View topic image gallery

K0EQ7BVv7Qw3HBwCYhMz3Dpt0fV4tgvAxp10wh3edYE (resized).png
Untitled-1 (resized).jpg
men-without-hats-i-got-the-message (resized).jpg
tenor.gif
aea5e85390c42f38eba732414168b9e787cb4872 (resized).jpg
avengers-compare.jpg
Screenshot 2020-10-13 103034 (resized).png
There are 125 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 3 years ago

Curious what others think of these 2 games versus each other for game of the year? As we get closer to closing out 2020 will one of these games be the best of the year or will it be something else? Personally having a hard time deciding which one might be for me. Love GNR music also love the shots on Avengers! Both themes are good. Above all else now is an awesome time to be into pinball both of these games and designers are knocking it out of the park!

#2 3 years ago

Haven't played GNR yet, but Avengers plays awesome.
Themes are a wash for me.

#3 3 years ago

The amount of features they are stuffing into these games now is astounding. Makes it very hard not to go all in on NIB constantly.

#4 3 years ago

I know it won't win game of the year, but I'm really enjoying my new hot wheels pin. I feel its great when it comes to 'bang for your buck'.

#5 3 years ago

The games both look baller. Obviously gnr has way higher production values. The sound and call outs seem blah in avengers, and I feel that's where gnr is going to absolutely massacre it.

#6 3 years ago

Haven't played either but based the trailer videos GNR easily.

GNR

Avengers

#7 3 years ago

I thought Avengers looked cool but it looks like a cheap toy up next to GnR.

#8 3 years ago

which game has cooler shots? for straight pinball flow I would lean towards Avengers but I haven't obviously had my hands on GNR yet. Also gonna be cool to see how code updates get incorporated into both games. Sure would be awesome to have both games side by side!

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from stuckey_t:

which game has cooler shots? for straight pinball flow I would lean towards Avengers...

Tough; we really need a video with more footage of play to tell.

#10 3 years ago

As long as we are crowning a new champ, 1 is unplayed and other 2 weeks old, my vote is for Zeppelin !

#11 3 years ago

Time will tell. I have avengers coming soon and I am trying to make room for GnR! Anyone want a tmnt le?!

#12 3 years ago

Avengers is a shooter's pin, designed for flow and visibility. GnR looks very cool aesthetically, but ball visibility in the upper half of the playfield looks problematic, as it was with Wonka. GnR looks all crammed forward, Avengers looks like it has both long and near shots. But to be fair, TMNT looked kinda crammed forward, but shoots very well.

#13 3 years ago

Love the way avengers pro plays - no slouch.
Imagine premium/LE will be paradise.

This GNR is a big surprise and may have the X factor experience wise with the licensed assets.
Will see - Need to play one.

#14 3 years ago

In looks, GnR is miles ahead. I'm not a fan of Avengers looks (yellow is the worst color in the universe), while at the same time GnR looks incredible, like how my other pinballs look after three Martinis and a joint. But how they play, I dunno. Elwin has not let me down yet, but Eric and the rest of the JJP folks haven't either. Someone lend me $20K and I'll do a comprehensive comparison!

#15 3 years ago

A bit premature for a pin nobody here has played? Lol

#16 3 years ago

I should never have watch that GNR clip.

Not a fan of GNR music but I must own an LE.

Hoping sooner than later.

Time to ditch a few older pins.

#17 3 years ago

If its possible to care less about what pin gets "Game of the year" that's where I am with this. Who gives a fuck. U know what album of the year was in 2019? or Best Movie? or Best overall whatever. I don't cause I can say with absolute clarity they weren't my pics and even if they were, again, who gives a fuck.

#18 3 years ago

Avengers looks great. Great shots. Sorta crappy sfx and call outs. Gnr has mind blowing lights and sound. Gameplay doesn't look nearly as good. Both are definitely great games, but I am leaning towards AIQ (assuming those are the only two options).

I'm actually surprised how hyped everyone was for turtles, and now it seems nobody cares about that suddenly.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

I'm actually surprised how hyped everyone was for turtles, and now it seems nobody cares about that suddenly.

What's the general consensus on it? I played one the other day and couldn't stand the lame music. Screamed "dork".

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

What's the general consensus on it? I played one the other day and couldn't stand the lame music. Screamed "dork".

It’s a kickback to people who grew up in the 80s and 90s watching the cartoon with its iconic theme song. I like it. Not every game is going to have the curb appeal of a GNR game, and that’s fine.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

It literally screams "dork?" That was an odd software update.

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

It literally screams "dork?" That was an odd software update.

I should've put that differently.

When playing it, i thought the music in the background was really kinda lame. Like if i was with a chick playing a turtles pinball, she'd think "god, what a dork".

Maybe it can be turned off.

Whats the consensus on it? Good game?

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

If its possible to care less about what pin gets "Game of the year" that's where I am with this. Who gives a fuck. U know what album of the year was in 2019? or Best Movie? or Best overall whatever. I don't cause I can say with absolute clarity they weren't my pics and even if they were, again, who gives a fuck.

Nothing else matters?

#24 3 years ago

My vote would be for Rick and Morty. Top notch theme integration, hilarious callouts, challenging layout, diverse modes, and one of the best sound and light integrations in pinball. Overall though 2020 has been a great year for new games.

#25 3 years ago

Man, delete this thread and post it again in a year....

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

My vote would be for Rick and Morty. Top notch theme integration, hilarious callouts, challenging layout, diverse modes, and one of the best sound and light integrations in pinball. Overall though 2020 has been a great year for new games.

Definitely a dark horse but should be in the race.

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Like any award - it is more about the recipient than us. Hell, at least we get to vote on it.

#28 3 years ago

ugh...take me down to multiball city

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from stuckey_t:

ugh...take me down to multiball city

I know I keep jumping ahead in videos and its always Multi ball

#30 3 years ago

they both appear to have some serious flaws despite being great games

Avengers - lack of assets, poor music and call outs

GNR - questionable layout and multi ball heavy,video assets (fat axl)

#31 3 years ago

Why not TMNT!? ‍♂️

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

...video assets...

Yeah the live video concert footage was never going to be my fav...for any band. Obviously when Slash is involved it's kind of hard not to.

#33 3 years ago

GNR if they used footage from all their concerts and not just the latest tour but most likely out of JJP's control.

#34 3 years ago

I was blown away with the lightshow on JJP GAMES back in 2007... I never fell in love with any of their layouts but having POTC I do like the gameplay and some modes. I can't say I want to hold onto potc forever at all. But JP2 I will never give up... especially after the great video and audio assets integrated into the game by other hobbyists.

Keith Elwin is in another realm of game design, his shots flow so well, and he makes games with a ruleset that has fun and challenging gameplay from start to finish! For everyone making a decision based on the surface take a look at the rules in this game, I love how he changes rules depending on which faze of thor multiball or which Ironman multiball you're starting, or each unique gem gameplay features, also the difference in points based on how you approach each mode...

For me I loved the LOOK of GNR lighting and the kneck of the guitars integration LOOKS COOL, as well as the drum sticks, but they don't keep me wanting to keep playing the machine like a keith elwin design or ruleset. I look at the shots on GNR and I don't see the flow... I also look for
Unique rules and see multiple multiball modes that will give you more points based on more balls locked or less if you bring more into a multiball so that is some basic risk reward. I also like the risk in not cashing the song jackpot or rewards in just grabbing points available by shooting the shot.

I just cant see myself having as much fun with this machine...

I can add lighting, mods, video assets and sound to my Avengers based on what I find tasteful and positively improved the theme, but I wont have a chance to improve GNR shots or gameplay/rules out of box.

For me after watching hours of gameplay I can't jump on board without playing the machine. With keiths games I've had three outings that prove I can invest snd not be dissatisfied.

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from MUGEN_4_LIFE:

I was blown away with the lightshow on JJP GAMES back in 2007... I never fell in love with any of their layouts but having POTC I do like the gameplay and some modes. I can't say I want to hold onto potc forever at all. But JP2 I will never give up... especially after the great video and audio assets integrated into the game by other hobbyists.
Keith Elwin is in another realm of game design, his shots flow so well, and he makes games with a ruleset that has fun and challenging gameplay from start to finish! For everyone making a decision based on the surface take a look at the rules in this game, I love how he changes rules depending on which faze of thor multiball or which Ironman multiball you're starting, or each unique gem gameplay features, also the difference in points based on how you approach each mode...
For me I loved the LOOK of GNR lighting and the kneck of the guitars integration LOOKS COOL, as well as the drum sticks, but they don't keep me wanting to keep playing the machine like a keith elwin design or ruleset. I look at the shots on GNR and I don't see the flow... I also look for
Unique rules and see multiple multiball modes that will give you more points based on more balls locked or less if you bring more into a multiball so that is some basic risk reward. I also like the risk in not cashing the song jackpot or rewards in just grabbing points available by shooting the shot.
I just cant see myself having as much fun with this machine...
I can add lighting, mods, video assets and sound to my Avengers based on what I find tasteful and positively improved the theme, but I wont have a chance to improve GNR shots or gameplay/rules out of box.
For me after watching hours of gameplay I can't jump on board without playing the machine. With keiths games I've had three outings that prove I can invest snd not be dissatisfied.

So your saying Avengers for the win?

#36 3 years ago

I'd say R&M is in the discussion.

#37 3 years ago

TMNT it feels the best to shoot

#38 3 years ago

For me I loved the LOOK of GNR lighting and the neck of the guitars integration LOOKS COOL, as well as the drum sticks, but they don't keep me wanting to keep playing the machine like a keith elwin design or ruleset.

Agreed. Decorative elements in a game, concert footage, etc., don't satisfy as long as playfield geometry. The combo shots and ramps on AIQ are possibly the best there is, that's what makes a game last a long time in a collection, the ability to keep mastering combos on a masterful playfield made for it.

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

So your saying Avengers for the win?

Right, based on my 5000ft view of others streams.

It only took me an Avengers prem/LE reveal video to drop my deposit. Saw Keith designed it check, The flow of his layout, the Avengers tower integration, the dr. Strange spinning sling ring/ball lock, Avengers CPU bingo modes, the ability to collect all of the gems to keep thanos from collecting to his physical gauntlet on the playfield, the PYM vertical upkicker / scoop shot the flight 2k ball lock, captain Marvel gravity defying barrel roll shot, the black panther right orbit shot that has the ability to be hit from plunge, left lower and upper flippers, the gauntlet ramp that also has three ways to shoot it.

GNR revealed a game that had better quality eye candy on the playfield in guitar knecks and drum sticks as well as a slash hat sculpt and pair of rgb accentuated spinners, as well as a spinning record. All of that was stuff that I knew would look better than Avengers on the surface. Then add TWO DUAL AXIS RGB LIGHT CANS, SIX HEXAGONAL 12 RGB LIT STAGE LIGHTS AND THEIR ALMOST ALWAYS INCORPORATED LCD SCREEN, you have a incredible PACKAGE WITH MORE LIGHTS THEN BOTH STERN 2020 RELEASES HAS HAD THIS YEAR, SHIT they have more RGB LIGHTS IN THE CE EDITION THEN STERN HAS PUT RGB LIGHTS IN THEIR LAST TEN PLUS GAMES COMBINED! I Love that about JJP they dont skimp on the over all package.... but the games just don't keep me coming back like Keith elwin and Lymans games do.

#40 3 years ago

I’m sorry but sterns animations are crap I own an Elvira played on a jp2 and comparing that to any jjp is a lost.If you want stern to put more in (they should)then should root for this game to win.Lighting the same.

#41 3 years ago

Right, based on my 5000ft view of others streams.
It only took me an Avengers prem/LE reveal video to drop my deposit. Saw Keith designed it check, The flow of his layout, the Avengers tower integration, the dr. Strange spinning sling ring/ball lock, Avengers CPU bingo modes, the ability to collect all of the gems to keep thanos from collecting to his physical gauntlet on the playfield, the PYM vertical upkicker / scoop shot the flight 2k ball lock, captain Marvel gravity defying barrel roll shot, the black panther right orbit shot that has the ability to be hit from plunge, left lower and upper flippers, the gauntlet ramp that also has three ways to shoot it.
GNR revealed a game that had better quality eye candy on the playfield in guitar knecks and drum sticks as well as a slash hat sculpt and pair of rgb accentuated spinners, as well as a spinning record. All of that was stuff that I knew would look better than Avengers on the surface. Then add TWO DUAL AXIS RGB LIGHT CANS, SIX HEXAGONAL 12 RGB LIT STAGE LIGHTS AND THEIR ALMOST ALWAYS INCORPORATED LCD SCREEN, you have a incredible PACKAGE WITH MORE LIGHTS THEN BOTH STERN 2020 RELEASES HAS HAD THIS YEAR, SHIT they have more RGB LIGHTS IN THE CE EDITION THEN STERN HAS PUT RGB LIGHTS IN THEIR LAST TEN PLUS GAMES COMBINED! I Love that about JJP they dont skimp on the over all package.... but the games just don't keep me coming back like Keith elwin and Lymans games do.

First of all I was being sarcastic,your avatar is an Avenger translite.
You’ve never played GnR and I suspect you already made your mind up.

#42 3 years ago
#43 3 years ago

Software is a mess, can't hang with Avengers.

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

I know it won't win game of the year, but I'm really enjoying my new hot wheels pin. I feel its great when it comes to 'bang for your buck'.

Compare Hot Wheels to GnR standard and it blows it out of the water. You could even by a Hot Wheels and an AIQ pro for the price of GnR CE.

#45 3 years ago

Here's a shirt to wear if you're undecided...

https://shirt.woot.com/offers/appetite-for-avenging?ref=cnt_ctlg_dgn_3
Screenshot 2020-10-13 103034 (resized).pngScreenshot 2020-10-13 103034 (resized).png

#46 3 years ago

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I thought Avengers looked cool but it looks like a cheap toy up next to GnR.

This to me is the most interesting comment of the thread, at least as of this moment it has 15 upvotes and nobody seems mad at it even though it's pretty derogatory towards a game that's been popular. Looking at the names it's not just the usual JJP boosters upvoting. I've seen the sentiment in other threads.

Both feature hand drawn art, in a similar comic-booky black line style. The main 'interactive toy' on both games is even exactly the same, which is just weird. Spinning discs are hot now. Avengers has a decent sized LCD, it's no longer JJP's screen vs red DMDs. Avengers has 3 flippers, the clear subway, cool ramps, plenty of wireforms, it's not "cheaped out" by Stern standards.

Yet people think Avengers looks like a toy, and I'm just curious what prompts that really.

Is it just that JJP really went all out on GNR? Or is there more to it than that?

Here's my suspicion: Yes, GNR is a great package. I was impressed when I first saw the photos. All credit to JJP. But, and I say this as a grown man who still likes comic books fine, I think JJP made a game that looks like it's for adults, and Stern made a game that looks like it's for kids.

I was actually really pleased when I found out Avengers was comic-based instead of being movie-based. Real plus for it in my book. But there's something about the presentation that feels kiddie-like to me.

Part of it is the yellow armor. Taste is subjective, but I don't like it. It just triggers that "Fischer Price" part of my brain, it looks like a bright toy for toddlers.

Again, I like comic art, but JY really leaned into the "make everything bright" theme. The whole game is turned up to 11 in the color department. He says he was looking to make it bright to stand out in dark bars and gamerooms, and I get it, but it's just got this candy-coated for the kiddos vibe to it still. There's no real darkness anywhere, both literally and in vibe.

The last bit, and maybe this is just me, but I wonder if other people are picking up on this too: the style guide ZY used to draw the characters feels like it's from a Disney Store packaging for kids' action figures. The faces and shading and style have this slightly rounded feeling that I associate with taking comics for adults and making the more kid-friendly versions of them. I know all about those because I used to pick them up for my kids when they were younger.

This isn't a criticism of ZY, just noting the vibes I get from the overall package. Bright yellow armor, bright, colorful, super-saturated art, softer character design. Compare this center playfield shot with something from the original comic and see if you agree that the vibe might be part of the 'toy' sentiments.

avengers-compare.jpgavengers-compare.jpg

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Software is a mess, can't hang with Avengers.

Boo.

I hear a code update is imminent.

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Boo.
I hear a code update is imminent.

Ha they already made new code and didn't even fix the issue of low golf score factoring in. Boo to that!

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Ha they already made new code and didn't even fix the issue of low golf score factoring in. Boo to that!

Thread title is misleading. NGG is game of the year every year.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Scranton, PA
$ 19.00
$ 11,000.00
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

7,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sacramento, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Other
BomberMods

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Old Town Pinball

8,245 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Georgetown, KY
$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 11,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 210.00
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 60.00
Hardware
Pin Parts

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Islamorada, FL
$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 16.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 125 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avengers-vs-gnr-for-game-of-the-year?hl=mettle64 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.