Topic Stats

• 166 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by OuttaSpace
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

hulk1.JPG
IMG_2621.jpg
IMG_2618.jpg
2013-02-10_10.50.04.jpg
2photo.JPG
1photo.JPG
avengphoto.JPG
sternphoto.JPG
image.jpg
image.jpg

There are 166 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 6 years ago

So after being confused by the Avengers rules, I decided to take off the glass and see how they worked. Before I go into many details, it appears that the game is actually complete including the mini wizard mode (attack the helicarrier) and the wizard mode (battle for earth). As of v1.2, there is no more 6 ball multiball. Even the wizard mode is only 4 balls. However, you can add-a-ball to get to 5 and stack the MB to get to 6.

There are stages to each avenger:
1) Qualify the avenger
2) Collect the avenger
3) Requalify the avenger
4) Complete the avenger in an avenger vs avenger dual

Qualify The Avenger
To qualify each Avenger, you must start his mode by shooting him. In most cases this is accomplished by simply shooting him enough times to start his mode by lighting his row of inserts. Except Thor and Hulk which require knocking down their drop targets a number of times. Each of these qualifies the Avenger. For Hulk, he is qualified when you light the green arrow.

Collect the Avenger
To collect each avenger, first qualify the avenger then shoot the additional shots on the screen to collect the avenger. Once the avenger is collected, his insert is flashing. Once qualified, there is no time limit to collect the avenger. It also does not reset on ball drain. There are often a lot of shots to collect the avengers. For example, for Black Widow, you have to shoot the ramp 10 more times to collect each letter of "black widow"!. For Hawkeye, you must spell his name. For captain america, you must hit 100 pop bumper hits. The DMD tells you what to do. Also, all this stuff stacks with multiballs as well as collecting other avengers. (I did not test if it stacks during Loki multiball - update: Loki mb locks out the other shots and they resume afterwards). It also does not stack once an avenger is collected as described below.

Complete the Avenger
Once you collect an avenger, it will be flashing. At this point, qualify the avenger again, and you will start a multiball. For all the avengers, this is a 2 ball multiball and is a "battle" with another avenger. This mode is exclusive and locks out everything else, until the avenger is completed or you drain one of your balls losing the battle. However, once the avenger is completed whether the multiball is over or not, you can resume collecting other avengers or starting other multiballs - even with the 2 ball running. If you start another multiball after collecting an avenger you simply get an additional ball. In fact, this is a fantastic rule. After collecting an avenger, you get another ball into play until you drain it. I love this rule! So collecting an avenger then starting hulk without draining means Hulk will be a 5 ball MB, Loki a 4 ball, etc. While running the collect avenger multiball, there will be specific shots indicated on the DMD and indicated to shoot by lanes flashing on the PF. It's pretty obvious what to do.

If you fail to collect the avenger (your ball drains ending your multiball before you make the needed amount of shots), you must requalify the avenger. But once requalified, you immediately resume your multiball battle. The battles all have progression so if your MB had 10 shots required and you made 6, you only have 4 more to get the avenger completed.

During any of the MB's if you manage to light Nick Fury and hit him, the first time you hit him is usually an add-a-ball which restarts your ball saver.

I will not go into detail as to what the mini and wizard modes do. I purposely let them drain and ended them to not spoil anything.

Opinion
So my opinion of the rules, the rules are fantastic. I love the stacking nature of the ruleset as well as the progression. The game is pretty difficult. It will be achievable to get to the mini wizard mode (about as hard as say battle royale on spiderman). It will be very difficult to get to the wizard mode as you have to survive long enough to actually beat each avenger's multiball. Not to mention that the shots are all very tight. It's great. I love the way that the modes never time out. I love the way that you can strategize a hulk multiball to collect another avenger, I love the fact that you keep your added ball after completing an avenger.

Also the sounds in this game are awesome. I think it's some of the best sound track in any pinball game. Every one of the voice actors did a great job. I think Thor is the Magneto voice actor from Xmen.

So far, the only bug I found while playing was that at one point, extra ball was lit but the light was not on. The DMD indicated as such, the callout was there to get the extra ball, and the shot gave me the extra ball.

#2 6 years ago

This is a great break down, this clears up something's. Now I can't wait to get home to play me some HULK!

#3 6 years ago

Sounds like great rules to me!

#4 6 years ago

I'm surprised they axed the 6-ball multiball as standard for Hulk, especially since they list it as a LE feature over the Pro. I know it's probably impossible to do nearly anything with 6 balls in play but I liked that it was different than the standard 3-4 ball on all other recent Sterns. I wish they had made it at least 5-ball with the opportunity to add a ball.

Overall I'm really liking the sound of the ruleset so far though, especially the saved progression. Can't wait to get mine. Thanks for putting this together Markmon

#5 6 years ago

Nice write up markmon. Any potential roadblocks or slowdowns in the ruleset as a player gets deeper? Like if you start completing avengers will the code get a little repetitive or slow down since you'll have fewer avengers to go for?

#6 6 years ago

Thanks for the write-up Markmon! Nicely done....

#7 6 years ago

Nice job Markmon

#8 6 years ago

Nice write up! thanks!

#10 6 years ago

So after you complete an Avenger....do you start qualifying them again when you hit their shot after that? Do you re-collect them if they have already been collected when other characters still haven't been collected?

Basically what I'm asking is do you play their modes over and over after beating them or would you first go through the mini wizard or wizard mode before re-qualifying them?

#11 6 years ago

Great write up, now I just need to find one for AC/DC. Still don't completely understand that game.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

So after you complete an Avenger....do you start qualifying them again when you hit their shot after that? Do you re-collect them if they have already been collected when other characters still haven't been collected?
Basically what I'm asking is do you play their modes over and over after beating them or would you first go through the mini wizard or wizard mode before re-qualifying them?

Yep. As I said in the xmen thread, pretty much no other game locks you out of these types of modes.

#13 6 years ago

markmon- Thanks for posting this. Really helpful.

#14 6 years ago

Nice write up. I liked the 6 ball multiball. It is a very fun an additive game.

#15 6 years ago

What are the current downfalls, not only in the code, but the game entirely? We've heard a lot of good about this game these past few days. Besides price, what are its flaws/negatives? Do the pros outweigh the cons? Simply put, is this game as good as people say it is or is it still the honeymoon?

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Yep. As I said in the xmen thread, pretty much no other game locks you out of these types of modes.

Ah, the only two games I owned before Xmen do, guess I'm pickier than I thought lol.

#17 6 years ago

Thanks for the rules breakdown, is there a super skill shot of any kind?

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from muttonboy:

Ah, the only two games I owned before Xmen do, guess I'm pickier than I thought lol.

Which games are those? Because sttng and lotr don't have various shot modes. They have mode start hole modes.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Which games are those? Because sttng and lotr don't have various shot modes. They have mode start hole modes.

Ah, I thought it seemed most games with ~5 or less requalified and stacked generally, and 6 or more usually didn't. Wasn't really thinking how they started mattered, my bad, only two I have much experience with as they were the only two I liked enough to own. Now I might know why, thanks!

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

What are the current downfalls, not only in the code, but the game entirely? We've heard a lot of good about this game these past few days. Besides price, what are its flaws/negatives? Do the pros outweigh the cons? Simply put, is this game as good as people say it is or is it still the honeymoon?

Game plays fast and unforgiving at times . But, If you are hitting your shots...each one feels more rewarding than the last.

Some of the voice calls blend together. Needs longer shield award animation. Plastics hide essential game play features. ScarJo's living doll impression gets old too. That's pretty much it. Price is super high. Have to assume most will take price hit at some point. But, that being said, most probably won't sell, so resale value is unimportant.

#21 6 years ago

Does it look or feel cheap? I know that's been a knock on Stern machines for awhile (although better lately).

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

Does it look or feel cheap? I know that's been a knock on Stern machines for awhile (although better lately).

I doubt it. The pros feel cheap. But not as cheap as the BBH, IM, trs, avatar days. I've owned the high build quality games like LoTR, sm, FGY....and I own some of the new LEs; TFLE, ACDC prem, XMLE. They are just as solid as they used to be, With TFLE feeling the most solid.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

Does it look or feel cheap?

not at all nice and solid, really enjoying this game it just kicks my ass!

#24 6 years ago

great post, thanks for detailing to us.

#25 6 years ago

One final question, would it be fun for more casual players? Wondering if the family will enjoy it too or if it'll kick their ass.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

One final question, would it be fun for more casual players? Wondering if the family will enjoy it too or if it'll kick their ass.

Yes. My non pinhead friends all play it and ACDC the most out of my games. It draws attention.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

It's tough...but has everything a casual player would like...eye candy and pretty lights. Plus, they are bound to start hulk multiball at some point.

Hulk has some great lines.

#28 6 years ago

I need help deciding whether to update code on Hulk. It sounds like you loose some of the differences that the LE provides, but may gain others. Can anyone do a simply + and - to help me with this decision. Thanks in advance!

#29 6 years ago

Using the latest software here and it is fine.

Found out there are two different wizard modes...

#30 6 years ago

Thanks for the break down. I also dig the rules.

#31 6 years ago

Updated and corrected original errors in my post.

#32 6 years ago

Here is an update to Markmon's excellent start one the rules of Avengers LE:

Tesseract.
The tesseract spinning target is a bit like the lamp on ToTAN and the spinning targets on several Williams EMs. It's rules are very well done, even in the 1.2 release! Here's what I've come up with.

When you spin the target, you collect one letter in COSMIC. You also collect points (starts at 500 and builds quickly) for each spin of the target (one ball hit may get dozens of spins, only 1 letter, but a fair amount of points). You also build a Tesseract jackpot value with each spin. Once the cube stops, hitting it again spots the next letter in COSMIC, and farther builds the jackpot value. The more spins you get before starting the mode, the higher the jackpot value. Once COSMIC has been spelled, you start the Tesseract Mode.

The Tesseract Mode is a one-ball, timed, 25 second mode that can be run concurrently with anything else (I believe). While in the mode, each main shot in the game (Hawkeye, Capt America, Black Widow, and Iron Man) score the Tesseract jackpot value and the same amount is accumulated into a Tesseract Super Jackpot cache. You may collect as many jackpots as possible during the 25 seconds. Also, "add more time" is available but I'm not sure it's working correctly in this release (you get it awarded but I don't believe it actually adds the time, potential bug). Also, while in this mode, every 15 spins of the tesseract cube adds a letter to COSMIC. Once COSMIC is spelled, the accumulated Super Jackpot is available to collect on any of the four aforementioned shots. If the mode ends before COSMIC is spelled, the game saves your progress towards the COSMIC and keeps accumulating your super jackpot cache.

The next time the mode is started, you begin with the letters you spotted in the previous play(s) of this mode, continuing to build towards the Super Jackpot. Multiple Super Jackpots can be collected until the mode ends.

The third time starting Tesseract Mode lights EXTRA BALL on the saucer.

#33 6 years ago

Tweaked the above post a bit for accuracy.

1 week later
#34 6 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I will not go into detail as to what the mini and wizard modes do. I purposely let them drain and ended them to not spoil anything.

Ok, without spoiling anything, I have never played/owned any games that had any wizard type modes (sheltered pinball life, but I'm getting there). What should I generally expect to happen here? Special shots I need to hit in a limited time? Video animation using flippers?

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Ok, without spoiling anything, I have never played/owned any games that had any wizard type modes (sheltered pinball life, but I'm getting there). What should I generally expect to happen here? Special shots I need to hit in a limited time? Video animation using flippers?

Most wizard modes are hidden from the initial pf layout (inserts, shot layout, etc...) some do have inserts designated for mini wizard modes and in some cases wizard modes. So generally speaking, a player may or may not know they made it to a mini wiz mode.

In the case of avengers, I can only give you what I know about the mini wiz mode as I haven't reached the final wizard mode. When you collect all the avengers, a certain shot will be flashing differently than normal indicating for the player to shoot for it. If you know how to watch the DMD while you play, you WILL know you've made it to the mini wizard mode. However, the mini wizard mode is not active (or lit) if you're in tesserect mode or a mb. I want to say that it's not active if Loki lock is lit too. But can't remember

1 week later
#36 6 years ago

getting hard to find this and its very good . so bump

#37 6 years ago

Great rundown and what is said seems right on. I had pretty well put most of this together in my head but this really makes it click. I've said this before in other treads but I'll say it again, this game is addictive. I like acdc and others but this game just calls me. I have gotten 5 of the 6 Avengers and its always black widow that gets me. That is a pretty tough shot.
The machine has made the others feel really outdated, easier and kind of shallow. We play others now and usually destroy any older high scores we had set. Candace was drawn to acdc with all the flash at first and really didn't like the Hulk.(darker playfield,hard shots, tighter layout) but now when I come in I usually find her on this machine.
Thanks for posting such detailed rule info. It will help everyone enjoy the game even more!

#38 6 years ago

Could not agree more HULK LE is well one killer game; and more code coming monday too if this thing gets the right code updates it definitley has some potential to be a top 5 game. I think it is Gomez's masterpiece; the shots are so tight but yet satisfying and just pure fun to hit.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Could not agree more HULK LE is well one killer game; and more code coming monday too if this thing gets the right code updates it definitley has some potential to be a top 5 game. I think it is Gomez's masterpiece; the shots are so tight but yet satisfying and just pure fun to hit.

I think it's already a top 5 game. Additional code is just icing on the cake at this point. Maybe a few bug fixes and more integration with the hawkeye ramp. This game is stellar!

#40 6 years ago

1 shot away from starting mini wiz mode last night. starting to really like this game now that im figuring out all the little details on the rules.

if they added some extra mini modes for the cube, agents of shield and loki mb would really put it over the top.

#41 6 years ago

Super fun game and rules, I've been close to the wizard mode also, but was left with the IM and Black Widow shots.. those seem to be the hardest to complete.

#42 6 years ago

I didn't like Loki mb at all when I first started playing. Now that I understand the rules of the mb though, it's very fun, difficult, and strategic. Still haven't completed it but I have gotten to AotHC 4 times in the last week. Unfortunately, i always seem to drain right after it starts.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I didn't like Loki mb at all when I first started playing. Now that I understand the rules of the mb though, it's very fun, difficult, and strategic. Still haven't completed it but I have gotten to AotHC 4 times in the last week. Unfortunately, i always seem to drain right after it starts.

What are the rules to Loki MB?

#44 6 years ago

I have the same question on loki, how do you activate it? Curious also as to what kind of scores people are ringing up. I just hit 61 mil.

#45 6 years ago

Glad to hear everyone is struggling with this game, makes me feel better . It is the hardest game I have for certain.

I love that they gave the newbies something big (Hulk) to trigger easily, get the money shot, lots of excitement, but there is SOOO much game left to explore. Awesome stuff.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Glad to hear everyone is struggling with this game, makes me feel better . It is the hardest game I have for certain.

If it's the hardest game you own then definitely don't buy X-Men...you think you're angry now

On the other hand, I just love the shots on Avengers. The game reminds me of some of the electro mechanical machines in the late 70's with the speed and ramps of the 90's DMD games. I love the fact you mix in an upward rolling fulcrum that rolls into a ramp, saucer hole, middle playfield ramp!, drop down targets, and upper playfield inlane scoring...WOW.

Like I said...has some of the old, lots of the new, and is just plain fun. I haven't played pinball this much since I got into the hobby.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

What are the rules to Loki MB?

Light all 4 lanes to spell LOKI to light lock. 3 balls start Loki mb. It's a 3ball mb and Shield adds a ball.

The rules are very similar to playing Optimus prime mb as an autobot, which if you've played, is a very fun mb despite the roadblock. That said here are the rules:
-all 6 avengers shots start off lit.
-shoot an avenger and all shots will turn off except the one you got. Active Loki shots will be denoted with a rapid flashing arrow. Any active mode progression shots will stay solid lit.
-shoot that avenger a second time to collect, then all shots will relight except the one collected.
-rinse and repeat collecting all avengers. To collect hulk you must get past the hulk wall then shoot hulk or the pressure plate twice. Not sure how Thor works.
-I'm not sure if there's a final super JP yet, I keep draining when I get to the final avenger heh.
-best part is there's no progression in Loki but it does not have to be completed to progress through the game. It's a points mb as well as a strategy mb to rack up active avengers modes.

#48 6 years ago

What an excellent thread. Have only had my Hulk for a few days, so I'm still in the "what the hell is going" phase, trying to learn how to hit these very tight and different shots.

Thanks to everyone posting in this thread!

Michael

#49 6 years ago

Mad ups to Markmon and Eskaybee and Dr. Jones for the explanations. I've only played the Pro (at BumperNets) and it took me a while to figure out the BONUS STRUCTURE, SHOT MULTIPLIER's, EB's, and point strategy. I'd like to see someone detail the Vs. Modes since so far all I've seen are Black Widow Vs. Hawkeye. I'd Also like to see what Myster Awards people have received.

Just a few observations that haven't been discussed already:

Bonus Structure: 10K? x avenger hit x bonus multiplier . On the Pro you can abuse Thor standups to get huge bonus points. Not sure if this is true with LE or not, but I've had several over 15M.

Shot Multipliers: Collect the avenger for 2x scoring. Not sure what happens for Hulk, Thor, or Captain America. I assume IM and BW are the same as HE

EB's: 3 available. Mystery Award, Cosmic 3 times (and 25 for the adventurous), and qualifying a certain number of Avengers???

Mystery: 200K..a subtle version of T2's F-YOU, Bonus Hold, 4x Bonus, 8x Bonus and???

Strategy: I've done pretty well with just shooting HE over and over again. You get your loki locks, HE Vs. BW and sometimes the loki lock will gift you a free 2 ball MB, PLUS when you miss you hit Thor/Hulk or CA. Just don't hit the Blue Standup or your screwed. I've also found BW to be easier than most so YMMV, but CA and IM are the toughest shots IMO.

Curious to see what everyone else is doing score wise/strategy wise. I've hit 100M once. I've qualified all the Avengers, but never collected them all. Forget about completing their Vs. MB's.

#50 6 years ago

Great info Casey. I need to learn more about the shot multipliers. Are they active for the rest of the game when the avenger is collected or just for the current ball you collected them with?

I've collected all the avengers several times and have gotten bonuses as high as 80mil! Learning the 2X strategy may be very beneficial.

My current strategy is use HE to set up BW and get BW started. Then I'll get HE going and Loki mb. After Loki, I try and qualify IM and CA before starting hulk. Then, it's all about completing them. I've gotten the tesserect super JP once and have no idea how (I need to reread this thread) but I do remember the call out/sound effect was sweet!

I'm also digging the hulk super JP. I almost understand all of hulks rules and will post them when I do.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 16.00
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
There are 166 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside