(Topic ID: 36200)

Avengers- is it playable? Not the one I played.

By PEN

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 11 years ago

I really like the game & want one

But that was pretty funny

Quoted from NashBridgezz:

Any word on whether Stern or Gomez is aware of the ball hang-ups with Hulk? I wonder if employees at that company just ignore all these things when they play one in their break-room. That's probably a very awkward feeling though. "Did you see that, Joe? Umm, nah, I didn't see anything if you didn't." Lol.

#52 11 years ago

Any word on whether Stern or Gomez is aware of the ball hang-ups with Hulk? I wonder if employees at that company just ignore all these things when they play one in their break-room. That's probably a very awkward feeling though. "Did you see that, Joe? Umm, nah, I didn't see anything if you didn't." Lol.

I think they just ship as is, hope they can fix it, and worst case scenario blame something like "end user's line voltage" if that ends up being too difficult/costly with the resources available.

#53 11 years ago

They dont play OR test games at Stern, its not in their budget !

#54 11 years ago

I have not been able to play Avengers but I think it is a little unfair to blame the operator for all the hangups. These seem to be design issues, not completely the ops fault if they do not spend hours to dial a game in before putting it on route.

#55 11 years ago
Quoted from absocountry2:

I have not been able to play Avengers but I think it is a little unfair to blame the operator for all the hangups. These seem to be design issues, not completely the ops fault if they do not spend hours to dial a game in before putting it on route.

Actually, that's part of being an operator. You need to do exactly that, dial the game in properly before leaving it on its new location. This includes but is not limited to:
- cleaning and waxing the machine
- leveling the machine
- setting the software up, updating it if needed
- playing a few games and solving any minor issues.

This is the difference between being an operator as just being and end customer that purchases machines and tosses them on route. Just because a machine is brand new doesn't mean a lot of stuff didn't get loosened up during shipping or transportation. This is part of being an op.

In this case, the hang ups are extremely simple to solve.

#56 11 years ago

I understand that but these hang ups are not from something coming loose, they are far to common for that. The design needed a small tweak to make it perfect. Many of them going to homes need tweaks to stop them. That is a minor design flaw.

#57 11 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Hey man, 1.2 code has corrected nearly all ball hangups. No need to trash the game when the problem has pretty much been fixed.

It hasn't been fixed, people are still reporting issues. It's a physical design flaw, no amount of compensation through software is going to change that. Plus I can imagine the hulk solenoids wearing out pretty quick on location if he moves every time a ball gets near him. Next thing you know something binds, he gets stuck to one side, and balls pile up behind him. Stern may have put a band-aid on the issue now but it will come back to haunt players and operators later on.

#58 11 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Hey man, 1.2 code has corrected nearly all ball hangups. No need to trash the game when the problem has pretty much been fixed.

Maybe I am missing something here but I have been running 1.2 since the day I opened my Hulk and I still get hangups, pretty often. Sure they are only 4-5 seconds but still happening none the less.

#59 11 years ago
Quoted from Legacy:

Maybe I am missing something here but I have been running 1.2 since the day I opened my Hulk and I still get hangups, pretty often. Sure they are only 4-5 seconds but still happening none the less.

Hulk Hate flow. No Flow!!!!! Roaaaaargh!

#60 11 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

I have a very similar story...
Thursday I went to a bar called My Father's Place.
Avenge t's LE was running old code ( as was xmen and acdc preminum) and had a lot of problems...ie widow ramp causing hang ups, hulk malfunctioning ...after a lot of ball searchs and spent bout $10 really wasn't too impressed.
But then...
Friday went to markmon's and played a dialed in game, night and day difference.
Black widow shots didn't hold the ball up once and the updated code made a big difference.
Games actually fun if its set up correctly.

This is another example of why it's extremely bad to release a game with unfinished code. Don't blame the operators. When you buy a game, it shouldn't have those problems out of the box.

#61 11 years ago

Seems to be a Gomez thing if you think about it...JM hand is a pita to say the least, Transformers cannon trough jams, now Hulk Jams. He has had other little glitches in his pin designs too. Maybe there is too much time being spent on ''the pin'' and not enough time spent making a solid performing pro/le. l've put a lot of time in on both Avatar and Tron and they have always played perfect.

#62 11 years ago
Quoted from Legacy:

It's such a minor inconvenience and only happens maybe once every 20 games or so. The one you guys SHOULD be talking about is the ball getting stuck when you lower your right out lane.

That happened twice last night and there is no alternative other than to remove the glass. I might have to move the post back up.

#63 11 years ago

The comment operators are going to take the time and make sure the game plays right is very funny. It's a "quarter catcher" and that it! Ops don't give a SHIT! that's why they get the shit beat out of them. They don't care!!!!!

#64 11 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Next thing you know something binds, he gets stuck to one side, and balls pile up behind him. Stern may have put a band-aid on the issue now but it will come back to haunt players and operators later on.

Please stop speculating. Do you own the machine? The reason I ask is that when you play it on a daily basis the percentage of times you get ball hang ups is miniscule.

I have NEVER multiple balls stuck behind HULK. Also, when he raises the bar with the new software the balls all move from their stuck position. I've even gotten the ball stuck on the Black Widow ramp and HULK will move that one as well.

I'm not saying the game is perfect. I just want prospective buyers to know that the game overall has very few issues.

#65 11 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Please stop speculating. Do you own the machine? The reason I ask is that when you play it on a daily basis the percentage of times you get ball hang ups is miniscule.
I have NEVER multiple balls stuck behind HULK. Also, when he raises the bar with the new software the balls all move from their stuck position. I've even gotten the ball stuck on the Black Widow ramp and HULK will move that one as well.
I'm not saying the game is perfect. I just want prospective buyers to know that the game overall has very few issues.

I just took his words to mean as they age stuff happens. I had other machines in my head that things happen as they age. I don't think he menat it as a bash on this machine, just all machines do this and if there is a location that requires something to move to release a stuck ball, eventually it will cause more problems.

#66 11 years ago

I'm not speculating, I'm speaking from experience. Want to know what happens when a location game goes unmaintained for a few months? Stuff breaks. And the more problematic/used parts, in this case Hulk, will break sooner than others. You live in Florida, if you don't believe me see the games at Disney Quest, then tell me how you got your money's worth playing pinball. They get played constantly and receive no maintenance. Unless you think operators are caring and maintaining their games all of a sudden, modern titles will be no different.

#67 11 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

I'm not speculating, I'm speaking from experience. Want to know what happens when a location game goes unmaintained for a few months? Stuff breaks. And the more problematic/used parts, in this case Hulk, will break sooner than others. You live in Florida, if you don't believe me see the games at Disney Quest, then tell me how you got your money's worth playing pinball. They get played constantly and receive no maintenance. Unless you think operators are caring and maintaining their games all of a sudden, modern titles will be no different.

Dude, I'm freaking talking about HUO.

#68 11 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

It's such a minor inconvenience and only happens maybe once every 20 games or so. The one you guys SHOULD be talking about is the ball getting stuck when you lower your right out lane.
That happened twice last night and there is no alternative other than to remove the glass. I might have to move the post back up.

You just need to put another post into the old hole so the ball cannot go between the newly located post and the other rubber. This has been discussed already on numerous threads.

#69 11 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

You just need to put another post into the old hole so the ball cannot go between the newly located post and the other rubber. This has been discussed already on numerous threads.

Thanks man...I'm a little behind on my reading. If I had used my noodle I could have figured that out.

#70 11 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Agreed. If you have your old posts from xmen with the ramp post mod; use those. I kept the avengers big ones in their default position and added the skinny ones from xmen in the next slot. Works perfect! Not too easy, not too difficult - gameplay wise. Actually it's a little easier for obvious reasons, so I'm thinking of removing the rubber to see how that effects gameplay. I just hate games with cheap 'not a chance to save' drains.

#71 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Agreed. If you have your old posts from xmen with the ramp post mod; use those. I kept the Avengers big ones in their default position and added the skinny ones from xmen in the next slot. Works perfect! Not too easy, not too difficult - gameplay wise. Actually it's a little easier for obvious reasons, so I'm thinking of removing the rubber to see how that effects gameplay. I just hate games with cheap 'not a chance to save' drains.

Good advice. I am going to use these small posts and the smallest size rubber for mine:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=320

It should make the game a little harder to nudge against outlane drains but not too hard.

#72 11 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Good advice. I am going to use these small posts and the smallest size rubber for mine:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=320
It should make the game a little harder to nudge against outlane drains but not too hard.

I just called Chas to replace the back box light mounts (NO Soldering required...yeah!!) and he is going to send me an additional post and the replacement back box light mounts (white).

#73 11 years ago
Quoted from absocountry2:

I understand that but these hang ups are not from something coming loose, they are far to common for that. The design needed a small tweak to make it perfect. Many of them going to homes need tweaks to stop them. That is a minor design flaw.

We are not sure how many of them need these tweaks. Again, it's always the ones that are bad that people talk about. Mine needed them. About 4-5 others that are in various threads needed them. They sold way more avengers pins than that.

#74 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

We are not sure how many of them need these tweaks. Again, it's always the ones that are bad that people talk about. Mine needed them. About 4-5 others that are in various threads needed them. They sold way more Avengers pins than that.

You are right, we heard about all of them with problems, the numbers do not support a possible flaw. Stern/Gomez have solutions to a problem that is too small to address. Nothing is wrong at all.

#75 11 years ago

I have had zero issues with my Hulk from day one.
I set it up and have been playing it.
Very rarely do I get balls trapped by Hulk.
So there is one for you with no issues.

Bill

#76 11 years ago

mine worked fine out of the box, at least so far. I find this game a little difficult but getting better at it, definitely liking it .........

#77 11 years ago

Just got mine set up last night. Have only played a dozen games on it, my son a couple, but no ball hangups at hulk at all. Black Widow ramp is fine, has needed no adjustment at all. Full plunge makes it all the way to the lanes, so pretty sure I am okay there, even though my pitch is at 6.9 right now.

Mine doesn't have the new plastic to stop possible ball loss at the back of hulk, so will probably have to do something with that, and I need to close in the inlanes because I suck.

#78 11 years ago

Mine has been pretty perfect so far.

#79 11 years ago
Quoted from BDillon:

Bill

Quoted from coasterguy:

Mine has been pretty perfect so far.

+ 2

#80 11 years ago

I have had zero issues with my Hulk, as well. The longest ball trap I have ever experienced is about 3 seconds.

#81 11 years ago
Quoted from BDillon:

Bill

You say zero issues, then very rarely, then no issues. If you have then rarely, you still have them. That is not no issues. I am not saying the game is bad or not fun or even worth it. Just saying if Stern has addressed it, it was an issue for enough people.

Big props to Stern for addressing the issues BTW!

#82 11 years ago

Most every pin has ball hang up issues to some degree when they release. Stern doesnt do a whole lot of play testing past the design phase, so they wait to see what happens in the field. No different then the way Williams did it in the past either. There were a lot of parts added after the fact to prevent ball hang ups for Williams, and Stern is fortunate enough to be able to address most of these things via software only. Williams didnt have control over the coil strength etc like Stern does. Super irritating though, since some basic level play testing would prevent all of this.

#83 11 years ago

I'm sure this is correctable . How much is each game a buck?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 26.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avengers-is-it-playable-not-the-one-i-played/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.