• Latest reply 11 years ago by pinmanguy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

avengers.jpg
image.jpg
There are 136 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 11 years ago

god forbid if someone posts something that other people dont agree with.....

#102 11 years ago

I guess I don't price my pins on other opinions so its hard for me to make that connection. I ask what I ask and I could care less what others think of a game when it comes to pricing. I need to learn to stop opening my mouth. I post to provoke discussion, I like getting others input, I just need to be a little more careful as I didn't realize people get butt hurt so easily.

#103 11 years ago
Quoted from inhomearcades:

I just need to be a little more careful as I didn't realize people get butt hurt so easily.

Again I have no idea what site you've been posting on, because clearly it's not this one.

#104 11 years ago

I think your just green with envy......

#105 11 years ago

I guess I don't price my pins on other opinions so its hard for me to make that connection. I ask what I ask and I could care less what others think of a game when it comes to pricing. I need to learn to stop opening my mouth. I post to provoke discussion, I like getting others input, I just need to be a little more careful as I didn't realize people get butt hurt so easily.

I think the only thing wrong here was your first post. All you had to do was give a few reasons why you didn't like it. I have no issue with someone not liking or thinking a machine i have is garbage, just tell me why you think that, which you did. And I gave you a thumbs down on your first post, but a thumbs up on the subsequent post.

#106 11 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

Haven't played it enough to evaluate whether is has value or not as a game to play, but this I can say, it looked and felt cheap, more like a toy than a pinball machine, simply not worth any where near what they are charging for them. I certainly hope the LE's are better!

+1

I played a few games on a new pro recently and my strongest impressions were: tons of stuck balls in multiple locations and, boy, this thing is made cheaply. The pro is shockingly cheap with its flimsy plastics. I mean, ironman looks like a tank compared to avengers. Gomez needs to go back to a designer position only. Having him design the "pin" while he designs other pins, as well as being Vice President isn't working. Avengers needed more time in development, and it shows. I'm sure he logs many hours at Stern, but he can't do everything. Why not have Borg work security at Stern and have Richie do the accounting in addition to their regular positions? Seriously, if Stern is cutting corners by putting more plastic and/or cheaper plastic in all their games, I will re-think buying any new pins they produce like Avengers pro.

#107 11 years ago
Quoted from gamer1974:

The pro is shockingly cheap with its flimsy plastics. I mean, ironman looks like a tank compared to Avengers.

Can someone who owns AV Pro get a micrometer, and post the thickness of these new plastics?

#108 11 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

an someone who owns AV Pro get a micrometer, and post the thickness of these new plastics?

It's more about the replacement of molded ramps with ramps made from 3 strips of plastic forming a box.

#109 11 years ago

I found Avengers to be a one shot game. Of course it doesn't have to be a one shot game because your entitled to make any shots you want in any game but, I found shooting the Hawkeye ramp was the only shot really required to get a decent score in this game. You can start Loki repeatedly and you can start Hawkeye vs Blackwidow repeatedly. The value of the Hawkeye shot increases and is locked in for the rest of the game I believe once completed which is also compliments the shoot Hawkeye all day strategy. Using this strategy also keeps you away from the bumper drain I've heard about although on these machines didn't seem to be an issue. The only other shot I went for was Hulk to start Hulk MB. I've only played the game six times during the Houston launch party but unless the rules change, I can't imagine any of the top players doing anything other than shooting Hawkeye all day. I still thought it was an enjoyable game though but not worth the price they are asking imo.

#110 11 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Can someone who owns AV Pro get a micrometer, and post the thickness of these new plastics?

I don't think it's the thickness that's the issue, it's that there are many long plastics without enough mounting points to keep them rigid. There's a big long plastic that I think only has mounts on each end...so the whole plastic wobbles. If it had 2 or 3 more rivets & brackets, it wouldn't do that. The big ship plastic on the left looks like it's only mounted at the bottom...so it flops about because it's not held securely at the other end.

#111 11 years ago

<<The value of the Hawkeye shot increases and is locked in for the rest of the game I believe once completed>>

--Pinball News review said there is a 2x shot multiplier the player receives after collecting each Avenger (ie. completing Hawkeye), but it only lasts for the rest of the ball--not the rest of the game.

--Also, Avengers modes must be started/qualified first in single ball play or else you won't be able to collect any of them during Loki MB--no matter how often you start Loki MB.

--The LE adds a cross-over ramp which helps a little from being able to keep shooting the Hawkeye loop/ramp many times in a row and keep locking balls back to back.

#112 11 years ago

Read the entire thread, I did give a review.

Then make the first post a review. Don't "troll" for replies by posting like that.

#113 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Thats strange; i have 100+ plays on it and never once seen a stuck ball in those 2 locations. You must be playing the super limited edition version.

Yep, out of the box at APE convention.
Also, I'm not the only one that has had this happen to them, so this is not a so super LE edition.
Fact is, that I have games 15+ years old that the ball doesn't get stuck in misc. places.

#114 11 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

The only thing that improved was my level of inebriation.

What was your drink of choice? Depending on your answer I may or may not give credence to your claim.

#115 11 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I have only played a few games on the LE, but I have played about 40 games on the pro. I currently have the grand champ score on a popular machine on location. I think the game is just ok and I do think the rules are pretty decent. I do respect the rather original layout and the hawkeye shot is slick. What I didn't like, aside from the music, was the problems I had with the game which others have mentioned.
-Balls getting stuck under the Hulk's left arm all the time, usually at the worst moments when something is counting down. I have had the ball search kick out the ball only to have it bounce right back into the arm as many as 3 times in a row.
-Plunging the ball is ridiculous. The ramp is so flimsy that it regularly rattles around and rolls back down. One time it rattled around so long in the vibrating plastic that it came back down and gave me a free lock.
-Slower balls through the Hawkeye shot get hung up in the top right corner on their way around.
-Lots of airballs going over the flippers or the lane guides and draining.
-Poor visibility of the inlanes.
-Balls ejecting from the pops area and out the ironman lane are extremely dangerous and you have to deal with this frequently.
-Balls bounce out of the saucer to start Hulk multiball.
I think that while you may be able to get over these issues, you can do a lot better for the $. If you haven't had some of these problems on your game, I'm happy for you.

Those too.

I'm no fan boy of certain themes or designers,
I like a well executed game from code to layout to art and sound.

If a game is $4500, to me, it should be a home-run &
not just a decent theme with some ok sound effects and ok art and a funky toy...

#116 11 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

It's more about the replacement of molded ramps with ramps made from 3 strips of plastic forming a box.

PinballNews had a good explanation for this:

"Both layers have copious amounts of artwork on them which would be much harder to achieve with a regular vacuum-formed ramp."

#117 11 years ago

Avengers is garbage

avengers.jpgavengers.jpg

#118 11 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Avengers is garbage

Did you get the memo..?? That is one funny movie!

#119 11 years ago

um yeah... I'm going to need you to come into work saturday...

#120 11 years ago

I played it and would agree, Not a very well made game. I thought this would be kickass game but no such luck. One look at the ramps and I said what the f%#k, what a cheap way to make ramps. I would hate to see it with some plays on it, It will ruin all the plastics with ball trail. Xmen beats this machine by a long run IMHO. Very cheap machine no matter what is said go look at it and play some games on it and you will see.

#121 11 years ago
Quoted from Brtlkat:

Xmen beats this machine by a long run IMHO.

Yes X-Men is my overall favorite-best Stern ever made-IMO-but I have Avengers right next to it. It is actually really nice having two totally different games with great layout next to each other. Apples and oranges-and I happen to love both(:

#122 11 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Yes X-Men is my overall favorite-best Stern ever made-IMO-but I have Avengers right next to it. It is actually really nice having two totally different games with great layout next to each other. Apples and oranges-and I happen to love both(:

Yea I have both. Xmen doesn't get touched because of the code...and we'll because of avengers/ACDC. I'm pretty positive avengers would still be my go to game even with outstanding xmen software. Avengers (LE) really is awesome and fun...IF you know how to play. Xmen is just a pretty light show for my 4 mo old son at this point.

As far as the avengers ramps are concerned, this....

Quoted from swampfire:

PinballNews had a good explanation for this:
"Both layers have copious amounts of artwork on them which would be much harder to achieve with a regular vacuum-formed ramp."

And this...

Quoted from Rarehero:

I don't think it's the thickness that's the issue, it's that there are many long plastics without enough mounting points to keep them rigid. There's a big long plastic that I think only has mounts on each end...so the whole plastic wobbles. If it had 2 or 3 more rivets & brackets, it wouldn't do that. The big ship plastic on the left looks like it's only mounted at the bottom...so it flops about because it's not held securely at the other end.

I honestly think the ramps look sweet especially with the color changing GI. But yea, they feel flimsy with a closer look. As long as they hold up, I don't see the problem, I never had an issue with these style ramps on TF.

#123 11 years ago

Don't you know that you cant say anything negative about Stern games. They are all awesome regardless of how cheap they are made or how bad the game sucks or how incomplete the code is and will never get fixed.

#124 11 years ago
Quoted from Brtlkat:

I played it and would agree, Not a very well made game. I thought this would be kickass game but no such luck. One look at the ramps and I said what the f%#k, what a cheap way to make ramps. I would hate to see it with some plays on it, It will ruin all the plastics with ball trail. Xmen beats this machine by a long run IMHO. Very cheap machine no matter what is said go look at it and play some games on it and you will see.

There are metal ramps in the game (black widow, back of Hawkeye loop) that handle the upwards force of the ball. This is better than the plastic ramps on Tron and X-men imo. The plastic "ramps" that everyone is complaining about are for the most part just guided return lanes, not dealing with a lot of force. Time will only tell how well they will last.

The only area that is really problematic imo is the shooter/launch area. Would definitely like it to be more ridgid.

A very fun machine, with a unique layout and with some very nice design features, not a very cheap machine, no matter what is said.

#125 11 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

There are metal ramps in the game (black widow, back of Hawkeye loop) that handle the upwards force of the ball. This is better than the plastic ramps on Tron and X-men imo. The plastic "ramps" that everyone is complaining about are for the most part just guided return lanes, not dealing with a lot of force. Time will only tell how well they will last.
The only area that is really problematic imo is the shooter/launch area. Would definitely like it to be more ridgid.
A very fun machine, with a unique layout and with some very nice design features, not a very cheap machine, no matter what is said.

As usual, Paul is on the money. The metal guides for the loops are also designed perfectly. The game can shoot extremely fast. Just last night I hit back to back CA shots into a HE shot to IM into BW off the CA skill shot - Was amazing. The game definitely has so many stages to its layout and rules. Similar to LoTR and not as linear as some other recent sterns.

#126 11 years ago

I have only had the chance to play the pro version, and it was in an arcade setting. There were a few issues right out of the box (or soon thereafter) including a loose cosmic cube that almost fell off, one bad switch, and the "lock" area as well. After these things were taken care of it seemed to be pretty solid as far as the hardware went. Like any pinball machine stuff like this is to be expected. If these things keep happening then it will suck. The updated software keeps the ball from getting stuck in the hulk area for the most part, if it does get hung up there its very brief so not really a big deal. I didn't like the fact that you cant see the inlane inserts or the top lane inserts properly. Also the rules seemed very cookie cutter but i found that during play it was fun. If you read the rules you'll be kinda down on them, but playing and hitting some of those tough shots in a good groove its a lot of fun. Avengers continuing to run and multiballs stacking help so much! The shots seem to be tough but just play a while to get the hang of them and give the game a break. i thought the pro was pretty cool, hulk isn't the best toy in the world, neither is the cosmic cube, both are fun and interactive though which is great! Cool game to play in the wild, can't say yea or nea on buying a pro for 4k but its a fun new game.

#127 11 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

haven't pulled this apart yet, but a quick look would indicate there is nothing under the plastic that the ball hits when being launched. That is to say there is no support on the side closest to the cabinet. This causes that plastic to torque/twist slightly. Was wondering if there would be someway to mount a rubber post or support under there.

#128 11 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

The plastic "ramps" that everyone is complaining about are for the most part just guided return lanes, not dealing with a lot of force.

One more thought about this - I bet they are much cheaper to replace than the vacuum-molded ramps. I paid $175 to replace the right ramp on IM, ouch.

#129 11 years ago

In the end wether they feel cheaper or not the new games play awesome and sorry to say but they make the Williams feel very old. I love them for what they are but its night and day to play one and then the other.
Stern is making some very fun games.

#130 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

sorry to say but they make the Williams feel very old.

They definitely make the william's look old. Stern has been making some very pretty games of late. This new style of ramp has its positives and negatives. I think a few more secured points would make them feel more solid for sure, but I really like how the ramps have printed graphics on them. They aren't perfect and I hope Stern and George Gomez are a bit more mindful of the way the printed graphics obscure the playfield in the future. The most infuriating part of playing Avengers is having to move my head all over the place to see what inserts are lit.

#131 11 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

Agreed, similar plastic runs to the inlane from BW, but it's fine, just seems to be the shooter lane where its a long stretch and right where the ball crosses to lock for Loki. The rest feels just fine.

I do wish there were more objects as in lotr or tspp, rather than plastic displays, which are hard to decipher anyway. Other than that my biggest gripe on this machine are the completely blocked views of the o and the k inlanes and the top above the pop bumpers, but even lotr has some blocked views around balrod and the shooter lane.

It's a tough game, and if I was pumping dollar after dollar into it, I might be mad at how hard it can be. I'd say I have a good game on 3 ball every 10 games, can be brutal.

#132 11 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

Touché. Great point. Really puts the argument in perspective.

You can't blame someone for ignorance that they can't help. They play a poorly set up or broken game on location and then spew. And a pro at that, which clearly isn't the equal of the LE. But you can blame them for self righteous vitriol...and I do.

#133 11 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Agreed, similar plastic runs to the inlane from BW, but it's fine, just seems to be the shooter lane where its a long stretch and right where the ball crosses to lock for Loki. The rest feels just fine.
I do wish there were more objects as in lotr or tspp, rather than plastic displays, which are hard to decipher anyway. Other than that my biggest gripe on this machine are the completely blocked views of the o and the k inlanes and the top above the pop bumpers, but even lotr has some blocked views around balrod and the shooter lane.
It's a tough game, and if I was pumping dollar after dollar into it, I might be mad at how hard it can be. I'd say I have a good game on 3 ball every 10 games, can be brutal.

Exactly! I've totally complained about blocked sight lines and inlanes. And my personal favorite - NOT! - not being able to see the Thor drops. And I own the game people. And I still think its RAD! Because its fun fun fun fun...and ballz hard! It's thrilling to play and keeps you coming back for more. It is what it is. You think it should be more for the price? Ok. Don't buy it, or buy it and complain that it should be more for the price, but saying the game sucks and isnt fun is disingenuous...I actually haven't heard anyone that owns an LE say that the game isn't worthy of its price. I've heard them say its expensive. It is! Is it worth it? It is to me.

#134 11 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

One more thought about this - I bet they are much cheaper to replace than the vacuum-molded ramps. I paid $175 to replace the right ramp on IM, ouch.

Why did you have to replace the right ramp on IM?

#135 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

In the end wether they feel cheaper or not the new games play awesome and sorry to say but they make the Williams feel very old...

Does "feel very old" means solid like real wood furniture compared to Ikea press board. Have you lifted the playfield to do work on an Avenger Pro? It is not even feel cheap, it is cheap. I know that is just the way it is these day in the "disposable era". But I want to see any of these games take a beating on route like a T2 and have anything left in the end.

#136 11 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Does "feel very old" means solid like real wood furniture compared to Ikea press board. Have you lifted the playfield to do work on an Avenger Pro? It is not even feel cheap, it is cheap. I know that is just the way it is these day in the "disposable era". But I want to see any of these games take a beating on route like a T2 and have anything left in the end.

That's my concern too, these machines may be great in home use but they will further the trend of route games being constantly broken and not standing up to any serious game play

They've now replaced the lotr near me with an avengers pro and already the plunger is too weak to make it all the way to the skill shot most of the time, can't judge much else as the legs are completely flat, the back isn't higher then that front at all. The ramp shots are almost impossible like this as there's no speed on the ball. Not a fault with the game just an OP fail.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 259.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

4,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
White Oak, PA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 136 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avengers-pro-garbage/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.