three flat-panel TVs in my house in the last year and they are all 10 years old or less. The original point is probably not about actually replacing a transformer in an existing design as I interpreted it when I read the post I responded to though.

Now, back to the shitty warranty and not replacing things outside of it!

#996 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Fair enough, but those WPC games are all very old at this point. All the modern switching power supplies are going to have caps, many of them shitty ones and active components that going to fail and probably at the same or worse age-points as the linear stuff. I have receivers and amplifiers that are older than most of my WPC machines and the linear supplies in them have held up beautifully, they weren't on for 15+ hours a day for years and years like a routed pinball machine but in home use I'm not worried about it. However I've had to repair switching supplies in two appliances and three flat-panel TVs in my house in the last year and they are all 10 years old or less. The original point is probably not about actually replacing a transformer in an existing design as I interpreted it when I read the post I responded to though.
Now, back to the shitty warranty and not replacing things outside of it!

Yeah, the power supplies in Sterns are cheap Chinese units that can be swapped out for forty bucks. The caps will be garbage as will be everything else inside. Just more throw away culture to meet the bottom line.

#997 2 years ago

My TOM WH20 and MB have all original boards including driver board and have never been rebuild. Stop over...I'll be happy to show ya!

Edit to add my Shadow and HS2 are all original as well

Quoted from metallik:

#998 2 years ago

I have had my B/W games for well over a decade and have never done any board work on them beyond header pin replacement. I got most of them fresh off of route too. I have replaced the switching power supply in just about every vid I've owned in that time. Just my experience.

#999 2 years ago

How is your case going with the notorious deception known as JJP, @fattdirk? As well as your case @kkoss24? Nice lame duck move on JJPs part. We are all discussing their terrible quality products, their radio silence, lack of warranty, poor manufacturing, and lame IPs, so they recruit a (washed up) well known designer to get us discussing SR instead of being focused on the crap JJP puts out as $10K+ products. Nice smoke and mirrors JJP! Got to hand it to you JJP, you’re tops at least at deception. Still hoping they fix all your problems for the 2 of you and many others!

#1000 2 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Sterns are cheap Chinese units that can be swapped out for forty bucks.

Actually they are pretty decent Chinese power supplies with loud fans that can be changed out for around $100+.

https://www.amazon.com/MEAN-WELL-RSP-500-48-Encapsulated-Converter/dp/B00YJVSTT0

And yes, no one ever said transformers are not reliable. If they did, they were wrong.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple
Protection
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
€ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
Protection
$ 49.99
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
8,249 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Temple, TX
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
$ 40.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Odessa, FL
Electronics
Skillshot Combo
Electronics
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
There are 1,518 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 31.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avoid-jjp-they-do-not-stand-behind-their-products/page/20?hl=bendit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.