(Topic ID: 328133)

Pinside, community build in the spirit of the original Norris 3 spinner design.

By vdojaq

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 417 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by vdojaq
  • Topic is favorited by 50 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4e3afcf779d9a7ef3bba8451dc5e4dfc--waves-funny-friendship (resized).jpg
    images (resized).jpg
    3spinners.gif
    your-fired-trump-meme (resized).jpg
    321306880_5325447310893816_8383416183673696242_n.jpg
    3XCP.gif
    image (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20221226-103746 (resized).png
    20221226_112002 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    AA37C45F-A8A3-4190-BA2C-7CE89BF298A1 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20221225-213055 (resized).png
    Screenshot 2022-12-25 at 12.53.51 PM (resized).png
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 417 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 9.
    #101 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Avi something you can get in the interim is a bunch of 6-32 T-nuts, I assume Canada sells imperial stuff?
    I think I have some extras wood rails too, I can try and ship those as a big flat pack.

Merry X-mas Ben & everyone , these came off of a System One Sinbad and Joker poker... Think they will work for what Avi is doing?
    Rails (resized).jpgRails (resized).jpg

#102 1 year ago

Cheapest place I found for t-nuts was boltdepot.com

#103 1 year ago

uld love to see an updated needs* list from Beechwood with parts/pieces needed.

From what I understand, he already has the whitewood design, CNC, ball guides, and....?

#104 1 year ago

Also, could someone start a GoFundMe or AviRoo post your Venmo for donations?

#105 1 year ago

Avi the PDF will tell you how many you need. Jon put one under almost every post. It's a circle with 3 "teeth" along the edges.

Surely you've seen these under B/W games? There will be a slight pocket in the wood that the t-nut countersinks into, then you bash it with a hammer (so obviously this is step 1)

#106 1 year ago
    Quoted from AviRoo:

noted. If you get me a rough estimate about how many i need. i'll look into ordering them!

Someone can count them up on the playfield design, then order plus 10 to have extras on hand.

#107 1 year ago

Speaking of T-nuts how do suppose Norris intended the playfield mount bracket to attach? T-nuts on the top of PF, with bolts coming from the bottom?

#108 1 year ago

As someone who started building off the original PDF, it does need some tweaks and I wouldn’t read too much into certain pilot spots for certain mechs. Also keep in mind Avi will probably use DE style pops and not WMS style jets. Different cut for the CNC.

#109 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Avi the PDF will tell you how many you need. Jon put one under almost every post. It's a circle with 3 "teeth" along the edges.
    Surely you've seen these under B/W games? There will be a slight pocket in the wood that the t-nut countersinks into, then you bash it with a hammer (so obviously this is step 1)

Will look at the PDF. Thank you. and honestly no i don't believe I've ever seen them before. but that could be on account to me not actually looking for them. I might be able to purchase them locally at a place called richelieu and if not then i'll order them on amazon. I'll be back in a bit i have to go out on a service call for a pinball machine

#110 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

As someone who started building off the original PDF, it does need some tweaks and I wouldn’t read too much into certain pilot spots for certain mechs. Also keep in mind Avi will probably use DE style pops and not WMS style jets. Different cut for the CNC.

Whatever is on the whitewood i'll make it work. I honestly do not know the different between them in the slightest.

#111 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Eh, the design is B/W jets and DE pops take a much larger footprint under the PF.

Let's not repeat the (many) mistakes of GWJ and go away from the professional's design.

Doing some cleanup today (I avoid my family on holidays) joining lines etc. Maybe we could do a Discord meeting this week just to make sure I'm on the same page with what Jon intended? For instance I'm not sure what kind of cabinet/PF mounting was intended.

#112 1 year ago

Just an example of don’t read too much into pilot holes

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#113 1 year ago

Hm. Wonder what kind of flipper Jon was using?

Ill drill them anyway but yeah. Good catch.

#114 1 year ago

I counted 42 of those t-nuts but i'll order a bunch of extra's just in case. If they have the right sized ones in stock at richelieu i'll be able to get them discounted due to the business my father works with, thank god. And seriously. Thank all of you for putting the work that you guys are doing into it. I can't fathom why but it's really really awesome to be welcomed into the community like this.

#115 1 year ago

Might be better to just do the pilot holes as shallow dimples. If they might up, can be drilled deeper. If they're just enough off though, you don't want the wrong hole interfering with the new one

#116 1 year ago

I'll do them as 3/16 deep my 1/16th bit only goes 1/4 max anyway.

It seems most of the T nuts don't have countersinks. A few do. Thoughts? Sink them all or not? Would help avi locate them easier, else it's just a 3/16 hole that could be mistaken for 1/8

#117 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

It seems most of the T nuts don't have countersinks. A few do. Thoughts? Sink them all or not? Would help avi locate them easier, else it's just a 3/16 hole that could be mistaken for 1/8

Do any? I don't see them in your bottom side pic... Seems like some manufacturers only did it when there were clearance issues

#118 1 year ago

Again I did not ask for the thread to be closed or did I complain to anyone. Guess I will continue on or not. Avi can update people here that are curious, or not. Thanks Aaron for coming clean, no hard feelings!

#119 1 year ago
    Quoted from greatwichjohn:

Again I did not ask for the thread to be closed or did I complain to anyone. Guess I will continue on or not. Avi can update people here that are curious, or not. Thanks Aaron for coming clean, no hard feelings!

Oh geez, I just came back to see the thread was closed. I'm sorry john.

#120 1 year ago

You needed all the time you could get. We didn't have product available and you needed it asap.

Best of luck in your run up to Texas!

Merry Christmas!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#121 1 year ago
    Quoted from AviRoo:

Oh geez, I just came back to see the thread was closed. I'm sorry john.

It's no surprise with people basically telling each other openly to F off!
    I wish you the best on the project but please spare us from pix of expired meat products!

#122 1 year ago

As I was trying to do an update summary on the trailer trash build thread I found myself in a strange place. There was the normal lack of progress on the build, but the everyday stuff that I always tried to put a humorous spin on.... I couldn't. It was just reruns of the same things and it was more sad than fun. When ice announced he pulled the plug on funding and things got personal and ugly, I requested, as the OP that the thread be closed.

Hopefully this thread can be a positive place of our community sharing in a build.

Cheers!

#123 1 year ago

John, let things settle for a few days and I am sure we can start a new 'Continued Adventures of GWJ and his Whitewood Build' after the new year. Everything has to die down first.

Until then, this is Avi's thread, and I would like to keep it that way.

#124 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinbub:

It's no surprise with people basically telling each other openly to F off!
    I wish you the best on the project but please spare us from pix of expired meat products!

I cannot control John nor do i intend to gatekeep him from that. but for me it'll be business as usual. I probably won't post any musical or 'attempted' humorous videos anymore since the consensus was the last one wasn't funny. and i do actually feel shitty for it now despite John not really giving two hoots. But do expect pictures and questions. a lot of dumb questions.

#125 1 year ago
    Quoted from AviRoo:

I cannot control John nor do i intend to gatekeep him from that. but for me it'll be business as usual. I probably won't post any musical or 'attempted' humorous videos anymore since the consensus was the last one wasn't funny. and i do actually feel shitty for it now despite John not really giving two hoots. But do expect pictures and questions. a lot of dumb questions.

Just like I felt shitty for trying to be funny at your expense. That's why I pm'ed you an apology. We all stumble a little at times, since we can't unsay certain things all we can do is live and learn. You seem like a pretty level headed person and it's commendable when people can acknowledge the mistakes. I wish you all the best on your build. I'll be following the progress.

#126 1 year ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Do any? I don't see them in your bottom side pic... Seems like some manufacturers only did it when there were clearance issues

Jon has circles around most of the T-nuts but I believe the represent posts and/or rubber diameters.

The T nuts that go on the top and would be under the wood rails need to be countersunk of course!

#127 1 year ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

uld love to see an updated needs* list from Beechwood with parts/pieces needed.

I believe TreyBo69 is the person to ask. He has the plans and a count of all the mechs necessary.

#128 1 year ago

All I have is the original PDF and what I cobbled together after a few drinks with my parts stash.

#129 1 year ago

I think before this build starts, it should be discussed with the operator as he seemed to have issues with Avi. Having GWJ just say it’s ok because it will be done in his space is not good enough since John does not own the building! We know John retired from his regular job but in effect he is still working but for the operator now to earn his work space and the operator is his boss so he’s got to do what the guy wants or risk being booted out if I read the bread crumbs right.

#130 1 year ago

Not sure if it was mentioned somewhere but who is funding this new build? Too bad the relationship with Ice and Avi is on the rocks, as ice could recoup some of his investment and Avi could save on shipping.

#131 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pbpins:

I think before this build starts, it should be discussed with the operator as he seemed to have issues with Avi. Having GWJ just say it’s ok because it will be done in his space is not good enough since John does not own the building! We know John retired from his regular job but in effect he is still working but for the operator now to earn his work space and the operator is his boss so he’s got to do what the guy wants or risk being booted out if I read the bread crumbs right.

Actually if John was smart he would grow a pair because Mr. Operator has himself a golden goose and would probably do a lot to keep it that way.

#132 1 year ago
    Quoted from cliff_clavin:

Not sure if it was mentioned somewhere but who is funding this new build? Too bad the relationship with Ice and Avi is on the rocks, as ice could recoup some of his investment and Avi could save on shipping.

It appears to be a community effort. I am encouraging AVI to set up a GoFundMe.

I agree. I hope they can work it out. Both of them are solid guys that truly love pinball, and I know they want the best for the future of the hobby.

#133 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pbpins:

Op don’t care. Already was talking to him about it but I’ll talk to him again after the holidays to make sure. For now things are just going as discussed. *shrugs*

#134 1 year ago

Avi if a GoFundMe is not your style then can we perhaps do something like wedding gift registry. That is there is a list of parts that are needed and we buy that part on your behalf ? The bottom line is if you have $60 to your name as you said it’s gonna be hard to buy all the parts for this yourself. All of us that have followed this along are willing to help out. We made the same offer to John but he was having none of it. I’m willing to help out as I was before John found his mini whale and went with that. Even with less skill than John, I see more perseverance here and thus believe the money would be put to good use. I can only speak personally but I would expect ZERO in return for that other than seeing you at least try to bring this to life.

#135 1 year ago
    Quoted from AviRoo:

noted. If you get me a rough estimate about how many i need. i'll look into ordering them!

Jon Norris should've sent John a spreadsheet that lists all the parts needed, if there's any chance you're able to find that

#136 1 year ago

And John I hope you are willing to participate. I can understand if you want to just carry on with your whitewood and you should. We all accept you are just going to do things your way at your speed and everyone is just there to watch not advise. Perhaps with the other thread closed it might facilitate progress since it’s just between you and Ice now. With boots on the ground you can be of enormous help here to Avi or not

#137 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

Avi if a GoFundMe is not your style then can we perhaps do something like wedding gift registry. That is there is a list of parts that are needed and we buy that part on your behalf ? The bottom line is if you have $60 to your name as you said it’s gonna be hard to buy all the parts for this yourself. All of us that have followed this along are willing to help out. We made the same offer to John but he was having none of it. I’m willing to help out as I was before John found his mini whale and went with that. Even with less skill than John, I see more perseverance here and thus

I like this idea and it was offered to GWJ months ago. There is a master list and those interested, such as myself, purchase something towards the build. For example, I see you need three spinners and no one has bought them yet. So I pay for them. Lots of pinsiders are ready to help. Before you know it, everything you need is paid for but no one person spent very much and therefore it is low pressure. Consider it as encouragement and not charity.

#138 1 year ago

Too bad the relationship with Ice and Avi is on the rocks, as ice could recoup some of his investment

Recoup how?

It’s a classic sunk cost fallacy. Ice cut his losses and walked, which is the smartest thing anyone in this whole mess has done.

Ben’s CNCing a white wood out spite, which I respect, but nobody pushing Avi down a money and time pit he has no understanding of are actually doing him any favors.

#139 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Recoup how?
    It’s a classic sunk cost fallacy. Ice cut his losses and walked, which is the smartest thing anyone in this whole mess has done.
    Ben’s CNCing a white wood out spite, which I respect, but nobody pushing Avi down a money and time pit he has no understanding of are actually doing him any favors.

I have to agree with Aurich on this one. not being pressured to finish it within a specific timeframe is a huge load off my shoulder. I mean i wasn't even the one dealing with Ice at all and i was still stressed the hell out over his whitewood... And despite our curfuffle i'd still like to see John build and have it flipping. regardless of any dumb deadline. deadlines aren't my business.

Also a bunch of unnamed people said dealing with Ice is one of the worst decisions you can make. so i'm gonna take that advice and hide behind it.

#140 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

Avi if a GoFundMe is not your style then can we perhaps do something like wedding gift registry. That is there is a list of parts that are needed and we buy that part on your behalf ? The bottom line is if you have $60 to your name as you said it’s gonna be hard to buy all the parts for this yourself. All of us that have followed this along are willing to help out. We made the same offer to John but he was having none of it. I’m willing to help out as I was before John found his mini whale and went with that. Even with less skill than John, I see more perseverance here and thus believe the money would be put to good use. I can only speak personally but I would expect ZERO in return for that other than seeing you at least try to bring this to life.

I would not mind this idea particularly. Instead of giving me money to buy parts. it's easier just to buy said parts. that way everyone is on the same page with what it is going to be going onto the playfield. and i don't have to worry about handling anyone's money, but seriously spend within reason.

#141 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Recoup how?

I agree, I’m surprised Ice waited as long as he did. GWJ will not do anything further on the project. Why not sell the unused parts to Avi and remit the funds back to Ice? Win Win. Maybe Ice cuts his loss to 5k. If Ice wants nothing more to do with it, maybe sell parts to Avi and donate proceeds to Charity?

At the end of the day, GWJ pissed away 6k. He should man up and try to get some of it back to Ice.

#142 1 year ago

Possession is 9/10ths of the law.

#143 1 year ago

I'm just a simple man, but my vote is keep this build completely separate. Not even a coil should be used in this build from the other, therefore keeping this build pure.

The same thinking goes into letting the DR saga die without trying to finish that which should never have been attempted.

#144 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

I'll do them as 3/16 deep my 1/16th bit only goes 1/4 max anyway.

I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t sink them all and agree, it would help Avi.

#145 1 year ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Possession is 9/10ths of the law.

Alerting Robert Mueller now.

#146 1 year ago
    Quoted from AviRoo:

Also a bunch of unnamed people said dealing with Ice is one of the worst decisions you can make. so i'm gonna take that advice and hide behind it.

Screenshot 2022-12-25 at 12.53.51 PM (resized).pngScreenshot 2022-12-25 at 12.53.51 PM (resized).png

#147 1 year ago

I agree, I’m surprised Ice waited as long as he did. GWJ will not do anything further on the project. Why not sell the unused parts to Avi and remit the funds back to Ice? Win Win. Maybe Ice cuts his loss to 5k. If Ice wants nothing more to do with it, maybe sell parts to Avi and donate proceeds to Charity?
    At the end of the day, GWJ pissed away 6k. He should man up and try to get some of it back to Ice.

I will not be surprised if Ice hands this off to someone else to have a competing build. And he will likely sink any amount he can to get to a finish line before anything Avi does with a completed machine. It’s become personal. I do not believe he has walked away, just from GWJ. This was never about GWJ for Ice. it was always about Ice showing us all up. None of us give a damn about all that, but Ice for sure does.

#148 1 year ago

I'll let you guys pick before i respond back to Jon Norris. Essentially what he said in his reply to me is that he gives me permission to use his 3 spinner design if i choose to. but that Treybo is also creating a interpretation of it. I do not know the details on that but he's given me two options.

Option one is he'll send me the files to the 3 spinner design that we're going with now. And things will just continue on as they are..

Option two is, He'll send me a different design to use. that way you'll have a new one that hasn't been seen yet. you'll have the one John is making. and the one Treybo is messing around with.

The catch is I'm still only allowed to produce 1 playfield with either option i choose because Jon Norris is trying sell the design to a company. which i'm totally fine he put the work into designing them. it's only fair.

#149 1 year ago

Please don’t let me stop you from building it. I’m not doing the original designer either.

#150 1 year ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Please don’t stop me from you building it. I’m not doing the original designer either.

I'm just giving the boys a choice. is a community effort so it should be a community decision. We have till thursday till Ben Heck can CNC the wood (Thank you again) if the boys want to see something new and fresh for a newbie, that's all good. or if they want to stick with what they have. that's wicked too.

There are 417 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 9.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aviroo-the-apprentice-build-of-the-original-norris-3-spinner-design/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.