Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 34 days ago by Scosti
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

59AD1B78-2465-4BA6-8373-4936193D1749 (resized).jpeg

#1 42 days ago

Bought an avengers LE and the hulk magnet and Arms up coils weren’t working. Noticed they weren’t connected underneath and connected them.(machine was off when this was done)

Coil and magnet are now working... but now all switch’s for Switch drive row 4 aren’t working. They were all working before.

Where do I start?

Thanks!!!

#2 39 days ago

If you unplug the coils again (how it was before), does switch row 4 start working again? If so, is there any sort of under-playfield circuit board that those systems connect to? My guess is that the coils were disconnected for a reason.

#3 36 days ago
Quoted from adalogue:

If you unplug the coils again (how it was before), does switch row 4 start working again? If so, is there any sort of under-playfield circuit board that those systems connect to? My guess is that the coils were disconnected for a reason.

Yes, I tried unplugging them and seeing if it went back to normal and no. Still not working.
Switches 49-51 work but 52-64 all aren’t working.

I tested the switches direct on the CPU with a jumper from J1 to J6/J12 and showed it as active in the switch test. Which to my understanding that it’s not a issue with the CPU board.

Opto board underneath? (520-5252-04) since this is the first switch on that row that doesn’t work? (H)#52
59AD1B78-2465-4BA6-8373-4936193D1749 (resized).jpeg

#4 36 days ago

I haven’t been able to find a schematic for that opto board, but from a web search it appears that only has four optos. If that board was the issue I’d think only four switches would not be working, but you report more than that as having issues.

Have you verified that you have proper power voltage at the opto board? Is there a game-specific test for hulk motor/switches that you’ve tried? If you remove the opto board and interrupt the optos with a business card or similar do any register?

#5 35 days ago

Yeah, from what I can understand from what I’ve read, with Stern’s switch matrix that of one switch isn’t making proper
Connection, the whole remaining switches won’t work after that. Is that correct thinking?

I removed to opto board tried the sensors switches and nothing. All switches 52-64 not working. 52-55 are opto switches on the board 520-5252-04.

I’m also thinking it could be lack of power to the opto board as well like you mentioned. That’s what I’m gonna try next.

#6 35 days ago

If 49-51 are not working it seems more like a broken wire since 57-58, 62 and 63 are regular switches or standups wich also aren't working besides your HULK opto's.

I would check the green yellow wire for continuity towards your CPU, must be broken off somewhere

#7 35 days ago
Quoted from Scosti:

Yeah, from what I can understand from what I’ve read, with Stern’s switch matrix that of one switch isn’t making proper
Connection, the whole remaining switches won’t work after that. Is that correct thinking?

This is true in the case of a broken wire and applies to all games with a switch matrix. Switches are wired from one switch to the other. When the chain is broken, all downstream switches will not work.

In this case, the first few switches in the row that work are on the Loki lock sensor board 520-6780-01. The first non-working switch is on the Hulk 4-bank drop target board 520-5252-04. Re-seat the connectors on both these boards. See if anything changes (probably not).

While you are looking at these connectors, notice the green with yellow wire in the connector. I suspect there will be 2 green with yellow wires crimped into one of the positions on both these connectors. If there is not, look for a loose green with yellow wire in the area.

#8 34 days ago

Hey Everyone! Was a broken wire the Green-Yellow. Just followed from the working 51 to the non working 52 in line.

Now all switches are working.

Thanks again everyone for your help!!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 65.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
$ 16.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
5,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Jackson, MICHIGAN
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside