Capture1 (resized).JPG
IMG_9741 (resized).JPG
IMG_9740 (resized).JPG
C9723638-FF12-4D4B-B062-D73B3C166FDF (resized).jpeg
CF2D93AA-E793-4D10-BDCA-5FAA420F8DDD (resized).jpeg
7E0CD2DF-E8C5-4C08-AD63-8AE03D7F0CB0 (resized).jpeg
20210108_192245 (resized).jpg
356386D8-927E-49FB-B108-947F27EB03A1 (resized).jpeg
Spinning Disc Adjustment.pdf (PDF preview)

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #143 What we know 29th August Posted by NeilMcRae (3 years ago)

Post #2643 Stern fix for subway hangups right before VUK Posted by Fezmid (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Apollyon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#328 3 years ago

I'm ready for some grainy leaked photos...

#329 3 years ago

I fear that the LE will be Thanos themed and cause me to spend more money than I want to. I'm thinking like the molding/art on the Marvel Arcade1up.

twJBqdBump6bFS4r3CBBwf (resized).jpgtwJBqdBump6bFS4r3CBBwf (resized).jpg
1 week later
#2019 3 years ago

First of all, congrats to sk8ball for another amazing game. It's great to see new games with innovative shot entrances and exits, great flow, cool theme integration, and cohesive rules that keep you coming back game after game. And yet another beautiful game by @zombieyeti. Love the art work.

Maiden quickly became my favourite pin, and I recently made room (by selling Spider-man and Deadpool) for both JP and AIQ. Can't wait for them to arrive!

I think the voice callouts are pretty good - some real solid ones (Hulk, Thor, Thanos, Black Panther), some that are so-so (Iron-man, Captain America, Black Order) and some that I have no idea who they are (Black Widow? Captain Marvel?).

The rules are great so far. The intricacies of collecting gems, and where you place them adds depth and strategy, and incorporates well with the story.

My only criticisms are minor and likely to be addressed as the code is updated.

The first is that the game needs more Thanos. He is prominent on the art and to the story. He is an epic villain. Having more of him would be great both in callouts (taunts) and modes. I really hope the rumour of a half way Thanos battle is true. That would be perfect.

The second relates to polish. I am a mediocre pinball player at best. But what draws me to games are really cool modes. I play to try to get to and complete immersive modes. What I love are the modes that create epic experiences, through callouts, lighting, sound effects and innovative and fun rules. For example: Horde in TWD (the tension that is created though the thumping sound effects and darkened and pulsing lighting); Destroy the Ring in LOTR (epic music and callouts and the superb payoff when you complete the mode with all the coils firing); Destroy the Death Star in SW (with the movie callouts and the actual explosion of the toy in the premium / LE); Winter has Come in GOT (with the winter sound effects, and the flashing lights to make you feel like you are in a winter storm). These all really stand out and make you chase the dragon in wanting to get back to those modes. So far, I feel like this is missing from a number of the modes in AIQ. What seems to be missing from the Gem Quests, is the payoff when you complete them. There were many times in the stream that you didn't even know the mode was over. These are the 5 main modes in the game, and IMO, there should be a significant payoff when you collect a gem (e.g. major music, epic callout [like a "jack f@ckin' pot" in MET or "SUPER JACKPOT" by Gimli in LOTR], priority on the LCD screen for the completion animation). For example, when you collect a Gem, the screen should show, first and foremost, a payoff animation similar to what is used in Deadpool when you defeat an enemy or complete a quest. Collecting a different hurry up or jackpot should be briefly ignored for that time period to convey the significance of getting the gem. Similarly I noticed in the stream, in the Black Order battle, where KME collected a JP (one I think was a 4x JP), and there was no fanfare at all. That should be celebrated big time! I'd love to see some cool lighting effects in certain modes (either darkened lighting, strobing or pulsing effects, etc). Having said that, Gamma Ray is amazing already - love the sound effect and LCD screen usage. More polish like this would take this game over the top.

All in all, nothing but praise for the team from Stern so far. I am super excited to get mine hopefully next month.

#2113 3 years ago
Quoted from DeadFlip:

I plan on getting the camera reaaaaaaal deep in there.

Like "balls deep"?

#2189 3 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I watched the entire stream last night, and I understand the code/lighting effects/etc will be improved eventually. But here are my main thoughts:
1) Might be the best shooting modern pin. Every shot looks satisfying. Love that RT orbit shot that returns via a wireform. This is probably Kieth's best layout by far. Unique, smooth shots & fun to play.
2) The thing that gives me pause is that the main focus of the game is a heavy dose of rinse & repeat. Spin the disc, start a gem mode. Collect a gem, risk a gem, move a gem, lose a gem. Over & over until you fight Thanos. Or collect your Avengers team for mini-wizard modes, with various multiballs spinkled in along the way. Also collect bonuses at the drops if you choose to help you with your quest. Will gem hunting & repeating Black Order faceoffs become extremely tedious after awhile? IDK.
I'm really comparing this to JP, which has a choose-your-own-adventure path. No two games are ever the same. It's all up to the player. Multiple ways to attack it for big points, focus on collecting dinosaurs for perks (which every dinosaur mode is unique BTW), playing all unique multiballs which involve dedicated toys, etc. Even the collecting fossils & DNA is better presented vs the Trophy system on AIQ. The player just has so many ways to play JP, compared to the rather straight-forward gem-hunting approach of AIQ. We'll get some code polish eventually, but the core mechanics of the gameplay won't change.
Perhaps this was the design intention all along with AIQ. It's a huge property that appeals to people of all ages. Perhaps they wanted gameplay that was easier to grasp & a bit more straight-forward for this title. Collect the gems, fight Thanos. Most people can easily understand that concept. I personally just prefer the deeper gameplay options that JP presents.
3) There was zero fanfare for beating Thanos. No lightshow, callouts or anything. This should be an epic moment & even Jack seemed confused. And this will be coded later, but they are somewhat limited. I really wish every new game had a single string of RGB GI bulbs come standard, because it really allows for a wide range of lighting effects that can't be achieved with just the inserts. Thinking for example like the epic Horde mode on TWD. Looks like AIQ just has white GI.
I'm still very high on AIQ, I just want to see what it looks like in 6 months when the code/effects are finalized before deciding to buy. JP set the bar extremely high for a modern pin IMO.

Completely agree with you HoakyPoaky.

I posted earlier about your point number 3. There needs to be way more fanfare when you complete Gem Quests and especially for beating Thanos - using lighting, sound effects, the display, and callouts. One way to do this is to kill the flippers and do the fanfare. Another is to utilize a shot that holds the ball for the final shot (e.g. Stark Tower). Hold the ball and make the victory seem epic.

One simple idea for defeating Thanos would be, once his health bar is at its lowest, you have to hit Stark Tower. Hit the shot and the Tower holds the ball. But to defeat him, you have to hit that held ball again (like IM SJP) within x seconds. Have all the lights go out at this point except for the indicators to shoot the Stark Tower again with cool sound effects. Fail to hit it within the time period and Thanos gains some of his health bar back and you have to make other shots which are now lit to get his health back down. If and when you are able to hit the ball held at the Stark Tower within the time, the flippers die and you fire all the coils in the game, and have a big explosion on the display and with sound effects, for an epic payoff.

Just an idea but I think this kind of thing is great because it adds to the tension and celebrates the victory in a manner that it deserves.

I have full faith that Keith and Ray and their team will polish the game and add these cool moments. They have done an amazing job already.

#2196 3 years ago
Quoted from Halfwasted:

They need to add a lot of polish to modes to make them feel special and understandable.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this description. The modes seem to feel all sameish (not in the rules, but rather in their presentation). And the display could do a better job of helping you know what to shoot for given the complexity of the rules.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Columbia, SC
€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 19.00
€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

6,644 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dacula, GA
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 69.50
Playfield - Other
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 16.50
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Old Town Pinball

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Sarasota, FL

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Apollyon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/avengers-endgame-pin?tu=Apollyon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.