Screen Shot 2023-11-14 at 8.12.44 AM (resized).png
IMG_7783 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_2741 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2622 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2493 (resized).jpeg
There are 246 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 6 years ago

Hey everybody,

I purchased a set of plastics for my Stern Meteor on Ebay for a seller with the username of, "classicarcades". The color of the set was not even close to the original, so I sent them back the next day after receiving them.

Order was placed on Jan 10, 2018 I still have not received a refund from the seller and am having to get Ebay involved. He claims to offer 14 day returns, but he will not respond to emails that I have sent. I would not recommend this seller to anyone. Just a heads up.

ebay.com link: STERN Meteor 10 Piece Pinball Machine PLASTIC SET Brand New 6 COLOR Screen Print

New on left old on right  (resized).jpgNew on left old on right (resized).jpg

New Mounted  (resized).jpgNew Mounted (resized).jpg

Old mounted  (resized).jpgOld mounted (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Huh. I ordered several times from Classic Arcades, never had a problem.

#3 6 years ago

Looks pretty clear to me, from the picture on the auction, you saw what you were going to get. Unless my eyes are very bad today(possible), you probably should have inquired before buying, or just passed. The sling you got looks exactly like the sling in the auction picture.

#4 6 years ago

You say order placed on 1/10/18, so you probably received the plastics 3 or 4 days later, got them back in the mail a day after that. That equates to being in the mail on about the 16th, and 3 days back to seller(19th), today is the 30th. He will probably refund your $, but frankly, you got what is pictured in the auction, and do not merit a refund.

#5 6 years ago

Auction pic.

s-l1600 (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpg

#6 6 years ago

Well I guess my point is, he offer a 14 day refund in the ad, Money back or item exchange (buyer's choice) and he does not respond at all to anything.

If he offers that he should at least honor what he offers if you are unhappy.

#7 6 years ago

I'm not sure what your point is of the auction pic. If you look at the one he sent me the color isn't close. The auction pic could have been a original set .

I looked at that same pic in the listing and figured that the colors match, in the picture it looks like it does, when in reality they don't.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from timab2000:

I'm not sure what your point is of the auction pic. If you look at the one he sent me the color isn't close. The auction pic could have been a original set .

Absolutely, the colors are washed out. EBay will step in if he doesn't refund.

#9 6 years ago

Just throw some unnecessary pink and purple LEDs under the plastics and you'll never notice the color difference!

In all seriousness, eBay ALWAYS sides with the buyer. As a long time seller, I know.

#10 6 years ago

Yea.. I've bought stuff from this vendor before, I think. Never had an issue, but these plastics aren't right. They should refund.

#11 6 years ago

A while back I bought a set of BK2K sling plastics from him listed as NOS. Yellow was as far off as your orange is. Clearly not original in any way. Got a refund after listening to some excuses.

I wish Planetary Pinball would list the source of their items so we could make wise buying decisions.

#12 6 years ago

They have a reputation for poor communication and shit QC. I had an experience with piss poor Diner inserts in the past. Good luck.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from timab2000:

I'm not sure what your point is of the auction pic. If you look at the one he sent me the color isn't close. .

I'm not sure, could be my eyes. To me, the top one looks slightly more purple than the middle one, but that could be because of the GI lighting.

42824d19b1304be1137434ef9e1be53e687c76e2 (resized).jpg42824d19b1304be1137434ef9e1be53e687c76e2 (resized).jpg

#14 6 years ago

During the past decade that I've been involved in this whole "pinball hobby", I've noticed that most pinball part manufacturers who deal in any reproduction parts or decals with art on them, are apparently color blind.

#15 6 years ago

Always good to check Pinside first for reviews:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#16 6 years ago

Wow! Lot's of disappointed people. I did not know about this site until after I had made the purchase, but now I know.

I actually found some original replacements from a member on this site, which is cool that everyone here helps each other out like he did with me. I guess I maybe need to be more patient on the refund. But I agree...I should have done looking around before making the purchase. Dumb on my part.

#17 6 years ago

This is common with all of Classicarcades stuff......quality is bad! If you search on classicarcade (too late Atari Daze provided) the one thing you will find is complaints as to the products he sells. Appears he isn't concerned over the quality just the quantity in which he produces!

I wouldn't wait on him to respond .... open a dispute with ebay as you want to make sure you handle this within the 30 days as opposed to waiting!

#18 6 years ago

Update....got my money refunded about an hour ago. His ears must have been burning.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from timab2000:

Update....got my money refunded about an hour ago. His ears must have been burning.

best to edit your first post saying this.

#20 6 years ago

Sorry, but you get what you pay for.
Buy cheap get cheap!

I made several purchases from them, with no complaints what so ever.

#21 6 years ago

Glad this one ended well!

#22 6 years ago

My BSD slings I just ordered from them aren't even close to the orginals either. Ill get pics in a bit

#23 6 years ago

QC has always been all over the map with these guys, going back 15 years. Last resort vendor for me.

He's not a crook though.

#24 6 years ago

The typefaces used on his apron stickers/decals are usually way off as compared to original artwork

Jody

#25 6 years ago

Yeah, their shit's no good.

They post a picture of a repro backglass on e-bay and send you one with the colors all washed out that looks nothing like it.

#26 6 years ago

Jeff McAffee has been making sh*t product since Day-1-RGP-Pre-Pinside-Days.

#27 6 years ago

I’ve done 2 xenon overlays from classic arcades. Very happy with the quality!
My only gripe is I wish another layer of white was added so I don’t have to paint the entire area under the overlay white first.
I’ve also done a couple Flash Gordon’s from him with similar results.
ce7ca12a7428e3bdd89af5f6849a601da6c30261.jpeg (resized).jpgce7ca12a7428e3bdd89af5f6849a601da6c30261.jpeg (resized).jpg
As for customer support, I think he’s does a decent job.
Can’t speak to the quality of all his products. Except I know his apron decals suck

As for the meteor plastics. Aren’t these just being resold by classic arcades? Pinball Rescue recently released plastic sets for Meteor.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

As for the meteor plastics. Aren’t these just being resold by classic arcades?

They claim to be ordered by him and made in the USA. But hey is also says this so um...yeah

"COLORS ARE MUCH BRIGHTER THAN ORIGINAL AND "POP" WHEN LIT UP!!!!!

THESE PLASTICS MAKE THE GAME LOOK LIKE A MILLION DOLLARS WHEN INTSALLED"

#29 6 years ago

I bought stuff from them before and never had an issue.

#30 6 years ago

Hi Everyone....Jeff has helped me dozens and dozens of times printing stuff no one else would be bothered with. He has done stuff at the last minute and shipped the next day. He made a Lethal Weapon plastic for me no one else had and was not in the set I had gotten, for instance. It looked perfect in my eyes...but I wasn't judging it if I was an art critic. It is JUST a pinball machine. With all the color led changes people are doing, plastics look different now because of how they are lit anyway...44 bulbs light a dull color---its funny how I thought new 44 incandescent bulbs looked great...a LED warm or Cool white look completely different under those plastics....and you can play with the other colors too...no one will ever notice any difference in the colors. You may have to wait until someone else decides to put these into production...but it may be a long wait. I find that most of these plastics for Meteor are fine and unbroken.
Jeff is NOT perfect...he is NOT and NEVER will be walking on water! He has made mistakes...but I have made a lot more than him I am sure. He has always corrected any issues I have had if he could. Sometimes colors can be a bit different, especially with color fading from the original stuff. No one else seems to want to print Meteor plastics. The cost of the plastic set was $125 with free shipping...eBay and pay-pal take almost 20% now...and shipping had to be $10 minimum. Its not a giant profit...as he gets just $90 for them, but I am sure he will take the plastic set back...if he has not already done so, and give you a full refund!

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from toddtuckey:

No one else seems to want to print Meteor plastics.

As posted in the OTHER Meteor Plastics thread about ClassicArcades, there's a very good, dead-on color repro set available here:
http://www.pinballrescue.net/Plastics_Meteor.html

1 week later
#32 6 years ago

I've known Jeff for many years. He works very hard to make a living in the virtually impossible field of pinball. He has done everything I've asked. I would suggest making relationships with people first and foremost. If at first you don't succeed try, try, and try again! So when you contact him, start off with "Hi Jeff, How are you buddy! Thanks for everything you do!" VS "hey stupid, your stuff looks like crap". With this approach, you will notice a big difference with Jeff and everyone else on the planet.

#33 6 years ago

Bought from him many times with no problems. Just did a KISS overlay and was very happy one insert was slightly off but you can tell. About to do a Evel Knievel overlay. Bought drop targets and apron decals also.

364589EE-76BE-4386-8B50-147FF4226FF7 (resized).jpeg364589EE-76BE-4386-8B50-147FF4226FF7 (resized).jpeg

105019C0-9959-442E-ABF3-2A678880CB0D (resized).jpeg105019C0-9959-442E-ABF3-2A678880CB0D (resized).jpeg

A552E6FE-170D-4D8C-A1B8-48EA478E41E9 (resized).jpegA552E6FE-170D-4D8C-A1B8-48EA478E41E9 (resized).jpeg

#34 6 years ago

I’ve bought many items from Jeff over the past 17 years. Bought just about everything from spinner decals to complete used games. Made the two hour drive to his house several times. Personally think he is a good guy but also very, very busy. As for his reproduction parts. It’s a hit or miss. Not sure if there are limitations with the printers he uses but many colors and fonts are off. Used his playfield overlays on Xenon, Gorgar and Flash Gordon. None were perfect but not too far off. If you’re just the average Joe Pinball hobbyists needing to replace a worn out part I would recommend. If you’re trying to do a high end restore or picky about the color matching I would try to find NOS.

#35 6 years ago

Don't confuse with Kevin at Classic Pinball

#36 6 years ago

It is unbelievable how prissy some pinheads can be. The dude makes unobtainable parts that noone else does and probably isn't getting rich off it. You might want to lower your expectations a bit or make them yourself if you want perfection. Don't forget manufactures were just churning out these games at the time and didn't really give AF about consistency of color. Check CPRs website - they have a good example of how wide the variances in colors are across the same title. Some people are just impossible to please.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

QC has always been all over the map with these guys, going back 15 years. Last resort vendor for me.
He's not a crook though.

Quoted from o-din:

Yeah, their shit's no good.
They post a picture of a repro backglass on e-bay and send you one with the colors all washed out that looks nothing like it.

Doesn't it make himself a crook?

#38 6 years ago

I bought the infamous Taxi drop target plastic from Jeff. It was a solid B+ repro. My only other option would have been to buy a full set from Planetary.

So while not perfect, I agree with the sentiment that Jeff is a service to the hobby and offers fair products at a fair price.

2 years later
#39 4 years ago

I wanted to chime in on this. I've had it with this seller. Kept giving him chances over the past decade here & there since prices were decent, but saving a few bucks isn't worth it when you can't use the junk he sells. Most recently, I purchased a drop target set for my bally fireball 2, & insert decals for bk2k. So I went & installed all the drops, after about 10 plays I was noticing white flakes on my playfield. There was a cheap coating on the drop targets that was already flaking off & the art on the drops was coming off as well. 10 plays with new balls! Next, I check out my bk2k insert decals. There was a thin white outline around all the black print, which just looked awful & unacceptable.

I hold out hope because he claims these products are officially licensed by bally/williams. How does he have this license? I thought maybe the same products from somewhere else might be all the same. So I ordered these 2 items from planetary pinball/baa. Just a few dollars more. This time the drops were clearly proper OEM quality. Not only that, I found that they were stiffer than the classicarcade ones. As for the insert decals, much better as well, no white outline. It is clear to me that this guy is doing things as cheap as he possibly can.
I also learned that just because something has the bally/williams license doesn't mean quality.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from robx46:

I wanted to chime in on this. I've had it with this seller. Kept giving him chances over the past decade here & there since prices were decent, but saving a few bucks isn't worth it when you can't use the junk he sells. Most recently, I purchased a drop target set for my bally fireball 2, & insert decals for bk2k. So I went & installed all the drops, after about 10 plays I was noticing white flakes on my playfield. There was a cheap coating on the drop targets that was already flaking off & the art on the drops was coming off as well. 10 plays with new balls! Next, I check out my bk2k insert decals. There was a thin white outline around all the black print, which just looked awful & unacceptable.
I hold out hope because he claims these products are officially licensed by bally/williams. How does he have this license? I thought maybe the same products from somewhere else might be all the same. So I ordered these 2 items from planetary pinball/baa. Just a few dollars more. This time the drops were clearly proper OEM quality. Not only that, I found that they were stiffer than the classicarcade ones. As for the insert decals, much better as well, no white outline. It is clear to me that this guy is doing things as cheap as he possibly can.
I also learned that just because something has the bally/williams license doesn't mean quality.

Yeah most likely the license claim for those is BS.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from robx46:

I also learned that just because something has the bally/williams license doesn't mean quality

Exactly, Rick isn't concerned with the quality of the products people put out only that they pay the license to do so, for which you can't blame him.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Exactly, Rick isn't concerned with the quality of the products people put out only that they pay the license to do so, for which you can't blame him.

If true, that's BS! Licensing your product should mean more than just collecting a royalty. A licensed product should be an assurance that the product is in every way equal to the original.
As far as ClassicArcades, I recently purchased a Diner plastic on ebay where the color of the plastic was pretty far off from the original. More orange than the original dayglow type red color. I complained and Jeff was very good about contacting me and sending a replacement. The replacement still did not match the original plastic very well, but it was a bit closer than the previous version. However, its way better than nothing, so I'm happy I got it. Its a bit annoying, but I'll take 90% vs zero!

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from sbmania:

If true, that's BS! Licensing your product should mean more than just collecting a royalty. A licensed product should be an assurance that the product is in every way equal to the original.
As far as ClassicArcades, I recently purchased a Diner plastic on ebay where the color of the plastic was pretty far off from the original. More orange than the original dayglow type red color. I complained and Jeff was very good about contacting me and sending a replacement. The replacement still did not match the original plastic very well, but it was a bit closer than the previous version. However, its way better than nothing, so I'm happy I got it. Its a bit annoying, but I'll take 90% vs zero!

We'll have to disagree then as to me someone, in this case Jeff, is paying Rick to make and sell parts for Bally machines. Jeff is paying said license to legally sell parts. If Rick were to be the quality controller for all those that license parts from him he would need a team of people to do that.

Good to hear Jeff tried to help you out.

I look at Classicarcades as the aftermarket autoparts of pinball. Yeah the aftermarket parts will work but, usually, they dont last as long or look as good as the OEM part.

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from sbmania:

A licensed product should be an assurance that the product is in every way equal to the ...

Not when people are happy with a 90% vs zero product

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Not when people are happy with a 90% vs zero product

Not necessarily "happy", but better than nothing right? Perfect can sometimes be the enemy of good.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Oh yes I can.

#47 4 years ago

Let us know how it works out for you!

1 year later
#48 2 years ago

bumping an old thread,
Just finished a month and a half long exchange with "JEFF" where he sent me 2 of the right sling and 0 lefts.

Messaged him about it, he said he'd mail me the right piece the next day, and didn't.

Then when I messaged him again, ebay started a refund automatically (2x messages regarding "wrong item received" must auto start a refund).

JEFF tells me its now my fault that things are screwed up and I need to cancel my refund, which would put me in a situation where I cant request another refund, on top of that I cant see a "cancel refund" option anywhere in my ebay account anyway.

Wait 3 weeks for the refund to expire, message Jeff, he once again tells me how everything is my fault.

I'm a busy guy but I made a special trip to the post office to return the slings this morning, hopefully ebay processes the refund even though its past the deadline now.

At this point, even if I lose my $$ and the 2x right slings, I'm happy that my table wont be using sling plastics from JEFF/classicarcades because the quality of the two right (riddle me this batman, what is 2 times right, and incorrect at the same time) slings he sent were awful, bad print quality and the light diffusion looks awful compared to OEMs.

0/10, F-minus, will not be doing business with classicarcades on ebay ever again.

#49 2 years ago
Quoted from bimm25i:

bumping an old thread,
Just finished a month and a half long exchange with "JEFF" where he sent me 2 of the right sling and 0 lefts.
Messaged him about it, he said he'd mail me the right piece the next day, and didn't.
Then when I messaged him again, ebay started a refund automatically (2x messages regarding "wrong item received" must auto start a refund).
JEFF tells me its now my fault that things are screwed up and I need to cancel my refund, which would put me in a situation where I cant request another refund, on top of that I cant see a "cancel refund" option anywhere in my ebay account anyway.
Wait 3 weeks for the refund to expire, message Jeff, he once again tells me how everything is my fault.
I'm a busy guy but I made a special trip to the post office to return the slings this morning, hopefully ebay processes the refund even though its past the deadline now.
At this point, even if I lose my $$ and the 2x right slings, I'm happy that my table wont be using sling plastics from JEFF/classicarcades because the quality of the two right (riddle me this batman, what is 2 times right, and incorrect at the same time) slings he sent were awful, bad print quality and the light diffusion looks awful compared to OEMs.
0/10, F-minus, will not be doing business with classicarcades on ebay ever again.

I’m sorry to hear about your experience.
Unfortunately, 80-90% of these “pinball businesses” are some putz with zero business skills operating out of their mom’s basement.

5 months later
#50 2 years ago

I also had a bad experience with classicarcades, but luckily I got a refund. I collect original backglasses and translites for the art, I avoid reproductions. I had been looking for a 1981 Iron Maiden backless set for years. He had the outer glass advertised on eBay as an original. I read and re-read the description and nowhere did the ad indicate it was a reproduction, but it definitely indicated it was an original in great condition. After receiving the product it was a poor blurry reproduction on plexiglass. There was no way I was going to hang that junk in my game room. I took pictures and filed a complaint with eBay. It was a slam dunk getting my money back. The product was so bad eBay had no doubt he misrepresented his product. No big loss on my part, but frustrated to buy crap repro’s that you think are originals. That was a couple years ago. Fast forward to today, I’m restoring a BK2K and need the cabinet decals and he’s the only one selling the decals licensed under planetary pinball. I’d like to get the licensed decals in hopes they would be the best product out there. I’m not even sure he’s selling the licensed decals, that could be total B.S. also. Everyone else is sold out of them, I’ve looked everywhere. I reluctantly attempt to purchase a set from him, but he has blocked me as a buyer. Funny that he blocked me from purchasing from him because I called out his scam. Buyer beware classicarcades might be the only one that has your part, but the part you get might not be the quality you want. Oh yea I almost forgot, his ad said free returns and initially when he refunded me the money he charged me for the return shipping. That pissed me off also, I re-requested a full refund and got it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 10.00
$ 169.00
Machine - For Sale
Kettering, OH
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 246 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avoid-ebay-seller-classicarcades and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.