(Topic ID: 36200)

Avengers- is it playable? Not the one I played.

By PEN

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

I went to a location with a Hulk Le tonight with a friend and fellow pinsider to try the new game. I can not give a real review because the game was useless. The ball became trapped on the left Hulk fist on every game we played, then after failing to release it on ball search it would end that players turn. The next player would end up with a ball stuck on top of the ball that was still stuck. This happend on every game we played. Avengers might be fun, but with this issue I have no opinion other then, I do not wish to put any more money in the game.... until this issue is worked out.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 11 years ago

I played 20 games on a Hulk tonight with zero problems.

Weird

In fact it was getting play nonstop for 6.5 hours & I don't think the glass came off once.

#3 11 years ago

bummer. Operator really needs to dial in his game before putting it out to screw his customers.

#4 11 years ago

I have a very similar story...
Thursday I went to a bar called My Father's Place.
Avenge t's LE was running old code ( as was xmen and acdc preminum) and had a lot of problems...ie widow ramp causing hang ups, hulk malfunctioning ...after a lot of ball searchs and spent bout $10 really wasn't too impressed.
But then...
Friday went to markmon's and played a dialed in game, night and day difference.
Black widow shots didn't hold the ball up once and the updated code made a big difference.
Games actually fun if its set up correctly.

#5 11 years ago

A dailed in game makes all the difference indeed. It's sad that to many ops neglect their pins on location, but at the same time complain about not earning enough. :p

A good friend of mine is an op over here, if every op was like him, i would bet more pins would be played. His games are a shining example of how it should be! The look and play awesome!
Ferm yeah!!

#6 11 years ago

The location I was at is one of the best in the US. Any info from an owner of this game? Are the Hulk arms adjustable so the ball does not get stuck? I had the ball get stuck in a few locations in the Hulk area. If the arms are adjustable, it seams it will fix the issue, but then the fists will not make contact with the ball.

#7 11 years ago

how do you dial in the bw ramp?

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from mcfly:

2-3 washers at the entrance of the bridge with the screw on the red post. Between the rubber and metal - raises the hairpin shot just enough to make it flush with the bridge. Can hit the BW over and over now. Very satisfying shot.

#9 11 years ago

Also, I've pinpointed the cause for stuck balls at hulk which I'm 99% sure was the problem with the OPs location game. It's the pressure plate and switch before hulk. If anyone's having stuck balls, their pressure plate either lost the spring under the pf that attaches the pressure plate and switch - or their pressure plate needs to be tightened down. I haven't done extensive testing yet as I've been busy. But, I started having a lot of trapped balls (1in10 games) and found that one of two springs popped out. While under the hood I noticed I could tighten two screws that keep the plate secure which freed up some breathing room for the switch to register. Im hoping to have it dialed in perfect but need to do more testing with what the best adjustment is.

So for those that think the hulk figure is not designed properly or kills flow for ball searches, it's not hulk but the switch leading to hulk.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I played 20 games on a Hulk tonight with zero problems.
Weird
In fact it was getting play nonstop for 6.5 hours & I don't think the glass came off once.

I have to say the same thing. I was expecting numerous Hulk issues when I first ordered the game and I was willing to look past them. However, I played about 20 games in the last two days with zero Hulk issues. When the ball does get stuck he kicks it out in under 3 seconds every time.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I played 20 games on a Hulk tonight

What was the concensus from the cp players?

#12 11 years ago

Adding a opto in that area to raise arms would be an easy (Factory) fix.
Thankfully over 100+ games and I have had to lift the glass once.
Now on a busy location 50 games a day the glass would be off every other day.

Op gets money once a week....game is out of commission 4-5 days out of 7.

#13 11 years ago

Did you tell the operator you had a problem with the game? He can't fix it if he doesn't know about it.

#14 11 years ago

I've now talked to a few guys that have spoken honest after opening the box, everyone of them has issues. Ball hang ups is a major problem. Also sounds like the game needs to be pitch out to the max if you want the ball to return and flow better. Sounds like quality control and beta testing aren't occurring at Stern!! The biggest bummer is the Hulk versions with the Green DMD, the green is half as bright as a normal red DMD!!! That SUCKS!

#15 11 years ago

I played an LE and had same issues with the ball getting stuck for me almost every game. It happened just as much as the test game at gameworks.

When it does get stuck for 3 seconds and kicks out it constantly hits the back of the drop targets and slowly makes its way out of the Hulk area and to the spinner. It slows the game down so much.

Though the light show of the LE was so much better than the pro test game at gameworks. I am yet to play a game dialed in i guess correctly.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Also, I've pinpointed the cause for stuck balls at hulk which I'm 99% sure was the problem with the OPs location game. It's the pressure plate and switch before hulk. If anyone's having stuck balls, their pressure plate either lost the spring under the pf that attaches the pressure plate and switch - or their pressure plate needs to be tightened down. I haven't done extensive testing yet as I've been busy. But, I started having a lot of trapped balls (1in10 games) and found that one of two springs popped out. While under the hood I noticed I could tighten two screws that keep the plate secure which freed up some breathing room for the switch to register. Im hoping to have it dialed in perfect but need to do more testing with what the best adjustment is.
So for those that think the hulk figure is not designed properly or kills flow for ball searches, it's not hulk but the switch leading to hulk.

Thanks for having me over to play Avengers yesterday, that was a lot of fun!!

Really looking forward to hearing how your fix for the stuck balls works because we had a ton of them yesterday. You said that you weren't getting nearly as many stuck balls before, so hopefully that spring issue is the problem.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Adding a opto in that area to raise arms would be an easy (Factory) fix.
Thankfully over 100+ games and I have had to lift the glass once.
Now on a busy location 50 games a day the glass would be off every other day.
Op gets money once a week....game is out of commission 4-5 days out of 7.

I have never had the ball stuck and had to remove the glass. Have over 500 games on mine already.

Quoted from Exejet:

I've now talked to a few guys that have spoken honest after opening the box, everyone of them has issues. Ball hang ups is a major problem. Also sounds like the game needs to be pitch out to the max if you want the ball to return and flow better. Sounds like quality control and beta testing aren't occurring at Stern!! The biggest bummer is the Hulk versions with the Green DMD, the green is half as bright as a normal red DMD!!! That SUCKS!

Since you obviously don't have the game and really don't know what you're talking about, I suggest letting those that have it and can speak first hand about it do the talking. For example, ALL CAPS complaining about a DMD you have never seen yourself? That's ridiculous. The DMD looks awesome, the pitch does not need to be set to max, and for the most part the games run fine out of the box.

Quoted from mcfly:

In most cases you won't have to do anything. But take off your glass and see how smooth the transition is when the ramp is down. There should be no stairway type bump for the ball to navigate. If there is, you can shim up the first part of the ramp to smoothen it out.

I had several tweaks on mine. But no more than other nib games. But it's great now. Couldn't be happier.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I have never had the ball stuck and had to remove the glass. Have over 500 games on mine already.

I thought I played a lot of pinball. Wow! Thats a lot of play!

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

What was the concensus from the cp players?

Everyone I spoke to really seemed to like it.

Sure we had some gripes about the price (a complaint on every game today) & the annoying visibility issues (inlanes, Thor & the Loki/Iron/Nick area) but it seems like a Dremel & a few Belgian ales will fix that.

The game is so damn weird & cool. We all pretty much said the same thing "lights, wow, color, pretty, ohhhh, cool shots, challenging game, neat layout, I want!". We all kept talking about how the layout is so fresh & how cool some of the design elements are.

Damn I am in my basement now wishing I owned one. Guess I will just suffer through a game of LOTR like a pauper lol.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

2-3 washers at the entrance of the bridge with the screw on the red post. Between the rubber and metal - raises the hairpin shot just enough to make it flush with the bridge. Can hit the BW over and over now. Very satisfying shot.

thanks . mine is arriving at the end of the month and i'm trying to remember all this stuff

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinballmike217:

Did you tell the operator you had a problem with the game? He can't fix it if he doesn't know about it.

I plan on giving the operator a pm today.

#22 11 years ago

I played an LE already and in less than 8 games saw hulk hang ups several times and hang ups in the top right area of the playfield right where the ball comes out of the launch bay. That aside I'd like to see the pro model when it comes out cause it is more in the price range. (wonder if any revisions will be made)

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Since you obviously don't have the game and really don't know what you're talking about, I suggest letting those that have it and can speak first hand about it do the talking. For example, ALL CAPS complaining about a DMD you have never seen yourself? That's ridiculous. The DMD looks awesome, the pitch does not need to be set to max, and for the most part the games run fine out of the box.

In most cases you won't have to do anything. But take off your glass and see how smooth the transition is when the ramp is down. There should be no stairway type bump for the ball to navigate. If there is, you can shim up the first part of the ramp to smoothen it out.
I had several tweaks on mine. But no more than other nib games. But it's great now. Couldn't be happier.

Not pickin, but the DMD is half as bright as every other DMD out there....

That is a fact, the green is cool though...

But it being Soooo dim sucks..

#24 11 years ago

I also noticed the DMD being dimmer. That did not bother me as a location customer.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

Not pickin, but the DMD is half as bright as every other DMD out there....
That is a fact, the green is cool though...
But it being Soooo dim sucks..

Gerry, remove the green filter under the Dmd and it's way brighter. It's no longer half as bright as any Dmd out there. Plus there are no green dmds to compare to. The xpin greens are way more yellow. This thing looks awesome and matches perfectly. With the filter off, the brightness is about the same as a colordmd, almost as bright as the plasmas, less bright than the reds, about equal to an orange plasma with a red filter over it.

And Gerry, as an owner you have and see the Dmd so have a right to judge it. Exejet is outraged by hearsay. Stupid. But I guess you of all people can understand that based on all your pre ownership outrage lol.

#26 11 years ago

I played a Hulk the other night at a friend's house and loved it overall, but yeah, the green DMD looked terrible to me. It was right near an assortment of other games and was obviously dimmer than not just the newer LED style, but even standard orange ones. Definitely not worth the trade-off for the green effect if you ask me. It just looked kinda muddy and gross. I couldn't believe that I hadn't heard any complaints about it yet.

We also got several ball traps on the ramp and under Hulk's arms, but nothing that wasn't fixed by a ball search.

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Gerry, remove the green filter under the Dmd and it's way brighter.

I'll give my friend this tip!

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Gerry, remove the green filter under the Dmd and it's way brighter. It's no longer half as bright as any Dmd out there. Plus there are no green dmds to compare to. The xpin greens are way more yellow. This thing looks awesome and matches perfectly. With the filter off, the brightness is about the same as a colordmd, almost as bright as the plasmas, less bright than the reds, about equal to an orange plasma with a red filter over it.
And Gerry, as an owner you have and see the Dmd so have a right to judge it. Exejet is outraged by hearsay. Stupid. But I guess you of all people can understand that based on all your pre ownership outrage lol.

I asked somebody bout the filter, and was told it was what it was..

Guess i will give it a shot ... thanks.

#29 11 years ago

Dude. Does no one read my posts? The hulk hang ups are caused by the pressure plate switch. It's such an easy adjustment. Mine (and probably others) is missing one (of two) spring that gives the pressure plate a little spring to activate the switch. The work around until a new spring is shipped from stern is to unscrew two whole screws and give a slight bend to the switch so that the pressure plate doesn't have to rely so much on the spring. Then, tighten the screws that keep the plate flush to the wood pf which gives a little extra breathing room to the switch.

I'm sure the second spring will help even more, but this is a temporary fix. btw, for those that don't own the pin, the pressure plate is what activates hulk. So with these on location games, if that switch is not registered, it will more than likely cause a hulk hang up.

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from Exejet:

I played markmon's Hulk and did not notice it being any dimmer than normal...have you seen one of these in person? Plus, it's GREEN! It looks really cool.

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I played markmon's Hulk and did not notice it being any dimmer than normal...have you seen one of these in person? Plus, it's GREEN! It looks really cool.

I'll admit. I didn't like the green at first. But it quickly grows on you. Haven't tried removing the filter yet but mainly that's because I now like the green.

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I played Eskaybee's Hulk yesterday and I love the Green DMD! But...it is definitely a bit dimmer than the red one on XM or AC/DC.

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I played Eskaybee's Hulk yesterday and I love the Green DMD! But...it is definitely a bit dimmer than the red one on XM or AC/DC.

You're always very objective. "a bit dimmer" is a stark contrast to "terrible."

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Dude. Does no one read my posts? The hulk hang ups are caused by the pressure plate switch. It's such an easy adjustment. Mine (and probably others) is missing one (of two) spring that gives the pressure plate a little spring to activate the switch. The work around until a new spring is shipped from stern is to unscrew two whole screws and give a slight bend to the switch so that the pressure plate doesn't have to rely so much on the spring. Then, tighten the screws that keep the plate flush to the wood pf which gives a little extra breathing room to the switch.
I'm sure the second spring will help even more, but this is a temporary fix. btw, for those that don't own the pin, the pressure plate is what activates hulk. So with these on location games, if that switch is not registered, it will more than likely cause a hulk hang up.

Im a bit confused. The pressure plate you speak of is the one in front of Hulk that you can clearly see in the picture of my OP... Right? The balls are trapped on the fist. How does the pressure plate play into the equation on these particular ball traps?

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

Im a bit confused. The pressure plate you speak of is the one in front of Hulk that you can clearly see in the picture of my OP... Right? The balls are trapped on the fist. How does the pressure plate play into the equation on these particular ball traps?

When the plat triggers a ball, hulk spazzes, liftshis arms, and swings em which will knock the ball out of the area. If the switch doesn't work, hulk won't move and cause ball jams.

#36 11 years ago

Just took mine out of the box tonight and have had no problems at all with gameplay. Had to adjust a ramp on acdc but no problems at all on Hulk. Did have an LED pop out from its base but no gameplay problems. Takes a bit to get the feel of the game but it has sucked me in and I want to get better at playing. Hulk 123 so I guess maybe they had a few kinks worked out from the earlier numbers?

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

When the plat triggers a ball, hulk spazzes, liftshis arms, and swings em which will knock the ball out of the area. If the switch doesn't work, hulk won't move and cause ball jams.

Exactly.

Were you ever able to find a missing spring? Are you sure a spring came out?

#38 11 years ago

Out of 100 or so games I've only had the ball hang twice. Once for 3-4 seconds(ish) and one where it was hung for 10 or so seconds. The pin isn't at a high pitch. Maybe something needs tweaking??

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Exactly.
Were you ever able to find a missing spring? Are you sure a spring came out?

Just got a confirmation from JJ at GEX (dang his response time is lightning fast!). There is only ONE spring. Hope a bunch of owners don't start requesting a second spring lol. Anyway, for me, bending the metal prong of the plate switch up to give it breathing room and tightening the plate screws holding it to the wood seems to have done the trick.

#40 11 years ago

The problems are there, but for my game only when multiball is going. I am running the latest software and at least one ball always gets stuck behind hulks arm during multiball. On many occasions I'll have two balls stuck. If I was putting it on location just out of the box, I agree it would be useless without putting some modification work in to it.

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I'll admit. I didn't like the green at first. But it quickly grows on you. Haven't tried removing the filter yet but mainly that's because I now like the green.

It's still green without the filter. Just a bit brighter.

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from Legacy:

The problems are there, but for my game only when multiball is going. I am running the latest software and at least one ball always gets stuck behind hulks arm during multiball. On many occasions I'll have two balls stuck. If I was putting it on location just out of the box, I agree it would be useless without putting some modification work in to it.

I think a lot of the hang ups were improved on software 1.2. Of a pressure plate switch was sensed and no other switches trigger inside 3-4 secs, hulk goes crazy which reases balls. On 1.1 this took longer. During multiball, the other switches are hot by other balls do it bypasses its release logic.

#43 11 years ago

I spent all day making adjustments today and my new Hulk is finally playing pretty well. I added an additional post after moving the right outlane down, balls were frequently getting stuck in there. I was also getting many stuck balls in the Thor drop targets that would just hammer the plastic above. While doing a white rubber replacement I saw there were two posts to the sides if the metal bar and the rubber that should have been back there behind the targets was simply missing from the factory. Adding the missing rubber has pretty much solved all the hang ups there.

I'm still getting a lot of hulk hang ups, at least one per game as the ball can rocket into the hulk area when the H target is down and get up under his right arm without touching the pressure plate at all. I added a washer to even out the black widow ramp transition and that has helped with some rejects. One if the best changes I made was adding a washer under the standup target between the Hawkeye and Captain America lanes. The washer went on the right screw when looking at the bottom of the playfield, this tilts the target ever so slightly to the right and completely opened up that shot for me.

Still looking at some shooter lane plastic tweaks as the ball doesn't always make it to the top on a full plunge but its much more playable now vs when I unboxed it yesterday. Out of the box my game was just one ball hang after another. Just posted 218M on 5 ball and reached the helicopter battle for the first time as well as many vs multiballs.

#44 11 years ago

I've been playing a Hulk at my friends house after work a bunch lately. I think the green DMD looks great. Then again, he has other machines around it so it sort of stands out. Maybe if it's by itself it isn't that impressive.

I'll pass on the tip for fixing the Hulk. We were having the same problem with it and getting it hung up in a lot of games. Hopefully that fixes it, it's an annoying problem.

#45 11 years ago
Quoted from sturner:

I think the green DMD looks great.

I posted a comparison picture with the green glare guard taken out, and placed over part of the DMD:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avengers-le-what-adjustments-should-i-expect-to-make#post-595538

#46 11 years ago

I also felt the green was to dim on mine. But after removing
Green filter it is much better

#47 11 years ago

It's definitely brighter but I like the darker green. Let's be honest, green isn't as stark as say red or blue. Even if you compare it to a car or t-shirt: blue and red are always going to have more depth than green.

Blue photons are the most vivid and are going to penetrate the deepest into the DMD's pixels. Followed by red, orange, and yellow.

"I think that green is the weakest color. All of its strengths are easily and regularly negated by every other color."

#48 11 years ago

Blue photon torpedo's are also the most powerful in Star Trek, so this all makes sense!

Agree with Eggbert, the green is sweet but not flashy, which I'm ok with.

#49 11 years ago

Any word on whether Stern or Gomez is aware of the ball hang-ups with Hulk? I wonder if employees at that company just ignore all these things when they play one in their break-room. That's probably a very awkward feeling though. "Did you see that, Joe? Umm, nah, I didn't see anything if you didn't." Lol.

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from NashBridgezz:

Any word on whether Stern or Gomez is aware of the ball hang-ups with Hulk? I wonder if employees at that company just ignore all these things when they play one in their break-room. That's probably a very awkward feeling though. "Did you see that, Joe? Umm, nah, I didn't see anything if you didn't." Lol.

Hey man, 1.2 code has corrected nearly all ball hangups. No need to trash the game when the problem has pretty much been fixed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 26.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avengers-is-it-playable-not-the-one-i-played and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.