View topic image gallery

K0EQ7BVv7Qw3HBwCYhMz3Dpt0fV4tgvAxp10wh3edYE (resized).png
Untitled-1 (resized).jpg
men-without-hats-i-got-the-message (resized).jpg
tenor.gif
aea5e85390c42f38eba732414168b9e787cb4872 (resized).jpg
avengers-compare.jpg
Screenshot 2020-10-13 103034 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#36 3 years ago

I'd say R&M is in the discussion.

#52 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

This to me is the most interesting comment of the thread, at least as of this moment it has 15 upvotes and nobody seems mad at it even though it's pretty derogatory towards a game that's been popular. Looking at the names it's not just the usual JJP boosters upvoting. I've seen the sentiment in other threads.
Both feature hand drawn art, in a similar comic-booky black line style. The main 'interactive toy' on both games is even exactly the same, which is just weird. Spinning discs are hot now. Avengers has a decent sized LCD, it's no longer JJP's screen vs red DMDs. Avengers has 3 flippers, the clear subway, cool ramps, plenty of wireforms, it's not "cheaped out" by Stern standards.
Yet people think Avengers looks like a toy, and I'm just curious what prompts that really.
Is it just that JJP really went all out on GNR? Or is there more to it than that?
Here's my suspicion: Yes, GNR is a great package. I was impressed when I first saw the photos. All credit to JJP. But, and I say this as a grown man who still likes comic books fine, I think JJP made a game that looks like it's for adults, and Stern made a game that looks like it's for kids.
I was actually really pleased when I found out Avengers was comic-based instead of being movie-based. Real plus for it in my book. But there's something about the presentation that feels kiddie-like to me.
Part of it is the yellow armor. Taste is subjective, but I don't like it. It just triggers that "Fischer Price" part of my brain, it looks like a bright toy for toddlers.
Again, I like comic art, but JY really leaned into the "make everything bright" theme. The whole game is turned up to 11 in the color department. He says he was looking to make it bright to stand out in dark bars and gamerooms, and I get it, but it's just got this candy-coated for the kiddos vibe to it still. There's no real darkness anywhere, both literally and in vibe.
The last bit, and maybe this is just me, but I wonder if other people are picking up on this too: the style guide ZY used to draw the characters feels like it's from a Disney Store packaging for kids' action figures. The faces and shading and style have this slightly rounded feeling that I associate with taking comics for adults and making the more kid-friendly versions of them. I know all about those because I used to pick them up for my kids when they were younger.
This isn't a criticism of ZY, just noting the vibes I get from the overall package. Bright yellow armor, bright, colorful, super-saturated art, softer character design. Compare this center playfield shot with something from the original comic and see if you agree that the vibe might be part of the 'toy' sentiments.
[quoted image]

I was at arcade and played every new Stern game (except AIQ) but everything (many LE) and I own SW premium so I like Stern games (I have 6 of them) but the new games just feel/look a bit cheaper than the SAM games (TWD, Metallica, SM etc) still great games but they feel/look the same and to me I can not believe Stern is getting $9K for the new LEs when STLE was so much more robust feeling and had a lot more features in the LE and even ST premium had powder coated armor.

My friend had left his EHOH at my house while he was moving it was nearly brand new and I put a hundred (plus) games on it. It's a great pin but it doesn't feel anything more special and the JJP and CGC games to me feel more solid.

#54 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yes you can, you know the clientele.

Sure, guys say "If it's Jaws that's an instabuy" or if it's BTTF or Goonies etc..

I am always like why the heck? what if it's a dud of a game?

I do own SW and I love it the theme is perfect but it is the gameplay/rules that got me to buy it.

#106 3 years ago
Quoted from MUGEN_4_LIFE:Agreed Imagine if Rick and Morty were done by Zombie Yeti! He could have made that machine worthy of the 9k price point! I love the gameplay because of the call outs and episode oriented modes but the art and rather funky design flow made it hard for me to want it in my collection of only a few machines based on current space limits. The side art was just a freaking joke as well! My kid could have done a better job with it.

I disagree that R&M side art is a joke. It’s very much in keeping with the show art and has different images on both sides something not all games do. If I’m not mistaken GnR CE has same art on both sides.

R&M is not a big budget game and doesn’t sell because of the art but more because it’s a great theme, humor and assets with more modes being added will only get better.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Columbia, SC
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 749.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Orange County Pinballs

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 40.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 60.00
Hardware
Pin Parts

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 130.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rai.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avengers-vs-gnr-for-game-of-the-year?tu=rai and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.