Capture1 (resized).JPG
IMG_9741 (resized).JPG
IMG_9740 (resized).JPG
C9723638-FF12-4D4B-B062-D73B3C166FDF (resized).jpeg
CF2D93AA-E793-4D10-BDCA-5FAA420F8DDD (resized).jpeg
7E0CD2DF-E8C5-4C08-AD63-8AE03D7F0CB0 (resized).jpeg
20210108_192245 (resized).jpg
356386D8-927E-49FB-B108-947F27EB03A1 (resized).jpeg
Spinning Disc Adjustment.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #143 What we know 29th August Posted by NeilMcRae (3 years ago)

Post #2643 Stern fix for subway hangups right before VUK Posted by Fezmid (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HoakyPoaky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#496 3 years ago

Design = Elwin
Code = Nagel
Art = Yeti

That's the Holy Trifecta at Stern IMO. You can't ask for anything better than that.

Looks promising for sure. I'm a sucker for physical ball locks, and love that lower playfield feature on the Premium. Actually two physical ball lock features on the Premium! Looking forward to flipping it

Not a fan that they removed the Captain Marvel Wireform shot from the Pro & replaced with a basic spinner. I love those U-turn ramps.

I think I prefer the BG on the Pro tho. Various heroes are more prominently featured.

#668 3 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Hawkeye challenge modes with a limited number of flips ball save on, you drop flips until you hit a shot which adds some, but if you drain you lose flips but get the ball back....

Well this mode sounds interesting. If I'm understanding correctly, you can build up a limited number of flips for the Hawkeye mode, just like building up arrows in Hawkeye's quiver. Then you have to make your shots on the playfield. Every flip is an arrow used. It's probably tied into some super-X-way-combo variation of ramp & loop shots.

This is why I really enjoy Keith's coding/scoring ideas. Take something as basic as flipping & turn it into something unique.

#1323 3 years ago

"Each gem has a perk tied to it. If you win the battle, you get the gem you’re fighting for, but if lose that battle for the gem, Thanos gets the gem and when you get the wizard mode the gems he has will work against you"

Sold me right here.....along with the other unique shots, various multiballs & mini-wizard modes. I cannot say enough positive things about the way Keith designs the rulesets for his games & integrates them into his playfield designs. Nobody else at Stern thinks the way he does.

I look forward to watching myself utterly failing every single mode, seeing Thanos collect all the stones, snap his fingers, and stealing half my score before everything goes black & my game ends. Haha

1 week later
#2188 3 years ago

I watched the entire stream last night, and I understand the code/lighting effects/etc will be improved eventually. But here are my main thoughts:

1) Might be the best shooting modern pin. Every shot looks satisfying. Love that RT orbit shot that returns via a wireform. This is probably Kieth's best layout by far. Unique, smooth shots & fun to play.

2) The thing that gives me pause is that the main focus of the game is a heavy dose of rinse & repeat. Spin the disc, start a gem mode. Collect a gem, risk a gem, move a gem, lose a gem. Over & over until you fight Thanos. Or collect your Avengers team for mini-wizard modes, with various multiballs spinkled in along the way. Also collect bonuses at the drops if you choose to help you with your quest. Will gem hunting & repeating Black Order faceoffs become extremely tedious after awhile? IDK.

I'm really comparing this to JP, which has a choose-your-own-adventure path. No two games are ever the same. It's all up to the player. Multiple ways to attack it for big points, focus on collecting dinosaurs for perks (which every dinosaur mode is unique BTW), playing all unique multiballs which involve dedicated toys, etc. Even the collecting fossils & DNA is better presented vs the Trophy system on AIQ. The player just has so many ways to play JP, compared to the rather straight-forward gem-hunting approach of AIQ. We'll get some code polish eventually, but the core mechanics of the gameplay won't change.

Perhaps this was the design intention all along with AIQ. It's a huge property that appeals to people of all ages. Perhaps they wanted gameplay that was easier to grasp & a bit more straight-forward for this title. Collect the gems, fight Thanos. Most people can easily understand that concept. I personally just prefer the deeper gameplay options that JP presents.

3) There was zero fanfare for beating Thanos. No lightshow, callouts or anything. This should be an epic moment & even Jack seemed confused. And this will be coded later, but they are somewhat limited. I really wish every new game had a single string of RGB GI bulbs come standard, because it really allows for a wide range of lighting effects that can't be achieved with just the inserts. Thinking for example like the epic Horde mode on TWD. Looks like AIQ just has white GI.

I'm still very high on AIQ, I just want to see what it looks like in 6 months when the code/effects are finalized before deciding to buy. JP set the bar extremely high for a modern pin IMO.

#2191 3 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

Completely agree with you HoakyPoaky.
I posted earlier about your point number 3. There needs to be way more fanfare when you complete Gem Quests and especially for beating Thanos - using lighting, sound effects, the display, and callouts. One way to do this is to kill the flippers and do the fanfare. Another is to utilize a shot that holds the ball for the final shot (e.g. Stark Tower). Hold the ball and make the victory seem epic.
One simple idea for defeating Thanos would be, once his health bar is at its lowest, you have to hit Stark Tower. Hit the shot and the Tower holds the ball. But to defeat him, you have to hit that held ball again (like IM SJP) within x seconds. Have all the lights go out at this point except for the indicators to shoot the Stark Tower again with cool sound effects. Fail to hit it within the time period and Thanos gains some of his health bar back and you have to make other shots which are now lit to get his health back down. If and when you are able to hit the ball held at the Stark Tower within the time, the flippers die and you fire all the coils in the game, and have a big explosion on the display and with sound effects, for an epic payoff.
Just an idea but I think this kind of thing is great because it adds to the tension and celebrates the victory in a manner that it deserves.
I have full faith that Keith and Ray and their team will polish the game and add these cool moments. They have done an amazing job already.

Yeah the Thanos mode definitely needs some polish. Perks/nerfs depending on who owns the gems. Basically progress through protecting each gem, by hitting the same 3 shots every time (for each gem), then hit Thanos a million times until you beat him. They can definitely improve on that. There are multiple places to lock balls like the tower, at the popup post, and in the subway. They have to take advantage of that somehow.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Nixa, MO
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 16.50
$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 34.00
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Columbia, SC
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

8,924 (OBO)
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HoakyPoaky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avengers-endgame-pin?tu=HoakyPoaky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.