4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 2,728 posts
  • 507 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by Onwallst
  • Topic is favorited by 142 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 235 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_6067 (resized).jpeg
Capture1 (resized).JPG
IMG_9741 (resized).JPG
IMG_9740 (resized).JPG
C9723638-FF12-4D4B-B062-D73B3C166FDF (resized).jpeg
CF2D93AA-E793-4D10-BDCA-5FAA420F8DDD (resized).jpeg
7E0CD2DF-E8C5-4C08-AD63-8AE03D7F0CB0 (resized).jpeg
20210108_192245 (resized).jpg
356386D8-927E-49FB-B108-947F27EB03A1 (resized).jpeg
Spinning Disc Adjustment.pdf (PDF preview)
20201230_195950 (resized).jpg
20201230_121407 (resized).jpg
20201230_103902 (resized).jpg
IMG_20201130_133120_905 (resized).jpg
IMG_9548.JPG
20201129_093407 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #143 What we know 29th August Posted by NeilMcRae (4 months ago)

Post #2643 Stern fix for subway hangups right before VUK Posted by Fezmid (24 days ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 4 months ago

I think its gonna be a marvel home version game...

#190 4 months ago

Comic based... so everyone can’t complain about lack of movie music and screen voice actors

#292 4 months ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

If they have delayed it because of Chadwick’s death then good on them!

Is he going to be less dead in a few days?
Is releasing the game going to take away from his accomplishments or put a spotlight on them?

What will the delay be used for?

#564 4 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm surprised that several years and 3 games into the Keith thing people are still asking about code.

Refer to "monkey see, monkey do.." vs actual thinking

Kinda like people counting coils as a way to determine 'good' or not

#728 4 months ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

According to the podcast, Marvel chose and recorded the voice actors, Stern just provided the script. So if they suck it is on Marvel.

we've heard that song before.. and frankly it doesn't ease anyone's concerns

#947 4 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

"Dual Direction Velocity Detection"....it's a plastic spinning disk Stern lol.
Game looks really cool and fun!

Look at the inserts in front of it... there are lights for spinning one one vs the other. There are likely rules about spinning a certain direction... and the game can tell that... including how fast it's spinning.

#951 4 months ago
Quoted from bbulkley:

I'm really not sure why people are so worried about the post under the spinning target. It's clearly much thicker than a a typical playfield post, and those take direct hits from balls all the time. Sure the target post is longer, but the strength goes up with the square of the diameter, so if it's twice as thick as a typical post it will be 4 times as strong. There are plenty of much thinner screws and posts in games that never have issues.

Playfield posts hold up by being extremely secure w/o play. Normally a 1/4" post secured by almost 1/2" of tight contact in the PF hole. Screwed in posts are known to fail because they don't have enough support. People aren't worried about a steel rod itself breaking.. but worried about how it's supported. It's about something long and skinny taking ball hits and what that does to where it's attached. Look at the disc in the video
Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 3.11.58 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 3.12.28 PM (resized).png

That base and it's mech is where all the lateral abuse is going to happen. You can see they have a plastic shape there to help direct the ball downward into the hole.. which also prevents the mech from just taking head on ball slams. At the end of the day, it's a long rod attached to a base that is going to get smashed at the end of the rod. It's going to take abuse. Simple physics. But it's not like it isn't something they wouldn't have planned for either... so we should just assume the engineer isn't incompetent until they give us a reason to believe otherwise

#952 4 months ago
Quoted from bbulkley:

If we make some gross assumptions about diameter and length: a 10mm steel bar deflected at 100mm from the support point would need about 215N of force to bend. It would be very challenging to get that kind of force from a pinball.

Posts don't fail because the rod bends... they fail because of where/how they are attached.

#953 4 months ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I wonder if they will have rules around it similar to the Jeep in Jurassic Park? Spin left or right to move the shots.

It's doctor strange... so imagine spinning time forward.. or spinning time backwards..

That's an easy artistic direction to take..

#979 4 months ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

The underside is curved to re-direct the force, my dude.

Uhmmm that’s exactly what I said... maybe it just didn’t come through?

“ You can see they have a plastic shape there to help direct the ball downward into the hole.. which also prevents the mech from just taking head on ball slams”

That’s exactly what the second part of the line is saying... ball redirected avoids the mech taking the full impact... it doesn’t need to stop the ball fully as it would in a post or target. It’s a deflection of the ball’s energy vs absorbing it like a head on post shot. The redirect both improves the reliability of the shot and improves the mechanical design.

#1053 4 months ago
Quoted from smassa:

As much as I would love this unfortunately i dont believe Marvel can use the Surfer as they sold off the right to 20th century fox.

You mean the 20th century studios that disney now owns... as well as marvel?

And that was just movie rights...

#1228 4 months ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

How many of these can pinside have?
[quoted image]

So much for waiting for club threads for games to ship...

#1290 4 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

Yeah, very cheap, but I guess it works as a kind of "popped off the page" comic book aesthetic. Actually, they should have actual comic pages in the background that these pop out of on the screen to cover the cheapness.

Checkout super hero island at islands of adventure.

The style unfortunately did not convey quality...

#1707 4 months ago
Quoted from spandol:

One thing I really missed, like on the JP stream, Elwin walked through the game at the beginning, explaining everything. I think you said people didn't want that, that they just wanted someone to play and less talking. I found I was so confused at what was going on that it reminded me about how I missed how JP stream was done. It was just very overwhelming. I couldn't watch everything but will when I can, so maybe this was done later in the stream? Not a negative Jack, as you do a great job. Just my view as a player wanting to give some constructive criticism. You can't please everyone I know and some may want to figure things out on their own, but tomorrow maybe you could run through what you know about the goals? Many thanks!

It's because people screamed 'just play it!!" instead of critiquing the real problem which was the rambling, disjointed, unplanned way information was being presented in other reveals. Basically they lost the audience and they were bored and disinterested... when all along they NEED the information, they just were not interested in sitting through a session they weren't really engaged with.

It's classic "chasing the wrong solution" problems when the mob has the answer...

The information is needed to be able to follow what the player is doing and is interested in pursuing... but it must be presented in a digestable, engaging format, that the viewers can get into so they don't get antsy and just want the payoff. It's about structuring the information and the presentation format. Building retention and going from simple, intuitive, building to the layered stuff.

These complex games have a lot to them.. no need to front load EVERYTHING... nor necessarily do it live. That's the part ppl are missing in their solutions.. When you do things with editing you can do things that require setup, progress, etc 'off camera' and thus really shorten up and tidy up the information feed...

1 week later
#2273 4 months ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

Interesting, if that was all lines that would put their yearly production at 12k-15k a year. Figure 5 models a year....they are building 2000-3000 of each model.

There are 5 releases a year.. but they don't build just those 5 games, nor do they build evenly. They have batch sizes they need to stock parts in. They tend to run about 3-4 older titles mixed in with their new releases each year.

They build based on their expected demand... if a title isn't strong, they don't prime the pump with the next batch of parts needed for it. Titles that are strong, they stock parts, and run games in spurts to fill orders and inventory.

#2278 4 months ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

I agree... but if production numbers are maxed at 50/day it means that each title will average 2000 to 3000 each

No because as was already stated... you aren’t splitting that capacity over just your 5 new titles. It’s split over everything they build. New titles, existing titles, vaults, etc.

Plus, their capacity is reasonably elastic and can scale down based on their desire.

Past their first run, they don’t have to keep building a title if they don’t have the demand. And with demand they can keep going and going and going.

All their capacity tells you is how many units they could ship over a time period. How many and WHAT gets built is up to them. Some titles run for years

Right now they have a great backlog of demand and have basically sold out their production forecast for existing titles for the rest of the year...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Seattle, WA
$ 15.00
$ 349.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside