Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by MooButt
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

F09E50CC-BAC2-48DF-B94D-B44199AAB1D8 (resized).png
42A39C81-4269-416A-9680-C10BBAD94F8A (resized).png

#1 1 year ago

Well I just purchased a mint Avengers "The Pin". The original owner said that it was working with no issues until one night at a party, it was nudged hard and it thew up an "IO Error". From there they replaced the CPU board and the Node board. Neither fixed it. I bought it in this state and have continued to work on it.

When booting up with just the node board connected to 48V and RJ45 from CPU connected, it doesn't throw the IO Error. On the node board there is a 6V LED that flashes. As soon as I plug in the flat ribbon cable running from the node board to the main LED board, it drops the 6V down to 1.5V and says IO Error. It does this with nothing but the ribbon cable connected to the LED board. So I thought the LED board has a short pulling down the 6V. I just received a new LED board from Stern today. Plugged it in and it does the exact same thing.

I have called Stern support and David & Chas has helped some but it appears they have received absolutely no support from the engineering department on these pins. There appears to be no diagnostic menu for these machines either.

Anybody have any experience with either the Avengers or the Transformers? Would love to know how a known working machine boots up and how the 6V LED acts during this. Also make sure the node board is connected correctly.

This is the first Spike system. The CPU board appears to be working ok. All LED's are reporting with the correct voltage and it is talking to the Node board as long as I don't plug in the LED board.

3 weeks later
#2 1 year ago

I assume nobody has any experience with this machine. Since my original post, I have corrected the error and the game is fully functional now. These pins have 2 LED driver boards. I replaced both LED boards and that corrected the problem. Each LED driver board has LED surface mount chips on board. Those chips were bad. The chips require 6V to operate.

It appears the voltage regulator (creates 6V) on the original Node board went bad and allowed a higher voltage to the LED boards. This caused both boards to be damaged. There was a dead short between gnd and Vdd on those chips.

The original owner replaced the Node and CPU board but had not replaced the LED boards before giving up.

#3 1 year ago

Oh yeah also the first LED board I got from Stern was bad as well. I sent that board back to Stern they replaced it.

2 weeks later
#4 1 year ago

I had a Transformers The Pin in the past with issues. There was no 6 v at the node board and Stern provided zero support (no manual, tech support, nuttin'). It also appears that the node board is unique to The Pin and is now unobtainum. I was fortunate that a fellow Pinsider sold me a NOS board. It is worth nothing that I was able to use a PC power supply hardwired to the start switch for the missing 6 volts prior to obtaining the properly working node board. It worked just fine.

Good luck. Neat little machine.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from FiatsRUs:

I had a Transformers The Pin in the past with issues. There was no 6 v at the node board and Stern provided zero support (no manual, tech support, nuttin'). It also appears that the node board is unique to The Pin and is now unobtainum. I was fortunate that a fellow Pinsider sold me a NOS board. It is worth nothing that I was able to use a PC power supply hardwired to the start switch for the missing 6 volts prior to obtaining the properly working node board. It worked just fine.
Good luck. Neat little machine.

Did you talk to stern about a replacement node board? I have an avengers the pin that when the up post assembly is connected I lose all power to coils except flippers

3 months later
#6 10 months ago
Quoted from FiatsRUs:

There was no 6 v at the node board and Stern provided zero support (no manual, tech support, nuttin').

And they still don't provide *any* support (manuals, schematics, parts lists, etc) whatsoever for any of "The Pin" machines.

I see Marco Specialties has the node 1 boards (520-5321-00) available:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/520-5321-00

They also have the cpu board:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/520-5318-01

4 weeks later
#7 9 months ago

Here’s the parts list. I’m having a problem with the multiball plunger coil shorting out the system and blowing the fuse when it’s hooked up. Any ideas? I’ve tried two different node boards already.

42A39C81-4269-416A-9680-C10BBAD94F8A (resized).pngF09E50CC-BAC2-48DF-B94D-B44199AAB1D8 (resized).png
#8 9 months ago

Have you checked to make sure the coil is not shorted itself?

Is anything touching something it should (stray wires near the coil or coil switches?).

Does the game work 100% if you bypass the coil (e.g. disconnect it?).

#9 9 months ago
Quoted from MooButt:

Here’s the parts list. I’m having a problem with the multiball plunger coil shorting out the system and blowing the fuse when it’s hooked up. Any ideas? I’ve tried two different node boards already.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Where on Stern's website did you find those documents?

3 months later
#10 6 months ago
Quoted from pinballwiz:

I have called Stern support and David & Chas has helped some but it appears they have received absolutely no support from the engineering department on these pins. There appears to be no diagnostic menu for these machines either.

This will likely be the same scenario with the new Star Wars the Pin home model too. ZERO support. No manuals.

#11 6 months ago

These are literally designed to be disposable machines. Whats worse is Stern took the Homepin design and used it in commercial pinball machines ... this is how the Spike system was born.

1 month later
#12 5 months ago

Chaz helped me. I got the multiball working on mine. There were a couple of blown transistors on the node board.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 16.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 219.00
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside