You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180527_073709 (resized).jpg
20170413_204550 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170401_150041255 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170401_150115311 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fatpanda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It sounds like that game is in "as found" condition and needs a thorough refurbishment. Asking "what it will cost" is tough - I personally wouldn't touch a job like that unless the game were brought to my shop and I could work on it in my own time; this does NOT sound like a game that can be completely shopped out/fixed in one 4 hour house call. I would guess I would end up charging around $600-1000 plus transportation costs. Others may charge less and do house calls, who knows. Fact is there's not a lot of "EM Techs" out there who are willing to work on others' games.
For many EMs, this is more than the game is "worth" so it's up to the customer. When it comes to EM games - or all pinball - you are really better off learning how to do some of this stuff yourself or it can get expensive and frustrating depending upon someone else. At the least, you'd probably be better off buying a game that already works, and fixing things as they break, than getting into the hobby by buying a complete basket case like this.

Gotta say Levi, you when you're not blasting other pinsiders, it's refreshing to see a well thought out, wholesome response. Are you ok?

#8 2 years ago

To the OP, if the game is cheap and you're up for it, (basic mechanical skills, knows how to use a screwdriver, can solder (or at least learn how to solder)), the price of parts on these games aren't that bad. Probably $200 in parts assuming you have to rebuild the major mechs (flippers, drop targets, pop bumpers and slings, etc.) plus new rubber and new random other parts. If you can put in some time everyday to learn something new everyday, in time you'll have the game cleaned, resetting properly and eventually playing properly. the process itself can be very rewarding. The playability of the game is a another kind of reward. Make sure it's not missing any parts. You'll have to acquire a schematic and learn how to read it, even if you can stumble your way through (like me).

if you buy it, and after a time, don't feel that you can get a grasp of getting an EM running, then you could just as easily sell it. I normally wouldn't recommend buying a project EM as a first pinball machine, but if it's cheap, then go for it. If you can get a working 1 player game, that is probably a bit easier to start off with, then you can ease into tweaking and repairs.

Pinside FWIW can be a very good place to learn everything you need to know about reviving and maintaining games. In that regard, you couldn't ask for a better community. We all gotta start somewhere.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from borna:

So this is a 2 player game. The woods are not bad but needs new paint and stencil.
the playing field is in a good shape. So with I know so far those are the things that are wrong with it electronically and mechanically, what would be a good fair price?

Without seeing it, it's impossible to place value on the game. In today's market, a nice working Surf Champ could go for 800-1.5K, I would guess (big range, i know). Good cabinet, nice backglass without flaking, and good playfield with little to no wear. Again, just would be my guess.

With several of the solenoids not working, it could be a number of things; likely a combination of things wrong with it. usually these could be fixed, so it really depends on the cosmetics.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from borna:

So this is te link to the machine I am interested. What do you think is a good price to pay?
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/116143

The ad says:
"this vintage machine is in full working order. There is some noticeable fading of paint on the wooden frame of the scoreboard that could be easily sanded and repainted. It has been garage kept and was serviced in 2020."

But you say:

Quoted from borna:

1. the flippers are not working
2. dropdown targets all of them in down position and are not resetting
3. side bumpers next to the flippers not working.
4. Upper right pop bumper also not working.

So the game is not full working order, not even in the slightest bit. Does it need going through or doesn't it? Was service was done in 2020?

If it were me, I would ask for more pics of the cabinet, head, coin door, and under the playfield, and ask what he meant by "service," and if it's in full working order, why there are so many things that don't work.

#54 2 years ago

4-600 for what you are describing. Likely the seller saw what a nice example was priced at, and figured that's where he should list his at. Happens all the time.

#56 2 years ago
Quoted from borna:

So If I get it at $500 +$400 shipping, I have a project pinball that I spent $900. Put another $600 into it and learn how to fix is myself. So at $1500 still not a bad price for something that you want?
I am computer engineer with some electronic background, so should not be too hard for me to learn.
But the biggest challenge is how to get it for $500. I am worried to ask hey I am going to pay $500 if you want to may insult the seller? LOL

Just be prepared to walk away...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hoover, AL
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fatpanda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avg-cost-of-repairing-an-em-pinball?tu=fatpanda and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.