(Topic ID: 328133)

Pinside, community build in the spirit of the original Norris 3 spinner design.

By vdojaq

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 417 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by vdojaq
  • Topic is favorited by 50 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4e3afcf779d9a7ef3bba8451dc5e4dfc--waves-funny-friendship (resized).jpg
    images (resized).jpg
    3spinners.gif
    your-fired-trump-meme (resized).jpg
    321306880_5325447310893816_8383416183673696242_n.jpg
    3XCP.gif
    image (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20221226-103746 (resized).png
    20221226_112002 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    AA37C45F-A8A3-4190-BA2C-7CE89BF298A1 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20221225-213055 (resized).png
    Screenshot 2022-12-25 at 12.53.51 PM (resized).png
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Beechwood.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#6 1 year ago

There is no hurry. We know it takes time. GWJ was the one who self imposed unrealistic timelines. We told him literally hundreds of times to quit saying he could build a complete pin in 6 months. We don't harp on him for not making progress, we harp on him for not making progress whilst sticking with his 6 month timeline.

There is no pressure. It's is to be enjoyed as a fun project in a fun hobby. Realistically, 6 months for a whitewood is average, maybe longer.

Enjoy the ride Avi

#85 1 year ago

For the love of God, Avi, just remember one thing. Do NOT set firm timelines. Just try to keep moving forward and see what happens. No one, even those who may contribute parts or cash will ridicule your progress as long as you are making efforts.

Building a machine is very difficult, especially for a newbie. You will be just fine if you do the following:

1. Don't rush, (that's when most mistakes happen that can set you back.)
    2. plan effectively
    3. Heed the advice from experts and people in the know.

Merry Christmas.

#122 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Again I did not ask for the thread to be closed or did I complain to anyone. Guess I will continue on or not. Avi can update people here that are curious, or not. Thanks Aaron for coming clean, no hard feelings!

As I was trying to do an update summary on the trailer trash build thread I found myself in a strange place. There was the normal lack of progress on the build, but the everyday stuff that I always tried to put a humorous spin on.... I couldn't. It was just reruns of the same things and it was more sad than fun. When ice announced he pulled the plug on funding and things got personal and ugly, I requested, as the OP that the thread be closed.

Hopefully this thread can be a positive place of our community sharing in a build.

Cheers!

#127 1 year ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

uld love to see an updated needs* list from Beechwood with parts/pieces needed.

I believe TreyBo69 is the person to ask. He has the plans and a count of all the mechs necessary.

#137 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

Avi if a GoFundMe is not your style then can we perhaps do something like wedding gift registry. That is there is a list of parts that are needed and we buy that part on your behalf ? The bottom line is if you have $60 to your name as you said it’s gonna be hard to buy all the parts for this yourself. All of us that have followed this along are willing to help out. We made the same offer to John but he was having none of it. I’m willing to help out as I was before John found his mini whale and went with that. Even with less skill than John, I see more perseverance here and thus

I like this idea and it was offered to GWJ months ago. There is a master list and those interested, such as myself, purchase something towards the build. For example, I see you need three spinners and no one has bought them yet. So I pay for them. Lots of pinsiders are ready to help. Before you know it, everything you need is paid for but no one person spent very much and therefore it is low pressure. Consider it as encouragement and not charity.

#143 1 year ago

I'm just a simple man, but my vote is keep this build completely separate. Not even a coil should be used in this build from the other, therefore keeping this build pure.

The same thinking goes into letting the DR saga die without trying to finish that which should never have been attempted.

#155 1 year ago

Please, stick with the original three spinner design. Keep it true as much as is practical. Let's keep this simple and fun. It looks like a great layout.

#163 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

So you have no money, and no experience, and you're going to spend potentially the next 2+ years of your life working on a project that will rely on a steady stream of donations to be able to progress at every step of the way, and you don't actually understand how to do any of the steps yet.
    All so if you actually manage to finish you won't even own the design that all that effort went into.
    I don't believe you, or anyone egging you on, actually understands how much work is involved in making a complete pinball, and how many specialized skills it takes. And how much it costs. If you don't hire out a single aspect, and don't value your own time at all, expect to still spend $6-10k USD.
    Scott Danesi sold a bunch of his pins to finance Total Nuclear Annihilation. And he can program, do CAD, and electrical and mechanical engineering, wrote all his own music and did all the sound design so he didn't have to pay anyone for those things. It still took him two years to have the game people bought and he said he practically killed himself to do it.
    Seriously think about if this is what you want to embark on, and something you want to feel you have to commit to as people potentially send you thousands and thousands of dollars, either in cash outright or parts they expect you to use.
    All so you can make a game that's someone else's design that they intend to sell.

He lives at home, has no official employment, is smart and has plenty of time on his hands. He is just now breaking out off his shell, so yes. This project is great for him. With help from the community he can do this. It will take a LOT of his time. But leaning on us for coding, cnc, advice etc it is possible.

#206 1 year ago

Well Avi, if you truly don't want to pursue this build, I would be willing to step up and make this happen. If Ben is willing to CNC the white wood and get it to me (I'll pay for it) I would feel privileged to see this to completion.

I would hate to see this project go unfinished.

But unlike John, I would have a realistic timeline of something like Expo '24 at the earliest.

Input anyone?

Edit: this would still be a community build

#227 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

I'm still willing to CNC it if somebody pays for the wood and shipping it to whoever. I don't have the spare time to help beyond that though.

I would be willing to pay for the wood, and shipping. I'm not terribly far from you.

I have a friend who does custom furniture and could easily make the cabinet.

I can assemble the play field, albeit slowly.

I could NOT do programming. No art.

Expo '23 is not realistic. That's just asking for a half baked half coded machine. This design deserves better.

And yes, Kim, only with Jon Norris' blessing.

#229 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Jesus, I find this rude behaviour. Jon Norris should have been consulted first and then plans could have been developed.
    The way it is now, you guys have raced ahead and publicly put the man on the spot.

It's only a plan on a napkin. Nothing happens yet.

We can't help it, we are planners!

#250 1 year ago
    Quoted from Octomodz:

What blows my mind is there are so many good homebrew builds, with better themes and quality; that get only a fraction of praise and comments and encouragement. All these people who have followed, posted, and pretended to care about pinball or John/Avis build are full of crap. Most wanted to just join the drama.
    This is in no way I’m disrespect to Avi, who seems like a good person. It just is very frustrating!

This is very true. However, most of the builds, while impressive, have very little entertainment value included.

Maybe a community build that involves many members working towards a common goal that can eventually be showcased at Expo and TPF could be interesting, informative, satisfying and dare I say fun? Maybe, maybe not but it's worth a shot. It is just a hobby after all.

#259 1 year ago
    Quoted from dscapo:

I believe this thread has lost its purpose

Pizza for lunch, washed down with a coke. Hard crust pieces thrown out back for the three legged raccoon to snack on. Beer count 0.

Better??

#330 1 year ago

Well, in half a day we had Ben offering to CNC the wood if I paid for it with shipping from Wisconsin to Michigan. I have my friend lined up to build the cabinet. More progress in 6 hours than others in 6 months.

But this was all dependant on Jon Norris'blessing, which has not yet been given. Still awaiting a response.

Avi, if you have any shot of building this, you will need resources. Not accepting funds for the build will make it extremely difficult to accomplish. You may want to rethink that.

Either way, if Norris is cool with a community build, I would love to do my part on assembly and getting it off the ground. Riefepeters you are only 15 minutes from me. We could tackle the white wood together, with help from any other locals as well

Again, just ideas at this point until Norris chimes in.

#334 1 year ago
    Quoted from AviRoo:

Maybe after the playfield is shipped i'll rethink my decision but i'll be honest. i don't want to be harassed about my decision to not accept donations. It's already stressful enough going from having john being supportive and saying he'll help and guide me along to saying he wants absolutely nothing to do with it. You know how badly that makes me feel? I just want the shit to end.

Not harassing, just giving advice. Take it or leave it, no stress

#350 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Well the thread was shut down & not by me. So you can endure my beer count today. I have offered free space at the workshop for Avi, but feel free to tell him to take his community build home to his bedroom or garage.

John, I started that thread and I also shut it down which I have publicly posted, so please stop telling others you didn't shut it down. We are aware.

John, the reason I had the thread locked is because you had already missed 3 deadlines, Iceman was pulling funding, and he told a 19 year old kid to fuck off. It was ugly and there was no longer any shred of positivity there.

This is not the place for your personal check ins.

Start your own thread. Click the box that reads "start a new thread" and you can post all day long whatever you want.

#364 1 year ago

On a lighter note, I just saved 15% on my car insurance...

#365 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Ha ha, I heard you loud and clear my friend.
    Beech, you and I go back a long ways and it's ok if we disagree, right? I don't have any hard feeling towards you or anyone else I recently down-voted or spoke out against. We just see things differently on this issue is all. Shit happens.
    And BTW, I'm hoping Jon Norris gives you the go ahead. - In fact, I'll want to play your version of the game along with TreyBo69's version and Avi's.
    Giddy-up

No worries. I am simply amazed how quickly these threads can devolve into lunacy!

"Hey, it's only pinball"

#368 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I'm hoping Jon Norris gives you the go ahead. - In fact, I'll want to play your version of the game along with TreyBo69's version and Avi's.
    Giddy-up

To be fair, it won't be my version, it would be Jons. True to the original design with only modifications that may be necessary due to geometry or space requirements of mechs etc. And it would be a true community build that many can put their talents into.

That being said, Treybo's pin will have a different take on it, and I think that's great. That dude is a walking brainstorm of amazing ideas.

My only hope is this thread can rise up to a more positive place. Pinball is hard, but it is also fun!

#371 1 year ago
    Quoted from miracleman:

Question.
    Can't everyone just use the 'ignore' feature to not have to see any of John's or Ice's or MY or whoever's posts again?
    Isn't that the best solution?
    As it is we're 8 pages into a thread that's circled back to the beginning.
    It's obvious John only came here to poison it further.
    Or can a thread OP block problem people from posting in that thread?

Only moderators can ban people from threads.

But yes, the ignore feature is too often ignored on pinside.

#378 1 year ago
    Quoted from chris_p:

You gonna go with the original 7 drop target bank?
    #3144 greatwichjohn
    Changes were already done by Jon with the original 7 drop target bank being changed to a 5 & 4 fixed targets behind for Cash & Money per my request on Trailer Trash pin.

Good point and it is noted.

#394 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Hopefully someone brings Jon’s layout to life, and doesn’t change it. It’s a fantastic layout. Not sure why none of the manufacturers don’t have him on the payroll.

That is the plan being implemented by some of us. It will be a community effort. Maybe a first in pinside history.

#402 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So wait, the trailer trash game never got made?!
    Shocking!

It's been made. But stern is pushing it's release into 2023 or possibly 2024 so they can upcharge $1,500 -$2,500.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Beechwood.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aviroo-the-apprentice-build-of-the-original-norris-3-spinner-design?tu=Beechwood and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.