Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by Tuukka
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230508_133228 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pin_Guy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 7 years ago

I just use lithium batteries and install them in the normal battery holder. I'm certain someone is going to mention NVRAM being far superior, and in most cases it really is; but for me, I don't like it when my date and time are off, yes I know its trivial but the only way for these games to keep time when turned off is by having batteries installed

3 years later
    #19 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I just use lithium batteries and install them in the normal battery holder. I'm certain someone is going to mention NVRAM being far superior, and in most cases it really is; but for me, I don't like it when my date and time are off, yes I know its trivial but the only way for these games to keep time when turned off is by having batteries installed

I am still using the same AA lithium batteries in my machine as I was when I made this post ... I'll let you know when they stop working.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pablito350:

You've been looking forward to posting that for 3 years. Haven't you?

you betcha, and God willing I'll post it again in 3 more

1 year later
    #22 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pablito350:

still going strong ...

2 years later
    #24 11 months ago
    Quoted from Pablito350:

Quoted from Pin_Guy:

you betcha, and God willing I'll post it again in 3 more

It's been another 2 years since my last post and 3 years since the above quote so time for an update. I'm happy to report that the original three Energizer lithium batteries I installed in my STTNG in 2015 are still in the machine and going strong holding settings and scores; additionally, none of the lithium batteries in any device I own (which is every device that takes 9v, AA, or AAA batteries).

My STTNG is turned only turned on a dozen times a year or so at most these days and these batteries continue to hold up; the date is wildly inaccurate, but the time holds within an acceptable range. I assume the ASIC that controls both date and time was not designed to update the date when the machine is off for months at a time.

I don't anticipate these batteries lasting another 3 years which will put them at 10 years+ ... but who knows. I do plan to update this thread when I turn on the machine and get the dreaded Reset to Factory Defaults message.

#27 11 months ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

These were used in Gottlieb System 3's. I have sold a lot of Dallas Semiconductor (Maxim IC) 1210s to replace parts that were destroyed by lithium battery corrosion.

As a board repair person you are going to see an abnormally large percentage of these issues, especially if the boards were in a storage building with no climate control for a decade or more. The boards you are referring to are 30 years old and if you leave a coin cell battery in a device for 15 years after it already lost power I would not be surprised that it leaked; personally, have never seen one leak and I'm willing to keep AA Energizers in my own CPUs until they actually fail to hold the memory.

One question for you G-P-E ... How many AA Energizer Lithiums have you seen leak?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pin_Guy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avoid-battery-leakage?tu=Pin_Guy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.