IMG_2618.jpg
2013-02-10_10.50.04.jpg
2photo.JPG
1photo.JPG
avengphoto.JPG
sternphoto.JPG
image.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markmon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

So after being confused by the Avengers rules, I decided to take off the glass and see how they worked. Before I go into many details, it appears that the game is actually complete including the mini wizard mode (attack the helicarrier) and the wizard mode (battle for earth). As of v1.2, there is no more 6 ball multiball. Even the wizard mode is only 4 balls. However, you can add-a-ball to get to 5 and stack the MB to get to 6.

There are stages to each avenger:
1) Qualify the avenger
2) Collect the avenger
3) Requalify the avenger
4) Complete the avenger in an avenger vs avenger dual

Qualify The Avenger
To qualify each Avenger, you must start his mode by shooting him. In most cases this is accomplished by simply shooting him enough times to start his mode by lighting his row of inserts. Except Thor and Hulk which require knocking down their drop targets a number of times. Each of these qualifies the Avenger. For Hulk, he is qualified when you light the green arrow.

Collect the Avenger
To collect each avenger, first qualify the avenger then shoot the additional shots on the screen to collect the avenger. Once the avenger is collected, his insert is flashing. Once qualified, there is no time limit to collect the avenger. It also does not reset on ball drain. There are often a lot of shots to collect the avengers. For example, for Black Widow, you have to shoot the ramp 10 more times to collect each letter of "black widow"!. For Hawkeye, you must spell his name. For captain america, you must hit 100 pop bumper hits. The DMD tells you what to do. Also, all this stuff stacks with multiballs as well as collecting other avengers. (I did not test if it stacks during Loki multiball - update: Loki mb locks out the other shots and they resume afterwards). It also does not stack once an avenger is collected as described below.

Complete the Avenger
Once you collect an avenger, it will be flashing. At this point, qualify the avenger again, and you will start a multiball. For all the avengers, this is a 2 ball multiball and is a "battle" with another avenger. This mode is exclusive and locks out everything else, until the avenger is completed or you drain one of your balls losing the battle. However, once the avenger is completed whether the multiball is over or not, you can resume collecting other avengers or starting other multiballs - even with the 2 ball running. If you start another multiball after collecting an avenger you simply get an additional ball. In fact, this is a fantastic rule. After collecting an avenger, you get another ball into play until you drain it. I love this rule! So collecting an avenger then starting hulk without draining means Hulk will be a 5 ball MB, Loki a 4 ball, etc. While running the collect avenger multiball, there will be specific shots indicated on the DMD and indicated to shoot by lanes flashing on the PF. It's pretty obvious what to do.

If you fail to collect the avenger (your ball drains ending your multiball before you make the needed amount of shots), you must requalify the avenger. But once requalified, you immediately resume your multiball battle. The battles all have progression so if your MB had 10 shots required and you made 6, you only have 4 more to get the avenger completed.

During any of the MB's if you manage to light Nick Fury and hit him, the first time you hit him is usually an add-a-ball which restarts your ball saver.

I will not go into detail as to what the mini and wizard modes do. I purposely let them drain and ended them to not spoil anything.

Opinion
So my opinion of the rules, the rules are fantastic. I love the stacking nature of the ruleset as well as the progression. The game is pretty difficult. It will be achievable to get to the mini wizard mode (about as hard as say battle royale on spiderman). It will be very difficult to get to the wizard mode as you have to survive long enough to actually beat each avenger's multiball. Not to mention that the shots are all very tight. It's great. I love the way that the modes never time out. I love the way that you can strategize a hulk multiball to collect another avenger, I love the fact that you keep your added ball after completing an avenger.

Also the sounds in this game are awesome. I think it's some of the best sound track in any pinball game. Every one of the voice actors did a great job. I think Thor is the Magneto voice actor from Xmen.

So far, the only bug I found while playing was that at one point, extra ball was lit but the light was not on. The DMD indicated as such, the callout was there to get the extra ball, and the shot gave me the extra ball.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

So after you complete an Avenger....do you start qualifying them again when you hit their shot after that? Do you re-collect them if they have already been collected when other characters still haven't been collected?
Basically what I'm asking is do you play their modes over and over after beating them or would you first go through the mini wizard or wizard mode before re-qualifying them?

Yep. As I said in the xmen thread, pretty much no other game locks you out of these types of modes.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from muttonboy:

Ah, the only two games I owned before Xmen do, guess I'm pickier than I thought lol.

Which games are those? Because sttng and lotr don't have various shot modes. They have mode start hole modes.

#31 11 years ago

Updated and corrected original errors in my post.

1 month later
#65 11 years ago
Quoted from mcfly:

ball seems to get stuck on thor drop targets a lot . is this just a levelling thing

Does your game have a rubber ring behind the drops? Some didn't. Make sure you have one.

#67 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Mine gets stuck too. Sometimes slowly wiggles down the row. What rubber ring should I be looking for?
Thanks...again : )

Drop the targets. There should be a rubber behind them like a slingshot type rubber or such.

#102 11 years ago
Quoted from screen:

I'd love some tips for less BW ramp rejects on my LE. I've already added a washer to even out the bridge transition but still get rejected > 50% of the time at 6.5°.

Wax your playfield with a good carnuba paste wax. After this is can make the shot also with a stopped ball backhand from the right flipper. Might have to regap your left flipper. See vids flipper rebuild guide for how to use the flipper gap tool.

#105 11 years ago

Pro doesn't need spacers. The ramp is on piece

1 week later
#127 11 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Looks like mine came from the factory with the wider spacers, I received machine several weeks ago direct from Stern. Sorry for the bad pic, too lazy to take the glass off.

I took the plastics off entirely. With the spacers even really long, it still ramp rejected a little (like fell into the hulk hole without triggering black widow rather than came back down the ramp). But with the plastics off, the ball flies around that ramp like a mofo. A couple times it's gotten air born and flown off, but this happens less than the rejects happened with tall spacers. So in the end, it's a net win.

#130 11 years ago

Try taking it off and compare. It would have to be spaces up about 3/4" at least to compare. The plastic doesn't really seem helpful and it looks better off.

#133 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

The airballs concern me though. I'll give it a shot though and report back.

They're not really air balls. It more falls into hulk area. But this happens less often than the rejects with plastic on and raised. Definitely try it and see. You can even backhand the ramp.

#152 11 years ago

U

Quoted from Eskaybee:Great post! I just changed my coil pulse power in the adjustments menu from medium (factory) to soft and made a huge difference. That coupled with the raised plastics = I was nailing BW much better. Even got to AotHC and got to do BW vs hulk.

So can you try removing the plastic now and see if its still so aggressive?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 26.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markmon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avengers-v12-rudimentary-rules?tu=markmon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.