Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200204_180032 (resized).jpg
20200204_180621 (resized).jpg
20200204_180628 (resized).jpg
20200202_210243 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hi!
I just recieved and set up a used Avngers i bought today, and have an issue with the HULK drop targets.
They are not registering when hit, and therefore not reseting when all are dropped.
In switch they dont register when down. I reset the connector to the drop target opto (?) board, and also made sure all connectors in backbox were sitting tight. All fuses are okay.

is this a familiar problem with stern dmd drop targets? I took a photo of the drop target board, and dont know how it works as Ive never seen that type before? It looks kinda like opto's, but there does not seem to be a transmitter/reciever-thing? attached a photo of it below.

Any ideas on what the issue might be, or how to adjust it? I see some threads about serice bulletin, but that seemed more related to target bank attempting to reset and not making it.

Thanks!

20200202_210243 (resized).jpg20200202_210243 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago

I had this problem with my Hulk LE. It was just the connector. It is IDC style where the wires go between blades in the connector housing. They can work loose very easily. Try pushing them in properly with a small screwdriver.

#3 4 years ago

Hot glue it tight see if that helps

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Hot glue it tight see if that helps

Hot glue....the pins or connector?
The connector itself was sitting really good, so its not loose.
But I will try to press the wires deeper down with something, see if it makes better contact with the pins.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

Hot glue....the pins or connector?
The connector itself was sitting really good, so its not loose.
But I will try to press the wires deeper down with something, see if it makes better contact with the pins.

The connector, but I reread your first post that’s probably not the issue, I had minor issue with a bunch of my Stern games drop targets, glitchy they are

#6 4 years ago

Do the red/green opto lights change at all when you manually drop and raise the targets?

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Do the red/green opto lights change at all when you manually drop and raise the targets?

I will check. should they do that regardless of being connected or not? I mean should they change when dropped, even though the switch in switch test is not registering?

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

I will check. should they do that regardless of being connected or not? I mean should they change when dropped, even though the switch in switch test is not registering?

I would assume they would change, if they don’t perhaps that board is bad.

But definitely check the wiring is seated well and not broken inside that connector as mentioned above

#9 4 years ago

Following. Never had a problem with mine. I can check lights on my board if it helps.

#10 4 years ago

I pressed the wires into the connector a little extra, also i checked the opto board is working in itself. It is changing led color state when dropping the targets.

I found atwo three pin connectors disconnected in the cabinett, with matching colors... yellow brown, yellow red and red. Any idea if it could be the culprit, is it safe to connect them?

20200204_180032 (resized).jpg20200204_180032 (resized).jpg20200204_180621 (resized).jpg20200204_180621 (resized).jpg20200204_180628 (resized).jpg20200204_180628 (resized).jpg
#11 4 years ago

Well it didnt help no change

#12 4 years ago

So as of now im totally in the dark. It seems there either is a component on the drop target opto board which is faulry so even though the optos in itself are working, it does not manage to send the signal to the connector.

Or, something is broken between connector on opto board and connector on driver board in the backbox.

Anyone know how to measure if there is a a break in the signal on one of the wires?

Or what is most likely? I am considering orderi g a replacement opto board.

1 year later
#13 2 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

So as of now im totally in the dark. It seems there either is a component on the drop target opto board which is faulry so even though the optos in itself are working, it does not manage to send the signal to the connector.
Or, something is broken between connector on opto board and connector on driver board in the backbox.
Anyone know how to measure if there is a a break in the signal on one of the wires?
Or what is most likely? I am considering orderi g a replacement opto board.

Hi, do you still have the machine and if so have you figured out the issue?

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from usafstars:

Hi, do you still have the machine and if so have you figured out the issue?

Hi, had to buy a new official stern drop target opto card.
Replacement repro board was faulty, but borrowed a WPT card and it worked, so that verified it.

Machine is still mine, going good

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:

Hi, had to buy a new official stern drop target opto card.
Replacement repro board was faulty, but borrowed a WPT card and it worked, so that verified it.
Machine is still mine, going good

Glad to hear and thanks for the info. I have one too and it’s always good to know how others have fixed their issues.

All the best!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

4,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
White Oak, PA
$ 26.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avengers-hulk-drop-targets-not-registering-and-resetting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.