You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180527_073709 (resized).jpg
20170413_204550 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170401_150041255 (resized).jpg
IMG_20170401_150115311 (resized).jpg
There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 2 years ago
Quoted from borna:

I only like EM pinballs and not interested in those digital ones at all.
Also in the EM pinballs, I only like surfer or surf champ and Wizard, because as a kid I played those and have good memory of them.

Ok so he only likes two pinball machines.

Definetly narrows down the possible deals and explains why he's about to get a $1300 Surfer project shipped to him!

Surfer is a great game, no doubt.

#52 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Ok so he only likes two pinball machines.
Definetly narrows down the possible deals and explains why he's about to get a $1300 Surfer project shipped to him!
Surfer is a great game, no doubt.

well I was going to pay $1100 since what we negotiated, but after I saw a video of the game I noticed those issues.
Then I found the issues with the back glass mentioned here.
The cabin is also in a bad shape but I know I can fix, paint and put a new stencile. There is a company that restore the backglass to original. Playing fields looks good.
But now I think this pinball won't worth more than $400 or $500 at most? Agree?

#53 2 years ago
Quoted from borna:

well I was going to pay $1100 since what we negotiated, but after I saw a video of the game I noticed those issues.
The cabin is also in a bad shape but I know I can fix, paint and put a new stencile. There is a company that restore the backglass to original. Playing fields looks good.

"worth" is always in the eye of the beholder but I think we can agree you can do better. Nothing wrong with spending $1300 or whatever on a Surf Champ but it shouldn't be a project.

#54 2 years ago

4-600 for what you are describing. Likely the seller saw what a nice example was priced at, and figured that's where he should list his at. Happens all the time.

#55 2 years ago
Quoted from borna:

So If I get it at $500 +$400 shipping, I have a project pinball that I spent $900. Put another $600 into it and learn how to fix is myself. So at $1500 still not a bad price for something that you want?

I am computer engineer with some electronic background, so should not be too hard for me to learn.

But the biggest challenge is how to get it for $500. I am worried to ask hey I am going to pay $500 if you want to may insult the seller? LOL

#56 2 years ago
Quoted from borna:

So If I get it at $500 +$400 shipping, I have a project pinball that I spent $900. Put another $600 into it and learn how to fix is myself. So at $1500 still not a bad price for something that you want?
I am computer engineer with some electronic background, so should not be too hard for me to learn.
But the biggest challenge is how to get it for $500. I am worried to ask hey I am going to pay $500 if you want to may insult the seller? LOL

Just be prepared to walk away...

#57 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Just be prepared to walk away...

So if I offer $500, is that fair ?

#58 2 years ago

Avg cost of repairing an EM pinball: Your soul

#59 2 years ago

Seriously.
Just wait for a better deal closer to you.

Quoted from borna:

So at $1500 still not a bad price for something that you want?

$1500 EMs should already be exactly what you're looking for without you needing to do much of anything.

#60 2 years ago
Quoted from borna:

So if I offer $500, is that fair ?

Yes. But keep in mind this seller is probably a scammer. The ad said the machine was working. You discovered the flippers aren’t working and a bunch of other issues.

Find a person you trust to go look at the game in person.

Seriously, what honest seller writes this ad with the issues you’ve brought up?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-surfer-2-player

#61 2 years ago

Have you tried contacting FL owners of these machines? You can find owners on pinside and send them a polite PM seeing if they are interested in selling. Use some of the $400 in shipping to pry one loose close to you.

#62 2 years ago

Couple of thoughts. First, Surfer doesn't come up all that often, so I understand your angst around missing out. However, this is being sold by someone new to Pinside without any history. Basically opened an account to list it. Best case is a great and wonderful person, who doesn't realize the value is far below his pricing. Worst case, it's a piece of junk and/or a scam. I would avoid buying a game from an unknown entity.

Second, buy local. It's one thing if you are buying an $8000+ game. Then the shipping amounts to 5% or so as opposed to an EM where the shipping can easily add another 50% to the game. Plus buying locally allows you to really see what you are getting. And, oftentimes you meet someone that may be able to help you with issues and/or have other games they will be selling in the future.

Third, you mentioned Wizard! This is a much more common game and one that tends to pop up with some frequency, often in decent condition. You might want to hold off and see if one of those pops up.

Bottom line...I think others have offered some of this same advice:
1) buy local (within your reasonable driving distance parameters)
2) buy a game that is in at least semi-working condition
3) Look for other titles like Wizard!
4) Create a wanted classified ad(s) for one or both of those on Pinside
5) be prepared for a sick addiction

As an aside, you mentioned your background. As someone who was in the technology space, a quick head's up. To the extent that you are wired in an analytical manner with strong root cause analysis skills, you will be fine. But you need to understand that these are electro MECHANICAL devices. It is usually the mechanical aspects that require attention.

#63 2 years ago

That isnt the only Surfer out there, Im sure you can find one local which will save you a solid chunk of change. Be patient, or else you will pay through the nose. Maybe look for the other game you wanted in the meantime

#64 2 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Yes. But keep in mind this seller is probably a scammer. The ad said the machine was working. You discovered the flippers aren’t working and a bunch of other issues.
Find a person you trust to go look at the game in person.
Seriously, what honest seller writes this ad with the issues you’ve brought up?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-surfer-2-player

OP (borna) this is good advise. Most of what people have posted is good advise but it sounds as if you made your mind up to purchase this no matter but you're just stuck on a price as to what to pay.

As anyone with EM experience (hell any pinball experience) will tell you once you fix all the issues that you know this machine has there's at least 2x more underlying issues.

I would certainly ask for more pictures (inside and out). The top of the back box looks to have damage to it. Left side joint appears to be pulling apart at the corner joint and right side looks like the wood is cracked. All fixable but think about how many more issues there are you cant see.

Ask the seller where he's located and then ask if he would allow someone to come over and inspect it!

If you decide to just go ahead and buy I think we all feel as though you will be posting back on here about how bad the condition of the machine is and what else the seller didn't advise you of!

Good luck

#65 2 years ago

here is the surf champ i picked up

IMG_20170401_150041255 (resized).jpgIMG_20170401_150041255 (resized).jpgIMG_20170401_150115311 (resized).jpgIMG_20170401_150115311 (resized).jpg
#66 2 years ago

You've got some work ahead of you, Boilerman! But that's a great game - have fun! I'd love to find a Surfer one of these days.

#67 2 years ago

Biolerman...talk about your fixer upper!

#68 2 years ago
Quoted from borna:

I really like to buy that machine and learn how to fix it.
I know I can paint the cabin and put new stencils
Not sure what I can do with the backglass? How bad is it?
What do you guys think about the condition of the playing field?
Since I am not local I have to pay $shipping charge, so with the condition it is
1. both Flippers not working
2. Both side bumpers not working
3. dropdown targets stuck at down position
4. Upper right pop bumper not working
5. Cabin needs paint and new stencils
What would be the assess value of such a machine?
Then based on that I can decide what it worth to me. Just like a house. bank will assess for for $500K but maybe you are willing to pay $700K
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/116143

Hey Op, did you notice the seller is a new member and this ad is his only post. Not saying it's a scam but as others have suggested you may want to find something local and working for your 1st pin.

#69 2 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Hey Op, did you notice the seller is a new member and this ad is his only post. Not saying it's a scam but as others have suggested you may want to find something local and working for your 1st pin.

Yeah, this guy prob joined Pinside for the sole purpose of dumping this game - apparently wasn't thinking that the other forum members might notice some irregularities between the actual game and the description.

#70 2 years ago

a month later

20180527_073709 (resized).jpg20180527_073709 (resized).jpg20170413_204550 (resized).jpg20170413_204550 (resized).jpg
#71 2 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

a month later
[quoted image][quoted image]

You do nice work!!

#72 2 years ago

I quit doing house calls... not worth it. I only consider full mechanical restoration jobs, and I turn down a lot of those once owners get a quote. That's fine by me... like other

Quoted from boilerman:

a month later
[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks fantastic... why no cabinet splatter?

#73 2 years ago
Quoted from Dono:

I quit doing house calls... not worth it. I only consider full mechanical restoration jobs, and I turn down a lot of those once owners get a quote. That's fine by me... like other

Looks fantastic... why no cabinet splatter?

it does have splatter, pics are crappy and doesn't show it. and i am with you on the repairs. just not worth the time and effort

#74 2 years ago

In this topic below someone mentioned they will bring a Wizard from Lakeland FL to Allentown to sell. You might try touching base with them if Lakeland is nearby.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinfest-2020-buy-sell-trade-want-no-hotel-talk

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hoover, AL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avg-cost-of-repairing-an-em-pinball/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.