(Topic ID: 44386)

Avengers Gomez's Last Game? Possibly According to the man himself...

By BC_Gambit

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 65 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by pinmanguy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 11 years ago

The pro is the most boring pin me and my friends have played, to the point where If the other pin on location is occupied by one if us my friends play bbh or daytona until it's free. Avengers has hang ups constantly weak shooter and when it does work the last out is so plain and boring is a chore to play. I hope the le feels fuller haven't played that yet

#52 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Exactly. BC its just bizarre to read you constants thoughts on what you have not played. Christ, enough folks know better than to buy a game they have not played, reviewing one should be up there as well.
    You obviously have a lot of good input and knowledge in the pinball world. This just takes away from that.

Thank you for the partial compliment. Honestly I know there is more I could positively contribute to the pinball world (I coulda/shoulda/woulda documented bringing back to life the project Firepower II I picked up last year...).

As far as rating how games play, I have to give them plenty of plays. For example, I have played TFLE ~ 20 times, but I do not know the game well enough to rate it by a long shot. I can give examples of "I played it and X happened" but that's not really a review of the gameplay.

I think it is fair to make note of things like voice, music, art, how interesting a game looks to you (knowing it might look different seeing the actual 3 dimensional object in person). What else can I discuss without being a relatively large DB to my family and running away on a regular basis to the mainland just to try out the new hotness .

So basically, reviewing gameplay based on a few plays (or no plays) is utterly ridiculous. If I have ever done that it is unintentional, but still worth a verbal slap. I have been vocal any time I see one of the "too cool for school (tm)" pinball reviews that starts or ends with "I stopped partway through my first game it was so bad".

Saying "wow, that backglass looks like awesome/ass sauce" or "this sounds like a _____" is pretty fair game thanks to the interwebs, even if you have not played the game.

Just because a game looks/sounds like ass does not mean it plays like ass, and vice versa.

Just my opinion. If you said "you can't offer an opinion on a given art package because you have not seen it all in person" you would be partially right, but come on. I have eyes and ears.

And some days I have enough spare time to type about what they see and hear

#53 11 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

Old blood = ACDC and Avengers LE; 2 of sterns best in a long time
    New blood = xmen; great game.......now
    Still want new blood?

Uh...Borg isn't what I would call "new blood". Waison didn't design X-Men.

#54 11 years ago
    Quoted from scooter:

I love it every time I play it ,if you don't like it that is your opinion.

Oh you were serious about that, my bad.

#55 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Uh...Borg isn't what I would call "new blood". Waison didn't design X-Men.

you stfu with your logic

#56 11 years ago
    Quoted from Ninefingers:

And I thought I was awesome because I got 4 times in a row once! What a great feeling!

Happened once! Also got 4x once or twice. I would do it all day if i was good enough. I get so nervous when it gets higher...then I choke!

#57 11 years ago
    Quoted from vtec16:

Are we in bizarro land?

Don't know? Is that the "Imperial we"?

#58 11 years ago

Some people say Avengers is a killer pin.
    Others say it's not a killer pin.

One thing we can all agree on is that Ray Lewis is a killer.

#59 11 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

Inlane inserts is the only issue you mentioned that cannot be corrected which is why I think this game would suck for an op. because the game needs tweaks to correct some issues.

Even the inlane insert issues are easily corrected. My light up lanes solved the obscurity issue entirely. The fix cost me about $10 and took about 20 minutes to install.

#60 11 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

I thought LOTR was his last game...

Naw. One of his best (unlike Avengers)--calling it quits after that game would've been closer to the Ray Lewis analogy (apart from the murder/lying/etc. of course!)

Of course, there will always be people here saying the latest pin is an "all-time greatest" to justify the ton o' cash they parted with for it... Time tells. Games like LOTR have held up over the years. Great playfield design with good use of diverters and visually cool ramps that integrate well with the rules. TF and AV aren't at the same level imo.

#61 11 years ago

I own avengers LE. The game is not top 10 materiel in my opinion. The game is fantastic though. Loads of fun. Great rules. Great sound. In top 20 for me personally. (If I sell all machines except 20 avengers would be in that list).

The game shipped with several minor issues. I have corrected all of them. It doesn't matter if I pay $100 or $100,000 for a game. There will be issues. People in this hobby need to learn to solve things and move on rather than bitch endlessly. My game has zero target generated air balls, zero black widow ramp hang ups, hulk occasionally catches the ball but releases it fast, zero hulk saucer loops (had and fixed this), problems solved with the shooter lane and the obscured inlane targets, problem solved with the blocked nick fury shot. Ball easily flies around black widow ramp and almost never rejects. The cube is solid and spins like crazy. Yes it's a shame I had to solve these things myself. But that's part of the fun in this hobby. Now I have a great game. I've played it enough to know its a keeper.

Every single avengers can be tweaked in a couple hours. It's really not a big deal. Those that don't know how to set these things up really should learn. It's not rocket science. Anyone can learn to do it.

#62 11 years ago

I was thinking of putting in LEDs to light up the Loki lanes, but I'm wondering, is there a reason they just don't issue replacement plastics for those lanes with a window to the insert? Seems like an easy fix.

#63 11 years ago

ANYWAY.

I love the enthusiasm he shows in this Johnny Mneumonic Promo vid for Williams. Talks about making his game aggressive and NOT Cute. Talks making it smooth with flow. JM to me is one of the best playfield designs I think he ever came up with. LOTR second. Love the backhandable close ramps. Combos and smooth shots. Fast and as he says in the video. Getting hooked up. Plus it kicks my butt!

Talks about his team too. Worth the watch. Gomez has my respect but not for latest 2013 offering.

#64 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Every single Avengers can be tweaked in a couple hours. It's really not a big deal. Those that don't know how to set these things up really should learn. It's not rocket science. Anyone can learn to do it.

Amen to that! As much time as people complain over and over, they could focus this time on the simple task at hand and fix the "minor" problems that may arise with new or old machines.

#65 11 years ago

Location pins aren't so easy to get set up if the ops don't care

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avengers-gomezs-last-game-possibly-according-to-the-man-himself/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.