Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Ballsofsteel
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1091.JPG
TopRamen_Beef.gif

#1 4 years ago

So, I love my Avengers Pro and all, the layout is different than most pins and the theme is awesome. I'm stuck though, in my house it's out with the old in with the new. I recently got a chance to play a Metallica Pro and I really enjoyed it (a little more than Avengers) and I'm not a big Metallica fan I enjoy a couple of there songs but that's it, to where Avengers and the whole superhero theme I do enjoy but the game is starting to wear on me. I need some advice should I sell my Avengers Pro for a Metallica Pro or am I making a mistake. Here's how I rate the Theme over the Game:
Avengers Theme > Pinball Machine
Metallica Theme < Pinball Machine

#2 4 years ago

Metallica's a better playing game by a mile. I would switch them out if I was you.

#3 4 years ago

I have owned both sold av. Metallica better overall package. If avengers build quality were equal it would be dead even to me.

#4 4 years ago

I loved the Avengers theme but the gameplay did little for me. I'm not a fan of some of the shots or the feel of the machine in genearal. I played it on location a few times so take it how you want. That being said, The Avengers is a dream theme for me. The game just didn't grab me.

I feel like Metallica wins in most categories. Even if you are not a big fan of the band I'm sure MET would be a better game for you in the long run.

#5 4 years ago

Never owned Avengers, but I have a decent time playing it when I do, but would not need to own it at all.
Metallica wins in every category (EASILY) other than I guess Super heroes are better than metallica?; not a fan of either so toss up.

#6 4 years ago

I own a Metallica Pro. I formerly owned a Avengers Pro. The Metallica Pro by 4 1/2 light years which is the distance to the nearest star.

#7 4 years ago

Get a Met pro. Awesome game.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from jamesdeloris:

I own a Metallica Pro. I formerly owned a Avengers Pro. The Metallica Pro by 4 1/2 light years which is the distance to the nearest star (not counting our sun).

#9 4 years ago

Avengers is cool but MET is much better.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballZach:

I enjoy a couple of there songs but that's it, to where Avengers and the whole superhero theme I do enjoy but the game is starting to wear on me. I need some advice should I sell my Avengers Pro for a Metallica Pro or am I making a mistake. Here's how I rate the Theme over the Game:

I do not know how many pinball machines you have . But if you can keep the Avengers I would. It is so unique . The black widow ramp vs. The snake mouth . Each shot is placed in the same position respectively . Just one example of a shot. Black widow Ramp is better IMO. I think you will miss Avengers. And as the collector in me it was Gomez last design pinball. Can you add Metallica ? Or do you need to rob Peter to pay Paul ? If so than go for the change. If not add Metallica both of best worlds .

#11 4 years ago

I'm the only guy on Earth who likes Avengers better (PRO preferred also over Premium).
But, Metallica is worth more, constructed better, and far-preferred by the general public.

I think there are other recent titles that are far better than both pins.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

I'm the only guy on Earth who likes Avengers better

No . You are not alone .

#13 4 years ago

I had a similar dilemma last night:

For dinner my choices were Ramen Soup or a Filet Mignon

In case anyone needs help Metallica is the Filet. There may be some Avengers lovers out there that choose the Ramen but it's cause they are hippy vegetarians.

Metallica Pro is one of the best Pro model Sterns and is a great game! I don't like Metallica as a band but songs are good selections that get you pumped and game itself is top notch!

#14 4 years ago

Are we talking top ramen or actual ramen (like Tonkotsu spicey garlic ramen?) real ramen is amazing

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Never owned Avengers, but I have a decent time playing it when I do, but would not need to own it at all.
Metallica wins in every category (EASILY) other than I guess Super heroes are better than metallica?; not a fan of either so toss up.

Lars would kick Hulks ass

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

Nope, there's one other guy..

#17 4 years ago

I know I'm in the minority here, but...

I keep reading how "cheap" Avengers is, but I just traded out a MetLE for a Hulk, and I just don't see it. I could not justify keeping the high priced Met due to the horribly cheap looking Sparky toy. The lack of shaker. The pop bumper placement and cheap post to send the ball there, etc. I honestly feel like the Hulk has a lot more for the money and I saved $3K+ to boot.

Now that's not to say that Met is a bad game. It is fun, and I may look to add a pro to the collection some day. But I am a huge Met fan.

Op, if you're an Avengers fan and don't really care for Met, I would think long and hard about that swap.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

Lars would kick Hulks ass

I don't know aboot that...I've seen the "Monster" Doc...Lars wasn't so tough then. I think the Hulk could easily outwit him at least

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from anubis2night:

Are we talking top ramen or actual ramen (like Tonkotsu spicey garlic ramen?) real ramen is amazing

We are talking Nissin 10 cent bag of Top Ramen.

TopRamen_Beef.gif

#20 4 years ago

Then I agree no comparison

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from jkdblaze:

I could not justify keeping the high priced Met due to the horribly cheap looking Sparky toy. The lack of shaker.

WTF? Sparky is awesome! One of the best looking Stern sculpts in ages. Great for custom paint, but works just fine stock. And adding a shaker is easy. I mean, obviously you didn't want the game, and that's fine, but those are funny reasons to me.

I enjoy the shaker in my LE for the record.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

WTF? Sparky is awesome! One of the best looking Stern sculpts in ages.

It's not for everyone...but I can't see how you could call it "cheap looking." Hulk looks good too though.

#23 4 years ago

I love Metallica music. Big fan of their classic stuff. I think I'll def own one one day. I have very limited time on the pin so I can't judge it. The Avengers theme is a winner for me. I think Hulk is fun as a bash toy and man, that cube mod by Gio is just beautiful when it spins.

#24 4 years ago

I own AV Pro and METLE. As much as I love my AV I would also have to agree that MET is the better pin overall for the average player. With that said I think AV is the better bang for the buck as there is probably close to a $1500-$2K difference in price now.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

No . You are not alone .

There are 2 of you.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

WTF? Sparky is awesome! One of the best looking Stern sculpts in ages. Great for custom paint, but works just fine stock. And adding a shaker is easy. I mean, obviously you didn't want the game, and that's fine, but those are funny reasons to me.
I enjoy the shaker in my LE for the record.

I'm just referring to the actual quality of the toy itself. I pulled mine out to replace it with a Donny painted one. But the paint application and overall quality seemed lacking to me. Now, if they were able to make them look more like the Donnie version in a mass produced item, I would have been much happier.

I mean, look at some of the cheap toys for sale in the toy aisle, and you'll find some fantastic sculpts and paint application there.

And, as far as the shaker, it should have been included. It seemed like a lot of the BOM went to Metallica and Dirty Donny, which is fine, and created a fantasticly artistic product. But the pro just seemed like a much better deal because of it.

#27 4 years ago

I'm in the minority, prefer Avengers. Have owned it over two years, no intention to sell. Love the difficulty and theme. I've played Metallica plenty of times, it's good too, just not something I want own. Very similar to IM layout, which I have already.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

Quoted from RobKnapp:

No . You are not alone .

Quoted from jkdblaze:

I know I'm in the minority here, but...

Quoted from Lermods:

I'm in the minority, prefer Avengers.

This minority is getting really crowded!

#29 4 years ago

I believe the dirty donnie sparky's were painted by donnie. Overall paint apps will vary depending on where they come from. There's only a handful of companies for toys that I would work with for final paint applications.

I am enjoying the custom sparky's ans may end up having mike done or doing it myself (though it seems like it would be great to have it customized by buddy or artist I dig)

As for plastic qaulity I would think they'd be similar (avengers and metallica) as stern uses the same vendors who use the same production materials and production techniques.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from jkdblaze:

I mean, look at some of the cheap toys for sale in the toy aisle, and you'll find some fantastic sculpts and paint application there.

Eh. I collect modern Star Wars figures, and have 2 kids. I'm pretty familiar with the paint applications on toys, and they're not that great. On the more "adult" sculpts, sure. But those are more expensive collectibles, not pinball toys. I can't really fault Stern for that stuff.

Of course I took mine out and gave it a much better paint job, so hey ...

The sculpt itself is great though, totally captures the feel of the playfield art.

#31 4 years ago

The Star Wars black line 1:12 is improved but still not superb. The new japanese 1:12 look nice but haven't sampled one yet. A few toys in the $40 range arent bad (the four horseman collection is great) the 1:6 stuff can be really great but even those very by company and release

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from jkdblaze:

This minority is getting really crowded!

Add me to the minority, really love Avengers.

Only have a handful of games on a MET Pro but just playing it, I didn't get the impression that the build quality was any better... and after only a few games, I can't provide much advise on which gameplay is better...

That being said, I did have the chance to look under the hood of an Avengers pro and it looks and feels really cheap compared to the LE that I have. I mean, do the stamped metal playfield stands cost so much that Stern has to use a couple glorified long bolts as the playfield stands on the Pro? We are talking about a $5000 product here, right?

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Eh. I collect modern Star Wars figures, and have 2 kids. I'm pretty familiar with the paint applications on toys, and they're not that great. On the more "adult" sculpts, sure. But those are more expensive collectibles, not pinball toys. I can't really fault Stern for that stuff.
Of course I took mine out and gave it a much better paint job, so hey ...
The sculpt itself is great though, totally captures the feel of the playfield art.

Well, Mcfarlane has been doing "cheap" toys for a long time now with great paint apps. Below is a picture of my BSD figure I replaced with a Mcfarlane figure. I'm not saying Sparky is as bad as the hot mess that is the original Dracula. But he does remind me of him in that both were completely custom figures done by people who are better at designing pinball machines than making toys.

IMG_1091.JPG

#34 4 years ago

It's funny because a McFarlane figure in the toy world would be considered mid To somewhat low qaulity (in most cases). In fact when mcfarlanes line started to go downhill they lost their major talent who went off on their own to become Four Hoursemen Toys.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from anubis2night:

It's funny because a McFarlane figure in the toy world would be considered mid To somewhat low qaulity (in most cases). In fact when mcfarlanes line started to go downhill they lost their major talent who went off on their own to become Four Hoursemen Toys.

I haven't really kept up with them as a company. I mainly know them from their early Spawn line. And way back then, their toys were a bit of a game changer on the toy aisle. At least compared to the cheap poorly painted junk that was primarily being produced at the time.

But, their BSD figures are cool as hell in my opinion (not sure what year they came out).

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

I mean, do the stamped metal playfield stands cost so much that Stern has to use a couple glorified long bolts as the playfield stands on the Pro? We are talking about a $5000 product here, right?

Yeah. I hate that they did this, really cheaped out on pro models.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from jkdblaze:

I haven't really kept up with them as a company. I mainly know them from their early Spawn line. And way back then, their toys were a bit of a game changer on the toy aisle. At least compared to the cheap poorly painted junk that was primarily being produced at the time.
But, their BSD figures are cool as hell in my opinion (not sure what year they came out).

Yeah their stuff in the 90's got me back into collecting toys then there wasa sharp decline in quality. I started collecting again about 5 years ago with designer toys and high end collectibles

#38 4 years ago

MET is one the best, if not the best game Stern has produced in years, nuff said.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

That being said, I did have the chance to look under the hood of an Avengers pro and it looks and feels really cheap compared to the LE that I have. I mean, do the stamped metal playfield stands cost so much that Stern has to use a couple glorified long bolts as the playfield stands on the Pro? We are talking about a $5000 product here, right?

Let's not spread bad info again on AV in general. That is not just AV so saying it looks and feels cheap due to that is not a fair argument unless you say that about every pro (MET too). The pro is made with nearly all the same parts. Ramps are made the same, the PF is basically the same, Hulk is the same, etc. Only real downgrade is it came with incandescent bulbs stock. That could be looked at as a pro though as you can color match inserts, you just lost the cool GI effects though. Avengers itself (LE and Pro) has the cheap feel to it over most of Sterns more recent titles. This is mainly caused by the ramps, which ironically hold up much better than the nicer looking clear molded ramps.

#40 4 years ago

I'm not the biggest fan of either table but have played both a bunch. With that being said MET is a far better Pin than Avengers.

its also kinda funny that i have won both translites in one of the local leagues

#41 4 years ago

The avengers pro has plastic ball guides, and plastic everything. Need to make adjustements for the black widow ramp straight out of the factory to function. IMO one of the cheaper pros released by stern.

compared to metallica pro? no competition.

gameplay is fun, and code is fun imo on avengers though.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside