• Latest reply 11 years ago by Rarehero
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sammy-sosa-kiss.jpg
Jack.jpg
There are 196 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 11 years ago
Quoted from Firebaall:

The first time I got under the hood of a new Stern Transformer's pin.... all I could think of was that old Wendy's commercial.

Now that's funny!

So what i do know is this....when we actually have something to compare Stern to, in our hands, that's when the rubber hits the road....and many pin heads are anal, detailed (whiny?) and I'm gueesing when we can do the hands on double check test of both Stern is going to be in trouble OR he has to step it up further...

That said, I love my LOTR LE that I paid 5200 for and my SM and I will probably let them rape me on a Star Trek.....but its why I didn't buy any of the recent pins, although AC/DC premium will be in the house at some point!

#152 11 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

But some are coming in with product advertised as sub $5k for complete everything, including code. I know, we will see. But they are saying $5k gets you a complete machine. If they deliver...it will be much harder to pay an additional $2,000 for NOTHING more.

Bingo.......and "if they deliver" is a big ????.....what do you get for the 5k, 7k or 10k you spend, simple as that....and when people can clearly see the difference and have choices....then presumably they will choose "wisely" for whatever floats their boat!

When you get a "restored" pin listed for 15k from Hep, Keller or whomever its because the sh*t cost a lot of labor time and improved parts quality.....

#153 11 years ago
Quoted from RWH:

I have one problem with stern.......never, and I mean NEVER, do they finish code, incomplete games are thier signature. What year was the last stern to hit the market complete, no updates???????? I don't know the correct answer but I'd venture not since mabe 1990.

I agree, their code releases have been an issue lately (looking at you X-men). However, modern machines will get software updates. Lots of B/W had multiple ROM (software) releases. Having a new machine release, with not getting any software updates ever would be a bad thing imo.

#154 11 years ago

No reason to blame Stern when we continue to buy these machines. I, for one hope the collectors keep pumping money into Stern so we will at least be guaranteed new games. If you don't like the prices, vote with your wallet and wait for a used machine to come up for sale. This is what I'm doing for AC/DC, but unfortunately I'm still waiting.

#155 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

So what i do know is this....when we actually have something to compare Stern to, in our hands, that's when the rubber hits the road....and many pin heads are anal, detailed (whiny?) and I'm gueesing when we can do the hands on double check test of both Stern is going to be in trouble OR he has to step it up further...

Great pinball machines are more than just a sum of their parts though. That's why some DEs are worth more than some B/Ws. I haven't played Avengers or Xmen but I've never once been bothered by the build quality of my AC/DC. It's one of my favorite games ever.

I haven't gotten a chance to play WOZ yet and have no idea how it stacks up gameplay wise. But if it has that magic "something" that the great games have, combined with the superior build quality, then yes, Stern will need to up their game.

Exciting times indeed.

#156 11 years ago
Quoted from krupa:

I haven't gotten a chance to play WOZ yet and have no idea how it stacks up gameplay wise. But if it has that magic "something" that the great games have, combined with the superior build quality, then yes, Stern will need to up their game.

Exciting times indeed.

Agreed, gotta play great or it won't matter....

#157 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Bottom line, any maker, any theme, any anything.

#158 11 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Well, I think the shots are fun, so we'll see how it goes with finished code. I haven't played it with any substantial code present.

#159 11 years ago
Quoted from Firebaall:

Lift up the playfield of your brand new Stern LE

i can do this. No problem.

Quoted from Firebaall:

Lift up the playfield of JJP's machine.

Sorry but this can't be done because machines don't exist yet. My new JJP machine is still theoretical as it has been for the last two years.

Now if you're trying to make some point based on quality of components, that's not very relevant. First, the stern games are not known for breaking or wearing out faster then other games. So the quality is as good as it needs to be. Second, you're paying for more then just the assembled parts. I suppose if you buy a copy of windows you're upset that the cost of the disk it came in looks just as cheap as a $7.00 music cd? A lot more goes into making a good game than heavy parts.

#160 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

i can do this. No problem.

Sorry but this can't be done because machines don't exist yet. My new JJP machine is still theoretical as it has been for the last two years.
Now if you're trying to make some point based on quality of components, that's not very relevant. First, the stern games are not known for breaking or wearing out faster then other games. So the quality is as good as it needs to be. Second, you're paying for more then just the assembled parts. I suppose if you buy a copy of windows you're upset that the cost of the disk it came in looks just as cheap as a $7.00 music cd? A lot more goes into making a good game than heavy parts.

Maybe Jack will throw in some cash in the goodie bag for the long wait.....ahhh maybe not.

#161 11 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

That price is high as compared to what early buyers paid. The blue LE can probably still be had for less than $7000 shipped.
People act as if these new games will not be working or holding up in ten years. They said the same thing about the B/W games and they still seem be plentiful.
Regarding maintenance, the LEDs will certainly hold up longer than incandescent by a good amount on average. That is a big savings on maintenance by itself.

Led holding up longer than incandescents remains to be seen. I have two games with leds and have had to replace more bulbs in them than 5 of my other games with incandescents and this was in a very short period of time. I've replaced one incandescent bulb in a 1 year period and replaced 19 leds in the course of 6 months out of those two games. This is my experience with them

#162 11 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

STREET LEVEL GOTLIEB WHAT WAS IT?
Let me get you the most common google answer
"Street level" games were an experiment by Gottlieb towards designing a simplier, single level (no ramps), slightly smaller and cheaper game. They did not sell very well, and only six models
where made.
I have owned my fair share of Freddies and SMB and Black hole and haunted house.
Sterns boardset by far is far FAR FAR superior to anything we have seen to date.

Well, it is true that "street level" Gottlieb games were simpler in design and cheaper in price, being around $1700 or so in 1990, as well as being discounted even lower after a time.

Regarding their quality, I would rate their parts as far superior to a new Stern game with the exception of the cabinet material. I have some "street level" Gottlieb games and new Sterns, no comparison with wire and metal gauge, fasteners, PCBs, connectors, it is not even close. Gottlieb quality exceeds Stern easily.

#163 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Routed games break. Doesn't matter who the manufacturer is. If the op doesn't take care of them, they will look and play shitty.
It's all about the ops! Pinball is physical....it is what it is. Put a WOZ on location and don't maintain it...it's gonna muck up like every other game out there.

I agree that there are far more examples of routed games in poor condition than those in excellent shape. I don't think Clay was talking about normal maintenance as much as parts and build quality.

As a hobby operator that has several LEs on location, I have seen firsthand the issues that Clay describes. Like it or not, these newer Stern LEs ARE breaking more often than is reasonable and the parts just don't hold up. You can't say I don't maintain the games. I'll bet my games look and play as nice on location as many of the games people have at home. Every week I have the playfields up fixing something else. Broken coil tabs, broken wires, PCB issues, trough problems, blown transistors, and other mechanical issues. On the flip side, I haven't had near as many issues with Sterns made more than a couple years ago. Games like Wheel of Fortune, Simpson's, Avatar, those have held up much better.

If you guys haven't seen these problems yet, you probably will. It just may take more games being played before you do. I love the gameplay of ACDC LE and Avengers LE, just wish they didn't break so much.

#164 11 years ago
Quoted from Firebaall:

Lift up the playfield of your brand new Stern LE <insert whatever new game that's offered>. Take a GOOD look at the underside of the playfield. Take notes. Take pictures. Inspect the coils, switches, inserts, wiring, and lighting. Make a mental note, that what you see costs $7500.
Lift up the playfield of JJP's machine. Repeat the process you preformed on the new Stern. It's easy to see there's twice as much there. For the same amount of money. I can see the money in the product.

Keep in mind most people here buying NIB games aren't paying $7500 for a Stern LE or Premium. Knock $1000 or so off of that price. So - by that rationale - Sterns are $1000 or so less than a WOZ. Bargain!!!!

#165 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Keep in mind most people here buying NIB games aren't paying $7500 for a Stern LE or Premium. Knock $1000 or so off of that price. So - by that rationale - Sterns are $1000 or so less than a WOZ. Bargain!!!!

Even at $6500-$7000 it is robbery for a game with incomplete code.

#166 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm pretty sure that a Hulk LE would run right at $7k after shipping, didn't they?

#167 11 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Even at $6500-$7000 it is robbery for a game with incomplete code.

Yeah, WOZ!!!

....but yeah, X-Men's f*cked up.

AC/DC's pretty damn stylin' code-wise at the moment and the Premium is ~$6k.

Quoted from RobT:

I'm pretty sure that a Hulk LE would run right at $7k after shipping, didn't they?

Depends....but, OK...for the sake of argument, sure...shipping isn't included in WOZ's price so - I guess it's a $8k game now hehe Still $1000 more than Avengers LE.

...but yeah, sh*t's too expensive, whatchagonna do. If anyone wants to break the trend, I've got $8k cash in hand for your BBB!!!!

*crickets*

#168 11 years ago

I agree Stern should do more beta testing before release , but at least it doesnt take them over two years with broken promises-dangling the carrot in front of the rabbit. WOZ will be released- and even after years in r&d, design, and build-will still have issues-IMO

#169 11 years ago

Anybody can second guess the work and effort of others, this adds little to no value in my opinion. Saying or acting like you could do it better is just silly until you actually have. Nobody posting in this thread (or providing “game reviews” on YouTube) owns a pinball manufacturing company, so I seriously doubt they can speak very knowledgably about costing or what it really takes to mass produce a consumer product as complicated as a pinball machine. Stern managed to survive when everyone else crashed and burned, so they must have some inkling as to what they are doing. Do I like paying $7,500 for a NIB machine – NO, but it is what it is.

#170 11 years ago

I think we can all agree that Stern has raised their prices only because we are willing to pay them, even with "sparse" playfields and incomplete code. I personally think that $7K is ridiculous for a Hulk LE and just don't see the value in it, considering that just a few years ago the same machine would sell for $4k or so... and a year ago, $5800 or so (Tron LE, TF LE). And I think we CAN talk about value here, because this is the initial offering price, not the price of a well established collectible (like the MM for $12K reference). Totally different thing there IMO.

But we are hungry for new games and the thought that our LE might jump in price like BIBLE or Tron LE makes people not only buy one, but two or three Hulks with the hopes of making some money. Those that have been burned by TF LE or XMEN LE have learned their lesson...but some are drawn in by the shiny green armor and are hoping that the standout graphics package will make the game shoot up in price.

I wish those that bought the Hulk for $7K the best, but I'm sitting this one out or buying a pro/premium.

#171 11 years ago

With Stern at least you don't have to pay till it is released.

JJP's business model (taking deposits, instalments) broke down in my opinion when they passed their own stated deadlines a number of times. I doubt they will be able to continue this much further into the future.

The pinball community has shown a tremendous amount of good faith in supporting this venture by allowing JJP to raise capital interest free. That is understandable for a start-up venture. To try it all again with the Hobbit and beyond is a bit rich for me.

#172 11 years ago
Quoted from lukex:

JJP's business model (taking deposits, instalments) broke down in my opinion when they passed their own stated deadlines a number of times.

This new business model is not unique to JJP in any way. Crowdfunding I don't think is a trend that's going to disappear. Its been used on everything from the Pebble smart watch to Elon Musks Tesla electric cars. And to note, you could lay both those products stutters and backfires to get their products to launch on time over top of what JJP has experienced.

#173 11 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I agree Stern should do more beta testing before release , but at least it doesnt take them over two years with broken promises-dangling the carrot in front of the rabbit. WOZ will be released- and even after years in r&d, design, and build-will still have issues-IMO

We are the beta testers.

#174 11 years ago
Quoted from lukex:

With Stern at least you don't have to pay till it is released.
JJP's business model (taking deposits, instalments) broke down in my opinion when they passed their own stated deadlines a number of times. I doubt they will be able to continue this much further into the future.
The pinball community has shown a tremendous amount of good faith in supporting this venture by allowing JJP to raise capital interest free. That is understandable for a start-up venture. To try it all again with the Hobbit and beyond is a bit rich for me.

Happened with BBB as well. You have to cut JJP a little slack. Startup business. New everything. Takes time to get things off the ground. If games don't get ship by end of 2013 I will change my tune.

#175 11 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

We are the beta testers.

Yep, with Stern the early adopters on the machines are definitely the beta testers. With JJP the early adopters are the "funders". Both models suck.

The easiest way to avoid it is to not buy first/second run NIB if you are not willing to be one or the other. Eventually, enough people do it to where they can't sell NIB (or New in Air for JJP) machines anymore practices will either change or companies will go out of business.

#176 11 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

Every week I have the playfields up fixing something else. Broken coil tabs, broken wires, PCB issues, trough problems, blown transistors, and other mechanical issues.

I am wondering, how many games per week on average?

#177 11 years ago
Quoted from BrianBannon:

I agree that there are far more examples of routed games in poor condition than those in excellent shape. I don't think Clay was talking about normal maintenance as much as parts and build quality.
As a hobby operator that has several LEs on location, I have seen firsthand the issues that Clay describes. Like it or not, these newer Stern LEs ARE breaking more often than is reasonable and the parts just don't hold up. You can't say I don't maintain the games. I'll bet my games look and play as nice on location as many of the games people have at home. Every week I have the playfields up fixing something else. Broken coil tabs, broken wires, PCB issues, trough problems, blown transistors, and other mechanical issues. On the flip side, I haven't had near as many issues with Sterns made more than a couple years ago. Games like Wheel of Fortune, Simpson's, Avatar, those have held up much better.
If you guys haven't seen these problems yet, you probably will. It just may take more games being played before you do. I love the gameplay of ACDC LE and Avengers LE, just wish they didn't break so much.

Thanks for an honest evaluation from someone with real experience. I agree 100%

Although I don't route games, I have seen the obvious decline in quality and speaking to those that DO route games they all say the same thing.

#178 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

I think we can all agree that Stern has raised their prices only because we are willing to pay them, even with "sparse" playfields and incomplete code. I personally think that $7K is ridiculous for a Hulk LE and just don't see the value in it, considering that just a few years ago the same machine would sell for $4k or so... and a year ago, $5800 or so (TRON LE, TF LE).

But the difference is hulk LE blows TFLE and TRON LE out of the water.

#179 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

and X-Men...

#180 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Depends....but, OK...for the sake of argument, sure...shipping isn't included in WOZ's price so - I guess it's a $8k game now hehe Still $1000 more than Avengers LE.

...but yeah, sh*t's too expensive, whatchagonna do. If anyone wants to break the trend, I've got $8k cash in hand for your BBB!!!!

*crickets*

Yep, your point was definitely valid from the beginning and I wasn't disputing it. I was just curious about what the price of the Avengers LE was after shipping. I thought it was right at $7k after shipping but wasn't sure. More of a "price confirmation" post than anything I guess.

#181 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

LOL

Let's not get crazy there, big guy!

#182 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

LOL
Let's not get crazy there, big guy!

This is what I think he meant to say.

Quoted from Eskaybee:

But the difference is hulk LE blows TFLE and X-Men out of the water.

#183 11 years ago
Quoted from krupa:

Great pinball machines are more than just a sum of their parts though. That's why some DEs are worth more than some B/Ws. I haven't played Avengers or Xmen but I've never once been bothered by the build quality of my AC/DC. It's one of my favorite games ever.
Exciting times indeed.

Very good point. When Solid State pins first came into being, Gottlieb, like their EM's had the best build quality and solid "feel". Bally was 2nd with Williams third. Stern was way out in fourth with a total junk feel. Same for reliability. Bally earned the best until Flash came out and then Williams went to the top. All the operators cared about was the cashbox so us lowly service technicians had to keep them running. And Williams were hard to keep running. But, easier than Sterns that broke down all the time.

#184 11 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

I agree, their code releases have been an issue lately (looking at you X-men). However, modern machines will get software updates. Lots of B/W had multiple ROM (software) releases. Having a new machine release, with not getting any software updates ever would be a bad thing imo.

code updates out of B/W were generally patches to fix problems, not to make a game have modes and things that were supposed to be there at the start but weren't. I don't think people would complain about stern updates if the games were code complete and when a bug was found fixed via an update.

#185 11 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

code updates out of B/W were generally patches to fix problems, not to make a game have modes and things that were supposed to be there at the start but weren't. I don't think people would complain about stern updates if the games were code complete and when a bug was found fixed via an update.

You are arguing shipping "feature complete", I was commenting on "never needing an update", which RWH was espousing . I agree with shipping "feature complete", and that should be a requirement. They seem to have done that with Avengers LE. However I think even once a game has shipped new features or tweaks to existing features being added is a positive more than a negative, see recent AC/DC updates for examples, or ST:TNG's "poker with riker" mode.

#186 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

TF yes, Tron, no. IMO.

#187 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

TF yes, Tron, no. IMO.

Tron and Avengers play very differently. Avengers is deeper, Tron is faster. Tron has the third flipper, Avengers has a more interesting layout. I find myself turning on Avengers more often than Tron right now. I wouldn't say it "blows it out of the water", but I find it more satisfying.

#188 11 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

I find myself turning on Avengers more often than Tron right now.

You think maybe it being new has a little to do with that?

#189 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

You think maybe it being new has a little to do with that?

No. I have only had my Tron a few weeks longer than the Avengers, and it was down waiting for cleaning/parts and mods for most of that (was routed).

#190 11 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

I have only had my Tron a few weeks longer than the Avengers,

Gotcha.

I enjoyed playing Avengers a lot. There def seems to be "more to do" in AV...as Tron is more aboot nailing down a few things.

#191 11 years ago

This is a great thread, as it proves we are capable of having a heated discussion without resorting to insults and name calling.

#192 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

This is a great thread, as it proves we are capable of having a heated discussion without resorting to insults and name calling.

F*&( you Mod.

Ahhhh you knew it was coming

Probably got 15-20 plays on it...would lover some more.

#193 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I enjoyed playing Avengers a lot. There def seems to be "more to do" in AV...as Tron is more aboot nailing down a few things.

I agree. The shot layout in Tron is quite basic. If you can master the Quorra/Gem combo, you're pretty much gonna rock the game. Where Tron really excels is the music, lights and sounds. As far as I'm concerned, it has no equal in this regard. I love what Gomez did with the playfield on Avengers. It's unlike anything else out there. It can be a bit clunky, but it's very cool nonetheless.

#194 11 years ago

I like the layout too. Nice to have something that isn't just a rehash. I like the little touches like the placement of the shield & Hulk super jackpot targets.

#195 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I like the layout too. Nice to have something that isn't just a rehash. I like the little touches like the placement of the shield & Hulk super jackpot targets.

I love that hulk super jackpot shot. Wish the game would go more nuts when hit. But still, very satisfying shot indeed.

#196 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Gotcha.

I think I'm over my "more to do" phase...I'm in my "Play fast, lose fast, start again" phase. IMO the absolute best "more to do" games are TSPP and LOTR...it's hard to make a mode based "more to do" game that's as compelling as those...and I have those already. I thought Avengers was pretty fun but felt it might get monotonous over time like BDK or TF. That's one of the reasons I wasn't compelled to buy one, especially at the higher prices (oh crap I sound like Clay now lol)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 26.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

There are 196 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avengers-le-pinballninja-review/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.